Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
DS2 does some things the best out of all FromSoft's games. But it also does many things the worst out of their entire catalog. Truly, Drangleic is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Still lol at little forest bit between Archives and crystal caves which looks like a PS2 game

All of the forest areas are very ugly in my opinion. The whole of Darkroot Garden/Basin looks terrible.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

VideoGames posted:

So many people are down on DS2 so I think it is the more prevalent opinion, so that I understand even if I do not agree.

Calling Bloodborne unfun when you like DS3 and Sekiro is what confuses me more. That I am trying to understand and I cannot. What is it about bloodborne you think is unfun?

There were a bunch of small things that added up, I guess? The healing mechanic is terrible (only Demon's Souls' is worse), the game lags even on the PS5 (I assume it's the 30 fps thing), the difficulty is very uneven (everything except the DLC bosses and the later Chalice Dungeons is relatively easy, while those are really hard), the side-quest NPCs are less interesting, the weapon upgrades and builds feel more limited, etc., etc.

If I had to point to one major thing I didn't like it's that in every other From Software game I felt like I was getting better as I kept playing, but in Bloodborne that never happened. Every boss fight was either too easy or I just got lucky dodging a bunch of flailing moves I could barely see. Incidentally, Bloodborne is the only Souls-like where I could not reliably avoid attacks even after I had built up the correct muscle memory. None of the areas were memorably difficult, the way something like Blighttown or The Ritual Path were, so the main challenge was not getting lost.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

acyclicity posted:

There were a bunch of small things that added up, I guess? The healing mechanic is terrible (only Demon's Souls' is worse), the game lags even on the PS5 (I assume it's the 30 fps thing), the difficulty is very uneven (everything except the DLC bosses and the later Chalice Dungeons is relatively easy, while those are really hard), the side-quest NPCs are less interesting, the weapon upgrades and builds feel more limited, etc., etc.

If I had to point to one major thing I didn't like it's that in every other From Software game I felt like I was getting better as I kept playing, but in Bloodborne that never happened. Every boss fight was either too easy or I just got lucky dodging a bunch of flailing moves I could barely see. Incidentally, Bloodborne is the only Souls-like where I could not reliably avoid attacks even after I had built up the correct muscle memory. None of the areas were memorably difficult, the way something like Blighttown or The Ritual Path were, so the main challenge was not getting lost.

Thank you for explaining. I am not able to quite see it from your point of view. I did not have the same experiences at all, but I get why you would dislike it compared to DS3 and Sekiro :)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

JBP posted:

Similar position for me. I much prefer BB and Sekiro to the DS games.

I'm a freak, I loving love dark souls 3

Its one of the best coop games ever with a full party, despite all the weird multi bullshit.
Me and my friends have played it thru together like 4 times

Sekiro and bloodborne are better games but none of my friends own a ps4 and Sekiro is no friends allowed

E I never got into dark souls 2 because SotFS is just waaaaay too hard. Every zone is like a challenge zone with a million enemies, then the bosses are easy
I tried to coop it with my friend who claims to have beaten OG ds2 and he couldn't even get to the part we can coop.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 10, 2021

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Scholar felt designed to troll players of the original DS2, and as one of those people I appreciated it. My friend who came into SotFS as his first Souls game? Much less so.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
DS2 sotfs is my favourite of the DS trilogy. I played it first a few months ago and loved what it was doing. DS1 was good. DS3 has the best combat of all three and feels almost as fast as bloodborne. Just a wonderful fantastic series :D

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's real fun to play a faith build in DS3 with pals, aoe healing and poison purging are so useful

Plus you can grab the lothric Knight greatsword and be blasting bosses too. Though imo if you're going UGS you want one with a charged stab instead of a swing cause it knock downs humanoids, so you can chain stunlock even Havel with ease

Id like a bit more pvp though, it's always lopsided against the invaders until lothric, though it makes you appreciate it more when a red phantom is making your whole party suffer in catacombs or whatnot

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I need someone more eloquent than me to explain why the DS2 combat feels so off. It just feels kinda floaty and weird

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Grayshift posted:

DS2 does some things the best out of all FromSoft's games. But it also does many things the worst out of their entire catalog. Truly, Drangleic is a land of contrasts.

Ya, DS2 has some areas that are so fun but the game is super bloated imo, way too many areas, repeated bosses. I do think the DLC is amazing, if the main game was as consistent as the dlc it would be one of the best.

VideoGames posted:

DS2 sotfs is my favourite of the DS trilogy. I played it first a few months ago and loved what it was doing. DS1 was good. DS3 has the best combat of all three and feels almost as fast as bloodborne. Just a wonderful fantastic series :D

Ya I went into it thinking it was poo poo because it's considered the worst DS game but apparently the worst DS game is still absolutely awesome. Albeit I played it before DS3 came out, the online community was still active and the balance imo was much better than DS1 for online.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
I'm not actually sure what the precise differences are between SofFS and vanilla DS2 (I've only played the former). All I remember is watching someone play through Iron Keep in vanilla, and it looked way easier because there wasn't a horde of Alonne Knights following him everywhere.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I don't get the complaints at all about DS2 sotfs but then again that was the game I started with. It's my least favorite of the 5 but it's still pretty good. Going back to it after replaying the others I don't feel it's more difficult.

I did spend the first 2 hours running into heides tower of flame and getting owned by the bullshit mace knight though. I knew souls was supposed to be hard so I figured I had to get good.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
To me, SotFS Iron Keep is the intermission of the game where you just put on some music or something and farm it until it's empty.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The best part of Iron Keep is those first few knights that sprint at you from waaaaaay on the other side of the castle

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

acyclicity posted:

I'm not actually sure what the precise differences are between SofFS and vanilla DS2 (I've only played the former). All I remember is watching someone play through Iron Keep in vanilla, and it looked way easier because there wasn't a horde of Alonne Knights following him everywhere.

There’s loads of small changes. They added a bunch of statues. The ruin sentinels weren’t blocked by a statue in the original so the “normal” progression through Bastille was different. Same in Dragon Aerie and Tseldora. The dull ember used to be in Iron Keep not Bastille so it was mildly harder to get infused weapons. There was no shortcut bridge to kick down in Wharf, that was a long rear end runback in vanilla. There weren’t Heide knights all over Heide nor was there a dragon blocking nega-Ornstein. No ogre in the river at the start of Forest. There were no pursuers in Bastille, just the two locations in Forest, one in Iron Keep, and the NG+ one in the castle. There weren’t any invisible guys in the ruins part of Shaded Woods, just the lion men, and there weren’t any falconers either. Dragon Shrine didn’t have the non-aggressive/honorable dragon men. Forlorn invaders were a new addition, bunch of other new invaders too. Bunch of items got moved around (most memorable one for me, you can now get Grand Lance really early but in vanilla it was only available in the giant memories way at the end). Sublime bone dusts are now found in chests guarded by Syan knights where they used to be scattered around. Also Aldia himself obviously.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i only played through the vanilla version of dark souls 2 and the first expansion and i've never felt like i missed out on much not going through the other two expansions or giving scholar of the first sin a try

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

huh posted:

Also apparently there will be gameplay footage on Friday (US time presumably).

So is this happening today? What's the source on this?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cowcaster posted:

i only played through the vanilla version of dark souls 2 and the first expansion and i've never felt like i missed out on much not going through the other two expansions or giving scholar of the first sin a try

The other two expansions are pretty good and worth playing imo. But the base game can be exhausting

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm playing it right now, and folks, it's a direct sequel to dark souls 2

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:mbisonyes:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They already trolled me with DS2, I preordered the drat loser collectors edition direct from Namco Bandai, when it got here UPS wanted me to pay some ludicrous charge because the invoice they had showed the game and the bundled collectors poo poo as separate line items both at the full price of the game, so it was like 220 instead of 110 or whatever it was. So I was like nope, and they couldn't do poo poo for me, Namco's store support couldn't do poo poo for me, I never did get the game or my money back. At least that straightened me out and I had an epiphany re: the folly of buying physical games post-digital storefronts.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My prayers answered.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

VideoGames posted:

Same here. DS2 hit this sweet spot for me. Felt like the right amount of bullshit From Software shenanigans.

Also:

A) FEEBLE CURSED ONE!
B) Limited healing in PvP
C) Old Ivory Kings entrance/lead up to him

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

DS2 has some of my fav environments, (the misty forest with the lionmen, majula obv, tower of flame) but DS2, and to a much greater extent SOTFS fumble enemy placement compared to DS1 so much that i basically never want to replay them.

DS1 (aside from izalith) has pretty precise enemy placement and design where the challenge comes from line of sight and timing. Due to this even a late game encounter with 3 unarmored hollows can be a threat.

Whereas DS2 it always feels like they just threw down 20 knights in a square room for each encounter.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

codo27 posted:

They already trolled me with DS2, I preordered the drat loser collectors edition direct from Namco Bandai, when it got here UPS wanted me to pay some ludicrous charge because the invoice they had showed the game and the bundled collectors poo poo as separate line items both at the full price of the game, so it was like 220 instead of 110 or whatever it was. So I was like nope, and they couldn't do poo poo for me, Namco's store support couldn't do poo poo for me, I never did get the game or my money back. At least that straightened me out and I had an epiphany re: the folly of buying physical games post-digital storefronts.

Why did UPS care what was on the invoice? Does namco ship COD?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Colonel Whitey posted:

Reddit speculation based on:

a) footage existing with journalists
b) bandai namco updating a bunch of things very recently
c) a guy named geoff that tweeted something will happen on Friday
d) there is some sony event happening on Friday

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Laughing pots = best thing about DS2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

Been going over Sekiro and Bloodborne in my mind these last few days. I think....I might like Sekiro the very most.

:eyepop:

veegy, you are too hardcore :black101: it's off the scale

VideoGames posted:

Calling Bloodborne unfun when you like DS3 and Sekiro is what confuses me more. That I am trying to understand and I cannot.

Yeah, that opinion is like a giant eyeball that makes my head explode.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

marshmallow creep posted:

Scholar felt designed to troll players of the original DS2, and as one of those people I appreciated it. My friend who came into SotFS as his first Souls game? Much less so.

DS2 is where it "clicked" for me. I got as far as Rom in Bloodborne and quit, I bought DS3 on release but kept putting it off and picked up DS2:SotFS on sale and it all fell into place that these are RPGs. I think all the (kind of inflated and mastabatory) discussion of difficulty made me thing these were all supposed to be hardcore character twitchy action games and I tried to play Bloodborne (which the parrying and dodging kind of allows) like that and brute-forced my way about 60% through, but something about the setting and pace of SotFS made it all click and Bloodborne and DS3 became fun after that, just in time for DS Remastered to come out.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

huh posted:

Reddit speculation based on:

d) there is some sony event happening on Friday

Are you talking about Playstation Showcase? Because that happened yesterday. And no Elden Ring was shown ☹️

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

DS2 is where it "clicked" for me. I got as far as Rom in Bloodborne and quit, I bought DS3 on release but kept putting it off and picked up DS2:SotFS on sale and it all fell into place that these are RPGs. I think all the (kind of inflated and mastabatory) discussion of difficulty made me thing these were all supposed to be hardcore character twitchy action games and I tried to play Bloodborne (which the parrying and dodging kind of allows) like that and brute-forced my way about 60% through, but something about the setting and pace of SotFS made it all click and Bloodborne and DS3 became fun after that, just in time for DS Remastered to come out.

I think one of the biggest hurdles for players now is the perceived, and imo extremely masturbatory, difficulty persona that these games have. It's what prevented most of my friends from picking the games up until recently. While these are pretty obviously games that make you feel a huge sense of relief upon finishing certain parts, it's also pretty frustrating to see people going on long rants/reviews that amount to them patting themselves on the back for doing the least.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This ring is gonna be pretty fuckin' elden by the time it arrives, boy howdy

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Xenolalia posted:

DS1 (aside from izalith) has pretty precise enemy placement and design where the challenge comes from line of sight and timing. Due to this even a late game encounter with 3 unarmored hollows can be a threat.

Whereas DS2 it always feels like they just threw down 20 knights in a square room for each encounter.

DS1 is the only game that actually meets this exaggeration (and repeatedly at that), and its the only game thats brought up as the counterexample

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lovingly arranging my dragon asses in the lava lake in lore-friendly positions

using my 600 IQ brain to place mini-taurus and capra demons in the ruins in the exact number and positions to create highly tuned, memorable encounters

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

And the furtive painting guardian, so easily forgotten

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Control Volume posted:

And the furtive painting guardian, so easily forgotten

Painting guardians aren't great but they're still better than like all of harvest valley thru iron keep.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lets be fair about dark souls: It was worse than its predecessor. It has floatier, jankier animations, several areas where they just cram a dozen enemies into an open area, resistance (need I say more??), horrible weapon upgrade mechanics (way worse than demon souls where upgrades were carefully thoujgt out), and the bosses are all unmemorable dudes in armor, or poor design like the capra demon.

Demon souls depended on tight enemy placement and made evne the lowliest enemy scary, but dark souls cant even get to the first area without making you fight half a dozen hollows on a single staircase..... PLUS it gates the warp mechanic until halfway into the game when demon souls had a fully fleshed out teleport system?? wtf FROMSOFT??

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I thought dark souls 1 was a pretty dull game but I played it after all the later games so that probably colored my perception a bit

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Dark Souls 1 at least kept that gameplay loop of booting up the game and deciding where you want to go next depending on what advantage you want to obtain first. It's been absent from their games since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
DS3 is the best game in the trilogy and it isn't even close

"but progression through the different areas of the game is so much more freeform in DS1!"

who cares, none of that means anything if the core gameplay feels like wading through molasses by comparison. DS3 isn't even actually very fast by action game standards, it just achieves a reasonable minimum. plus imagine playing dark souls with no diagonal rolling. disgusting

the one good/important thing the original game had going for it was fewer restrictions on invasions and the remake did away with that and retroactively made it work exactly like DS3 instead anyways lol