Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's not like gasoline is inherently evil or anything, we just have to manage consumption a hell of a lot better than we do now, and doing things like transitioning to mostly public transit, using more motorcycles and mopeds and bicycles, and increasing city density by a lot will go a long way. electric vehicles have a list of drawbacks a mile long too and switching from a diesel pickup to an electric pickup is absolutely not the answer lol

gasoline isn't inherently evil? dude have you heard of climate change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Smythe posted:

electric motorscooters are cool but really expensive still and bad range. considering a regular gas one gets 100 miles per gallon i'd stick to those for a bit but idk w/e.

yeah i know vespa has an electric motoscooter, but i didn't think they were super popular. and hell judging by those "how many mpg do you have to get in your area for electric to be less polluting" i'm fairly certain a gas scooter is cleaner

thetan_guy42 posted:

Scooters are the worst of both worlds, none of the physical exercise/ mechanical simplicity of the bicycle and none of the carrying capacity/ protection of the car. Plus you look stupid on them, still dependent on fuel I could go on and on

it replaces cars perfectly and gets like 100-150mpg. most people use cars to commute to work and even small scooters are gonna be able to get to 30-40mph

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

it's not like gasoline is inherently evil or anything, we just have to manage consumption a hell of a lot better than we do now, and doing things like transitioning to mostly public transit, using more motorcycles and mopeds and bicycles, and increasing city density by a lot will go a long way. electric vehicles have a list of drawbacks a mile long too and switching from a diesel pickup to an electric pickup is absolutely not the answer lol

You don't think its a bad idea to dig up the remains of ancient animals and burn their spirits?

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Gasoline is literally you burning the corpses of weird old animals and setting their souls loose in our doomed world. And you do this to drive to Publix to buy a sheet cake and a twelve pack of lime seltzer

^^wow efb

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it wasn't caused solely by the existence of gasoline. there are many sources of CO2 output in the world, and compounding the problem is that we are progressively destroying CO2 sinks at the same time. to build a world where everyone can own a car requires energy (mostly hydrocarbon based in the world), steel (carbon intensive production), concrete and asphalt for roads (same problem as steel), and deforestation for these monstrous parking lots, suburbs and highways. a world with gasoline powered machinery can exist in harmony with the environment, but that's not the same as the world we live in where everyone has long wide roads, driveways, parking lots and highways to drive their suvs and trucks everywhere. my point was that switching from gasoline to electricity as the fuel for our current lifestyle is not the answer

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
cars are a great way to take your kayak or canoe up the interior to a beautiful lake for a nice weekend

in fact they may be the only way!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

You don't think its a bad idea to dig up the remains of ancient animals and burn their spirits?

gasoline can be produced synthetically (it's more expensive that digging up oil, but that's what government subsidy is for), but gently caress yeah dig em all up and burn em all, there's nothing more metal than destroying our planet by burning the souls of the creatures that came before :hellyeah:

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

it wasn't caused solely by the existence of gasoline. there are many sources of CO2 output in the world, and compounding the problem is that we are progressively destroying CO2 sinks at the same time. to build a world where everyone can own a car requires energy (mostly hydrocarbon based in the world), steel (carbon intensive production), concrete and asphalt for roads (same problem as steel), and deforestation for these monstrous parking lots, suburbs and highways. a world with gasoline powered machinery can exist in harmony with the environment, but that's not the same as the world we live in where everyone has long wide roads, driveways, parking lots and highways to drive their suvs and trucks everywhere. my point was that switching from gasoline to electricity as the fuel for our current lifestyle is not the answer

While you are completely right, gasoline still bears the quality of a simply evil substance. Abhorrent to the Great Soul

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mayor Dave posted:

its the remains of plankton and algae. by burning gasoline i am getting revenge for all those dogs that jump into algae ponds and die from it by cremating the algae's forefathers in a purifying ritual

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

paul_soccer12 posted:

cars are a great way to take your kayak or canoe up the interior to a beautiful lake for a nice weekend

in fact they may be the only way!

enslave burros

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vomik posted:

i wish scooters were more popular in the us. its tough riding a super cub while some guy swerves his f350 and yells homo at you

Guns are also cheap

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

gasoline can be produced synthetically (it's more expensive that digging up oil, but that's what government subsidy is for), but gently caress yeah dig em all up and burn em all, there's nothing more metal than destroying our planet by burning the souls of the creatures that came before :hellyeah:

are you talking about fischer tropsch? because i've got bad news, it's dinosaur souls all the way down.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

doesn't using a two stroke leaf blower for half an hour create as many emissions as driving like 300 miles or something insane like that

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

doesn't using a two stroke leaf blower for half an hour create as many emissions as driving like 300 miles or something insane like that

in terms of co2 no, in terms of particulates and stuff its probably worst than a year of driving a new car lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

IAMKOREA posted:

are you talking about fischer tropsch? because i've got bad news, it's dinosaur souls all the way down.

direct air capture can supply the carbon feedstock from CO2

e: so can waste plastic, but that's also dead dinosaurs (but you have dead dinosaurs in you right now)

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

direct air capture can supply the carbon feedstock from CO2

e: so can waste plastic, but that's also dead dinosaurs (but you have dead dinosaurs in you right now)

if you are shitposting then lol but if not i'm not aware of any process that can reduce CO2 into gasoline can you tell me its name (not trying to be a dick legit curious)

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

electric bikes are good if, unlike myself, your thighs arent the size of tree trunks and, again unlike myself, your calves are not venous grapefruit-sized orbs of muscle

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

IAMKOREA posted:

if you are shitposting then lol but if not i'm not aware of any process that can reduce CO2 into gasoline can you tell me its name (not trying to be a dick legit curious)

not shitposting, but i am not at home atm. will provide sources later but it should be Google-able, it is new tech and not efficient but it is the basis with which porsche claims they can produce carbon neutral syngas. they're building pilot plants right now to explore CO2 as the carbon feedstock. that was a throwaway comment but ive read the journals and it seems plausible. it is also possible in a roundabout way to use methane as feedstock via the sabatier process

ANYWAY main point was that electrifying cars is a bandaid and not the solution

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I still like The Cars though.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
https://i.imgur.com/AhKJDU2.mp4

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

yard salad posted:

electric bikes are good if, unlike myself, your thighs arent the size of tree trunks and, again unlike myself, your calves are not venous grapefruit-sized orbs of muscle

Sure or just select a lower gear.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

thetan_guy42 posted:

Scooters are the worst of both worlds, none of the physical exercise/ mechanical simplicity of the bicycle and none of the carrying capacity/ protection of the car. Plus you look stupid on them, still dependent on fuel I could go on and on

Scooters are the best of all worlds when you lose your license after your 3rd DUI of the year and you have to drive to work and you can't drive a car or a motorcycle but you can ride a scooter

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

IAMKOREA posted:

gasoline isn't inherently evil? dude have you heard of climate change?

climate change isn’t real friend

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1436362010300751878

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
da share my wife z0ne

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
so does 2 stroke waste from mowers/edgers contaminate lawns ? our soil is poo poo anyway for growing anything useful but i'd like to know

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

thetan_guy42 posted:

so does 2 stroke waste from mowers/edgers contaminate lawns ? our soil is poo poo anyway for growing anything useful but i'd like to know

Nah. It's fine particulates that stay air born and disperse pretty quickly. Obviously those types of things contribute to acid rain and general air-pollution but by themselves 2-stroke lawn equipment local effects are going to be insignificant. If you have factories/smelters/coal power-plants they would be a much greater contributor then a bunch of suburbanites mowing their lawn every weekend.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol some guy in my neighborhood is trying to sell his '08 Sierra 2500 with 350,000 miles for $18, 500

down from his original asking price of $26,000

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

skewetoo posted:

$1 to fart

https://i.imgur.com/QVO5pIK.mp4

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The rental from the black lagoon

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The zone system in London is gross and very clearly exists just to kick working people in the teeth. The same monthly pass that costs $30 in Moscow costs 400 pound in London.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Sep 11, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ardennes posted:

The zone system in London is gross and very clearly exists just to kick working people in the teeth.

it's the kind of thing that makes perfect sense if you don't bother to think about any of the ramifications or side effects

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

zone systems are also confusing and make it harder to use. just charge per trip you assholes!!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its also very funny that terminally corrupt russia could even continue building new metro stations in moscow and st petersburg during the 90s economic and social collapse but this capability is beyond american cities

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

zone systems are also confusing and make it harder to use. just charge per trip you assholes!!!!

make transit free :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The new corvettes look awesome and I'm gonna try to get my rich in laws to buy one because it's gonna be a collectors item and sly Stallone will drive it in the future to catch Wesley snipes