Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
All I've heard about Cthulhutech is how awful it is, and that there was a new edition in development hell. I've never read either, so for all I know it could actually be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mellonbread posted:

All I've heard about Cthulhutech is how awful it is, and that there was a new edition in development hell. I've never read either, so for all I know it could actually be good

I've heard that it had some interesting ideas, but also some gross bits of lore and the system math was broken. I don't know how salvageable the cool poo poo is.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's not.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cthulhutech combines Guyver, Macross and Evangelion and somehow manages to be worse than any of them, in addition to replacing the anime stylin' that made several of those very popular with a mixture of off-brand Mythos poo poo and a patented blend of "sexual assault, used for cheap drama, and about which you can do nothing!" That's right, settle for nothing else than "CthulhuTech: Ten Sexual Assaults Per Page."

Actually, settle for something way more. Take a second look at that: it's less fun than Evangelion.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The setting as laid out in the core book and several of the early supplements is pretty good but falls apart in later books and there's a couple setting bits even in core that are kind of dumb(like getting rid of the Dreamlands) but overall I definitely think it's something that can be salvaged

Rules are definitely trash though

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I only remember it as Tentacle Rape: the Game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Even in the core book it contains easily the most unusable rules and completely unplayable premade adventures that I've seen in a modern professionally published game. Which mainly consist of the GM describing sex trafficking to the players that they cannot do anything to stop

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I only remember it as Bestiality Hyperpregnancy: the Game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

The setting as laid out in the core book and several of the early supplements is pretty good but falls apart in later books and there's a couple setting bits even in core that are kind of dumb(like getting rid of the Dreamlands) but overall I definitely think it's something that can be salvaged

Rules are definitely trash though
In what sense? Like if you want to use the Cthulhu Mythos or some 90s-era anime OVA energy for a campaign, that's badass... but at that point you are just coming up with a custom setting, perhaps vaguely gesturing at the shape of this poo poo-rear end game on the horizon.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just because it's bad, doesn't mean it should not be in the OP. :colbert:

GURPS Cthulhupunk should also be there

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Drone posted:

How does Last Things Last compare to PX Poker Night as an intro operation for a group who are new to Delta Green?

PX Poker night for a oneshot/con game; LTL for launching a campaign with the bonus it's tight w out you can combine session 0 and session 1 to take them new characters for a creepy spin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

GURPS Cthulhupunk should also be there
Cthulhupunk is pretty cool actually, though a lot of it is that they have a pretty well realized cyberpunk world AND THEN Cthulhu. I also remember it dealt squarely with the unfortunately-named cat in the room, even in the original version from the late 90s.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Charlz Guybon posted:

It is now.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fenarisk posted:

I've always wanted to run cthulhu-esque games in the late 60's, with the amount of new age isms, sex, drugs and social norms flying all over, plus you have Vietnam. It'd make for an awesome setting. Hell, True Detective showed it would work awesome in the 80s.

The real sexual revolution occurred in the 20s and 30s. The Boomers who came of age in the 60s and 70s appropriated it with along everything else. The shift from courtship to dating in the 1910s, the proliferation of the automobile, the movement of unmarried women into the workforce, World War One and the Flu pandemic, all of these resulted in a vast increase in sex before marriage with multiple partners.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Fenarisk posted:

I've always wanted to run cthulhu-esque games in the late 60's, with the amount of new age isms, sex, drugs and social norms flying all over, plus you have Vietnam. It'd make for an awesome setting. Hell, True Detective showed it would work awesome in the 80s.

It uses the Gumshoe system rather than BRP, but Fall of Delta Green by Ken Hite from Pelgrane Press is exactly this. You play Delta Green agents in the 1960s when DG was still an official, though obviously clandestine, US government operation.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've always kinda wondered what it is about the setting of the Vietnam era that made The Fall of Delta Green an attractive option versus just.. playing a normal Delta Green game set in the same era. Like, do the Gumshoe mechanics in any way enhance the 60's specific themes?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Drone posted:

I've always kinda wondered what it is about the setting of the Vietnam era that made The Fall of Delta Green an attractive option versus just.. playing a normal Delta Green game set in the same era. Like, do the Gumshoe mechanics in any way enhance the 60's specific themes?

I don't think the Gumshoe mechanics add anything special - it's just that Ken Hite has hitched his wagon to that system. The setting merely highlights the moral ambiguity of Delta Green - they say they're doing bad things for the greater good, but are they really? I don't see any reason why you couldn't change some of the BRP mechanics and use the fluff from Fall instead.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I don't love the Gumshoe system, at least not any version of it that I've played (haven't played NBA, KiY version also looks cool). However, if you do like Gumshoe better than D100, Fall of Delta Green has adaptations of the base Delta Green mechanics that you could hypothetically use to run modern day DG in Gumshoe.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

mellonbread posted:

I don't love the Gumshoe system, at least not any version of it that I've played (haven't played NBA, KiY version also looks cool). However, if you do like Gumshoe better than D100, Fall of Delta Green has adaptations of the base Delta Green mechanics that you could hypothetically use to run modern day DG in Gumshoe.

And Night's Black Agents is pretty much perfect for running 90s Delta Green!

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Nessus posted:

Cthulhutech combines Guyver, Macross and Evangelion and somehow manages to be worse than any of them, in addition to replacing the anime stylin' that made several of those very popular with a mixture of off-brand Mythos poo poo and a patented blend of "sexual assault, used for cheap drama, and about which you can do nothing!" That's right, settle for nothing else than "CthulhuTech: Ten Sexual Assaults Per Page."

Actually, settle for something way more. Take a second look at that: it's less fun than Evangelion.

Woooof. I remember this from Berlin the Wicked City. Not trying to yuck anyone's yum, but I think it's fair to say RPGs should not* touch sex or sexuality with a ten foot loving pole. Oh there's a sex angle in this CoC module? In this game about tentacle monsters some of whom crossbreed with humans? Jeez, I wonder what that angle could be, and I can't wait to spend four days across the next month learning exactly what it is in detail.

If the group that is running the game feels the need to have that stuff in their TTRPG, they'll bring it in with them. Otherwise all the book writer/GM is doing is making everyone else be an unwitting and unwilling part of them getting their rocks off.

*Or, at least not horror games. There's really only one horrific angle to sex and the last time anyone brought anything new to that table was 40 years ago when Alien asked what if men could be raped... AND have to give birth?

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Yeah there is ARMIES of VERY GRAPHIC pregnancy/birth/rape/etc. horror in Call of Cthulhu, from the new Berlin book to some of the absolute classics. The official stuff is practically wall to wall sexual horror, even in scenarios that don't overly call for it. I had a VERY rough time running Camp Sunny at Gen Con specifically because of that, and I really should have maybe raised it as an issue with the organizers, but at least I brought an X-Card told every table "yo there's a plot element that gets a bit freak-nastier than usual, if you want I can excise or alter it". I only ran with it because I thought I'd get in trouble if I deviated from the scenario as-written (never mind that I did that every session and never had a problem).

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I only ran with it because I thought I'd get in trouble if I deviated from the scenario as-written (never mind that I did that every session and never had a problem).

It's funny how you can get away with putting your own stank on things in pretty much any way you want with TTRPGs, but if you touch certain things, certain people suddenly come out of the woodwork as staunch textural purists.

"This improv exercise has devolved into complete anarchy! How dare you disrespect this improv game by making stuff up!"
"You mean the stuff where I handwaved bonus/penalty die or the rules for grappling, or where I just told people they could buy anything it would make sense their character could afford instead of totting up purchases to the cent against what they'd previously declared they had in their pocket books, or the bit where I allowed the party to exercise PC-ESP to act on non-secret information another PC learned in private without an explicit 'catch-up session' back at the safehouse, or the bit where I didn't mention this guy has a 15 year old sex slave golem that serves no plot purpose?"
"Lets just say it's one of those."

Warthur
May 2, 2004

To be fair, an improv exercise only works as an actual improv exercise if it takes place within a set of mutually-agreed constraints. Though you are not wrong that some people's ideas of what the universal framework of some games should include can get really nitpicky.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
To be fair the other 85% was social anxiety

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Warthur posted:

To be fair, an improv exercise only works as an actual improv exercise if it takes place within a set of mutually-agreed constraints. Though you are not wrong that some people's ideas of what the universal framework of some games should include can get really nitpicky.

O yea, like I said. Not trying to run anyone down, if people want to have some sort of vore/tentacle/rape fetish fantasy romp within the mythos and CoC ruleset, that's cool as long as they all agree in advance that's what they're doing and the DM checks in from time to time that everyone's still on board. At which point in writing the previous sentence I've realized I've stopped talking about RPGs so much and am specifically talking about how you do sex, which is not what I, personally, gently caress around with RPGs as an outlet for.

Like, don't enlist me in the sex you're trying to have, or at least ask me first so I can say no and do something else. Do it with my blessings but without my presence.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I forgot I had pre-ordered the Impossible Landscapes Delta Green campaign and it arrived in the mail this week. The book looks amazing, and reading it gives me chills.

Things is, I don't have the new Delta Green rpg, just the old CoC stuff XD.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I forgot I had pre-ordered the Impossible Landscapes Delta Green campaign and it arrived in the mail this week. The book looks amazing, and reading it gives me chills.

Things is, I don't have the new Delta Green rpg, just the old CoC stuff XD.

I think Impossible Landscapes is quite adaptable to vanilla CoC, not least because it assumes that the PCs are with the Outlaws, not the Program, which in turn means they don't have so much in the way of institutional backup beyond what they can muster through their day jobs, which in turn means that you can adapt the investigations to non-Delta Green PCs a bit more easily.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’m gonna get new DG one of these days, just couldn’t find the two books together anywhere.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

http://www.delta-green.com/games-and-fiction/

The "need to know" quickstart rules are enough to run the game. I think you can buy the hardbacks from their site there as well, though if you're trying to ship outside the US I know costs get crazy.

The 'conspiracy' kickstarter finished at like 518k today, and they've started doing semi-frequent twitch things as well, though its a bit random for the time it happens and what is being run, and I think they might only be keeping them up for a couple weeks before moving them to the dead channels patreon. They've been pretty fun so far.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

There's also the Delta Green bundle of holding for the next day or so. The $13 tier on this one is all you need (the Agent's Handbook). The higher tier and the other bundle are all just adventures or fluff (though the Handler's Guide is full of great stuff and I'd highly recommend it).

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’m gonna get new DG one of these days, just couldn’t find the two books together anywhere.

Keep looking, the slipcase set was recently re-printed. Though when my preferred online shop here in Germany finally got it in, it was also only two copies, and they sold out within a half hour of the stock being updated, one of them to me :grin:

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 11, 2021

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I would say Handler's Guide you definitely want because the magic part of the system is in there, as is the proper rundown of what Delta Green actually is and how it works. I think you can run some adventures without it, but you might struggle in parts (especially if you need details of a spell not reprinted in the adventure).

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Apropos of nothing, I just happened to spot this in my bookmarks sidebar on mobile:

:cthulhu:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Handled my first session of Delta Green today :toot: We ran through PX Poker Night on FoundryVTT and it was really good!

I was skeptical about the module at first since the first half of it relies a lot on the characters engaging with the base/NPCs/etc., but it really hit its stride and we ended up playing for about an hour longer than I intended.

One of the players was playing Carlos Herrera and he ended the session with 2 sanity points and a bevy of new Disorders :sickos: Though I did fudge it just a little bit to prevent him from going insane outright... his player wasn't super experienced with TTRPGs I think I wanted him to not have an awful time.

The module says to continue on with Convergence, but I think that's legacy text from the old-rear end version of PX Poker Night. Since Convergence hasn't been officially rereleased since Delta Green went standalone (yet... it's part of the Delta Green: Conspiracy kickstarter, but those PDFs aren't due until November).

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Drone posted:

Handled my first session of Delta Green today :toot: We ran through PX Poker Night on FoundryVTT and it was really good!

I was skeptical about the module at first since the first half of it relies a lot on the characters engaging with the base/NPCs/etc., but it really hit its stride and we ended up playing for about an hour longer than I intended.

One of the players was playing Carlos Herrera and he ended the session with 2 sanity points and a bevy of new Disorders :sickos: Though I did fudge it just a little bit to prevent him from going insane outright... his player wasn't super experienced with TTRPGs I think I wanted him to not have an awful time.

The module says to continue on with Convergence, but I think that's legacy text from the old-rear end version of PX Poker Night. Since Convergence hasn't been officially rereleased since Delta Green went standalone (yet... it's part of the Delta Green: Conspiracy kickstarter, but those PDFs aren't due until November).

That's awesome, you can go anywhere from there, really. What did they players find most engaging? The baddies? Poking around investigating?

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
I've been thinking about picking up the Masks slipcase set and running it and have a few questions for people who have played or run it before:

Are there any sections that stand out as not working well or being unclear to the players?

After catching up on the thread I was thinking of adding in an element of SAN and POW recovery during travel or other downtimes in case it feels like players are getting punished for discovering stuff - is this a good idea?

Should I run it as Pulp instead?

Any other quality of life tips for running a CoC campaign?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Elendil004 posted:

That's awesome, you can go anywhere from there, really. What did they players find most engaging? The baddies? Poking around investigating?

To be honest I'm not sure, I think it was just overall the mystery of the whole thing, plus the fact that the entire base is going crazy around them.

Very looking forward to the next night at the opera, though. Thinking about maybe running Operation FULMINATE from the Handler's Guide, just have to hack it around a little to fit the 90's setting instead of modern-day.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fake Name posted:

I've been thinking about picking up the Masks slipcase set and running it and have a few questions for people who have played or run it before:

Are there any sections that stand out as not working well or being unclear to the players?

After catching up on the thread I was thinking of adding in an element of SAN and POW recovery during travel or other downtimes in case it feels like players are getting punished for discovering stuff - is this a good idea?

Should I run it as Pulp instead?

Any other quality of life tips for running a CoC campaign?

I would definitely run it Pulp. Maybe not full blown psionics and weird science Pulp, but the talents and increased stats, Luck and survivability, etc Pulp. The campaign by itself is pretty two-fisted and globe-trotting in tone and there is enough dangerous poo poo to fight that allegedly in the Olden Days of pre-7e players used to go through characters like gloves.

From my personal experience - there will be a lot of breaking and entering and just... murder within city limits in the few first chapters and you'll probably have to make the police and neighbours a lot more oblivious and uncaring to it all to make things work.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Megazver posted:

I would definitely run it Pulp. Maybe not full blown psionics and weird science Pulp, but the talents and increased stats, Luck and survivability, etc Pulp. The campaign by itself is pretty two-fisted and globe-trotting in tone and there is enough dangerous poo poo to fight that allegedly in the Olden Days of pre-7e players used to go through characters like gloves.

From my personal experience - there will be a lot of breaking and entering and just... murder within city limits in the few first chapters and you'll probably have to make the police and neighbours a lot more oblivious and uncaring to it all to make things work.

Thanks, I've never really checked out pulp (been meaning to though) so I'll pick it up as well and give it a go.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
My group is taking a break from our current 5e campaign to do some spooky Halloween type one-shots for October. I've been wanting to run a CoC game for a while now and this is the perfect opportunity. I'm currently building a one-shot scenario, but since I've never run it before, I don't know how much is 'to much', so to speak. So I decided to look through some of the various scenarios I have and see if any of those would work as a potential one shot.

I have the Doom Train scenario from the Horror on the Orient Express adventure. If anyone has run that, does that seem like it would work as a one-shot or even a two-session shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
CoC, as a horror game, is more or less built for one-shots. And I'd definitely run at least a few published scenarios before I attempted to write my own - it's not easy to write a good player-proof mystery.

As for specific scenarios, I really like the Saturnine Chalice from Dead Light and Other Dark Turns. The titular scenario is solid as well. Most of the scenarios in the Starter Set and the Mansions of Madness v1 are good as well.

Doors to Darkness is often recommended to new players, since it was a book specifically written for them, but I've recently come to realize I don't actually like the scenarios in it all that much.