Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been watching some youtube videos and I now hope I can mod in Beaver culture into the game and have a related productivity bonus for furniture and lumber production.

Actually more seriously I hope the game is at least moddable enough that there's some means of representing hydroelectric dams into the game; I suppose you could hack a "dam" building that takes in labour and parts/cement and produces "coal" representing "energy" but that brings up I think would be interesting is maybe having an "Energy" good, that uses a different network than railroads to be distributed and can be produced via buildings.

Basically it could be neat if railroads could be modded to have an overlapping province building representing the power/electrical transmission network as electrifying your country was also a pretty critical aspect of industrialization albeit one that is mainly relevant in Victoria's Late Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've been watching some youtube videos and I now hope I can mod in Beaver culture into the game and have a related productivity bonus for furniture and lumber production.

Actually more seriously I hope the game is at least moddable enough that there's some means of representing hydroelectric dams into the game; I suppose you could hack a "dam" building that takes in labour and parts/cement and produces "coal" representing "energy" but that brings up I think would be interesting is maybe having an "Energy" good, that uses a different network than railroads to be distributed and can be produced via buildings.

Basically it could be neat if railroads could be modded to have an overlapping province building representing the power/electrical transmission network as electrifying your country was also a pretty critical aspect of industrialization albeit one that is mainly relevant in Victoria's Late Game.

I do think they've mentioned "electricity" being a good that your pops start to want as it becomes available.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Electric loco's began to be popular as far back as the 1800's so they're certainly not outside the scope of the game. Would love to see electrification of railways and factories be a thing as that was absolutely a big thing during the time period of the game. Going from big hard to maintain coal-devouring steam engines to electric motors for industries was a huge thing. Electric pumps for mines. Electric textile mills. Heck, just electric lighting for factories and cities was a revolution.

A coal rich nation might delay upgrading their industries and infrastructure to electric but a coal starved nation that has good hydro capacity would be all over that poo poo. Big national grids were much less of a thing back in the day though, in fact it was more likely to see a factory swap out their big steam engine and replace it with a coal fired power plant of their own to then run electric machinery. Electric motors are just insanely less upkeep and more reliable than steam machinery.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Any chance there’ll be an option to import saves from EU4, and then carry saves from this game into HoI4?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

drkeiscool posted:

Any chance there’ll be an option to import saves from EU4, and then carry saves from this game into HoI4?

I think paradox has given up on converters. They'd rarely work to anyone's expectations and would be a nightmare to constantly maintain for every latest patch.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

drkeiscool posted:

Idhrendur is the main point man on working on the converters. :) I've also helped with them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

drkeiscool posted:

Officially, unlikely.

Unofficially? Yes, absolutely.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Baronjutter posted:

Electric loco's began to be popular as far back as the 1800's so they're certainly not outside the scope of the game. Would love to see electrification of railways and factories be a thing as that was absolutely a big thing during the time period of the game. Going from big hard to maintain coal-devouring steam engines to electric motors for industries was a huge thing. Electric pumps for mines. Electric textile mills. Heck, just electric lighting for factories and cities was a revolution.

A coal rich nation might delay upgrading their industries and infrastructure to electric but a coal starved nation that has good hydro capacity would be all over that poo poo. Big national grids were much less of a thing back in the day though, in fact it was more likely to see a factory swap out their big steam engine and replace it with a coal fired power plant of their own to then run electric machinery. Electric motors are just insanely less upkeep and more reliable than steam machinery.

I'm going to ameliorate my climate change induced anxiety by playing a fantasy of going 100% renewables as the USA by 1900.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

DrSunshine posted:

I'm going to ameliorate my climate change induced anxiety by playing a fantasy of going 100% renewables as the USA by 1900.

ironically by doing so you will burn more fossil fuels in real life

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
i shall commit seppuku to reduce my carbon footprint so that future generations can play victoria 3 after it is fully patched

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Hellioning posted:

Officially, unlikely.

Unofficially? Yes, absolutely.

Indeed, the converters team has been prepping behind the scenes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Also to be honest Idhrendur's converter is going to be better than anything Paradox can spare the resources to produce; because you have a dedicated team of fans who've been working on it for years and have a lot of tribal knowledge and a good workflow, versus a company that even when well intentioned can't spare the resources or man hours because its a feature that like 5% of the playerbase will use.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

idhrendur posted:

Indeed, the converters team has been prepping behind the scenes.

whats the state of the vicky2hoi4 converter anyways? been a while since i looked

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Friend Commuter posted:

ironically by doing so you will burn more fossil fuels in real life

...Yeah. :smith:

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

whats the state of the vicky2hoi4 converter anyways? been a while since i looked

It's getting to be in pretty good shape. Focus trees are still kinda eh, but one of the team members has been doing some work. He actually got to where the Vic2 ai directives get turned into focuses to try and get some neighboring land. I've been more focused on 'international relations' type things. Treaties, cbs, auto-generating dominions, that sort of thing. I'm actually stoked that I finally got it to where unowned land in Vic2 gets turned into 'unrecognized' nations, instead of being empty land in HoI4 that's liable to crash the game.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1438140560590602240?s=20

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im interested to see how they portray the differences between New World Slavery and Ottoman Slavery.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
If you compare to this older tweet...

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
And slavery in non-European countries in general. Or serfdom in Austria/Russia for that matter. I understand the game will try to portray all kinds of slavery as something that is not beneficial to the state but is very important for the good mood of elites.

Edit: Hell yes, dynamic USA flag generator. When you conquer land from USA you don't just make their map name smaller, but their flag becomes weaker too!

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 15, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah representing serfdom I think would be really interesting especially since it was such an important part of say Russia's political history.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
VIP for Ricky had Krepostnye as a whole separate (and unaccepted) culture for Russia. Mod wasn't perfect but that bit made a lot of sense.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Makes sense, Arkansas and Michigan were admitted as states more or less immediately after the start date, bringing the total from 24 to 26. Looking forward to seeing the flag you get if you form the UCAS from Shadowrun several centuries early.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It'll be interesting if there's also a means to remove stars from the flag as a result of losing land sparking unrest like in that one Turtledove novel where it made the Republican President lose the next elections and collapsed the party forever.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

drat I was kinda hoping slavery wouldn't be a "yes" or "no" thing and instead be at the extreme end of a scale of pop rights / enfranchisement that would include disparate types of slavery / serfdom etc.

oh well let's see what the dev diary says

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That wouldn’t really make sense for how slavery worked in the period

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

If you want your Wiz fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLLUqruFzvg

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mikael has a beard which makes me think he really understands economics. Like that's a beard that can understand the labour theory of value, explain its flaws, and refine the theory.

Ah we're getting a bit of new info not covered in diaries, like about inter-market trade.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 15, 2021

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

fuf posted:

drat I was kinda hoping slavery wouldn't be a "yes" or "no" thing and instead be at the extreme end of a scale of pop rights / enfranchisement that would include disparate types of slavery / serfdom etc.

oh well let's see what the dev diary says

There's a bunch of different types of slavery in Stellaris, no reason to think Victoria 3 would take a step back from that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Like the Victorians, I will be gene-modding the Irish with the Delicious trait

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

That wouldn’t really make sense for how slavery worked in the period

New World chattel slavery yeah. There is an argument to be made that other sorts of slavery should be modelled but, eh, down that road lies bad poo poo and Gamers

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

TwoQuestions posted:

There's a bunch of different types of slavery in Stellaris, no reason to think Victoria 3 would take a step back from that.

yeah but when this came up before one of the things that was clear was that it's hard to decide what "counts" as slavery (serfdom etc.) and that making that decision is gonna be controversial

it seemed like a neat way of sidestepping that issue would be to place all pops in a single space with various dimensions for various rights, without having to make the impossible decision of picking a point on a given axis where run-of-the-mill oppression ticks over into enslavement

I don't think this would downplay slavery so much as emphasise that the conditions that characterise slavery don't suddenly disappear with a single law change

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

LonsomeSon posted:

Like the Victorians, I will be gene-modding the Irish with the Delicious trait

:golfclap:

Hope UK/GB gets a Modest Proposal event

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/Dsingis/status/1438141080239755272

Ah, the Paradox community...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Slavers, you are seen, you are heard, you are valid.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I guess roleplaying an evil country with a pre-industrial economy is technically a valid playstyle.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Their profile and timeline immediately tells me that they meant it exactly as it reads.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's true that different methods of disciplining labour were used in different circumstances... no one would willingly choose to work themselves to death in a sugar plantation, so sugar production required slavery if it was to exist on a large scale. Slavery was economically "efficient" in that case. It depends on the specifics of the industry, even today there is slavery on fishing boats (it's manual labour with little hope of escape and out of sight of the legal system)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't believe paradox nerfed slavery.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I can't believe paradox nerfed slavery.

I recommend you read Immanuel Wallerstein's World System series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Ah we're getting a bit of new info not covered in diaries, like about inter-market trade.
Yeah, actually, that hit me as kind of a big thing. I guess I never really thought about the fact that (if I understand this correctly) there's no world market. Just a bunch of mostly isolated national markets that can affect each other through trade routes with by/sell orders. Like, that seems like a big deal, actually. You can simulate logistical middle men and stuff like that. Someone who can trade with two markets that can't trade with each other would have a really organic advantage.

That's a really interesting model.

Edit: The organically occurring brain drain simulation they apparently didn't plan for is also super interesting.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 16, 2021