Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Echo Chamber posted:

Hot take: Prequels are bad, but not interesting bad. It just has "Star Wars" in the title, and neckbeards can't talk about anything else.

it’s interesting in how far the execution diverges from the pitch. the elevator pitch for those movies sounds way better than they actually wound up being. also Duel of the Fates still rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The fight with Darth Maul was entertaining as gently caress and sometimes I imagine what it would have been like if the rest of the movie didnt suck rear end and there was real emotional weight going into it

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the prequels are really awful

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Candyman (2021): what if the Overlook Hotel was actually Pruitt-Igoe?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

So the Galactic Senate sent mediators to a conflict they had no capability or intention of solving or really doing anything about, and this gets Jar Jar Binks elected to that very same body as a political outsider.

We're going to need an Episode 1.5.

Serf
May 5, 2011

God Hole posted:

is the candyman remake good? i've only heard bad things

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

wasn't scary at all. wrt its commentary on art criticism, it felt about as clumsy as Velvet Buzzsaw. overall i wouldn't say i was bored but it was a pretty long 90 minutes

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
based shia labeouf and lizzie mcguire reminding me to be patriotic and stand up for the flag

https://twitter.com/Ilana_Who_/status/1423435411225989127

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Echo Chamber posted:

Hot take: Prequels are bad, but not interesting bad. It just has "Star Wars" in the title, and neckbeards can't talk about anything else.

feels a bit cart before the horse, no? did the idea of star war pop fully formed into the head of the first nerd, ready to argue about?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

buddy,

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Can't forget about 7th heaven hard enough.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Good soup! posted:

The fight with Darth Maul was entertaining as gently caress and sometimes I imagine what it would have been like if the rest of the movie didnt suck rear end and there was real emotional weight going into it

darth maul pacing in front of liam neeson meditating was a better moment than the next 7 movies combined

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

God Hole posted:

is it not set in cabrini-green anymore? i mean, it can't be because they finished being torn down in the late 00s early 10s but the row houses are still there

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

i enjoyed candyman 2021 overall but I’m still thinking about how to feel wrt to the ending being Tony Todd riding in on a swarm of bees to do out of focus action movie poo poo to a bunch of cops, before looking directly into the camera and saying “look forward to the sequel”

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
horror doesn't need to be scary :colbert:

don't know about new candyman tho

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8heUIZtLOwA

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DoombatINC posted:

like half the theater broke up laughing at the punctuated lightsaber shwooom which prompted some guy near the front row to scream "SHUT UP EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP" through his tears
I read this to my sister who also doesn't give a gently caress about Star Wars and we shared a short but hearty laugh.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Kate falls apart by the third act, just misdirection for the sake of misdirection

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DoombatINC posted:

One of my favorite movie-going memories was during Revenge of the Sith during the scene where Anakin kills the younglings, like half the theater broke up laughing at the punctuated lightsaber shwooom which prompted some guy near the front row to scream "SHUT UP EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP" through his tears

You know what, maybe I don't actually miss theaters

I was in a huge IMAX thing for The Last Jedi completely packed and this lady in the front row had her giant 9 inch samsung out browsing the web right when the movie was starting and 3 or 4 dudes started yelling

“put that loving phone away or its going up your rear end”

etc

I was dying laughing getting ready to watch someone get murdered.

anyways thats my star wars story

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Koirhor posted:

I was in a huge IMAX thing for The Last Jedi completely packed and this lady in the front row had her giant 9 inch samsung out browsing the web right when the movie was starting and 3 or 4 dudes started yelling

“put that loving phone away or its going up your rear end”

etc

I was dying laughing getting ready to watch someone get murdered.

anyways thats my star wars story

typical toxic star wars fandom. i hope they were disappointed in it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Prequils were boring but brough us pod racing.
The Sequels were safe, good, and then holy poo poo the worst absolutely the worst.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

the sequels amaze me for simultaneously carrying the flaws of both design by committee and singular vision

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Knight posted:

horror doesn't need to be scary :colbert:

don't know about new candyman tho

Scariest piece of media in my life was the junkyard level in the game Manhunt, when the player is hunted down by paramilitary skin heads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnhtpDP1ff8&t=2550s
Just something right on the edge of reality.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what matrix content was there outside of the trilogy, game, and animatrix?

it's a wonder that the universe didn't get mined to oblivion like star wars or MCU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
don't forget path of neo and the matrix online

also don't forget the bullet time parodies, which I'm pretty sure were required by WGA rules to be put into every single movie in Hollywood for three years

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

There is also the extremely canonical Computer Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmK_c2--PfI

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

owns

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the sequels amaze me for simultaneously carrying the flaws of both design by committee and singular vision
I can't wait for sequel discourse to reach the "they're bad, but in a very fascinating way" stage.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

shrike82 posted:

it's a wonder that the universe didn't get mined to oblivion like star wars or MCU
There was an entire collection of psuedo-fanfiction short stories hosted on the official matrix website, some of it written by semi-famous authors.

I remember there was one where aliens showed up and started hurling asteroids at earth and the machines had the brilliant plan of going all Last Starfighter and finding the best pilot in the matrix and sending him up there in the best spaceship they could build to nuke the aliens. He does but then realizes that of course the machines didn't build any way to get him home. So of course as he's running out of air in his cockpit he asks them to hook in back into the matrix one last time so he can say goodbye and they do because why not they're sentimental like that. And sure this begs the question of why he couldn't just pilot the spaceship remotely but hey it's a sad story written around getting to a specific ending.

Probably should have adapted some of these stories into a second Animatrix collection.

EDIT: found it!

https://matrix.fandom.com/wiki/Goliath

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/cyberpunk/goliath.shtml

Assepoester has issued a correction as of 02:07 on Sep 11, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Serf posted:

well it's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ix7TUGVYIo

i mean why not. what's the worst that can happen

this looks bad but i can't really put my finger on the why

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

this looks bad but i can't really put my finger on the why

I mean, as a big fan of The Matrix that trailer doesn't particularly come across as feeling much like the rest of the movies. Even if it's just because they were products of their time.

I'm expecting another pretty bad soft reboot.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
the matrix sequels are good however both the Star Wars sequels and prequels suck rear end hth

Serf
May 5, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

I can't wait for sequel discourse to reach the "they're bad, but in a very fascinating way" stage.

the only interesting one is tlj because johnson clearly had a vision that conflicted with the studio's and the movie is the result of them taking whatever cut he handed them and hacking it into something that is half good and half piece of poo poo. its so rare that a movie of that size so clearly displays the effects of big studio meddling in such a messy fashion

and they all become very funny when you read that they had no plan going in and were just making it up as they went along

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The United States posted:

I remember there was one where aliens showed up and started hurling asteroids at earth and the machines had the brilliant plan of going all Last Starfighter and finding the best pilot in the matrix and sending him up there in the best spaceship they could build to nuke the aliens. He does but then realizes that of course the machines didn't build any way to get him home. So of course as he's running out of air in his cockpit he asks them to hook in back into the matrix one last time so he can say goodbye and they do because why not they're sentimental like that. And sure this begs the question of why he couldn't just pilot the spaceship remotely but hey it's a sad story written around getting to a specific ending.
The really interesting story would be "The Man With 1000ms Latency". (Assuming Moon distances)

Though I just realized, with the fact that he's supposedly living in an accelerated environment where a couple of hours is about 15 years, 1000ms latency would get translated into like 18 hours in the simulation.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

The first Matrix is still really good, I'll definitely watch this new one.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

shrike82 posted:

It's WB, lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Finished watching matrix:revolutions and I've concluded that movies a slog and if you want to watch a movie that tackles similar themes infinitely better you should watch mobile suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack

i say swears online posted:

I like how in '99 our collective reaction to Keanu getting cast as neo was "...really? him?"

But he'd already been in speed and point break by that point both legendary action films in their own right

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Johnny Mnemonic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Serf posted:

the only interesting one is tlj because johnson clearly had a vision that conflicted with the studio's and the movie is the result of them taking whatever cut he handed them and hacking it into something that is half good and half piece of poo poo. its so rare that a movie of that size so clearly displays the effects of big studio meddling in such a messy fashion

and they all become very funny when you read that they had no plan going in and were just making it up as they went along

I love how the writer of TROS looked at how TLJ said 'Rey came from nothing' and said 'What does that really mean?' in an interview and retconned one of the better plot points of the sequels into some fanservice bullshit.