Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Any recommendations for bathroom fans?

Ours started making a funny noise the other day, and has always been pretty loud, so we figure it's time to replace it. I know there's a certain amount of noise you just can't get away from if you want decent air flow, but quiet would be nice.

Bonus: looking for a humidity sensor to control the fan as well, preferably a smart one. I know you can get switches easily enough, but I haven't yet found a smart switch that would give me feedback. Not strictly necessary, but would be nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a Panasonic Whisper Green Select, you can get a humidity module that will ramp it up when it detects humidity.

It's also rated and setup to be a continuously running fan, bit I think Panasonic is basically the top bathroom fan brand now, so even if you just want something that turns on and off, you'll probably find it from them.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah go for the Panasonic

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Squinky v2.0 posted:

The masterbuilt electric smoker that looks kinda like a mini fridge is an absolute powerhouse. Makes a terrific product every single time, still gives you enough control to do most any meats, and it’s brain dead simple. With 4 racks in there, you can cook an insane amount of meat all at once. Don’t let anyone shame you about the purity of using charcoal instead of electric or whatever - electric smokers are banned in competition because they are too consistently good.

Cannot recommend enough, will make everyone think you’re a BBQ wizard. There’s still some art to it, keeping the right amount of smoke & getting the timing right. But not having to worry about the temp suddenly flaring up to 450 or whatever greatly reduces the chance that you ruin dinner.

I’ve had friends buy the fancier masterbuilt models, and the cheapest one seems to be just fine. The extra bells and whistles (and glass panels) on the other models don’t add anything. If you really want to obsess over meat temps, get a good probe thermometer.

I got a propane grill a couple weeks ago because I just moved into this apartment and I didn't want to cause any issues by being new and just firing up a smoker.

A couple questions:
1). How much external smoke does this thing produce?
2). Does it actually "smoke" the meat? (Pellets, I'm assuming?)
3). Is it an all-weather, all-season kinda thing? Or is it not insulated enough to work well in the winter?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It just smokes a little out of the vent, you're generating more smoke by cooking burgers on a grill for sure. Your neighbors will be hungry all of the sudden when they walk outside becuase it'll smell like glorious smoked meat but it's not like it's billowing out smoke and filling the courtyard with smoke.

The heating element fires up and your wood pellets or chips heat up and start to smoke

I live in the northeast and Use mine year round. It's insulated a little to keep the heat in and unless you've got a windy day or super cold day (like maybe zero f or below) the 30" MES will handle it. I think the bigger one gets a higher wattage element that might combat the cold a little more but I've never had an issue.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 9, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You put wood chips in a pan and the electric element heats that enough that it smolders and smokes.

At some point I just don't cook outside in the winter because it's too cold for me. I think the smoker works fine in cooler temps but I'm not an expert. It's going to use more energy, and it's only going to about 225F usually, which isn't too tough. Again I've never really monitored it as an experiment, I don't recall failing to cook anything though.

Also I always though Bluetooth temp sensors were dumb since I'm never that far away but over time it seems like a good gadget. My MB smoker does have a remote control which is great but you still have to visit the smoker to adjust the meats or add wood chips.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd recommend a non BT thermometer honestly. I've had 2 and the range sucks. I a cheapo thermo pro 2 probe one from amazon that's it's own wireless and the range is way better.

there's a whole smokin meat thread if you want to check that out so we dont poo poo up the owning a home thread with delicious smoked meats.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 9, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

Realtalk on a a comedy forum: If you haven't parented until now it's way too late.

I don't know what this means and I'm almost afraid to ask.

tater_salad posted:

I'd recommend a non BT thermometer honestly. I've had 2 and the range sucks. I a cheapo thermo pro 2 probe one from amazon that's it's own wireless and the range is way better.

there's a whole smokin meat thread if you want to check that out so we dont poo poo up the owning a home thread with delicious smoked meats.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

Bookmarked, thank you! I've been doing SV for years now and I think smoking may be the final frontier for me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zarin posted:

I don't know what this means and I'm almost afraid to ask.

It means if you're worried about your teenage child throwing a rager when you're not at home it's already too late to do anything about it because you should have been parenting them long before they got to this age.....and it's way too late now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Parenting 101: Teach your kids the value of not getting caught. If they can throw a rager in your own home that you never learn about then did the rager ever happen? Again, not something you can start when they hit high school.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How hard is it to fit in a larger bathroom fan without attic access? Are the vent tubes usually the same size and such?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fallom posted:

How hard is it to fit in a larger bathroom fan without attic access? Are the vent tubes usually the same size and such?

It's not too hard. Lots of YT videos about retrofitting a larger fan in there. YMMV with your comfort level of working on your home

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fallom posted:

I would strongly recommend removing the fan you have and exploring first. Then you'll know the vent duct size and what limitations may be hidden by the drywall. Overall not a difficult project, I give it two fart clouds out of five.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Without attic access in theory it's possible but I think it can be very difficult, depending on the model. My Panasonic says you can do a retrofit but I can tell you from experience that you're not going to actually be able to do it without attic access. I suppose if you find a fan where you can pull everything out of the attic through the hole in the ceiling (duct and wiring), connect it, and then push the whole thing up into the ceiling from below, it's possible.

As for vent size, see if you can figure out what you've got now (possibly find the model of the current fan and research what it's compatible with) and then look at the new fan you're looking at. I had 4 inch duct and my new fan was compatible with 4 inch duct, but it really depends on what you've got there now and how much more air movement you want out of a new fan if it would need a bigger duct.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

It means if you're worried about your teenage child throwing a rager when you're not at home it's already too late to do anything about it because you should have been parenting them long before they got to this age.....and it's way too late now.

Ah, okay. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

*glances at 4 year old*

:ohdear:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FISHMANPET posted:

Without attic access in theory it's possible but I think it can be very difficult, depending on the model. My Panasonic says you can do a retrofit but I can tell you from experience that you're not going to actually be able to do it without attic access. I suppose if you find a fan where you can pull everything out of the attic through the hole in the ceiling (duct and wiring), connect it, and then push the whole thing up into the ceiling from below, it's possible.

As for vent size, see if you can figure out what you've got now (possibly find the model of the current fan and research what it's compatible with) and then look at the new fan you're looking at. I had 4 inch duct and my new fan was compatible with 4 inch duct, but it really depends on what you've got there now and how much more air movement you want out of a new fan if it would need a bigger duct.

I've replaced two in my life and both didn't require attic access. The last one I remember more vividly, the duct connects to a plastic connector that can vertically slide into a slot on the housing. You just line it up and lift it into place. These things die, they're designed to be replaced without major demo. The last one was in a ceiling cavity on the first of two floors so no attic at all.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zarin posted:

Ah, okay. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

*glances at 4 year old*

:ohdear:

My oldest is 11 and I figure I have about 2 more years to be any sort of influence on her and then I just have to hope I did a good job.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

H110Hawk posted:

Parenting 101: Teach your kids the value of not getting caught. If they can throw a rager in your own home that you never learn about then did the rager ever happen? Again, not something you can start when they hit high school.

An alternative strategy would be to throw your own rager every once in a while so that they automatically associate it with being un-cool.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tater_salad posted:

My building fire code said no charcola at all and no propane on balcony.. I could however run an electric grill or smoker.. so I did

Protip.. If it's wood baconly I usually stuck some cardboard or a paper bag under it when in use to catch any dripings so my downstairs neighbor didn't have greasy patio furniture.

:stare:

I'd like to suggest that you trap grease either with a steel cookie sheet, or aluminum foil, or collect drippings in a steel can etc

Granted, there are things more flammable than grease soaked cardboard, like aerosolized either, but trapping grease in a flammable medium is probably not best practice

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Be classy. Get a purpose built mat for under your grille.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/g36998678/best-grill-mats/

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I want to murder the people who installed my gutters. The downspouts are enormous (5"x6") and seemingly too big for splash blocks and the like. My mulch beds are turning into deep valleys in my front yard, and the positioning of the gutters and bushes combined with the size is making it a nightmare to figure out a solution.

They also neglected to put up a splash guard on the corner of my garage, so the locking sand between my pavers has been washed out and there's a noticeable ridge (my driveway has a bit of an elevation change).

/vent

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Omne posted:

I want to murder the people who installed my gutters. The downspouts are enormous (5"x6") and seemingly too big for splash blocks and the like. My mulch beds are turning into deep valleys in my front yard, and the positioning of the gutters and bushes combined with the size is making it a nightmare to figure out a solution.

They also neglected to put up a splash guard on the corner of my garage, so the locking sand between my pavers has been washed out and there's a noticeable ridge (my driveway has a bit of an elevation change).

/vent

A few pictures and maybe someone here could help with a solution. I feel like 5x6 is a big gutter for residential. Is your house all roof or does everything drain to one point or something?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hadlock posted:

:stare:

I'd like to suggest that you trap grease either with a steel cookie sheet, or aluminum foil, or collect drippings in a steel can etc

Granted, there are things more flammable than grease soaked cardboard, like aerosolized either, but trapping grease in a flammable medium is probably not best practice

Grease pans and catch was included in the smoker. My one corner would condensate in the cold and either drip or make an ice spot. It was just to keep that from happening. Or like get a mat.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
There's a spot in the kitchen the previous owner never relaid the tile after renovating.

(another photo)
It's just under 4 tiles, which means I'll have to cut two to size - at least they're straight cuts, no edges. I confirmed there's a few extra tiles left in the basement, so I can match the style. What tools do I need to do this small tiling? Any good reference guides would be appreciated.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Coco13 posted:

There's a spot in the kitchen the previous owner never relaid the tile after renovating.

(another photo)
It's just under 4 tiles, which means I'll have to cut two to size - at least they're straight cuts, no edges. I confirmed there's a few extra tiles left in the basement, so I can match the style. What tools do I need to do this small tiling? Any good reference guides would be appreciated.

The reason they didn't is most likely because it appears they didn't tile under the bottom cabinets, which is absolutely a thing that should have been done. With those thick tiles you will not be able to remove that trash compactor and/or dishwasher you may have without pulling up the floor or the countertop.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
For straight cuts on porcelain a score and snap cutter can't be beat.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Motronic posted:

The reason they didn't is most likely because it appears they didn't tile under the bottom cabinets, which is absolutely a thing that should have been done. With those thick tiles you will not be able to remove that trash compactor and/or dishwasher you may have without pulling up the floor or the countertop.

Tiling that empty space between the sink and the wall shouldn’t add too much effort to the project. Good news is that the dishwasher next to the wall should come out easily, it’d just be disconnecting it. I’d need to measure that space between the sink and the wall to ensure I have enough tiles to fill it, but it’s still manageable. That little bit of green wood between the dishwasher and the sink is currently just to block the gap - it’s not connected at all.

Unless you mean they should have tiled underneath the sink cabinets too. Man I hope not, because they did not.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Coco13 posted:

Tiling that empty space between the sink and the wall shouldn’t add too much effort to the project. Good news is that the dishwasher next to the wall should come out easily, it’d just be disconnecting it. I’d need to measure that space between the sink and the wall to ensure I have enough tiles to fill it, but it’s still manageable. That little bit of green wood between the dishwasher and the sink is currently just to block the gap - it’s not connected at all.

Unless you mean they should have tiled underneath the sink cabinets too. Man I hope not, because they did not.

That's correct, the primo install is to tile under the cabinets. There likely isn't enough vertical space at the dishwasher to fit if you put tile under it alone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Coco13 posted:

This is exactly what I mean.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FCKGW posted:

I like the Kasa switches, they run over wifi, are cheap and pretty simple to use
https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-HS220-Dimmer-Switch-1-Pack/dp/B079775ZZQ/

The reviews say you are able to program a dimmer schedule. Needs a neutral wire to run.

I just finished installing this and it's great! Thank you. I had it on the wifi in a couple of minutes. My complaints, it's big, like they all are, so you've got to arrange the wire to fit it. Second complaint, the connections are on the opposite side of any other switch so I did it backwards (upside down, load to line etc ) on my first try but I caught it before I put power on.

The switch has a nice feel to it, and the software was able to program the way I want. On at sunset, dim later at night, off at sunrise. You can calibrate dimming levels in the app too which is nice.

Now for unrelated complaints. Both switches in this box were backstabbed. One had a jumper lead to it from the wire in as an extension but there was plenty of wire. I eliminated it. It was also wired with the line and load swapped. It doesn't matter functionally but I don't like it. And finally Eaton doesn't make a toggle and decorators two gang screwless plate, so now I have one Leviton and it's not the same, it has a seam on the outside edge. Nobody will notice or at least won't mention it.

My problems are small.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
:toot:

Final passed on the porch. Contractor cashed my check. Everyone's happy*!

Got furniture on the way, should be here by the end of the month. This weekend I'm going to move the grill back out.

Definitely going to have to do something about that lattice. It's not awful, but didn't turn out how I expected... I mean, it's exactly what we asked for, so we only have ourselves to blame. Probably a next year project, though... some climbing vines or painting it dark would probably work, but it's not so bad that we can't live with it. This year we'll probably just dig out a mow strip and fill it with mulch, maybe put some pavers down where foot traffic will be. Eventually also going to put up a pole to hang some string lights over the deck.

*lmao the HOA sent some nastygrams this morning, which reminded me that the project actually is done.

Apparently the management company has been taking pictures of the construction company sign out front for months and they're just now griping about it.... got a note with half a dozen pictures of the sign in it with various dates. Also a month ago they took a picture of a debris trailer in our driveway and we're just now being told it's a "violation." In both cases these are explicitly permitted in the architectural rules (on account of the active project), so it's fun to write a note to them telling them to gently caress off in the most corporate-email verbiage possible.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Looks good!

HOAs are junk. Our management company sent out notices for tall grass after 2 weeks of constant rain and ideal growing conditions, but has ignored repeated complaints about the falling down fence sitting on an HOA lot where lots of kids like to play.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Any goons with the U-shaped AC run into an issue where they can't get the inner window into place? Our windows have this metal thing at the top that prevents the inner window from moving all the way up, and the lip at the bottom of said inner window stops it from sliding into the U shape.

http://imgur.com/a/hAkPKfb has pics

Edit: yeah, this is gonna have to get returned. The outer window has a lip/handle thing that stops the inner window from closing, even if I tilt the window in and try to rotate it back into place. We'll try a quieter unit, and hopefully a slightly more powerful one. It's weird that a 5000BTU unit doesn't really cool a 10'x11' room, but my wife never fully closes the door to allow the cats to come and go. That probably doesn't help.

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 10, 2021

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

TacoHavoc posted:

A few pictures and maybe someone here could help with a solution. I feel like 5x6 is a big gutter for residential. Is your house all roof or does everything drain to one point or something?

Good call.

First up, the gutter near the garage. It's digging quite the hole to China
https://imgur.com/a/fRauI9p

Next, we have the gutter that empties into the bushes. Looks like this bush doesn't have much left to grab onto before it washes away
https://imgur.com/a/7HpgNrO

Here we have the garage. It's hard to see in the photo, but basically the water rushes in that corner, jumps over the gutter, and has created a bit of a ridge down the paver driveway. All of the locking sand is gone.
https://imgur.com/a/1bpqklo

And finally, we have the drain near the pool. The landscapers put in the box, which follows a five foot long pipe the yard. It doesn't seem to work too well, as the end of the pipe will flood along with the box.
https://imgur.com/a/qE2z2Fp

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gutter downspout s need to be extended at least several feet from your foundation to be effective. That hasn't been done and it may require grading changes but that's difficult to tell from pictures.

Basically your gutter install was never completed.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

DaveSauce posted:

:toot:

Final passed on the porch. Contractor cashed my check. Everyone's happy*!

Got furniture on the way, should be here by the end of the month. This weekend I'm going to move the grill back out.

Nice! Looks like it'll be a fun place to hang out. The proper stain on the ceiling definitely looks way better than the tanwash would have.

quote:

Definitely going to have to do something about that lattice. It's not awful, but didn't turn out how I expected... I mean, it's exactly what we asked for, so we only have ourselves to blame. Probably a next year project, though... some climbing vines or painting it dark would probably work, but it's not so bad that we can't live with it. This year we'll probably just dig out a mow strip and fill it with mulch, maybe put some pavers down where foot traffic will be. Eventually also going to put up a pole to hang some string lights over the deck.

If the lattice is vinyl it probably won't take paint very well (if at all). I think some climbing vines and shrubs around the base will do quite a lot of good to make it not seem so... naked. I'd consider Virginia Creeper (most preferable due to it being native) or Boston Ivy for the climbing vines and definitely not English Ivy (which is super destructive and invasive and poo poo). If you want a big tall shrubbery surround in a hurry, consider forsythia - it looks super cool in early spring and grows like an absolute mofo (I have to trim off 3-6' shoots every month or two in the summer).

To note, I've let Boston Ivy (which is not technically an ivy - it is related to Virginia Creeper) grow on the south-facing side of my house following the loss of a couple large shade trees in neighboring yards because it operates like thousands of tiny parasols keeping the sun off. It's not hard on the brick, and my grandparents had it growing all over their wood shingled house for decades and when they tore it off to repaint, there wasn't much of anything in terms of damage. English Ivy can gently caress right off though.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

Gutter downspout s need to be extended at least several feet from your foundation to be effective. That hasn't been done and it may require grading changes but that's difficult to tell from pictures.

Basically your gutter install was never completed.

Don't even get me started on these people...

I can't say I've seen any houses in this area that have gutter downspouts that extend several feet from the house. My plan is to get some 6" flexible piping and route the water away as best I can. The pool deck drain, I have no idea how to fix that part

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
And post pics inline.

There's no scale but they don't look as big as you described, are you sure these aren't 3x4 downspouts? Those are the standard bigger size.

For your garage perhaps there's something that you can use to slow down the water flow which will help it land in the gutter.

A web search brought up Gutter Valley brand Splash shields that you can install to create a vertical extension to the gutter.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

StormDrain posted:

And post pics inline.

There's no scale but they don't look as big as you described, are you sure these aren't 3x4 downspouts? Those are the standard bigger size.

For your garage perhaps there's something that you can use to slow down the water flow which will help it land in the gutter.

A web search brought up Gutter Valley brand Splash shields that you can install to create a vertical extension to the gutter.

Sorry, imgur isn't letting me add .jpg to the link in order to do that for some reason.

They are 5x4, not 6x5 as I originally thought, just went out and measured them again.

And yeah, I plan to do a splash guard in that corner and see if that helps. I gotta stop that, then have the pavers re-set and locked, then have them sealed.

Homeownership: it never ends

Edit: I know they make flexible downspout extensions, but all I can find are 2x3 or 3x4, so I think going with a 6" flexible pipe is my best option to route the water around the bushes and away from the house

Omne fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You can just string multiple flexible extensions together if you need to go further