Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

treat posted:

What are you some kind of Slough of Despair liker?!?

Why are you calling me out like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Casimir Radon posted:

I never played Doom 64 on the 64. So I no nostalgia for it to speak of. It’s a cool and different experience and I appreciate that.

Reminiscences from someone who was there:

- The aesthetic difference was significant: colored lighting, distinctly different sprites and textures, gloomier and more atmospheric music, neat sound effects. Doom64 was a head turner when it was new, and felt a little like a version of the game from a parallel universe.
- Level design was generally solid and had fun with the greater capabilities of the hardware - while storage space was limited on the cartridge, nobody in Doom64’s dev team had to worry whether performance would be acceptable on a 386. I was less crazy for the puzzles but they usually weren’t too obnoxious. A sequel made for the N64 Expansion Pak could have been really awesome.
- The weakest part of the whole experience was the N64 controller, but I still liked that part of the experience better than Jaguar Doom. Which is not to throw any mud on that game: given the weird, limited hardware it ran on, I think JagDoom is about as good as it possibly could have been.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just played the first quake episode of the remastered version on Steam this morning with a controller. The game looks and feels super great! Also tried a small bit of Quake 64 and wow that filter/shader is bananas!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I don't remember the pain maze kicking my rear end so damned hard back in the day. Jesus Christ, Sandy, calm the gently caress down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I don't remember the pain maze kicking my rear end so damned hard back in the day. Jesus Christ, Sandy, calm the gently caress down.

I just played this last year and somehow completely forgot what an absolute mother fucker this level is.

One neat thing though is if you trigger the push wall trap and run back through the door you came the trap breaks and lets you take your sweet time sniping the pit.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just finished Elite Force and now its on to the second game. I've been eyeing a Geist replay as well. I played it in 2005 and enjoyed it and for some reason have a hankering to revisit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Barudak posted:

I just played this last year and somehow completely forgot what an absolute mother fucker this level is.

One neat thing though is if you trigger the push wall trap and run back through the door you came the trap breaks and lets you take your sweet time sniping the pit.

Yeah, plus there's no shortage of powerups. Really, it's a lot like a Plutonia map just with spongier enemies.. There's some assholish traps, but it's all quite doable if you manage your weapon selection and approach the fights correctly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

A sequel made for the N64 Expansion Pak could have been really awesome.
There was some early work done on a Doom 64 sequel, called Doom Absolution, that would have been multiplayer focused ala Turok Rage Wars. It didn't last long before being cancelled by Midway, partly due a belief that Doom was past its prime, and partly to move resources onto Quake 64.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I think people are just way more accepting of More Doom But Reskinned now. Doom 64 is good in the same way that a great megawad is good

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Doom 64 is probably the closest any Doom game has come to horror and psychological terror. It owns

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Dimensions Of The Past was pretty neat, especially for something that was a free download. I like all the little touches they clearly figured out in the decades since the base game, like some of the lighting effects and environmental objects being just a little askew for a more "lived in" feel. Also some fun callbacks toward the end. The new Wolfensteins have a ton of old-school shooter DNA, so I guess it's no surprise Machine Games did an OG Quake expac justice.

Is there any background info on the making of the chapter? I have to imagine it was made in the dev's spare time but it still didn't feel half assed in any way. I would love to hear how a modern studio approached an assignment like that.

Sorry for my unsolicited recaps of these, but I'm just having an awesome time with these mission packs! Also, any reccs for what I should check out when I'm done with Dimensions of the Machine?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Dimensions Of The Past was pretty neat, especially for something that was a free download. I like all the little touches they clearly figured out in the decades since the base game, like some of the lighting effects and environmental objects being just a little askew for a more "lived in" feel. Also some fun callbacks toward the end. The new Wolfensteins have a ton of old-school shooter DNA, so I guess it's no surprise Machine Games did an OG Quake expac justice.

Is there any background info on the making of the chapter? I have to imagine it was made in the dev's spare time but it still didn't feel half assed in any way. I would love to hear how a modern studio approached an assignment like that.
Dimension of the Past was made for Quake's 20th anniversary by MachineGames Managing Director and founding member Jerk Gustaffson in his spare time, using the same battered old copy of Worldcraft and vanilla WinQuake level limits that he'd been fiddling with in his spare time for the previous couple of decades anyway. For the Quake re-release he dug out another vanilla map he'd made in the intervening five years and added it a secret map. Also, he learned about Trenchbroom!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Finished Thy Flesh Consumed and started Sigil. It’s pretty cool!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Sorry for my unsolicited recaps of these, but I'm just having an awesome time with these mission packs! Also, any reccs for what I should check out when I'm done with Dimensions of the Machine?
Robert Yang put together a few playlists of thing to check out to mark the 25th anniversary, they're certainly a good place to start!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dimension of the Machine kicks rear end

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1436367380242964480

Hrrrnnnng.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Is there a problem getting things like Arcane Dimensions to work with the new version of Quake? It keeps giving me the "cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64 bit version of Windows" when I try to launch it. (I'm trying to do it through SLQ btw).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haha E5M6 in Sigil tanks the framerate on Switch :black101:

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 10, 2021

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

Is there a problem getting things like Arcane Dimensions to work with the new version of Quake? It keeps giving me the "cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64 bit version of Windows" when I try to launch it. (I'm trying to do it through SLQ btw).

Several AD maps will crash on the new engine. Use a source port like vkquake or quakespasm spiked.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Squeezy Farm posted:

Several AD maps will crash on the new engine. Use a source port like vkquake or quakespasm spiked.

OK, I got Quakespasm Spiked. Where do I go for the command line?

EDIT: Check that, how do I get this to work to begin with? I have the folder in my main Quake folder and copied everything from Id1 into there and it keeps giving me an error message when I try to launch.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 10, 2021

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
How does Alkaline compare against Arcane Dimensions? Is it worth playing after I'm done AD?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Grimthwacker posted:

OK, I got Quakespasm Spiked. Where do I go for the command line?

EDIT: Check that, how do I get this to work to begin with? I have the folder in my main Quake folder and copied everything from Id1 into there and it keeps giving me an error message when I try to launch.

Look up Quakestarter

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Finished Sigil, should I play any of the other add ons in Doom1 for switch or start D2?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

khwarezm posted:

How does Alkaline compare against Arcane Dimensions? Is it worth playing after I'm done AD?

Yes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I must admit that AD has my standards set pretty high, especially Tears of the False God, so if Alkaline is in the same ballpark I'm sure I'll have a whale of a time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Finished Sigil, should I play any of the other add ons in Doom1 for switch or start D2?

No End In Sight is the other really good notable Doom 1 WAD available on the Switch. Warning though, it’s tougher than the levels in E4 you hated.

E: there are a bunch of good mods available on both that are really for Doom 2, so do Doom 2 after NEIS and then come back and ask for more.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 10, 2021

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Look up Quakestarter

I'm sorry, but this doesn't help. I've set up everything with that, using the SLQ2 launcher, selecting Arcane Dimensions from the mod dropdown, and starting that just gets me to vanilla Quake. Trying to choose a map from that menu brings me to the console saying it can't launch that. Are there steps I'm missing?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arivia posted:

No End In Sight is the other really good notable Doom 1 WAD available on the Switch. Warning though, it’s tougher than the levels in E4 you hated.

E: there are a bunch of good mods available on both that are really for Doom 2, so do Doom 2 after NEIS and then come back and ask for more.

Thanks!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Anyone have experience with QuakeSpasm on macOS? I’ve got Quake living in ~/Quake on my 2015 MacBook Pro, and the VkQuake executable I compiled myself works just fine in that folder, but after unzipping and running QuakeSpasm to the same folder it insists that it can’t find gfx.wad and that it needs to have access to the /id1 folder. Any ideas?

Incidentally I’ll be needing to recompile VkQuake soon, as a bug in the MoltenVK library seems to make it choke in fullscreen…

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

khwarezm posted:

Yeah it's good but considerably harder than AD imo. I wish all mods used AD as a base tbh. I really like the projectile shotguns

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Realized I never played Soldier of Fortune so I picked it up from GOG.

Holy poo poo, Raven really nailed the nineties action film aesthetic with this one, didn't they? Even compared to modern shooters, I have trouble thinking of another title that really makes you feel like your Arnie or Stallone like SoF does. I just chased terrorists who stole a nuclear bomb, shot a guy with a rocket launcher in the face with one of the best sounding shotguns ever and then used that rocket launcher to blast all other enemies including a tank that tried sneaking up on me.

Oh, and that launcher is the same weapon that we know and love from Commando. :hellyeah:

EDIT: I stole Rambo's machine gun and get to try it out on a bunch of neo nazis. Thanks Raven!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Realized I never played Soldier of Fortune so I picked it up from GOG.

Holy poo poo, Raven really nailed the nineties action film aesthetic with this one, didn't they? Even compared to modern shooters, I have trouble thinking of another title that really makes you feel like your Arnie or Stallone like SoF does. I just chased terrorists who stole a nuclear bomb, shot a guy with a rocket launcher in the face with one of the best sounding shotguns ever and then used that rocket launcher to blast all other enemies including a tank that tried sneaking up on me.

Oh, and that launcher is the same weapon that we know and love from Commando. :hellyeah:

EDIT: I stole Rambo's machine gun and get to try it out on a bunch of neo nazis. Thanks Raven!

It really is a shame Raven forgot what made SoF so great (it’s over the top, campy, 90s action movie vibe and villains and violence) and with SoF II went with a much more grounded narrative and trying to be semi more realistic.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
I played them out of order and SOF was definitely the better game. The tone in 2 was dour in comparison, with awful forced stealth sections that would spawn endless waves of enemies as soon as the alarm was tripped with no means of disabling it. The exception being the multiplayer which was fantastic and I played it near daily for a couple years when I was in high-school. It was a nice in-between in speed and ttk when you compare it to something like CS and the arena shooters that were popular at the time (Q3A & UT). I can still hear the little drum fill fanfare that would play every time you got a kill :allears:

The gore system is still impressive and I can't think of any recent games that even approach it as far as how many dismemberment points there were, combined with gnarly poo poo like bones sticking out and arterial spray after you amputate a dude's leg with a shotgun.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
They took out the dick/nut shots from SoF 2 so there's no real reason to play it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vakal posted:

They took out the dick/nut shots from SoF 2 so there's no real reason to play it.

is nothing sacred

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w772lEMH7E

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It really is a shame Raven forgot what made SoF so great (it’s over the top, campy, 90s action movie vibe and villains and violence) and with SoF II went with a much more grounded narrative and trying to be semi more realistic.

I still think the way the first game turned out is a happy accident. If the old pre-release material is to be believed, SOF2 is the kind of game they had wanted to make all along.

Stockwell posted:

I played them out of order and SOF was definitely the better game. The tone in 2 was dour in comparison, with awful forced stealth sections that would spawn endless waves of enemies as soon as the alarm was tripped with no means of disabling it. The exception being the multiplayer which was fantastic and I played it near daily for a couple years when I was in high-school. It was a nice in-between in speed and ttk when you compare it to something like CS and the arena shooters that were popular at the time (Q3A & UT). I can still hear the little drum fill fanfare that would play every time you got a kill :allears:

The gore system is still impressive and I can't think of any recent games that even approach it as far as how many dismemberment points there were, combined with gnarly poo poo like bones sticking out and arterial spray after you amputate a dude's leg with a shotgun.

This is because the singleplayer had a ton of extraneous bullshit tacked onto the gunplay because they were trying to go for the sim crowd. Stuff like higher simulated recoil and extreme aim penalties while moving, which was drastically lowered or just outright removed for a lot of guns in multiplayer resulting in a punchier arcade feel.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 11, 2021

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

After much tinkering with my MiSTer I got it set up, installed some classics and have been generally having a blast. I installed Dark Forces and have been happily humming the Star Wars theme to myself while gunning down imperials but man having not played old FPSes in ages getting used to the controls has been an interesting process.

It did get me wondering about early FPS control schemes in general though. I was alive in the era but when I was a kid Doom and Duke 3D were both strictly forbidden in my household, meaning I only really played Doom in brief snatches at a friend's place and drifted away from FPSes in general for a while. By the time I came back, WASD + mouselook was pretty firmly established. For those pre-mouselook games, was there ever any sort of standardized control scheme that players seemed to settle on?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Mouse+arrow keys were basically the standard, or full keyboard controls with arrow keys and space/Ctrl/alt/shift most of the time. Numpad could be used instead of arrow keys.

The id guys played with arrows+mouse during development iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah it's good but considerably harder than AD imo. I wish all mods used AD as a base tbh. I really like the projectile shotguns
Are there mods that combine AD with the gameplay changes from Copper?