Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Early Omnifactory tip: Get a second range extender ASAP for the ore detector. They both stack with the extra range for the module that lets you search for specific blocks.

Truth. Also, if you don't want to fight Endermen or wait until you can make your own pearls for the range extender, use the scanner to search the Lost Cities for chests: you'll find a pearl or two in one, eventually.

e;fb yadda yadda what a new page

DawnOfMinstrel fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bhodi posted:

Definitely get a second range extender and as soon as you have circuit boards build the module that allows you to search for a specific block. Once you build the grapple, go hunting for:

Chest
Anvil
Brew Station
Enchantment Table
Bookcase

Grapple up and just mine through the wall and grab items out of chests. You primarily are looking for an ender sword, boots, pearls and Drill Cores (you need 2 by midgame). You can macerate the anvil for 32 iron dust which is amazing early game, bookcases are free books, and you need to find at least one brew station for the blaze rod.

Each time you buy needed ore with omnicoins, put one of them down in the world and build an ore wall which will allow you to find more easily in the ground.

Don't forget you have access to Lost Cities as well, which has some frankly incredible chest density to go with the even more incredible spawner density.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Uh yeah, this is in lost cities. You started with the lost cities, right? You should start in lost cities and maybe build your base in void world.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I was gonna build in one of the skyscrapers but I figure there might be lag from all the mobs spawning around plus how dense the cities are. Though I guess you can drop to peaceful. There are some really nice buildings that are great for building a factory in.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Your factory is definitely going to sprawl; you can start in a hollowed out building for aesthetics but you're definitely going to be running out of room by mid game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I made a custom version of the dome-cities-in-water preset for LC and it works really well aesthetically on peaceful. Although I did remove loot chests because it felt too cheaty and also had to disable the meteor spawns because it would cause massive lag flooding.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Rynoto posted:

I made a custom version of the dome-cities-in-water preset for LC and it works really well aesthetically on peaceful. Although I did remove loot chests because it felt too cheaty and also had to disable the meteor spawns because it would cause massive lag flooding.

Can you share that? it sounds amazing and I'm thinking of restarting with the dev branch instead of picking up where I left off a year and a half ago.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ego Trip posted:

Can you share that? it sounds amazing and I'm thinking of restarting with the dev branch instead of picking up where I left off a year and a half ago.

https://pastebin.com/qpQYzcsD There you go. Just toss it in \config\lostcities
Make sure to also go into \config\AppliedEnergistics2\AppliedEnergistics2.cfg and flip B:MeteoriteWorldGen=false from true to false.

If you want to raise/lower the water then I:waterLevelOffset=8 will do it but too high and it'll lag hard.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not up on my recent modpacks to give a recommendation for the sort you're looking for, but I will say that Astral Sorcery is probably still worth the investment even with Ars Nouveau. AN may have you covered for combat and the like, but AS has passive perks and utility features that help shore up common resources and bolster your movement options. I think they'd probably work well together.

I do agree that RS is a nearly vital mod for me, because sorting through a dozen chests trying to deal with limited inventory is something I've done enough of in this game to never want to handle again.

Thanks for the response on this - and yeah, that's fair. Astral Sorcery's perk systems and the sheer experience of building the stuff in it is really neat and I absolutely love the feeling of doing rituals in it. It feels very aesthetically driven and I love that.

And yes, RS is so great. I see that there's a drawer storage mod a lot of people use too that might help out next time I'm in the early game, since you need to get to the nether to start RS, but I can't imagine doing mid game stuff without it.

I guess my question is really more - are there goon-approved modpacks focused around tech and sorcery that work together well, and hopefully include one of the two big computer mods? That's the kind of stuff I think I'm more interested in for the next modpack.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does the Deep Mob Learning mod in Ominfactory have some tier about the simulators and the loot fabricators? I've seem pictures of what might have been a multiblock or something and I wanted to make sure it wasn't actually a thing. I'm going to building out that setup this weekend because I just got polymer production roughly going.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Nope. The only tiering you'll get is for the cards you slot in.

E: Although apparently it's being added maybe eventually?

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 11, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I do remember seeing a modular machine that did the work of many DMLs, in the same way GT machines get faster with each tier. Same energy cost, but you could stick in different tiers of circuits to configure it to a higher tier, as if you were upgrading a GT machine. Main purpose was to just save space and system resources, since running one machine at 128 speed hurts your Minecraft performance a lot less than running 128 machines at 1x speed.

99% sure it was a user addition and I don't have the link (if it was ever available) but I do know modular machines are configured via text file so it should be easy to slot in.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does the Deep Mob Learning mod in Ominfactory have some tier about the simulators and the loot fabricators? I've seem pictures of what might have been a multiblock or something and I wanted to make sure it wasn't actually a thing. I'm going to building out that setup this weekend because I just got polymer production roughly going.
Any multiblock options are deep in the later trees. You shouldn't need to worry for quite a while. Once you get the polymerized clay setup you can easily have 1 per each type without any lag issues and I recommend a little drawer complex.

Some useful stats from the discord:
pre:
1 enderman model for 6.2 other models (self-aware)
19.66 simulation chambers per loot fabricator
1 shulker model for
- (Don’t use) hardened
- 2.29 reinforced
- 1.32 signalum
- (Don’t use) resonant
Numismatic dynamos with full fuel catalyser augments
1 MV chemical reactor: 301/100x4 = 12.04 simulation chambers
HV: 301/36x4 = 33.44
EV: 301/13x4 = 92.61
IV: 301/5x4 = 240.8
Alloy smelter must be the same tier as chemical reactor for a 1:1 ratio
1 blizz model and 1 witch model for 15.94 active cryotheum coolers

Other big tips at ~early mv level:
  • auto-snad with a redstone conduit and sensor filter for infinite sugarcane
  • DML will get you all the materials you need for MV/HV tier except for salt for chlorine and nickel and ruby ore (you can get ruby from redstone but it's slowww). Your first two DMLs should be enderman for pearls for the loop and then shulker for numis.
  • You can passive DML with DML -> loot fab -> drawers and later you can slap a bus on your controller.
  • you can craft iron ingots with flesh so do that before making it directly with the zombie loot fab
  • don't macerate for byproducts until HV except for very expensive blocks. Save your ruby and bauxite ore, you're going to want to get all the bits you can out of it and chrome from ruby ore is your gate for HV
  • you'll be needing one steam dynamo for the pyroclase oven, so don't break them all when you move to numis
  • you can re-use 2 magmatic and 2 steam dynamos for the jetpack once you move to numis so crafting them isn't a waste
  • ebfs can share walls and a 2x2 cube of them is a decent layout.
  • Get a cobble->gravel->sand->dust->clayblock->clay->electrolyzer up with drawers for each in addition to the polymerized clay loop, you'll need the mats and both the silicon and the aluminum for MV, MV machines will be your bread and butter for a long time.
  • Don't go for ME2 too early, since you need a lot of circuits - get at least the ability to make SMD components and the first tier 3 circuits before you make the push because you need them for patterns and the ME drive block+processors are expensive.
  • Oxygen can easily be gotten with a sodium <-> sodium hydroxide loop
  • Start centrifuging that excess hydrogen you get from your pvc factory into deuterium and dump the rest, you'll need a little later when you make silicone rubber it's largely useless.
  • DO NOT make a distillation tower until late HV; you absolutely do not need it for PVC and it's ruinously expensive in materials as soon as you unlock the quest; 3 breweries + AdvDistillery on sugarcane will get you your ethanol. You'll want to build it to make rocket fuel and you'll need it for epoxy though!
  • You can go to endsteel conduits almost as soon as you make vibrant, so you can probably skip vibrant conduits entirely to save time ripping out your old infra.
  • Autocraft and pattern ~everything~

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 13, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

You don't need a drawer controller to dump poo poo from your stuff into drawers right? Just an item conduit from let's say your cobblestone loop into drawers is enough? It'll just auto sort them into the right drawers via the conduit?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

queeb posted:

You don't need a drawer controller to dump poo poo from your stuff into drawers right? Just an item conduit from let's say your cobblestone loop into drawers is enough? It'll just auto sort them into the right drawers via the conduit?

Without a controller, you have to connect a conduit to each drawer, but you don't have to use item filters if the drawer is already configured with what it should store. The controller lets you just run one conduit to the controller and it sorts them into all the connected drawers. Either way, be sure to lock your empty drawers or it'll just pull an item into it that you may not have wanted. Also if you're potentially hooking up an infinite item source to it, you should add a void upgrade to each drawer so that you don't back up your conduits and (depending on the other mods you're working with) potentially spill items into the world, causing massive amounts of lag.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I tried the limited item filter as an input filter. It didn't work directly on an alloy smelter; I guess it didn't recognize the smelter's internal inventory. I tried a chest and it did output the exact amount there. However, if I pull with a single conduit into the machine, I tend to get out of sync. What I guess is happening is that the extracting conduit pulls the first item, the filtered inserting conduit replaces it, and sometimes there's a race condition where it shows up in time for the extracting conduit to them pull it again. Would having a conduit filtered to each of the two types fix this?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I could have sworn I asked this before but I can't seem to find it again, but I'm feeling that modded Minecraft itch again and one of the things I really like is the mekanism digiminer. Thing is I'm getting kind of bored of mekanism and I don't really use it for anything other than the digiminer the last few times I've played, is there another mod out there with a similar auto mining thing that doesn't just dig a bigass hole? It doesn't need to be as configurable but I do prefer something that won't turn or require the surrounding area to look terrible

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I tried the limited item filter as an input filter. It didn't work directly on an alloy smelter; I guess it didn't recognize the smelter's internal inventory. I tried a chest and it did output the exact amount there. However, if I pull with a single conduit into the machine, I tend to get out of sync. What I guess is happening is that the extracting conduit pulls the first item, the filtered inserting conduit replaces it, and sometimes there's a race condition where it shows up in time for the extracting conduit to them pull it again. Would having a conduit filtered to each of the two types fix this?

That's why I used impulse hoppers, cause you could set them to distribute all items before it loaded in a new set

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bhodi posted:

Any multiblock options are deep in the later trees. You shouldn't need to worry for quite a while. Once you get the polymerized clay setup you can easily have 1 per each type without any lag issues and I recommend a little drawer complex.
I think they were specifically asking about DML multiblocks.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Vib Rib posted:

I do remember seeing a modular machine that did the work of many DMLs, in the same way GT machines get faster with each tier. Same energy cost, but you could stick in different tiers of circuits to configure it to a higher tier, as if you were upgrading a GT machine. Main purpose was to just save space and system resources, since running one machine at 128 speed hurts your Minecraft performance a lot less than running 128 machines at 1x speed.

99% sure it was a user addition and I don't have the link (if it was ever available) but I do know modular machines are configured via text file so it should be easy to slot in.

They're planning on adding it to 1.3 https://github.com/OmnifactoryDevs/Omnifactory/pull/720

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I was specifically looking for advanced DML machines that I should keep in my mind.

I have basic perpetual generation of ender pearls and diamonds for polymers and energy and was going to start optimizing, but I have to ensure the alloy smelter doesn't fill both slots with only one of the ingredients.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ugh, of course it's a post-Creative Tank recipe. Really gotta gate the incredible balance-breaking power that is... exactly the same thing you've already been doing, but slightly more centralized, and with less of a performance hit.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I was specifically looking for advanced DML machines that I should keep in my mind.

I have basic perpetual generation of ender pearls and diamonds for polymers and energy and was going to start optimizing, but I have to ensure the alloy smelter doesn't fill both slots with only one of the ingredients.
A limited item filter is what worked for me for exactly that purpose, set up like this on the input to the alloy smelter:

(The storage drawers aren't essential, I just liked having spots where I could grab some of the surplus.)

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Vib Rib posted:

Ugh, of course it's a post-Creative Tank recipe. Really gotta gate the incredible balance-breaking power that is... exactly the same thing you've already been doing, but slightly more centralized, and with less of a performance hit.

And you can shut down some of the DML stuff post creative too. Don't need metals anymore, and I didn't really need MORE diamonds and ended pearls than I was already churnin out...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Halibut Barn posted:

A limited item filter is what worked for me for exactly that purpose, set up like this on the input to the alloy smelter:

(The storage drawers aren't essential, I just liked having spots where I could grab some of the surplus.)

The first time I tried to use the limited item filter, I still wound up with 1 more clay than pulsating dust. When the dust depleted, the clay wound up in the second slot. The counterpoint is that its been fine since, but it's made me really paranoid.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Okay, so I've been trying to download modpacks to try them out a bit for myself, but I can't seem to download *any* of them without them stalling out or whatever. This has included on GDLauncher and MultiMMD, and if I try to download directly from the CurseForge site I get a network error. Is it some sort of setting error I'm dealing with here? I don't have this problem downloading individual mods or else I wouldn't have been able to set up the server. And it BETTER not be internet because I very recently updated to 2021 level internet finally and by all accounts the speed tests are fine.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dragomorph posted:

Okay, so I've been trying to download modpacks to try them out a bit for myself, but I can't seem to download *any* of them without them stalling out or whatever. This has included on GDLauncher and MultiMMD, and if I try to download directly from the CurseForge site I get a network error. Is it some sort of setting error I'm dealing with here? I don't have this problem downloading individual mods or else I wouldn't have been able to set up the server. And it BETTER not be internet because I very recently updated to 2021 level internet finally and by all accounts the speed tests are fine.

Can you pull a pack from a non curse source on MultiMC? Curse does routinely have issues, so this isn't really anything new.

Though trying to install a random pack via MultiMC and I had no issues.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

Maguoob posted:

Can you pull a pack from a non curse source on MultiMC? Curse does routinely have issues, so this isn't really anything new.

Though trying to install a random pack via MultiMC and I had no issues.

I tried getting FTB Academy from their own stuff. GDLauncher refused to even start, and I got a "Minecraft failed to launch" error on the instance I downloaded through MultiMMC with the reason given being "unknown" and a refusal to provide a link.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Dragomorph posted:

I tried getting FTB Academy from their own stuff. GDLauncher refused to even start, and I got a "Minecraft failed to launch" error on the instance I downloaded through MultiMMC with the reason given being "unknown" and a refusal to provide a link.

Maybe run memtest86 and see if your ram is failing. I was having issues with packs randomly crashing and it turned out to be bad memory. All good after replacing it.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Getting an LuV Assembler online today in Omnifactory felt like a loving achievement. The amount of HSS-G required to create LuV components is astonishing. I feel like my weak passive supply game isn’t going to cut it. Time to put on my big boy pants and start serious parallelization on a few things!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm finding a bit of frustration that although the dev-branch worktables (or whatever they're called) can *pull* tools from a common container to do crafts, they don't *put them back* so you do a craft in one table, switch tables but need the same tool, and you still have to go grab it out of the first table.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Bhodi posted:

Some useful stats from the discord:
It wasn't helping me directly with what I was stuck with but all the information has been useful for confirming how much of what I need to do everything in a balanced way, so I wanted to thank you for digging that up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Does Omnifactory have the assline or circuit assline, or are LuV comps just made the regular way?

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

VegasGoat posted:

Maybe run memtest86 and see if your ram is failing. I was having issues with packs randomly crashing and it turned out to be bad memory. All good after replacing it.

Maybe, except the problem isn't crashing, the problem is refusing to download at all. Only FTB Academy on MultiMC got close and it was less a crash than it was a complete failure on the part of Minecraft to start for unstated reasons.

(And again, if it was a purely memory issue, I wouldn't be able to function on the server at all...)

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Does Omnifactory have the assline or circuit assline, or are LuV comps just made the regular way?

Asslines, plural, because half take one control circuit and the other half take a different one. I also was surprised by the sudden requirement of styrene butadiene rubber out of nowhere. LuV prep is no joke.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Lordshmee posted:

Asslines, plural, because half take one control circuit and the other half take a different one. I also was surprised by the sudden requirement of styrene butadiene rubber out of nowhere. LuV prep is no joke.

Ah, you're talking about needing multiple assembling machines, then? I'm talking about this guy:

This is an old picture in my old base, please excuse the dirt hovel look

For recipes such as the following:

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The first time I tried to use the limited item filter, I still wound up with 1 more clay than pulsating dust. When the dust depleted, the clay wound up in the second slot. The counterpoint is that its been fine since, but it's made me really paranoid.

I know how fiddly they can be. It recently occurred to me that you can also use Robot Arms with the Keep Exactly setting with filters and adjoining inventories. This is probably cheaper depending on where you are in the progression, but more complicated to implement.

e: ^^^ yeah you got it - those big fuckers that take jaw dropping amounts of poo poo to make and are annoying as hell to wire up!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone know of any good 1.16 mods that add some simple cables for moving stuff around? Xnet is good and all but I'm not a huge fan of needing to set up a controller/power/etc just to move stuff from point a to b

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Xun posted:

Anyone know of any good 1.16 mods that add some simple cables for moving stuff around? Xnet is good and all but I'm not a huge fan of needing to set up a controller/power/etc just to move stuff from point a to b

Integrated Dynamics (this is a joke).

Pipez (link) is fairly simple stand alone pipe mod. Mekanism and Cyclic (I think) have transport pipes, but obviously not the focus of either mod. Pretty pipes is another option, but personally I'm not a fan of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
is there a point to doing Forestry in GTNH?