Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Re: Markgraf leadership

No longer true. There’s a ‘Markman’ now who’s is a mid rank commander who shows up somewhere in the 22 gold range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What are some good team pairings? My Dwarf and Dryad game is winding down, so I'm looking for other matchups where there isn't resource competition or Age penalties for the team ups (like Dwarf and Enchanter would be a bad matchup, or Dryad and Enchanter... basically enchanter fucks up everyone).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Would it be possible to make a mod to play two factions at once? Like, you get the dwarf AND dryad start at the same time? Like a team game, but everything is pooled.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I don't think there's anything stopping you from playing multiple sides of a team. You can even directly support each other in battle.

For a mod that lets you play multiple factions in the same turn, just replace the apprentice with another leader and add that leader/apprentice to the pool of recruitable commanders for your faction.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah I meant like, the Dwarf's iron is accessible to the Dryad, sort of thing.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Zereth posted:

Yeah I meant like, the Dwarf's iron is accessible to the Dryad, sort of thing.

Three things:
1 dryads can get iron, need it for some unit upgrades.
2 did you mean two players with a shared resource pool? like in Sanctum 2? Nice, but not afaik. I don’t even think there’s a way to send or trade resources like in Dominions, unfortunately
3 if you meant one player, just hiring or charming a unit with rituals that use that resource will unlock it, in which case see the above post

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yes, you could make mods with "merged factions". but they would have to be a new faction that you designed for each combination

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Jazerus posted:

yes, you could make mods with "merged factions". but they would have to be a new faction that you designed for each combination

Some of the mods on the workshop add new stuff to existing factions... but let the player beware, whether your super factions are new or edited versions of existing ones you still might find a random AI player making use of your stuff.

...It might actually be kinda fun playing against some of the OP super mod factions.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I was watching a stream when someone was extremely surprised by the Beholder class kicking their poo poo in the first year or two.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Maws of the Earth is funny, it deals massive damage in a 5 tile line moving randomly away from the targeted unit, but the range on it is 6 so any cast that isn't from maximum range can easily gib the casting mage (it's mostly magical blunt damage, so there's no real immunity from it)

I'll probably click it off if I get it again

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Donkringel posted:

What are some good team pairings? My Dwarf and Dryad game is winding down, so I'm looking for other matchups where there isn't resource competition or Age penalties for the team ups (like Dwarf and Enchanter would be a bad matchup, or Dryad and Enchanter... basically enchanter fucks up everyone).

Necromancer + any human or even hoburg heavy class. Soldiers make a mess, Necromancer cleans them up.

Never seen the AI only classes. Do they only show up at certain difficulties?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Witch + Enchanter. The Enchanter leaves the forests alone, the Witch lets the Enchanter take some of the swamps she made out of farms and make them into clay golems. If poison spam can't kill something, a big fuckin' wall of clay golems and a few beefier constructs probably can.

Baron + Burgmeister. Baron turns swamps into farms and mops up brigand lairs, Burgmeister turns the farms into hoburg villages. They both throw fuckoff huge doomstacks at anything that pisses them off.

Dwarf Queen + Pale Ones. Share scrying to efficiently find and divvy up mines, use burrowing units to connect the underground dwarf hub to a larger cave network, conquer the underground together and pop out of the earth like cooperating trapdoor spiders. Don't flood Agartha though.

Enchanter + High Priestess. gently caress it, hail Satan, just loving convert every node on the goddamn map into more units

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Flavahbeast posted:

Maws of the Earth is funny, it deals massive damage in a 5 tile line moving randomly away from the targeted unit, but the range on it is 6 so any cast that isn't from maximum range can easily gib the casting mage (it's mostly magical blunt damage, so there's no real immunity from it)

You can give them a flying/floating item and they'll be safe, although they still tend to friendly fire your troops with it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I do appreciate how my Senator God-Emperor can cast a spell that can blind every unit on the battlefield, including himself.

After this game, I’m going to try for a Fallen Empire for the dark god start, but anyone have experience to share breaking into Hades or other relevant planes as the Senator? Augurs have true sight, so I could give them one of several hades immunity items. Renatus have planar immorality (hades), and, I believe, the ability to transfer only themselves in and out of the underworld. Any way to make use of that, because I’m not seeing that off the top of my head unless I somehow use a half-dozen to clear a recruitment point…

The one idea I have is using a shovel, scroll, or pair of carefully placed portable pits to reach hades. Only problem is I cannot remember the exact order of planes when I dig down. I guess I could set up a separate save to experiment with that, since saving is so convenient now. Just not used to thinking I can roll back time in CoE.

Hmmm. Yeah, I’m starting to see how i might be able to visit a few planes with at least +300 gold a turn income, and the knowledge of where things are on hades, with eventual ghost recruitment… or princeps Solaris and lots of tier 2/3 snake mages and ballista sun a choke point, depending on the plane…

Tip: God-form Senator loses all rituals despite having the ritual icon. Makes more sense to ascend the empress first and make sure you’ve appointed enough governors to take care of statue duties before ascending the emperor.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

You can give them a flying/floating item and they'll be safe, although they still tend to friendly fire your troops with it.

It is a tremendously good spell as a kobold.

Oh no, i killed some of my kobolds. How tragic.

Now getting an elemental lord of fire killed by his own meteor spam, that's a problem.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Witch + Enchanter. The Enchanter leaves the forests alone, the Witch lets the Enchanter take some of the swamps she made out of farms and make them into clay golems. If poison spam can't kill something, a big fuckin' wall of clay golems and a few beefier constructs probably can.

Baron + Burgmeister. Baron turns swamps into farms and mops up brigand lairs, Burgmeister turns the farms into hoburg villages. They both throw fuckoff huge doomstacks at anything that pisses them off.

Dwarf Queen + Pale Ones. Share scrying to efficiently find and divvy up mines, use burrowing units to connect the underground dwarf hub to a larger cave network, conquer the underground together and pop out of the earth like cooperating trapdoor spiders. Don't flood Agartha though.

Enchanter + High Priestess. gently caress it, hail Satan, just loving convert every node on the goddamn map into more units

Warlock and Druid might have some synergy. All Warlock needs to do is stop burning down forests for slightly more convenient strategic movement. Druids don't care about lakes, hills, or gem income, so you can do lots of map upgrades. Might be a problem in late game if you start spamming hundreds of Stupid air elementals, I guess.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

avoraciopoctules posted:

Warlock and Druid might have some synergy. All Warlock needs to do is stop burning down forests for slightly more convenient strategic movement. Druids don't care about lakes, hills, or gem income, so you can do lots of map upgrades. Might be a problem in late game if you start spamming hundreds of Stupid air elementals, I guess.

Enchanter + Dwarf Queen. Just tested it and the dvala does in fact multiply the extra iron from a friendly Enchanter's animated tools.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the holy poopacy posted:

oh that's so obvious, it didn't even occur to me that it was a ground spell

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Enchanter + Dwarf Queen. Just tested it and the dvala does in fact multiply the extra iron from a friendly Enchanter's animated tools.

I'm not sure I understand this one, does the friendly enchanter just drop some of the animated tools off in the dwarven mine while a Dvala is there?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Buddy talked up the enchanter a lot in combos, and basically, an enchanter that sticks mostly to coal mines and just enough gold sources to be able to reliable get new apprentices online, and lets his allies take everything else can massively boost their economies by dropping enchanted tools on their mines and enchanted quills on their trade centers.

In addition to his ability to boost his team's income, think of the enchanter as a bottom feeder. He takes whatever his team doesn't need because he can make use of it somehow.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

my dad posted:

reliable get new apprentices online,
If they're anything like warlock's apprentices then loving lol my last game had I'm pretty sure zero offers.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It's not even that he's a bottom feeder; it's that he can spend the early game focusing on building up his team's economy, while his teammates do the patrolling and fighting. Once all the iron nodes are doubled up, the Enchanter wanders along behind friendly armies, scooping up an ever-growing katamari of wood golems and the occasional clay golem, claiming a mine or settlement here or there in exchange for joining any dicey battles to throw his massive wall of resilient golems up front and cast powerful support spells everywhere.

Enchanter's major weakness is that he has a hell of a time getting his poo poo up and running while also competing with enemy factions for territory. He's lousy at fielding good secondary armies and pretty slow to start; with teammates to cover both weaknesses, he can steadily build into an absolute terror, and accelerate his friends' advancement at the same time. He's not a bottom feeder, he's a force multiplier.

Donkringel posted:

I'm not sure I understand this one, does the friendly enchanter just drop some of the animated tools off in the dwarven mine while a Dvala is there?

That's pretty much it, yeah. A fully-grown Bride of Dvalin or whatever takes those three +1 iron bonuses from the tools and like... quintuples them. She gets a double-digit increase in her iron per turn, forever, in exchange for the Enchanter spending three turns and thirty iron. Or until someone conquers her mine, which is frankly not likely to happen anymore lmao

With that to look forward to, the Dwarf Queen can easily afford to just give the Enchanter some of the mines she conquers so he can build up his own war machine; he's already given her the ability to churn out arbalests without breaking a sweat, so it's not like she particularly needs any mine she isn't planning to colonize.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 13, 2021

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Had a pretty neat stroke of luck in a Priest King game. Very dangerous map, lost initial priest king and a few nice summons early to a combination of wandering horrors and barbarian raiders from the barbarian Capital. Still, my tribal kings were recruiting an endless stream of chaff, and I had claimed 2 city strongholds. Only one Kobold faction left, I was beginning to think about finding their heartland. Then, all of a sudden, the gate to hell got opened!

Fortunately, I was about 1 turn of movement away with one of my secondary armies. About 40 slaves led by a death priest... which went down by about half when I stormed through the portal, fought through an ice demon and some imps, and then destroyed it from the hell side. Now I've got a death priest and a summoned Onaqui wandering around... Cocytus? The frozen part of hell. I lost a bunch more slaves attacking one site, but if I took a while to build up summons, there is a city of sinners nearby I might be able to claim. That would be viable as a base for recruiting a hell army.

There's also a cloud castle portal. If I can beat the giants in the sky, I'll have two avenues of planar exploration for as long as the kobolds survive. Depending on how next session goes, I might try uploading the save. It's rare that I see this much opportunity to explore other planes without being a Warlock.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The Enchanter may undeniably be weak, slow and expensive, but their ability to make use of drat near everything makes them really fun once they get rolling in a way few other factions are. Oh, were you using that Ancient Forest? That Gem Deposit? Not anymore fucker, now it's a giant golem punching you in the face and turning your army into crystals.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I've been raiding hades pretty often in my necromancer games. Even a single wraith summon can slip on down and beat up local farm nerds till I can plane shift down and steal a tower. From there its just ravishing the countryside and swatting groups of dispossessed spirits with ghost archers. Sure, sometimes something scarier will show up, but that's why I left the Tartaran spirit down there.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Well, well. It seems that Oven of Sins tiles give sacrifice income. This priest king raid is much more worthwhile than expected. Haven't gotten a strong foothold yet, but the potential rewards are enormous.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
One time I hired a level 2 mage that came with a path boosting item of their type. The mage had access to level 3 spells. Later I found another path boosting item and transferred it to a mage of the right type, but they didn't learn any new spells. They can memorize more low level spells and get more casts in combat, but nothing new. What determines if a path boosting item unlocks new spells?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sokani posted:

One time I hired a level 2 mage that came with a path boosting item of their type. The mage had access to level 3 spells. Later I found another path boosting item and transferred it to a mage of the right type, but they didn't learn any new spells. They can memorize more low level spells and get more casts in combat, but nothing new. What determines if a path boosting item unlocks new spells?

They only get new spells for free if they're generated with it. Boosted mages can still learn new spells from appropriate scrolls/libraries, but otherwise the boost just lets them cast more spells per turn in combat.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Would be kinda cool if you could give the king of flames a sweet hat and teach him Giga Meteor, but I suppose I am content with the sheer crazy artillery power of casting multiple level 3 spells a turn. EDIT: I suppose that defining the really scary monsters by giving them multiple casting actions might have some interesting interaction with magic hats. Most of the multi-mages dip into multiple schools, which means that they get less relative advantage from a path boost.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 14, 2021

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Hey is there a summary anywhere of typical ways to get into the various planes? Sky is obvious enough and I've managed to get into the Elemental Plane of Water as a warlock with the Maelstrom spell, but most of the time I just end up throwing armies to their deaths in the Void

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Dig down from Agartha to Inferno (and fall into a lake of fire), and (natural) volcanos seem to take you to elemental fire. Don't think that works for warlock-created ones.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Maelstroms may occur naturally in the ocean especially in certain eras. They will grant access to the Plane of Water.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If you can get into the elemental planes you can get just about anywhere.

In the center of each elemental plane is a gateway to the Nexus. Fight your way through (it's only moderately tough) and there is a gateway to the Primal World. Follow the coastline to either direction and you will find gates to the Celestial Plane and Aztlan. Work your way east-ish through Aztlan and you will find a pit to Inferno.

I don't know of any guaranteed universal access to Hades though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You can also get into Agartha and Hades if you can obtain a unit capable of burrowing or descending through earth (or a portable hole or two).

Hades access is pretty much solely limited to necromantic rituals and units that can plane shift though, so unless you can get a Hades travel scroll or some ethereal undead or something, you might be out of luck. Not even the "wandering spirits invade Elysium" event opens a pathway to Hades.

I wonder whether a Demonologist could open an Inferno portal in Hades? Could be a fun co-op project to collaboratively conquer hell and turn it into a Super Nexus that grants access to every plane.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
What does the wight pyramid hades events do? Happened fairly early in my Baron agriculture game and I'm wondering if I need to charge across the enormous world to find and stop it.
I've played a little bit of dominions four and five, first time playing a conquest of Elysium game though. Kind of wishing it had the simultaneous combat of dom5, but still enjoying the simpler gameplay and the beefier PVE.

edit: found out what it does. a year or two later, started spawning displaced spirits all over the place. could be worse I guess

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 15, 2021

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Cheers, I suppose I'll need to start doing more faffing about in boats if I want to get into the other planes (or get lucky and find a natural volcano. Haven't had any luck there, and the Fire Warlock one definitely doesn't work)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I don’t know what eras are best, but I haven’t had luck reaching the elemental planes through portals in (Fallen) Empire eras. That said, I’ve had the most artifacts for sale in that era, and some of them are dimensional scrolls.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there a way to see at a glance all the artifacts you own and where they are? I had a red kobold chief loot a burning sword off of an asp turtle guarding a sea temple, but he was already wielding an ice spear he had found a few turns earlier and now I can't find the sword.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

andrew smash posted:

Is there a way to see at a glance all the artifacts you own and where they are? I had a red kobold chief loot a burning sword off of an asp turtle guarding a sea temple, but he was already wielding an ice spear he had found a few turns earlier and now I can't find the sword.

its most likely on another commander in that army, or if you did not have one, one of the regular troops. If you inspect the army, you should be able to see the icon on one of the unit boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

its most likely on another commander in that army, or if you did not have one, one of the regular troops. If you inspect the army, you should be able to see the icon on one of the unit boxes.

Nice I didn't know the regular units could equip stuff, thanks. I bet that's what happened.