Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MakaVillian posted:

That particular Rebel Media person was somewhat clever and based his "question" on one of theme's Paul was harping on all night (same old parties, same old ideas) and I don't think she could resist taking the bait.

It definitely was a clever one in comparison to the Singh and Blanchet questions which were just "gently caress you you loving fuckers gently caress off". The fact that she didn't immediately tune out when the operator announced that it was Rebel News doesn't speak well to her judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

MagicCube posted:

The border just opened on Tuesday to fully vaccinated travelers of all nationalities. They also need to provide a negative PCR test from up to 72 hours before travel. With those two things they don't need to quarantine.

I believe the flight ban from India is scheduled to end on September 21 too. Do agree it's kind of dumb that it's been still in effect since their case rate has been pretty stable for the last ~2 months.

In terms of new cases per day as a percentage of their population, England right now has twice as much COVID as India did at its peak. So, uh, why are they allowed to fly here?

1.4% of their goddamn country has COVID right now! I don't care if the travelers are vaxxed, if you're on a plane with 200 people, chances are someone there has it and it would be very easy to spread it on a flight even if you are vaxxed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jimbozig posted:

In terms of new cases per day as a percentage of their population, England right now has twice as much COVID as India did at its peak. So, uh, why are they allowed to fly here?

they're white

obviously not all Britons are, but racism is 100% why Indians can't fly here

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Arc Hammer posted:

The fact that she didn't immediately tune out when the operator announced that it was Rebel News doesn't speak well to her judgement.

This cross-party agreement to ignore everyone from Rebel News is just weird theatre, good for Paul to not unthinkingly go along with it. She doesn't have to answer and doesn't have to call on anyone in particular, but listening to a question while on the campaign trail is pretty far down the list of "dumb things Annamie Paul has done recently".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sorry I don't think fascists and racist trolls should have a platform.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Jimbozig posted:

1.4% of their goddamn country has COVID right now! I don't care if the travelers are vaxxed, if you're on a plane with 200 people, chances are someone there has it and it would be very easy to spread it on a flight even if you are vaxxed.

i just flew from london to vancouver and you can't even board a plane without proof of vaccination and a negative molecular/pcr test less than 72 hours old

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

pokeyman posted:

This cross-party agreement to ignore everyone from Rebel News is just weird theatre, good for Paul to not unthinkingly go along with it. She doesn't have to answer and doesn't have to call on anyone in particular, but listening to a question while on the campaign trail is pretty far down the list of "dumb things Annamie Paul has done recently".

Yeah no.

Especially since Rebel News a. Is actively harmful, b. By their own admission not journalists and c. Two ignored, Trudeau called them out for being poo poo.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol, Shandro says thr UCP wants to see the effect of the new health orders before they add any new ones.

Which means things in Alberta are going to get far far worse before the UCP takes another step. Reactive morons the lot of them.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol, Shandro says thr UCP wants to see the effect of the new health orders before they add any new ones.

Which means things in Alberta are going to get far far worse before the UCP takes another step. Reactive morons the lot of them.

I really dont understand whats going on in Alberta any more. At first I thought malice, then I assumed that it was just plain stupidity, but everyone seems to hate everyone in that place right now and I have no idea how the gently caress any of that gets fixed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hanlon's Swiss army knife.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
It would seem that all of Québec's systemic racism is still being stored in the balls of Yves-François "The Splits" Blanchet:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

I really dont understand whats going on in Alberta any more. At first I thought malice, then I assumed that it was just plain stupidity, but everyone seems to hate everyone in that place right now and I have no idea how the gently caress any of that gets fixed.

It's honestly not that bad in person. I mean, the response has been completely hosed but 95% of people I've talked to personally are strongly pro-vaxx and do not bitch about restrictions, something like 77% of people favour a vaccine passport, etc.. If you don't surround yourself with loving morons, you won't find morons.

The political response is completely hosed because the UCP relies on having the lunatics on their side, so they've artfully constructed a situation where every single person in the province is furious with them on some level -- to the point that Rachel Notley retweeted a Sun columnist approvingly a few times this week -- because doing otherwise will fracture the caucus and lead to them loving back off out of power. That, far more than COVID, is what Kenney is concerned about.

Alberta politics is far weirder than the average experience of living here. I can't explain why, it just is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Furnaceface posted:

The short answer is that belief in covid restrictions absolutely correlates with political alignment. This is partly self positioning by conservative parties but that is the reality.

And in Alberta the UCP is absolutely dependent on the far right wing of the party, who are already making noise about defecting to a Wildrose 2.0. They are absolutely willing to gamble that the urban population that's crying out for actions are all NDP voters already.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah no.

Especially since Rebel News a. Is actively harmful, b. By their own admission not journalists and c. Two ignored, Trudeau called them out for being poo poo.

How is calling them out not giving them a platform? It's a cheap performance. Decline and move on if you like, or engage if you like, it's not some huge misstep.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

PittTheElder posted:

What the gently caress is even the difference between those things, aside from ease of counterfeiting I guess?

To be honest, the BC one is just a screenshot of a webpage with a QR code on it. The procedure for checking it is to scan the QR code for the info in it (name, DoB, vaccine dates/batch/etc), and then compare with a piece of ID.

There's no way to verify the information in the QR code, and it's not exactly difficult to make a fake one.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

It would seem that all of Québec's systemic racism is still being stored in the balls of Yves-François "The Splits" Blanchet:

He’s breathing deeply to focus before the debate.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Rebel was already platformed by the debate. Answering a question, telling them to piss off or asking who farted is just theatre.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

To be honest, the BC one is just a screenshot of a webpage with a QR code on it. The procedure for checking it is to scan the QR code for the info in it (name, DoB, vaccine dates/batch/etc), and then compare with a piece of ID.

There's no way to verify the information in the QR code, and it's not exactly difficult to make a fake one.

I have no idea how easy forgery theoretically is, but for what it’s worth this isn’t quite true. BC is using the SMART Health Card QR code format, not just generic “QR” so it’s a little harder to generate. Cross-quoting:

CLAM DOWN posted:

it's actually this kind of QR code: https://smarthealth.cards/

SDK if you're a turbonerd and want to read it: https://github.com/smart-on-fhir/health-cards

It's not a "normal" QR code readable by any phone camera by default

Businesses also have a specific app to scan this, you can’t just scan it with your phone camera. (My attempt to scan one with an iPhone took me to Apple’s Health app, I don’t know what would happen with a different phone.)

https://twitter.com/adriandix/status/1436421851161321472

Will someone spin up a site to start offering fake ones? Who knows. But they at least went a little further than slapping together something you could generate in ten seconds.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

kaom posted:

I have no idea how easy forgery theoretically is, but for what it’s worth this isn’t quite true. BC is using the SMART Health Card QR code format, not just generic “QR” so it’s a little harder to generate. Cross-quoting:

Businesses also have a specific app to scan this, you can’t just scan it with your phone camera. (My attempt to scan one with an iPhone took me to Apple’s Health app, I don’t know what would happen with a different phone.)

https://twitter.com/adriandix/status/1436421851161321472

Will someone spin up a site to start offering fake ones? Who knows. But they at least went a little further than slapping together something you could generate in ten seconds.

Not an expert but skimming through the documentation, it looks like the QR code includes immunization info plus a signature that can be used (e.g. by an app) to validate that the info was indeed generated by a given issuer (e.g. clinic, health authority). If it's set up right, forging one should fail that validation step. And comparing the info with the identification you also provide should prevent you from using someone else's legit QR code.

In practice, when validation fails, maybe the person taking your concert ticket just waves you through because "it does that sometimes", or maybe they turn you around.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Well that's good. I'm glad it's not just a "scan it with your QR app" situation.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Sorry for the likely basic Canadian politics question.

With the most likely outcome of the election being no majority again, why don’t we see coalition governments in Canada? I get that in a “Liberal plurality but no majority” situation, the CPC would be unlikely to find a coalition partner, but is there any reason for there to be a CPC government with the confidence of parliament outside of a Conservative majority situation?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well that's good. I'm glad it's not just a "scan it with your QR app" situation.

Manitoba's verification app also validates with the health authority. I've found a lot of overlap with people who will tell you how "dead simple it is to fake a card" and people who are generally anti-vax, because it wouldn't actually be that simple, especially for your average person whose netsec knowledge doesn't reach past "I saved my CBC comment section password in Internet Explorer" PPC voter.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Halisnacks posted:

Sorry for the likely basic Canadian politics question.

With the most likely outcome of the election being no majority again, why don’t we see coalition governments in Canada? I get that in a “Liberal plurality but no majority” situation, the CPC would be unlikely to find a coalition partner, but is there any reason for there to be a CPC government with the confidence of parliament outside of a Conservative majority situation?

It happened with a Harper minority. Iirc the conservatives took out ads basically calling coalitions undemocratic. And also the liberals would rather conservatives govern, than compromise with the NDP.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

InfiniteZero posted:

Manitoba's verification app also validates with the health authority. I've found a lot of overlap with people who will tell you how "dead simple it is to fake a card" and people who are generally anti-vax, because it wouldn't actually be that simple, especially for your average person whose netsec knowledge doesn't reach past "I saved my CBC comment section password in Internet Explorer" PPC voter.

Well, it depends on the implementation of the verification. Digitally, it's quite easy, but what's been happening up to this point is "you print a PDF that you can trivially edit and show that." That's obviously very easy to spoof, which is why it's not sufficient for a verification scheme and we need something digital like the signed QR codes or based on a hard-to-duplicate card like a driver's license.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Forging something that uses public / private key cryptography is completely impossible with our current understanding of technology, and like 90% of the internet would break if it could be compromised.

That of course assumes that people actually pay attention when the app tells them a code is invalid.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enki42 posted:

Forging something that uses public / private key cryptography is completely impossible with our current understanding of technology, and like 90% of the internet would break if it could be compromised.

That of course assumes that people actually pay attention when the app tells them a code is invalid.

Agreed, but I haven’t seen anyone talking about that sort of forgery; rather, the demonstrated forgery of the unsigned PDFs that we’ve been told to use in lieu of an actual cryptographic signing scheme.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Calumanjaro posted:

It happened with a Harper minority. Iirc the conservatives took out ads basically calling coalitions undemocratic. And also the liberals would rather conservatives govern, than compromise with the NDP.

There’s an additional confounding factor with that one. While the Bloc signed that they would support the Liberal-NDP coalition, they would not be part of the coalition themselves. Being an actual part of the coalition would’ve involved, on their interpretation, ceding that Quebec was merely a province within Canada. Without the BQ the actual proposed coalition fell short of a majority.

(Jean still shouldn’t have allowed the proroguement.)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

enki42 posted:

There are a few ways to bypass it if the implementation is bad, such as side channel attacks to leak key bits, weak key sizes, blindly signing data passed in by the client, or server compromises leaking the key entirely, assuming they aren’t using an HSM. (Although depending on the HSM that might not be particularly secure itself, it’s at least another step to leak the keys and anything you signed without compromising the HSM should end up being logged) Hopefully they’ve covered all this stuff and more, and knowing who I know there I suspect they’ve at least tried.

The second option you mention is certainly the more likely attack scenario for someone without much technical knowledge, but I’m sure there are more than a few people out there that will try to attack the server for various reasons. If the app itself has a vulnerability with parsing the QR codes or something that’s easy to fix as long as it doesn’t contain the private key or something silly.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

enki42 posted:

Yes, I've been on several forums where people have attacked the passports as being useless, whether out of ignorance or malice.
As Evis has mentioned, even 4096-bit RSA has been cracked, but it requires very specialized attacks and I'm doubtful that it will happen in this case.

So to be clear for anyone who is unaware:

The data in the QR code is passed through an algorithm in combination with a public and private key to generate a signature which is attached to the data.
Anyone with the public key can read the data and verify the signature matches the data (i.e. the verifier app does this)
If you do not have the private key, you cannot create or edit the data because you will not be able to generate a matching signature.

For most practical cases it is unforgable.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Did my vote early.

Surprised at just how few election signs I saw on my walk compared to last election.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Straight RSA 4096 hasn’t been cracked directly, though any size key could be leaked indirectly through other attacks. You have to go down to RSA with an 829 bit key to hit the most recent record for factorization. (reference from 2020 that took 2700 core years) Even RSA 2048 is quite safe for now, though 3072 and up is I think the recommendation if you need security for many years down the line, which is certainly not the case here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Voted today. Got that poo poo over with as soon as I could.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Calumanjaro posted:

Coalitions have to have a majority of seats to work. That one didn't.

I absolutely do not buy that any politician would rather someone else be prime minister than themselves out of spite.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only way I could see a coalition government as a realistic scenario is if we had more parties to split the vote and prevent major parties from forming.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The socialist-separatist coalition will rise again someday, my friends.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

linoleum floors posted:

Coalitions have to have a majority of seats to work. That one didn't.

I absolutely do not buy that any politician would rather someone else be prime minister than themselves out of spite.

Change 'Prime Minister' with 'Premier' and you have the last Ontario election.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Ego-bot posted:

Change 'Prime Minister' with 'Premier' and you have the last Ontario election.

The hell are you babbling about?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Arc Hammer posted:

The only way I could see a coalition government as a realistic scenario is if we had more parties to split the vote and prevent major parties from forming.

This makes no sense at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

RBC posted:

The hell are you babbling about?

The Ontario Liberals went on the attack against the NDP at the end of the last provincial election when it became clear they wouldn't beat the Conservatives.