Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Metallica has been a greatest hits band for like 25 years and that "eh-yah!" thing James Hetfield does is really grating.

Could be worse, could be Steven Tyler's "gi-gi-gi-gi-aow" thing that peaked in the 90s.

Read After Burning posted:

Only Metallica's first two albums were good. :colbert: I think the Black Album sucks poo poo.

Hooray I'm not alone! Though maybe Enter Sandman is tolerable off of that album. The rest of it I don't remember at all because Sandman is like the first song iirc. I do remember it was all down hill after that.

Speaking of the Stones, didn't they have a ridiculously expensive re-release of Let it Bleed like a couple of years ago that was just over a 100 for minimal bonus material/perks? And a lot of the internet derided it as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

This is the conventional wisdom, but trve wisdom is realizing all thrash metal is rubbish :c00lbert:

That’s why load is the best Metallica album

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Structurally Mater of Puppets is identical to Ride the Lightning, but I still consider it good

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

Thank god I'm not alone. Some coworkers were trying to hash out what the best Metallica songs were today but couldn't remember what was one was on what album because there are too many good songs apparently. Also Whiskey in the Jar didn't make the cut. I know that one's a cover song but I didn't think it was too bad but I last listened to it years ago. Anyways I'd rather throw on a Raven album or something else these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIVsGGEOeHE

Best cover of Whiskey.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

Structurally Mater of Puppets is identical to Ride the Lightning, but I still consider it good

Misread that to be Pastor of Muppets for a minute

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

metallica is, like, okay. a few good tunes but not anything to structure your life around

the best thing to happen with this tribute record is that kamasi washington is on it and that cover is the poo poo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Turbinosamente posted:

Could be worse, could be Steven Tyler's "gi-gi-gi-gi-aow" thing that peaked in the 90s.

Speaking of bands that peaked in their first three albums and went on for several decades too many.

quote:

Speaking of the Stones, didn't they have a ridiculously expensive re-release of Let it Bleed like a couple of years ago that was just over a 100 for minimal bonus material/perks? And a lot of the internet derided it as well?

It's worse than that. It came with nothing special at all or even a fancy jacket. It was just a color vinyl reissue of the album that cost a hundred bucks.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of bands that peaked in their first three albums and went on for several decades too many.

It's worse than that. It came with nothing special at all or even a fancy jacket. It was just a color vinyl reissue of the album that cost a hundred bucks.

It was hand-poured! Whatever that means. But they poured it by hand, so it must be good.

It's like that ERC poo poo where they sell their records for $500, and audiophiles fall for it. No record is going to sound that good to be worth that money.

BigFactory posted:

That’s like saying Herman’s Hermits was better than the stones

Finally, another Hermaniac! Herman's Hermits were truly the best band of the 1960s, and in time, history will remember them as the true titans.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

They had 3.5 good albums and it's been mediocrity ever since.

This is being VERY generous.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

This is being VERY generous.
Which part more so?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Which part more so?

I was referring to the 3.5 good albums, but I guess mediocrity is overselling a lot of their output too now that I think about it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I just pre-ordered the Metallica Black Album because it was $8. I was a young kid when it came out and 8bux for a little nostalgia bomb to throw on my radio show is worth it. It's a pretty good pop metal album.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I'm an '...And Justice For All' stan. Would've been interesting to see them go full blown prog after that.

Black Album is meh. Sad But True's a banger tho.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'm an '...And Justice For All' stan. Would've been interesting to see them go full blown prog after that.

I thought the video for One was the coolest thing on Mtv.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KccfZCojTY

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Justice is my half, I don't dislike it, but it just isn't up to snuff to the previous releases, for obvious reasons. It's something I need to be in the right mood for

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Some kind of monster is peak Metallica

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

Some kind of monster is peak Metallica

Some Kind of Monster is a great comedy. Almost reaches the heights of This is Spinal Tap. See also The Dandy Warhol's Dig for more dipshit rockers acting like spoiled little children.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Swung by Skeleton Dust Records for the first time in 3-4 weeks. They ask for used record mailers to reuse so it felt good dropping off a handful of them before browsing. Pretty happy with my score after 5 minutes of browsing. Also feeling confident that I was one of the reasons they got the Marisa Anderson + William Tyler record in the shop. Lol

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
Paid another visit to http://rattlebackrecords.com/ Today. Was planning on getting the 2017 reissues of Rubber Soul and Revolver, however these happened to be in the new arrivals bin.

I guess I'm ignoring my own soft "nothing past 1980" Joni rule.

Yes I know. :emo:
Swear to god I never thought would come across Mineral on vinyl in the wild.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Have my record player arriving later today, and I picked up my first record yesterday, Finally Evangelion, from Barnes & Noble. I'm going to check out an actual record store after work and see what I can dig up that I already want to get, or seems weird and cheap enough that I want to buy it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Roth posted:

Have my record player arriving later today, and I picked up my first record yesterday, Finally Evangelion, from Barnes & Noble. I'm going to check out an actual record store after work and see what I can dig up that I already want to get, or seems weird and cheap enough that I want to buy it.

There’s an album from the 60’s you might like. Instrumental music. Some horns. Very upbeat. Quite a famous cover.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BigFactory posted:

There’s an album from the 60’s you might like. Instrumental music. Some horns. Very upbeat. Quite a famous cover.

Trout Mask Replica is pretty good, I agree

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Roth posted:

Trout Mask Replica is pretty good, I agree

I can never get past the first few songs. Should try it again soon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

not emptyquoting, it's good

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CaptainBeefart posted:

I can never get past the first few songs. Should try it again soon.

I can’t tell if you’re joking? It’s an overrated album IMO. I can appreciate it’s original and influential, but outside of a few songs there’s not much to latch onto. Maybe I’m just a lame-o, but Ella Guru, Moonlight on Vermont, and Pachuco Cadaver are great, and the rest of it just kind of blends together for the most part.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CaptainBeefart posted:

Swung by Skeleton Dust Records for the first time in 3-4 weeks. They ask for used record mailers to reuse so it felt good dropping off a handful of them before browsing. Pretty happy with my score after 5 minutes of browsing. Also feeling confident that I was one of the reasons they got the Marisa Anderson + William Tyler record in the shop. Lol

gently caress yeah Sparks! I was just listening to Music That You Can Dance to along with a whole bunch of others tonight. I find I tend to like their 80s/disco ish sounding stuff the most.

As to my recent pick ups, well an FYE store reappeared in the local mall so I'd figured I'd see how far the mighty have fallen. And me oh my was there a small section of pointless reissue vinyl in the middle of the store, surrounded by nerd tat. I wound up overpaying for both Clutch- Full Fathom Five because I liked the retro styled cover and the 10th anniversary remaster of Wolfmother's self title since I figured it might be a pain to find the original press, 2005 is a bit of a grey area. Clutch was alright, they're a new to me band and I wasn't listening close enough to form a real opinion. I haven't played Wolfmother yet either because they did the old split the album over 2 discs and I didn't want to run and flip sides every three songs. The most pointless reissue I saw at FYE was Jim Croce by the way. Might have been I Got a Name I just remember the gold cover and thinking to myself "who is demanding this?"

Also I sold some poo poo to the local proper record shop that exactly covered John Entwistle's Smash Your Head Against the Wall and Whistle Rymes. Just had to examine every frigging copy to find the best condition one.

Edit: It probably goes without saying that I will not bother with that random FYE ever again, my curiosity is satisfied.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 12, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Smash Your Head Against the Wall loving rules.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

My recent pick ups.

Bar-Kays was picked out as a surprise by my daughter, because she liked the cover. It’s actually really great funk instrumentals, no idea if this is a well known funk record or something random, but it’s dope

Link Wray is a reissue, just discovered this album for the first time like a month ago and it’s great. Didn’t know much about Link Wray aside from Rumble and some other songs from that era, but his stuff I’ve heard from the 70s is much funkier. Jukebox Mama is the standout jam imo

The Les Paul 7” was comped by my local record store owner who I’m very slightly friends with. He was playing it in the shop and I started talking with him about how great Les is, and he was like, I’m probably never going to sell this so you can just take it. Still need to find some more Les Paul albums for my collection

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Bar-Kays are legit - great find by your daughter! I have another one of their albums; little bit of a different vibe for the cover haha.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Turbinosamente posted:

gently caress yeah Sparks! I was just listening to Music That You Can Dance to along with a whole bunch of others tonight. I find I tend to like their 80s/disco ish sounding stuff the most.

As to my recent pick ups, well an FYE store reappeared in the local mall so I'd figured I'd see how far the mighty have fallen. And me oh my was there a small section of pointless reissue vinyl in the middle of the store, surrounded by nerd tat. I wound up overpaying for both Clutch- Full Fathom Five because I liked the retro styled cover and the 10th anniversary remaster of Wolfmother's self title since I figured it might be a pain to find the original press, 2005 is a bit of a grey area. Clutch was alright, they're a new to me band and I wasn't listening close enough to form a real opinion. I haven't played Wolfmother yet either because they did the old split the album over 2 discs and I didn't want to run and flip sides every three songs. The most pointless reissue I saw at FYE was Jim Croce by the way. Might have been I Got a Name I just remember the gold cover and thinking to myself "who is demanding this?"

Also I sold some poo poo to the local proper record shop that exactly covered John Entwistle's Smash Your Head Against the Wall and Whistle Rymes. Just had to examine every frigging copy to find the best condition one.

Edit: It probably goes without saying that I will not bother with that random FYE ever again, my curiosity is satisfied.

I went into an FYE once recently, and it felt like I was in a store whose sole purpose was to go out of business. You just look at it, and there's nobody who is being catered to. The record selection was a joke. The movie selection was a wide range of used DVDs and Blu-Ray, meaning you could get all this forgotten straight to video comedies aimed at college boys real cheap.

It was sad.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thanks, all, for making me aware of FYE stores, I was not aware of one, or the fact that there's one in the mall here. I might actually go in the mall now.

On a side note, I purchased a cheap beater trumpet and an electric pickup for it so I could use it with my synthesizer, gonna play a few bars of the Herb through it sometime for you dedicated fans.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cemetry Gator posted:

I went into an FYE once recently, and it felt like I was in a store whose sole purpose was to go out of business. You just look at it, and there's nobody who is being catered to. The record selection was a joke. The movie selection was a wide range of used DVDs and Blu-Ray, meaning you could get all this forgotten straight to video comedies aimed at college boys real cheap.

It was sad.

Sounds really poignant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSIXgqsSW6g

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BTW, you guys have been a bad influence on me. I'm now bidding on a colored vinyl double set of a hopefully really awesome recording, I'll show you if I win it. Never thought this would happen to me.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Cemetry Gator posted:

It was sad.

At least it had a movie section, mine didn't really outside of one small rack of TV sitcoms I think? Nothing used either and I bet it's due to the fact that it's a newly established store. The original one we had closed when FYE hit the skids and went bankrupt too? I thought they at least retreated to be a solely online retailer and that would be that for the chain.

I can see the why does this exist now aspect too; there were few people in the store and the clerks were clearly bored as they had nothing to do except wait for some one to buy something as the store was neat, clean, and fully stocked. And the proportion of pop nerd poo poo to actual media was worse than the average Gamestop. Why would anyone go to FYE now to buy funko pops, Avatar the Last Airbender, Harry Potter, novelty socks, board games, headphones, and bottom end Crosleys when plenty of other big chains offer this? All it did was make me realize how good we had it in the late 90s and early 2000s with the old FYE and hey you guys remember Media Play?

Anyways the tl;dr is good luck on your adventure petit choux, we must indeed be a terrible influence on you.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

At least it had a movie section, mine didn't really outside of one small rack of TV sitcoms I think? Nothing used either and I bet it's due to the fact that it's a newly established store. The original one we had closed when FYE hit the skids and went bankrupt too? I thought they at least retreated to be a solely online retailer and that would be that for the chain.

I can see the why does this exist now aspect too; there were few people in the store and the clerks were clearly bored as they had nothing to do except wait for some one to buy something as the store was neat, clean, and fully stocked. And the proportion of pop nerd poo poo to actual media was worse than the average Gamestop. Why would anyone go to FYE now to buy funko pops, Avatar the Last Airbender, Harry Potter, novelty socks, board games, headphones, and bottom end Crosleys when plenty of other big chains offer this? All it did was make me realize how good we had it in the late 90s and early 2000s with the old FYE and hey you guys remember Media Play?

Anyways the tl;dr is good luck on your adventure petit choux, we must indeed be a terrible influence on you.

Newbury comics are like that. It used to be 50-50 music and comics, then it was leaning more towards music with a small comics selection, then the nerd paraphernalia started taking over the stores. Now they’re at least 50-50 nerd paraphernalia and everything else. They have a much better music selection than an FYE though.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
My local shop just got a few copies in of The Miseducation of Eunice Waymon...think I'm paying them a visit shortly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The last FYE in my area was actually pretty cool if you were in there for movies. They had a lot of cool poo poo and frequent sales on blu-rays often at better than amazon prices. The used prices on stuff were really good too. I miss it.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Toe Rag posted:

I can’t tell if you’re joking? It’s an overrated album IMO. I can appreciate it’s original and influential, but outside of a few songs there’s not much to latch onto. Maybe I’m just a lame-o, but Ella Guru, Moonlight on Vermont, and Pachuco Cadaver are great, and the rest of it just kind of blends together for the most part.

I was serious with my statement. I know it's expected to enjoy? the album but a few tracks aside I'm not super impressed by it. Tbf I haven't given it a fair listen in around 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Maybe this is more up your alley:

Or maybe this:

Jeez, I couldn't see what I was doing too well when I took those, sorry for the blown-out everything.