Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^Thom is kind of the best character, so I'm down for that.

I actually find Sanderson's statement makes me less concerned about the show lol. Sounds like the showrunners should be framing it that way to fans. But maybe they fear killing the fan buzz and losing some of their momentum among the broader audience as a result.

edit: I wonder if they've had to rewrite any of the prophecies, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Changes were inevitable in a series as long and as "dense" as it is. I am aware none of the books are heavy reading, but honestly things need to be ADAPTED for the screen not translated there. I'm just happy it's getting a major money production at all, just hoping they can last long enough to do all the really big set pieces justice.

Thom would be a great narrative center piece, Moraine i think is a really good place to launch it with. There are a lot of other characters that don't get central viewpoint chapters that would be cool to see from others in the TV. I think given we won't have literal internal monlogues, I'll be curious if they really play with the "who is our narrator central viewpoint" as it could get played with in a similar fashion to the books which would be very cool.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, nothing about what sanderson said is a surprise. we've been saying it constantly for months now in that stuff is going to have to be changed. there's literally no way to adapt every single thing from the series, nor would i even want them to.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I would want them to, but obviously it can't work that way.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, nothing about what sanderson said is a surprise. we've been saying it constantly for months now in that stuff is going to have to be changed. there's literally no way to adapt every single thing from the series, nor would i even want them to.

Yeah I'm kinda incredibly psyched to see if they can do it well, because I think it could at least turn out way better than the base series. Like, imagine if (plot threads from the books here) A huge swathe of the Perrin wanders in the wilderness looking for Shaido and Faile, Elayne and company loving around in Ebou Dar, Elayne's Caemlyn poo poo, the interminable trudge from Salidar to the Tower, etc were slashed and condensed down to a much more well focused narrative that avoids the pitfalls of the books those plotlines appear in and drag down.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
We already knew they were doing some of this with at least Aei Sedei characters, having as many one or two appearances by unique women was never in the cards for a TV show so may as well consolidate into less but more recurring characters.

And obviously Logain.

I wonder what major character could just be cut entirely?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
They didn't even cut Else Grinwell so who knows.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Yea, it's the same story we all know but just a little different.

Unrelated, I looked up Balefire on the wikia site and it has a subsection titled "Notable people balefired" and for some reason that just really made me laugh :allears:

If they're notable, you didn't use enough balefire.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Edit sorry wrong thread

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 10, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please keep in mind that this is the tv show thread and not the book thread

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

please keep in mind that this is the tv show thread and not the book thread

At least one of the two threads should have their names changed, they're too similar in my Bookmakrs page :saddowns:

Jeff Bezos Amazon Presents Robert Jordans The Wheel of Time
Robert Jordan's The Waste of Time - Spanking the Dragon: Amazon Prime! [SPOILERS]

Why do they both need the author's full name as well as Amazon in the title.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

One's got [SPOILERS] at the end and one doesn't hth

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CainsDescendant posted:

One's got [SPOILERS] at the end and one doesn't hth

You're right, I have no idea why I'm getting them confused so easily.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
[SPOILERS] should probably move to the front of the title, yeah, lol

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

They just better not cut that horse that follows them around.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

They just better not cut that horse that follows them around.

They already cast Lan

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I have always thought the best series would have been set at the Breaking

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also the first scene better be the Blood Snow and “He is risen!” *falls over dead*

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Upgrade posted:

Also the first scene better be the Blood Snow and “He is risen!” *falls over dead*

This would actually make for a pretty good little prologue-replacement scene to kick off the series and set Moraine going, darn.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As long as they cut Faile from the show I will be happy.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I read 14 books, some of them twice, and it's going to take this dang TV show to teach me how to pronounce "Aes Sedai".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Omnomnomnivore posted:

it's going to take this dang TV show to teach me how to pronounce "Aes Sedai".

...It's in the glossary

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I read 14 books, some of them twice, and it's going to take this dang TV show to teach me how to pronounce "Aes Sedai".

Eyes Said-I

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Silly, it's only 19 days of audiobooks runtime to learn this secret.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pleads posted:

Silly, it's only 19 days of audiobooks runtime to learn this secret.

Tbf it'll only take a couple of hours to reach the first mention

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just want to hear how Nynaeve is pronounced.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oasx posted:

I just want to hear how Nynaeve is pronounced.

Nigh-kneeve

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Rarity posted:

Tbf it'll only take a couple of hours to reach the first mention

Yeah but at least 3 books before they settle into the pronunciation.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Pleads posted:

Yeah but at least 3 books before they settle into the pronunciation.

And don't get me started on how many different versions of "Moghedien" they went through! :rolleyes:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

jng2058 posted:

And don't get me started on how many different versions of "Moghedien" they went through! :rolleyes:

That one's amazing because they very clearly got a note from the author saying "No, say it this way," and they totally do! ... For like a book, book and a half. And then slide back toward their earlier, awful, pronunciation as the series goes on.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I distinctly remember hearing Loial pronounced two different ways in the same paragraph

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I only ever remember them pronouncing it like the word Loyal

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Johnny Joestar posted:

I don’t feel too worried about character changes. There are parts of the books where it feels that there were changes anyways (as there always is with editing a book or tv series). For example, in The Great Hunt, some of the Elayne and Egwene characterization seems mixed up, almost as if they were originally the same character and got switched up for some reason, probably love interest reasons.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The list of named characters in WoT is absurdly long, especially female channelers and random nobles. You can easily cut the number of Saidar users in half and still end up with a cast that has more women than men. There are also insane things like the characters Perival and Pelivar, who are both Andoran high seats. So two of the 12 most powerful nobles in Andor have near identical names, which is just bad. Combining or outright eliminating a lot of characters is a necessity for a TV adaption, and wouldn't have hurt the book series either.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 11, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm willing to bet that they either truncate or completely cut Moiraine's wild ride. No way they can make that work like in the books.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Really looking forward to the WoT-head in my life, the one who claims to have visited Jordan at his house and was at his deathbed and was imparted special knowledge about WoT that nobody else knows, even his wife, and who I just unloaded all his luggage after a cross-country move and a heron-marked sword fell out,

the one who insists, per RJ's own mouth, that Aviendha is pronounced "EH-vee-end-ha",

to go into a rage when the TV show pronounces it the way the glossary says

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Really looking forward to the WoT-head in my life, the one who claims to have visited Jordan at his house and was at his deathbed and was imparted special knowledge about WoT that nobody else knows, even his wife, and who I just unloaded all his luggage after a cross-country move and a heron-marked sword fell out,

the one who insists, per RJ's own mouth, that Aviendha is pronounced "EH-vee-end-ha",

to go into a rage when the TV show pronounces it the way the glossary says

Why do people get like this about WoT? I don't understand it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Sab669 posted:

I only ever remember them pronouncing it like the word Loyal

somewhere early on, michael says loyal and low-eye-ul. I'm on my 4th or 5th listen so I feel fairly confident it happened, I think posted about it in the BB thread when I first noticed. Never going to rule out my brain making it up though.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah they say Loial a little weird a few times when he's first introduced for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Pleads posted:

Yeah they say Loial a little weird a few times when he's first introduced for sure.

I can see thinking "it can't just be Loyal, can it? That's too on the nose"