Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wandler20 posted:

So goons, if you were building a house, what would be some must have things you would include. Realistically speaking.

centralized networking closet. oversized air handler. kitchen extractor fan. data ports in the ceiling for wifi access points. solid core doors lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

wandler20 posted:

So goons, if you were building a house, what would be some must have things you would include. Realistically speaking.

If I'd have known how much I'd come to hate it, I would have never put carpet in any room of my house from the get go. I can't think of anything other than I would have had a couple of extra courses of block done below grade so that my finished basement would have higher ceilings.

This question was harder for me to answer than it probably is for people who don't have the ability to change finishes or move walls or whatever at their whims

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Eliminate hallways, they are always wasted internal square footage.
I live in california and wish I had a basement, they don't do them here, so I'll add a basement (with good access from outside, like, big enough to get equipment through)
I want a walk-in pantry with independent climate control. Basically everything that says "store in a cool dry place" I want that cool dry place.
Separate workshop from the garage
Workshop and garage should be insulated and ventilated with climate control
Backyard/garden area wants an outdoor sink with hot & cold water, work area for doing stuff with plants, plus a patio area with a spot for a grill that keeps the grill out of the weather but still handles smoke well. Also a fire pit and lounging zone around it.
No lawn. I want natural landscaping with native plants, and in-ground irrigation for the limited amount of water they'll need.
Outdoor outlets all the way around the house so I can reasonably use all-electric tools without having to rely on batteries
Usable attic space, for safe storage, including lighting
Secret passage, and a secret room. Not for hiding from burglars or something, that's paranoid poo poo, I just want a cool secret space in the house.
LR has good acoustics for surround-sound home theater, but the big TV should be hide-able and the speakers unobtrusive so our guests don't feel like they just walked into a "man cave"
Small office room at maximum feasible distance from the high-usage loud rooms like the LR and kitchen
Higher ceilings in the front area of the house (LR, DR if it has one, maybe kitchen) but no need for high ceilings in the BRs because that's just not cozy and it's a waste of space that should be in the attic.
Entryway/mud room type arrangement at the front door, e.g. some sort of place to sit and remove muddy or wet stuff that isn't literally in the living room
Safe roof access, such as via a dormer would be nice
Covered rain gutters

Probably most important more than any of the above: architectural consistency. I want a house that looks like it was designed by someone who gives a poo poo about design, and isn't just a cobbled-together list of features and glued-on bullshit. Like, for example, if it has shutters, they should be functional and close over the windows, not some sort of vestigal nonsense. If you've read McMansion Hell blogs, you'll know what I mean. I don't even mind particularly if it's Craftsman or Cape Cod or whatever, just make it that thing honestly and completely, whatever it is, not some cheap-rear end faxsimilie of that thing if you don't actually understand architecture.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

wandler20 posted:

If you are in a place with real winters, in floor heating if it's in your budget
A cubby/section of the kitchen counter specifically for coffee and tea
A sunroom

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This is me personally, but I would have a three tap system with the refrigerator underneath a counter. One tap would be soemthing none alcoholic like root beer, the other two whatever i liked. I would also have a water line with one of those cup rinsers where you push down on it and it rinses the cup.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
We live in a post-irony world.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/status/1436366539779973124

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
If budget/practicality/responsibility isn’t a question, my dream house is getting filled to the brim with hidden passages, secret rooms, all the crazy poo poo from tv and movies that never translate to reality. I don’t even want them to use, my plan is to seal them up and never mention it again, make for a completely rad adventure for whatever kids live here a couple decades after my tragic and gruesome demise!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

wandler20 posted:

Have a couple NEMA 14-50 outlets run out to the garage (or a 100a sub-panel) for future electric cars. Easier to do now than after the fact.

Touch faucets are a gimmick and you will hate them.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

wandler20 posted:

A library/office, leaning more toward the former. If I ever have my own place with a spare bedroom, I’d do that without hesitation. I spent last weekend building a pair of Billy shelves from IKEA and they make me wish I had room for like 2-3 more (Or to get something nicer but also with adjustable shelves, but these worked out great so far) so I could get all my stuff in one area and properly organized.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

huge built in wall shelves as someone who owns way too many boardgames.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Oh, windows windows windows. Natural light best light, the more the better! Or if there’s a more energy efficient or whatever design that still allows for maximum natural light while not being covered in glass, whatever works.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
One of those apartments where your front door is the elevator.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

Braks mentioned some of ours, we made sure we ran both Cat5e (it was 2003) and RG6 to every room (with multiple drops), multiple power outlets in every room, even more in the living room where you plug a lot of devices in. Complete overkill but we've used them. Hell, we put Cat5e outside for one network drop just in case. Never used that one but it's there. We also ran speaker wire to every room but I've never hooked it up either.

Biggest thing we did was insulate the hell out of the house. Cellulose with R-40 values in the attic, R-30 fiberglass for the walls outside, R-19 inside. Get as much insulation as you can afford now and your heating/cooling bills will thank you later.

What I would do now that I didn't do then: finish the attic enough to where I could walk around comfortably instead of stepping on random pieces of wood and the braces to get around, install a big shower that could fit 2 instead of the bathtub, and put an electrical car charging port outside in the garage.

Edit: If you use natural gas, think of putting an access for it outside in case you want to use it for a grill.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Curious why so many of you want data drops everywhere. With mesh wifi being so good I don't see the need personally.

Our place just got enclosed so now I'm in the don't forget something before the interior walls get enclosed stage. I wish an outdoor sink was more feasible but ND winters would make it a pain.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
You guys can't put me up against the wall. I'm just sitting here tossing my hands up like dudes, these things I would gladly do for you

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

Curious why so many of you want data drops everywhere. With mesh wifi being so good I don't see the need personally.

Our place just got enclosed so now I'm in the don't forget something before the interior walls get enclosed stage. I wish an outdoor sink was more feasible but ND winters would make it a pain.

Wired ethernet is always faster and less possibility of interference, but considering that cable is cheap and it could be used as a selling point, it's just easy to get it done when building. Plus you could hook up consoles, routers, other things in rooms where WiFi may not work very well if something's blocking it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The key thing is to run conduit that will be easy to fish through, so you can use ethernet, or whatever might come up in the future that replaces it, if wifi never quite eclipses wired for speed and reliability.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Silly Burrito posted:

Braks mentioned some of ours, we made sure we ran both Cat5e (it was 2003) and RG6 to every room (with multiple drops), multiple power outlets in every room, even more in the living room where you plug a lot of devices in. Complete overkill but we've used them. Hell, we put Cat5e outside for one network drop just in case. Never used that one but it's there. We also ran speaker wire to every room but I've never hooked it up either.

Biggest thing we did was insulate the hell out of the house. Cellulose with R-40 values in the attic, R-30 fiberglass for the walls outside, R-19 inside. Get as much insulation as you can afford now and your heating/cooling bills will thank you later.

What I would do now that I didn't do then: finish the attic enough to where I could walk around comfortably instead of stepping on random pieces of wood and the braces to get around, install a big shower that could fit 2 instead of the bathtub, and put an electrical car charging port outside in the garage.

Edit: If you use natural gas, think of putting an access for it outside in case you want to use it for a grill.

Insulation between floors would be one for me, but in MN (and ND) that external insulation is required, not a luxury. I'd gladly pay a bit more for better sound dampening between floors.

What I really wish was more common is a whole house exhaust fan. Something tied into the HVAC that could pull air through the returns and dump it outside. It would be great when it's hot during the day but cool at night or when a front comes through after a heat wave to open the windows and flip a switch that would pull all that cool air in.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
No one's gonna say load bearing drywall I guess

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Insulation between floors would be one for me, but in MN (and ND) that external insulation is required, not a luxury. I'd gladly pay a bit more for better sound dampening between floors.

What I really wish was more common is a whole house exhaust fan. Something tied into the HVAC that could pull air through the returns and dump it outside. It would be great when it's hot during the day but cool at night or when a front comes through after a heat wave to open the windows and flip a switch that would pull all that cool air in.

Oooh, yeah I'd love one, but I also want to filter the air intake so it's just just tryign to suck air in through the gaps around doors and stuff (because ideally I'd have a good sealed house envelope). We have so many smoke days every year now that I think a controllable set of air inlets with microfiltration is a good idea.

What do people think of whole-house vacuum? Not really worth it?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

As someone who is renting and can hear the upstairs neighbor's cat meow: more sound insulation between floors.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If I was designing a home I'd have a bigger stove and oven, having a small one sucks. I'd also have a high volume shower head because having a water saving one is just dumb and bad. Having a walk in closet and an ensuite is just the best too.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
One thing we did I'm excited for is laundry on both floors. Ours is in our master closet and the kids upstairs have another set. Not dragging laundry up and down stairs.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Oooh, yeah I'd love one, but I also want to filter the air intake so it's just just tryign to suck air in through the gaps around doors and stuff (because ideally I'd have a good sealed house envelope). We have so many smoke days every year now that I think a controllable set of air inlets with microfiltration is a good idea.

What do people think of whole-house vacuum? Not really worth it?

we have something like that with an evaporative cooler and the fan blows air into the house that gets exhausted thru the attic by way of ceiling vents that get opened via the air pressure

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wandler20 posted:

i think people wanted smart home poo poo and servers and the smart ethernet phones and that just got replaced by wireless stuff. i think the happy medium is a dedicated closet for neatly done and labeled wiring with your modem/network storage and then wifi points in the ceiling

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is super basic, but having an island in our kitchen has been borderline lifechanging compared to our last place. Extra countertop space for cooking, extra cabinet space for kitchen stuff. While we were house-shopping we also saw a place that had a kitchen vent going up and out of the house which I would have loved to have here.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
You know how some people obsess over the British royals and like who the various princes date and marry and such. I think I am like that now but with Andrew WK and Kat Dennings. I have never felt so strongly and happily about a celebrity couple before. Every time they pop up on my timeline I am just like "awww good for them, they are having so much fun".

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

wandler20 posted:

Our apartment walls are so janky that despite having good gear and gigabyte service we have near deadzones in a two bedroom apartment. So gently caress trying to work on wifi I'll be tethered until I die baby.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
A sloan valve, so no poop I ever take will plug up my toilet

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

You know how some people obsess over the British royals and like who the various princes date and marry and such. I think I am like that now but with Andrew WK and Kat Dennings. I have never felt so strongly and happily about a celebrity couple before. Every time they pop up on my timeline I am just like "awww good for them, they are having so much fun".

I feel like that about Kristen Bell and her husband Dax. They're adorable and sweet.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Yikes, weighed myself for the first time in a couple of months, and I'm right at the edge of it starting with a 2 for the first time in...8 years? As unpleasant as it sounds, it might be time to stop eating and drinking my feelings.

My weight has fluctuated more in the last year and a half than the entire half decade before it. A year ago I was down ten pounds from COVID anxiety, now up ten from combo animal depression and being back out of the house every day and able to make bad choices.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

swickles posted:

Which Andrew WK is it though

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
WWE in general has been bad but this is a good bit

https://twitter.com/WWEonFOX/status/1436485918307848206?s=19

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Cat does not want to receive medicine.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Growing up my 13 pound cat easily put up a far more difficult and vicious fight to take medicine than my 80 pound Weimaraner, don’t underestimate the density of feline rage and spite

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Braksgirl posted:

We have given panda so many pills that she knows what time a day to go hide in her cage and has become deeply suspicious of any food that is soft and could contain pills. We now have to hide them in sweet potatoes as she will inhale those without checking.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

swickles posted:

Question, figure I would ask here before wading into AI. My parents have a Ford Explorer with sport rim/tires. Unfortunately they suck in any kind of weather and want to take it to PA where there will be ice and snow and roads at something other than a 0 degree angle.
Reverse snowbirds? That's different.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

wandler20 posted:

Insulated stairs, about 50 outlets, rock garden for the bathtub.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Braksgirl posted:

My boy loving loved the dewormer I had to give him after his first vet visit. My girl won't see a vet until the 20th and I already know she's going to fight the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Thaddius the Large posted:

Oh, windows windows windows. Natural light best light, the more the better! Or if there’s a more energy efficient or whatever design that still allows for maximum natural light while not being covered in glass, whatever works.
Solartubes! They are like skylights but don't mess up attics as much.