Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lazyfire posted:

I spent part of this week trying to explain to management that our designers hosed up and failed to specify that a serial number needed to be put on the label for a cable harness. So for the last few days people are demanding I ship finished product that meets all of our design requirements back to the vendor to be relabled, something we could do on site. Notably, the vendor didn't do anything wrong, they labeled the parts TO OUR SPECIFICATIONS, but we've decided that we want to change it now that someone realized we hosed up and put the onus on the vendor to fix our mistake.

Two Roads Brewing bought a decommissioned milk truck to be a parking lot based fermentation tank for their Gose series. They later ended up building a new facility for their sours, but the idea of salty sour beer coming out of a giant hose attached to a tanker truck is a visual I can't get out of my head.

Same. These dumb shits in the South fail to spec' things or they do something like run prototype packaging as production and then when it catches up to them, they without fail blame the heathen Chinese. I have to communicate everything. It gets tiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Outrail posted:

Does this mean you've been exposed as well? Every American who gets sick at work should be able to sue the poo poo out of their employer.

Iirc the rule is you specifically can't sue your employer, that got tacked on with trumpbux or something

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Iirc the rule is you specifically can't sue your employer, that got tacked on with trumpbux or something

Just cough on your boss.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Someone radioed for me and had me walk most of a mile to look at something “because it’s too complicated for the radio”.

The issue was some equipment was red tagged and they wanted to know if they could use it. The equipment. With a big red tag on it. That said “DO NOT USE”. It was that kind of night.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You should've walked all the way there, thoroughly inspected the tag, and said "Sorry, I don't know" and walked away.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

If you have a routine question my dept can assist with, do you

-take a minute and fill out a ticket request like you've been asked to do multiple times, which we aren't being jerks about but our management requires to have records?

-begin mass email chain to dozens of employees asking for someone, anyone to help, continuing to add depts even after someone early in the chain provides the solution because you didn't think that fix would work (without trying it)?

If you're Corporate HR, you know the answer

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

Does this mean you've been exposed as well? Every American who gets sick at work should be able to sue the poo poo out of their employer.

There's a lot of things in America that should be. The people who decided that hospital emergency stockpiles would be "well we can just order it from China if we really need it" should be rotting in jail instead of getting bonuses, but here we are.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone radioed for me and had me walk most of a mile to look at something “because it’s too complicated for the radio”.

The issue was some equipment was red tagged and they wanted to know if they could use it. The equipment. With a big red tag on it. That said “DO NOT USE”. It was that kind of night.

Thats when you slap a bigger sign on it stating the same thing.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Zil posted:

Thats when you slap a bigger sign on it stating the same thing.

Somebody needs to sell tags saying "DO NOT loving USE".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A new sticker that says "Read the loving tag".

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

* Radios for you *

"Excuse me, is this hose in use?"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I have a desperate and crushing need to respond to a 5:21 pm Friday email with 'Thanks for your email, kindly go gently caress yourself!'. Can someone talk me out of it before I lose my job?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Outrail posted:

I have a desperate and crushing need to respond to a 5:21 pm Friday email with 'Thanks for your email, kindly go gently caress yourself!'. Can someone talk me out of it before I lose my job?

What time does your workday end? 'cause if it's at 5:00pm uh... stop checking your e-mail after hours, my dude.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zopotantor posted:

Somebody needs to sell tags saying "DO NOT loving USE".

This is my favorite red tag I’ve ever come across.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Batterypowered7 posted:

What time does your workday end? 'cause if it's at 5:00pm uh... stop checking your e-mail after hours, my dude.

Yeah I just left. Plenty of time to start strife on Monday

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Outrail posted:

Yeah I just left. Plenty of time to start strife on Monday

#FuckEm

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If you have a routine question my dept can assist with, do you

-take a minute and fill out a ticket request like you've been asked to do multiple times, which we aren't being jerks about but our management requires to have records?

-begin mass email chain to dozens of employees asking for someone, anyone to help, continuing to add depts even after someone early in the chain provides the solution because you didn't think that fix would work (without trying it)?

If you're Corporate HR, you know the answer

Where’s the option to search the company intranet for how to fill in a ticket because you’ve never been trained how to do it, find multiple separate and different forms, and email IT to ask, only for them to get angry about the fact you don’t know how to do something you’ve never been told or shown how to do?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Where’s the option to search the company intranet for how to fill in a ticket because you’ve never been trained how to do it, find multiple separate and different forms, and email IT to ask, only for them to get angry about the fact you don’t know how to do something you’ve never been told or shown how to do?

IT responds to you when you email them???

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Barudak posted:

You know their email address?!?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

support@sewer.it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My employer has a bad habit of paying to expedite construction/equipment installation and doing the payment as a up front/substantial completion by x date payout, not up front/six months later after meeting quality targets and it drives me loving insane.

The result is basically the work equivalent of when you move into a brand new apartment building where the doorknob is falling off and sometimes the toilet doesn’t flush, or sometimes it does but leaks water everywhere.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Scientastic posted:

As someone who has been in multiple IT departments, we are often told that its part of your orientation/training and even are shown training materials to prove it. Then it's not actually given to about half of the company, and then there's a few assholes that just refuse to learn ANYTHING and like to bitch at us, so then we start to assume EVERYONE is loving with us and taking us away from actual problems with their "how do I use google?" and "my monitor is broken--oh, it's just off!" issues. IT shouldn't show you their anger, not denying that, but just pointing out that it's a problem caused by MANAGEMENT.

Like nearly every issue in every workplace.

I'm not kidding, I got chewed out by management because one of the problem-ladies upstairs couldn't figure out that her monitor was off, even though I asked twice to check the power cable and button. It was a loving relief to leave that job.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Ah geez, yeah. The last company I worked for I was at for over 10 years. I started in entry level phone tech support and ended up getting promoted like 80 times until I was a senior QA in software development. Through a bunch of those positions I was in, I'd get tickets from someone else in tech support or sales or whatever that were just like "Customer states the website isn't working right." and they'd just fire it off to the escalation path to other people in the company.

Like... Hey, tell me what the hell YOU would do with that level of information if it was sent to you, scrub. We'd constantly have to send back tickets escalated to higher tier tech support, devops, development, etc, with a note basically saying "what the gently caress? don't ever do this." and they'd just send them back most of the time with a note saying it's still broken and we need to fix it. Is there an error code? Is there a button that doesn't do what they expect? Does a page lead to a 404? Is there a visual glitch? What?? WTF is "WEBSITE BUSTED LOL" anyway? I grew to hate lazy tech workers who find an issue and then just send it off to others with no information or troubleshooting just so their on-paper ticket numbers looked better.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kntfkr posted:

Same. These dumb shits in the South fail to spec' things or they do something like run prototype packaging as production and then when it catches up to them, they without fail blame the heathen Chinese. I have to communicate everything. It gets tiring.

I've been trying to get the designers to actually review designs instead of rubber stamping them because we have bad labels, wrong part numbers and sometimes just the wrong raw material (cable harness showing 20 AWG wire when it needed 22 AWG. Another drawing lists a "Stainless Steel A36" bracket. A36 steel isn't stainless). I get a crazy amount of push back largely because the team's buyer is, in their minds, supposed to be a living Amazon Wishlist and I shouldn't be questioning designs or part selection. Every time I change companies I tell myself I'm not going to stress out and try to solve problems that aren't necessarily mine, but I've realized I'm more interested in solving problems than endlessly ordering the same monitors and DVI cables every day.

In other news, my company starts union contract negotiations on Monday and my wife was saying that her business unit is pushing the company to give in to whatever they need to so there isn't any disruption on the shop floor; everything is already late and slipping every day. I speculated that the major point of contention may end up being the COVID vaccine mandate. We have pretty strict rules about who can be on site, mask wearing and vaccination status already. I can see the union having members who demand an opt out or weekly testing option. I can also see the company demanding vaccinations. This'll be fun to watch.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

Last job I started at, the companies internal trouble ticket system didn't actually work at all. Nobody could file a ticket at all. The contact page directed people to file a ticket to tell them that the ticketing system wasn't working. I contacted the head of support to let them know and he told me there wasn't a problem because nobody had complained. I finally got sick of my computer not working, so I bitched to my branch manager and the system finally started working. The IT manager contacted me to personally whine at me for getting him in trouble and I'm still torn between feeling smug about ruining this jerk's day, and guilty for ratting a co-worker out to upper management.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

My employer has a bad habit of paying to expedite construction/equipment installation and doing the payment as a up front/substantial completion by x date payout, not up front/six months later after meeting quality targets and it drives me loving insane.

The result is basically the work equivalent of when you move into a brand new apartment building where the doorknob is falling off and sometimes the toilet doesn’t flush, or sometimes it does but leaks water everywhere.

There must be a reason, this doesn't make sense. All substantial contract sizes have a phased approach based on deliverables, final quality check, and remaining release after x amount of time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lascivious Sloth posted:

There must be a reason, this doesn't make sense. All substantial contract sizes have a phased approach based on deliverables, final quality check, and remaining release after x amount of time.

Extended downtime on conveyance and wire guidance is just such a fact of life in the buildings they expedite that it’s the only thing that makes sense. I see flaws that are easily diagnosable and severe from an uptime perspective but a little time consuming to fix it’s the only thing that would explain it. I’m not privy to the contracts so for all I know it’s just they consistently pick amazingly lovely contractors but the fact it’s everywhere is :psyduck:

Like I’ve seen conveyors in two buildings that are literally shaking themselves apart over time because of the lovely rush job.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Extended downtime on conveyance and wire guidance is just such a fact of life in the buildings they expedite that it’s the only thing that makes sense. I see flaws that are easily diagnosable and severe from an uptime perspective but a little time consuming to fix it’s the only thing that would explain it. I’m not privy to the contracts so for all I know it’s just they consistently pick amazingly lovely contractors but the fact it’s everywhere is :psyduck:

Like I’ve seen conveyors in two buildings that are literally shaking themselves apart over time because of the lovely rush job.

ohh so mass conveyor production. Yeah, I have no experience that, I thought you were talking about civil construction.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Amazon warehouse safety in this case. My last safety gig was a 1.1GW LNG power plant and it went like four months past the schedule but at least it worked and didn’t fart itself to death.

Really if poo poo breaks that should be an operations problem and I should only have to worry about making sure the repair operations are done correctly but since most of the managers are fresh out of college I pretty much have to babysit them through every kind of malfunction so they don’t tell someone to do something stupid and dangerous.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Amazon warehouse safety in this case. My last safety gig was a 1.1GW LNG power plant and it went like four months past the schedule but at least it worked and didn’t fart itself to death.

Really if poo poo breaks that should be an operations problem and I should only have to worry about making sure the repair operations are done correctly but since most of the managers are fresh out of college I pretty much have to babysit them through every kind of malfunction so they don’t tell someone to do something stupid and dangerous.

I majored in OSCHA many years ago and worked only a short time in it, and all I remember is that we create the criteria to meet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dongsturm posted:

Last job I started at, the companies internal trouble ticket system didn't actually work at all. Nobody could file a ticket at all. The contact page directed people to file a ticket to tell them that the ticketing system wasn't working. I contacted the head of support to let them know and he told me there wasn't a problem because nobody had complained. I finally got sick of my computer not working, so I bitched to my branch manager and the system finally started working. The IT manager contacted me to personally whine at me for getting him in trouble and I'm still torn between feeling smug about ruining this jerk's day, and guilty for ratting a co-worker out to upper management.

I 100% support you having ratted this idiot out. Smugly commenting that the ticketing system must be fine because no one filed a ticket about it is some galaxy brain poo poo.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I can’t get too specific, but my company is about to have some serious staffing issues.

- covid protocols disappeared and we all HAD to be back in the office at the beginning of the summer (despite consecutive record/far above industry average quarters while 90% wfh as of Q2 2020)

- promotion of the most toxic team leads and directors to ownership and VP spots, heavily influencing a slew of MAYBE 20% general employee approval policies… time reporting, org chart shifting, “GET BACK IN THE OFFICE”, workflow process mandates by people not connected to the actual workflows, etc…

- instant culling of @5% of the staff (loved, respected, capable and awesome people too) not 3 weeks into the original lockdowns, then gloating over performance numbers that would have easily provided for that staff while we’d all get fat Q2 bonuses and hit >7% (!) growth when our industry was down 30-50% on average thanks to markets v covid fears

- the aforementioned toxic promoted ppl making work life in general miserable for the labor by belittling, dismissing and taking credit when possible for their work.

- if we complain or report any malfeasance of these toxic ppl to any exec/HR/management, we’re met with “well… you know you’re pretty lucky to have a job in this industry, soooo…?”

- I’m on my way out in the next 2-3 months (probably 3, just before Xmas bonuses are rolled out, lol) as outside consultants are being brought that mimic my departments’ skill sets/roles. I’m wanting to give my 2 weeks right after the bonus is given (it’s pretty big yo)… so I’m not offended really. I know they’d do anything to save a single buck to add to their piles of millions of bucks.

- at least 15-20% of the other employees are planning on getting out in the next 2-3 months too.

Personally, I can’t wait to jump ship to (hopefully) a non-profit/activist org that will let me sleep at night knowing my work may actually help people that need it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yes. Get that bonus and the minute it hits your bank account resign. gently caress em.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Can employees sue the company if they force workers back to work during the pandemic, which then spreads covid to the workers, when the work can all be done online?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Catastrophe posted:

Like... Hey, tell me what the hell YOU would do with that level of information if it was sent to you, scrub. We'd constantly have to send back tickets escalated to higher tier tech support, devops, development, etc, with a note basically saying "what the gently caress? don't ever do this." and they'd just send them back most of the time with a note saying it's still broken and we need to fix it. Is there an error code? Is there a button that doesn't do what they expect? Does a page lead to a 404? Is there a visual glitch? What?? WTF is "WEBSITE BUSTED LOL" anyway? I grew to hate lazy tech workers who find an issue and then just send it off to others with no information or troubleshooting just so their on-paper ticket numbers looked better.
At a job way back each tier of support had to document what information gathering / troubleshooting steps they had performed in the ticket. If you didn't do any and just escalated, it would immediately get kicked back.

We let people in the support chain know that troubleshooting skill was one of the main factors when considering promotions, which was both a pretty good carrot and a good way of encouraging people to learn how to troubleshoot. It was also a good way to weed out the people who didn't do any troubleshooting and lied about it in the ticket.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Aramoro posted:

This is a really well known issue though? A
Like any non total dipshit Brewer is going to know this. Still very very funny though.

:thunkin:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Can employees sue the company if they force workers back to work during the pandemic, which then spreads covid to the workers, when the work can all be done online?

In my state? No. Our governor is actively trying to spread covid.

But I gotta say, Biden’s plan invoking OSHA sounds pretty rad… once again tho, in my state it probably wouldn’t get anywhere.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Outrail posted:

The job that got me to uninstall work email and alerts from my phone was one where:

* every single of the hundreds of people on the project felt they could email me directly about any issues
* "issues" included anything from forgetting their password ("what was it?"), through trying to get various platforms and databases to do things they weren't designed to do, to statistical advice
* my "team" consisted of me and me alone
* people expected instant answers and fixes
* and they contacted me around the clock including Xmas Eve and New Years Day

Seriously, you're going home, stuck in traffic, looking forward to a few days off and your phone lights up with complaints that they can't download the entire contents of secure gigabyte-scale database.

After that, I started answering mail from 10 to 4 strictly. And just stopped answering the worst offenders.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

nonathlon posted:

The job that got me to uninstall work email and alerts from my phone was one where:

* every single of the hundreds of people on the project felt they could email me directly about any issues
* "issues" included anything from forgetting their password ("what was it?"), through trying to get various platforms and databases to do things they weren't designed to do, to statistical advice
* my "team" consisted of me and me alone
* people expected instant answers and fixes
* and they contacted me around the clock including Xmas Eve and New Years Day

Seriously, you're going home, stuck in traffic, looking forward to a few days off and your phone lights up with complaints that they can't download the entire contents of secure gigabyte-scale database.

After that, I started answering mail from 10 to 4 strictly. And just stopped answering the worst offenders.

We're apparently supposed to have an on-call phone but haven't yet implemented it because our boss has seen some of the calls that go through for equivalent teams at other locations and is basically digging in that until the service desk stops being utter poo poo, we're not doing any on-call BS, because gently caress 1 AM "My touch pad isn't working and this needs to be handled as a P1" phone calls.

He's also ex-Navy and has been harping on "'Navy' is an acronym for 'Never Again Volunteer Yourself'" lately, especially for the dude on our team who keeps trying to get us to take on more work when we didn't get a raise this year and make less than the teams at other locations while handling more tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Lazyfire posted:

Another drawing lists a "Stainless Steel A36" bracket. A36 steel isn't stainless).

This made me so mad