Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Northern Independence Varty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of waterchat earlier, I was just reading some history of Leicester and surroundings getting potable water.

quote:

For much of the second half of the 19th century the municipal authorities were engaged in a long struggle to provide the borough with an efficient system of sewerage and sanitation. Wicksteed's sewerage scheme, though it had improved the town's health considerably, proved as time went on to be increasingly inadequate. The sewers themselves seem to have been badly constructed and particularly to have had too little fall, but the worst defect was the failure of the works set up by Wicksteed to deodorize the liquid sewage before discharging it into the Soar in an efficient manner. In consequence of this failure the river became badly polluted downstream from the works, and as early as 1867 it was remarked that for several years previously the stench from the river in the summer had been most obnoxious. It was long, however, before the situation was effectively remedied. A proposal to experiment with the irrigation system of sewage disposal, brought forward in 1870, was not adopted because it was thought to be too expensive, and in 1873–4 another scheme to improve the sewers and sewage works was considered but abandoned because the Local Government Board did not approve it. In 1875 another plan for treating the sewage by irrigation was dropped because of its cost and it was not until 1885 that a thorough reform of the sewerage was set in hand. In the meantime the existing sewage works were extended in 1877.

That this postponement of radical changes was at all possible was due to the adoption of the pail-closet system. The increasing use of water-closets in Leicester had been hindered by the refusal of the water company to supply water for a closet alone and its insistence that no water would be supplied unless it was taken for all purposes. It was also found that in the poorer areas of the town water-closets were not properly used and were soon out of order. In 1871 the corporation decided to introduce the pailcloset system, which had been successful in various northern towns, and some 7,000 pail-closets were eventually installed. This development certainly did much to relieve the defective sewers, but difficulties arose in the removal and disposal of the night soil. At first, up to 1873, this had been removed by contractors, but the system proved unsatisfactory, and the task was then undertaken directly by the local authority although it proved to be very expensive.

Water companies dumping untreated waste into rivers again, and the local authority conclusion of "proles can't use a toilet properly, have you tried making GBS threads in a bucket like a Northerner?" followed by private contractors just slinging the buckets into the first hedge that they found until the whole thing ended up being done at more public expense than actually building a sewer is very relatable.

e: Also "it appears you are trying to use water for public health. have you read the water company end user agreement?" :lmao:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What constitutes inefficient discharge of liquid sewage into the river?

Is that if it gets too thick and won't go out of the pipe so you have to send a man with a stick to poke it out?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's not very efficient at public sanitation when the river stinks of rear end and anyone who drinks from it gets the shits and then the whole thing falls over.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I can see an increase in demand for the profession of dunnikin divers* in our post-brexit future.

*T Pratchett

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1436388387884306443

Who do we know in lab that likes to hit the bottle and go on late nite twitter sessions?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Love that independent disciplinary procedure.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

StarkingBarfish posted:

Who do we know in lab that likes to hit the bottle and go on late nite twitter sessions?

Neil Coyle has form , but he's such a oval office, I doubt anyone would let him near the OFFICIAL LETTERS.
Really, the problem is that Labour at the moment is full of the kind of irredeemable assholes you wouldn't bother kicking into the Thames if they were on fire.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'd wager it was Akehurst on the vars, myself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I just remembered a local mini-hist sideline I went off on regarding water supply and this:

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah I think that's the 'bit creepy for a garden shed' bit, but industrial and utilities companies also pulled all of that kind of poo poo in certain periods, in the same way as having some kind of Queen Anne revival water pump with quoins and an octagonal viewing tower for the water accumulator, because otherwise stately home NIMBYs wouldn't allow people to have water, which in turn led to a bunch of far more architectural than necessary utility sheds.

OwlFancier posted:

Especially in saltburn that was explicitly built as a resort town for all the robber barons who ran the industry between Redcar and Stockton, a faux gothic utility cupboard would not be at all out of the ordinary.
So that particular pumping station was built for Cropston Reservoir and the specific stately home NIMBY was Lord Stamford, who among other things demanded some artistic involvement, including that the surrounding wall be an old-style dry stone wall, and the pumping station be built in a manner matching the family manor, Bradgate House.

You can see it in the octagonal tower and quoins and roofing, but there's no big chimneys. Big chimneys sound like they'd be useful for a pumping station fired by two large beam engines with coal fired boilers, but they had to work around it because Lord Stamford didn't want big chimneys.

Why? Probably because he didn't think that Bradgate House had big chimneys. And how could he think that? Probably because by 1866 Bradgate House looked more like

It was a ruin, Stamford didn't live there, his finances were a wreck, which is in large part why so much cheap land was available that a big reservoir became practical over two other sites even though this one was the only site that needed a pump, and it ended up patterned after what he thought his ruined manor that he couldn't even live in once looked like.

"What do they call this act?"

kingturnip posted:

Neil Coyle has form
I was thinking Coyle, but he usually goes more for other cunts than inside baseball.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 10, 2021

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Today's bullshit had finally made me cancel my DD to Labour and it's pretty liberating not going to lie.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

StarkingBarfish posted:

Thank god the grown ups are back in charge

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You say ruin, I say "in better condition than a lot of middlesbrough"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

StarkingBarfish posted:

One suspects a sleaze who got told to gently caress off trying for some revenge.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You say ruin, I say "in better condition than a lot of middlesbrough"
I like that the Wikipedia entry says "Lord Stamford was a great patron of the Turf. On his death in 1883, the barony of Delamer and earldom of Warrington became extinct" rather than "Lord Stamford pissed it all up the wall on the horses."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Patron of the Turf makes me think he like, killed people and buried them in the lawn or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or he was a big contributor to that wealth fund that the Guardian still runs off of.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can see an increase in demand for the profession of dunnikin divers* in our post-brexit future.

*T Pratchett

As always with Pratchett, heavily based on a real thing. Toshers (which of course he wrote a non-DW book about) were kids who would crawl through the pre-Bazalgette sewers looking for coins and other valuables dropped down there (the post-Bazalgette ones were generally free-flowing enough to make this not a particularly profitable endeavour, although the Metropolitan Board of Works did have to employ guards to stop them erecting nets and dams in the sewers to try and trap stuff).

They were related to (and often the same people as) the mudlarks who would do the same job on the Thames foreshore (amazingly toshing was actually safer than mudlarking on some bits of the Thames - quicksands and a 4-knot tide meant that it was very, very easy to end up dead on the pre-embanked Thames) whereas sewers generally discharged at or above the high tide line so - outside of cholera season - the risk of death by drowning was considerably lower, while the chances of dying because you were rooting around in literal human poo poo was about the same because guess what a lot of that "quicksand" was made of?

When times were hard they'd also turn their hands to nicking off boats on the Thames (including stealing nails, lead caulking and copper anti-fouling sheets off the hulls, rather safer than trying to get onto the boats themselves, although both included not only the drowning and arse-death risks of toshing and mudlarking but also the rather more real risk of the sailors or lightermen kicking the poo poo out of them - the formation of the river police was one of the few times that more police equalled less danger for the poorest people because the plod would at least take them to a magistrate rather than beating them up and chucking them in the river).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

SpaceCommie posted:

Today's bullshit had finally made me cancel my DD to Labour and it's pretty liberating not going to lie.

Welcome, comrade

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's not very efficient at public sanitation when the river stinks of rear end and anyone who drinks from it gets the shits and then the whole thing falls over.

There's a (probably apocryphal) story about the sewage system in Cambridge. Cambridge is on the fens so is already susceptible to flooding and so the arrival of the flush toilet was even more problematic for the Cam than it had been for the Thames, and so they - like London - installed a load of interceptory sewers to try and intercept the poop on the way to the river and take it out of town.

However the pumping engines were only specced for a normal amount of rainfall and heavy summer showers could easily overwhelm their capacity to empty the sewers, meaning - just as it does in London to this day - the combined sewage and rainwater just overflowed into the Cam. They only decided to change this (and incidentally install the first gas-fired pumping engines in the world, because additional steam engines, which took a day to get up steam, were pointless in the days when weather forecasting consisted of looking out the window) when Queen Victoria visited and asked why the river and it's banks were festooned with small squares of paper, to which the Mayor replied that they were "Notices prohibiting swimming, maam".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait wait wait hold the loving phone.

Are you seriously telling me that cambridge is built on the river cam?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I know, but they did at least Britain it up a bit by pronouncing the name of the river completely differently to the name of the town.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mostly I am just surprised that this is the first time in my life I have heard that piece of information.

E: while we are on weird place names within this stupid island I recently posted the parish of Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby to the silly names thread and a helpful poster informed me that "ugglebarnby" translates almost perfectly in modern swedish to "owl child village" and given it's in yorkshire I am almost certain that is actually why it's called that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 11, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Govt proposals to change/do away with GDPR:

Commentary here by Mariano delli Santi Legal and Policy Officer
@OpenRightsGroup

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1436307592666624010.html

quote:

1) The UK Government published their plans to water down GDPR. It is bad, incredibly bad. My first reaction on @OpenRightsGroup blog, but if you scratch under the surface it gets even worse. You won't believe how bad it is.

2) First things first, Government purports the new framework as intended to ‘maintain high data protection standards’. Except that, in their consultation they NEVER, EVER touch upon or seek views on how to strengthen protection for individuals.

3) Moving to funnier stuff, the UK new framework manages to scrap data protection in its entirety with one, single blow. It introduces a legal ground to ‘improve services for customers’

4) If you work in data protection, you know that ‘we process your data to improve our services’ is a practical joke, i.e. the single, most abused buzzword the industry uses when they're doing something bad. This will be made legal under UK Government plans.

5) The new framework also wants to introduce fees to exercise data subject access requests. I will spell it you: you will have to pay money to exercise your data rights and access personal data held by *all data controllers*.

6) The UK Government also wants to dictate ICO priorities, and have the power to amend the Information Commissioner's salary without Parliamentary scrutiny. In other words, they want to put the ICO under Government direction.

7) Govt will control the ICO directly, by setting their agenda, and indirectly, by retaining the ability to retaliate against Commissioners who do not please Government, and award Commissioners that do what Government want. We remind you that the ICO is supposed to be a watchdog

8) Also, Government would allow solely automated decision making based on legitimate interest. Organisations will be able to take life-changing decisions about you in a black box, insofar it fits the new legal grounds (such as reporting criminal acts, or improving services)

9) Elizabeth Denham G7 proposal for binding privacy signals lasted very little. This would be too inconvenient for surveillance advertising crooks, and unnecessary: they now have a handy legal ground for processing data and ‘improve customers experience’ (see n. 3,4).

10) Of course, this also means that adtech companies won't need to ask you whether you want to be tracked or not. They don't need it anymore. After displaying bad faith for years, the adtech industry is getting their free-of-jail card.

11) There are other funny stuff, such as the removal of accountability requirements. Organisations will be free to shred the evidence that they did something wrong. In its stead, they will have to organise privacy trainings.

12) Further, data breaches will need be notified only when the risk to individuals is material. No seriously, I don't even feel like commenting on this one.

13) Just to make sure you can't hold a Controller accountable anymore, you will have to demonstrate that you tried to negotiate a solution with the offender before reporting it to the ICO. The ICO was in dire need of another ground to arbitrarily dismiss complaints (sarcasm).

14) Of course, organisations will have to demonstrate they have complaint procedures in place, but we also saw that they have limited need to keep records anyway (see n. 11). What could possibly go wrong?

15) To conclude, Government proposed deregulation of the GDPR confirms an old saying: no good story ever started with someone saying ‘we will cut red tape’.

16) PS: link to Govt consultation below

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/data-a-new-direction

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sewer chat:

If you get to Paris, try and go on a sewer tour

https://www.ontheluce.com/the-underbelly-of-paris-touring-the-sewers/

The description cards on the exhibits are in French but it's mostly fairly simple French (GCSE should see you through).

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As always with Pratchett, heavily based on a real thing. Toshers (which of course he wrote a non-DW book about) were kids who would crawl through the pre-Bazalgette sewers looking for coins and other valuables dropped down there (the post-Bazalgette ones were generally free-flowing enough to make this not a particularly profitable endeavour, although the Metropolitan Board of Works did have to employ guards to stop them erecting nets and dams in the sewers to try and trap stuff).

They were related to (and often the same people as) the mudlarks who would do the same job on the Thames foreshore (amazingly toshing was actually safer than mudlarking on some bits of the Thames - quicksands and a 4-knot tide meant that it was very, very easy to end up dead on the pre-embanked Thames) whereas sewers generally discharged at or above the high tide line so - outside of cholera season - the risk of death by drowning was considerably lower, while the chances of dying because you were rooting around in literal human poo poo was about the same because guess what a lot of that "quicksand" was made of?

When times were hard they'd also turn their hands to nicking off boats on the Thames (including stealing nails, lead caulking and copper anti-fouling sheets off the hulls, rather safer than trying to get onto the boats themselves, although both included not only the drowning and arse-death risks of toshing and mudlarking but also the rather more real risk of the sailors or lightermen kicking the poo poo out of them - the formation of the river police was one of the few times that more police equalled less danger for the poorest people because the plod would at least take them to a magistrate rather than beating them up and chucking them in the river).

You really wouldn't live anywhere else, would you?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

You really wouldn't live anywhere else, would you?

Eh, as my dad was fond of telling me/somehow retroactively threatening me, had life gone a bit different I could have been born in Stevenage (and been called Malcolm), and I'm fairly sure I'd have ended up as ridiculously obsessive about the place, but just not have posted about it as much as I do about London because the stories wouldn't have been as interesting/strange/macabre.

I mean I've got a shitload of stuff in my mental attic about Cornwall, Malta and the Orkneys, where I have a load of family, it's just opportunities to ramble about the Looe Valley, Skara Brae, and Grand Harbour come up much less often.

I've also just realised that of my immediate family out as far as first cousins, only my brother doesn't live within 10 miles of a UNESCO World Heritage Site and I've absolutely no idea what to do with that info and what it might mean.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Eh, as my dad was fond of telling me/somehow retroactively threatening me, had life gone a bit different I could have been born in Stevenage (and been called Malcolm), and I'm fairly sure I'd have ended up as ridiculously obsessive about the place, but just not have posted about it as much as I do about London because the stories wouldn't have been as interesting/strange/macabre.

I mean I've got a shitload of stuff in my mental attic about Cornwall, Malta and the Orkneys, where I have a load of family, it's just opportunities to ramble about the Looe Valley, Skara Brae, and Grand Harbour come up much less often.

I've also just realised that of my immediate family out as far as first cousins, only my brother doesn't live within 10 miles of a UNESCO World Heritage Site and I've absolutely no idea what to do with that info and what it might mean.

Hm... Cornwall - didn't King Arthur and Merlin hang out round there? And wasn't Malta something to do with Knights Hospitaler sort of like the Templars but without the swords, and as for the Orkneys and their ancient burial sites - all very suss and woo woo to me.

Interactive map of world heritage sites.
https://whc.unesco.org/en/interactive-map/

I'm sure if you pick the appropriate level and stare at it long enough you'll see either the signs of the zodiac spread across the planet* or pyramid shapes or ancient electric light bulbs or something which will show what links you all except your brother.

These guys'll sort you out:

*yes, I confess, I watched Ancient Aliens this afternoon and there were these fields with supposedly zodiac symbols spread around them only visible from the air - very fanciful if you ask me! A few random old trees and some wishful thinking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it possible that the UK government was actually controlled by aliens from underneath the ocean?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

Is it possible that the UK government was actually controlled by aliens from underneath the ocean?

Wouldnt it be more competent if it was

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Northern Independence Varty.

speaking of, what happened to NIP? they seem to have just kind of fallen off the face of the earth (by which i mean my twitter feed :v:), the last thing i remember seeing them involved in being some weird twitter drama with another small party (iirc)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

Why would BLUE HADES need to bother with a lousy little island when they already control the oceans?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

The river Derwent’s real name is the river Om, which makes infinitely more sense when the other rivers near it are called things like the Ouse, Don, Ure, Noe, Wye, and so on. Wiki makes up some bollocks about how it’s in a Welsh poem but local historians think at some point, probably Elizabethan, there was a aristocratic ninby who thought “Om” was a bit uncouth.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

learnincurve posted:

The river Derwent’s real name is the river Om, which makes infinitely more sense when the other rivers near it are called things like the Ouse, Don, Ure, Noe, Wye, and so on. Wiki makes up some bollocks about how it’s in a Welsh poem but local historians think at some point, probably Elizabethan, there was a aristocratic ninby who thought “Om” was a bit uncouth.

They should have meditated on the river Om but they Derwent their own way....... i'll see myself out.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Sort of, it's actually more silly than that.

Originally there was the river Granta, and the town was named after it.
Then the town's name shifted over time, becoming Cambridge, so they renamed the river to match.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tindalos posted:

Sort of, it's actually more silly than that.

Originally there was the river Granta, and the town was named after it.
Then the town's name shifted over time, becoming Cambridge, so they renamed the river to match.

Canta, surely? The original name being Cantabrigium.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
History is full of people in charge mistakingly reading G as C, or B as D, and doubling down.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

learnincurve posted:

History is full of people in charge mistakingly reading G as C, or B as D, and doubling down.

Known as the Big->Dic Consonant Shift

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
September 11, Never Forget (September 11th 1297, when William Wallace defeated the English at Stirling Bridge)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hm... Cornwall - didn't King Arthur and Merlin hang out round there? And wasn't Malta something to do with Knights Hospitaler sort of like the Templars but without the swords, and as for the Orkneys and their ancient burial sites - all very suss and woo woo to me.

The Hospitaliers still had the swords, but they didn't go in for quite as much mysticism as the Templars and also had the sense not to start looting Christian cities on the way home from the Crusades, meaning they never got shut down and just sort of hung out in the Med for centuries until someone finally twigged a natural harbour with massive fortifications more or less slap-bang in the middle of the Mediterranean was actually a pretty useful thing and just walked in and took it.

The Knights aren't the most interesting thing about Malta though - the most interesting thing about Malta is that elephants and camels managed to make it across to there in the Messinian Salinity Crisis, when the Med partially or wholly evaporated (which is also interesting because the area would have been an utter hellscape and crossing it on foot would have been almost as difficult as crossing it by swimming) and then when the waters rose again, the mechanism known as island dwarfism - where animals confined to a small island evolve to be smaller to more efficiently use limited resources - meant that by the time the first humans got there by boat (and built the temples on Malta that are way, way older than Skara Brae) the place was inhabited by camels and elephants about the size of large dogs or small ponies, which must have been absolutely adorable, except my great*-uncles slaughtered them all for food within a generation or two.

I want to reiterate this - we could have had pet elephants small enough to live in our homes (although maybe not sit on our laps, they weighed about 300 kilos), but we wiped them all out, and frankly anything nature does to humanity from this point on is richly deserved.