Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

This is the second time they showed the Kzin on the Cerritos, a member of a race that is pretty much the diametric opposite of everything the Federation stands for. My brain hungers for an an explanation as to how this is possible.

It's probably possible because political compass and personal philosophy aren't racial traits

It doesn't mean their species as a whole joined the federation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Maybe they just overthrew a horrible fascist government because they were tired of being told how to breed

Or maybe the females rose up realizing there wasn't much in it for them

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

pik_d posted:

What were people's reactions when TNG had a Klingon on the bridge? I was 4 months old when the first episode aired so I can't say I remember what people who knew what Klingons even were thought of that.

i was in grade school but to my recollection it was promoted somewhat prominently there was a klingon crewmember now and iirc it was seen as kind of a star trek mirroring of the glasnost cold war vibe of the time

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtW5Vh5d8nw&t=135s

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/wcruz73/status/1436333680880934927
Well that's loving awful :sigh:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/mikemcmahantm/status/1436477299365318657?s=21

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wonder if it's the deranged prick who runs that gimmick twitter account dedicated all caps screaming harassment of various Modern Trek actors showin' up IRL?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Payndz posted:

Fun episode (even if the Dooplers were straight-up Futurama aliens rather than Star Trek), and more openly warm-hearted than usual - the ending with the main cast all hanging out in Space Cheers had a real 'crew as family' vibe for probably the first time. But ironically, the story took advantage of animation being able to do things live-action TV can't without an enormous budget and gave us... an interminable car chase? I was at the 'come on, end now, END!' stage before they even reached the aviary.

I did enjoy the further recanonisation of TAS with all the races from 'Jihad', though. (And one of Bem's species was in the mid-season trailer.) Keep 'em coming!

It feels like most of the aliens and world building newly introduced for Lower Decks is more Futurama than Star Trek. I mean, I'm very okay with that for an animated comedy in ways I wouldn't be for a live-action drama, it's not a complaint.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There's gotta be a gold mine of aliens alluded to but never shown because (insert some weird trait that makes it more difficult and expensive than gluing bits and bobs on people's foreheads) throughout Trek canon that they can pull from, likely from the occasional throwaway line on TNG.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Dooplers really reminded me of the Meeseeks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Another really solid episode. They did go back to the classic pairings, but they did good work with them. Mariner inviting her mom in to the bar was a nice moment, that should mark a nice step forward in their relationship.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

Wonder if it's the deranged prick who runs that gimmick twitter account dedicated all caps screaming harassment of various Modern Trek actors showin' up IRL?

Wasn’t the Star Trek Day stuff invite only? If so it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out who he was and ban him from future events.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn’t the Star Trek Day stuff invite only? If so it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out who he was and ban him from future events.

Either way, it's not the first time in history that someone showed up to a Star Trek event and made a lifelong enemy out of one of a main cast actor by metaphorically showing their rear end to everyone around them :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Problematic Soup posted:

This is I think the third time that they’ve mentioned capital ships in the show, and apparently the California class isn’t one. And the bouncer at the party mentioned Luna class and bigger ship captains only were invited. I would be interested to know if this sort if dividing line between “real ship” and second-tier/support role ships is an actual thing that gets fleshed out more.

In real life a capital ship is the largest and most capable ships in the fleet, but in sci-fi it tends to mean any large rated ship.

In real life, the California and Parliament (and maybe oberth) classes would be what we'd call part of the Auxiliary fleet. Naval ships that exist in a support role and aren't designed for more than defensive combat. (I wonder if the Cerritos uniform means auxiliary fleet service). And then in the Fleet proper you have the category of 'rated' ships, which is basically full fleet ships that are big enough to be considered proper full-on commands (so like in Star Trek runabouts wouldn't be rated, but, like, a Defiant would be.) And then there's the Trek definition of capital ships, which this episode implies is cut off around Luna or so. (Cerritos is a lot bigger than a Luna but like I said, she's auxiliary).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

In real life a capital ship is the largest and most capable ships in the fleet, but in sci-fi it tends to mean any large rated ship.

In real life, the California and Parliament (and maybe oberth) classes would be what we'd call part of the Auxiliary fleet. Naval ships that exist in a support role and aren't designed for more than defensive combat. (I wonder if the Cerritos uniform means auxiliary fleet service). And then in the Fleet proper you have the category of 'rated' ships, which is basically full fleet ships that are big enough to be considered proper full-on commands (so like in Star Trek runabouts wouldn't be rated, but, like, a Defiant would be.) And then there's the Trek definition of capital ships, which this episode implies is cut off around Luna or so. (Cerritos is a lot bigger than a Luna but like I said, she's auxiliary).

The Vancouver seemed like it was a real Big Boy starship, so Parliament-classes probably have a place in the actual forward-facing sector of Starfleet alongside ships like the Enterprise, Titan, Defiant, and Voyager.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Vancouver was a big-boy prestige starfleet, but it was explicitly said to be purposed for large-scale engineering projects, so it was a big boy auxiliary ship.

It was very deliberately designed as the hero version of the Cerritos - it has all the same design elements, the deflector pod, the same exterior stylings, etc, but on the Cerritos it's all straight lines and circles and awkward arrangement, whereas on the Parliament they're all integrated well and have curving struts that flow into the design. The Vancouver was made by ILM to lead the series and took ages while the Cerritos is something the in-show model shop did their best at but they had a weekend to kitbash out something from existing parts and had to use cruder shapes but it's okay, it just sits in the background behind the real ships.

And of course the 'sets' are the same but the ones on the Vancouver are more plush, while the Cerritos sets are just redresses of the Vancouver with slightly shittier color schemes because they swapped out all the fabrics and put some clunky bits around the set.

And the mission and role in Starfleet for the Vancouver is the same as Cerritos but more - the Cerritos is the ship that sets up a comm relay for a newly contacted planet, the Vancouver is the ship that sets up the system-wide FTL networking for the Dyson Sphere you just found or leads the mission to blow up a moon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 11, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Professor Beetus posted:

There's gotta be a gold mine of aliens alluded to but never shown because (insert some weird trait that makes it more difficult and expensive than gluing bits and bobs on people's foreheads) throughout Trek canon that they can pull from, likely from the occasional throwaway line on TNG.

Would love to see one of those transparent skull aliens that Jadzia Dax was smooching offscreen in DS9

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone tweaked the scene from Picard while keeping it seamless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B201soFDmZw

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

The ending of Lower Decks contrasted with the Picard trailer shows just how busted New Trek is. You create characters, grow them, let them confront obstacles and let us root for them as they overcome them, and organically we grow to like them. Not everything has to be We have to go back in time to stop the Trump campaign it can just be we learned something about each other from trying to crash this party / build this spaceship.

A bunch of cartoon nonsense has 10x more heart than the entire season 1 of Picard.

This is my big gripe with Discovery -- (and a lot of modern tv and movies) -- the stakes are so absurd there's never any time to breathe or do any real character development. Or they try and you end up with the dissonance of everything slowing down in the middle of a life or death situation so some characters can have a Meaningful Conversation.

I love longer form storytelling. Things don't need to be episodic. But there's also no need for the Entire Universe to be in jeopardy Every Goddamn Week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can get some good character conversations in when Data and Geordi spend the episode fixing the toaster.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Payndz posted:

Fun episode (even if the Dooplers were straight-up Futurama aliens rather than Star Trek), and more openly warm-hearted than usual - the ending with the main cast all hanging out in Space Cheers had a real 'crew as family' vibe for probably the first time. But ironically, the story took advantage of animation being able to do things live-action TV can't without an enormous budget and gave us... an interminable car chase? I was at the 'come on, end now, END!' stage before they even reached the aviary.

I did enjoy the further recanonisation of TAS with all the races from 'Jihad', though. (And one of Bem's species was in the mid-season trailer.) Keep 'em coming!

Yeah, the end was the best part of the episode. Freeman joining in with Mariner and Boimler's joking around over who has to be number one was really nice and gave a much stronger feeling of the crew all coming together.

I wasn't keen on the car chase at all. The dooplers, despite being a bit too out there as a concept, were at least funny enough to forgive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quinton posted:

This is my big gripe with Discovery -- (and a lot of modern tv and movies) -- the stakes are so absurd there's never any time to breathe or do any real character development. Or they try and you end up with the dissonance of everything slowing down in the middle of a life or death situation so some characters can have a Meaningful Conversation.

I love longer form storytelling. Things don't need to be episodic. But there's also no need for the Entire Universe to be in jeopardy Every Goddamn Week.

One thing I've found Enterprise actually does quite well is a good rotating mix of the crew just having a meal together in the Mess Hall for banter and interim scenes. Sometimes all you need is two-or-three characters poking fun at eachother over a meal to further the plot and fill time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shyrka posted:

I wasn't keen on the car chase at all. The dooplers, despite being a bit too out there as a concept, were at least funny enough to forgive.

My understanding is that a lot of the car chase was actually reference-based humour - specifically that it works better if you remember the blues brothers mall chase.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 11, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Martytoof posted:

This episode was sweet but the whole doopler thing was awfully pointless and felt like a ten second gag that was stretched out to twenty minutes. The Rutherford and Tendi arc felt kind of weird but I can't articulate why.
The doopler definitely felt like a ten-second joke that was cut for time from a Futurama episode, picked up out of the garbage and repeated over and over and over to pad a script that was half-finished at best.

And Rutherford and Tendi seem so weird because they don't actually seem to be friends. They seem like they're trying really hard to force a friendship (or at least the appearance of one) but there's nothing there. Same goes for Boimler and Mariner. Everyone in this show seems to be trying very hard to convince themself that they're having a good time and doing what they want to be doing.

J33uk posted:

First season [of The Magicians] is a little rough but it turns into something genuinely charming and wonderful
The first season is extremely bad. If you make it through that then the show gets extremely good and stays good all the way to the end, but that first season is a bitter pill.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Doopler bit was just this:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

The Doopler bit was just this:

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. I can see what they were trying to do, it's a ten second joke that they tried to stretch out into a b-plot that mirrored the episode/season's theme about becoming comfortable with who you are.

It's just... it's still a just ten second joke that had already been well done in short treks (by someone who was a writer for The Office).

e: also extremely mixed feeling about what they're doing with the characters. I think Tendi/Rutherford is fine because the only characterisation they really got in S1 is 'nice and likes science' so I totally buy that they are friends and in s2 they've been getting drips and drabs of depth added to them. Mariner/Boimler annoys me not just because it's a super toxic relationship and it's not credible that anyone would want to be friends with Mariner, but the reason S1 Boimler had a satisfying end to his arc was because he finally gained the confidence to take the promotion and to walk away from the toxic relationship with Mariner. S2 is deliberately walking that character development back and trying to pitch it as a good thing, which I'm just not buying as long as Mariner gets to continue to be toxic and suffer no consequences.

Also the oddest thing is that the show is very aware of all of these tensions. They actually have a joke where Boimler instantly bonds with someone over how awful Mariner is. But they just don't follow through with how the characters should react to how they should feel about each other.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 11, 2021

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It was a repeat of "The Trouble with Tribbles", but I liked the beginning and "it's a lot easier to not be nervous around people being actively mean toward you" resolution

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What interests me about Rutherford is he's almost weirdly optimistic and happy and "everything's fine" then has a meltdown about all this poo poo that's been bothering him

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

galenanorth posted:

It was a repeat of "The Trouble with Tribbles", but I liked the beginning and "it's a lot easier to not be nervous around people being actively mean toward you" resolution

And then she beamed them to the Klingon Ship snobby party, where they should be no Tribble at all.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

What interests me about Rutherford is he's almost weirdly optimistic and happy and "everything's fine" then has a meltdown about all this poo poo that's been bothering him

Rutherford is by far the most heroic character on the show. And I'm not saying that just off the S1 finale, it's consistently there across most episodes.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

MikeJF posted:

And then she beamed them to the Klingon Ship snobby party, where they should be no Tribble at all.

All power to the engines.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Rutherford is by far the most heroic character on the show. And I'm not saying that just off the S1 finale, it's consistently there across most episodes.

Okey dokey!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Oh, btw, if anyone is holding out hope for a Guinan v Q showdown in Pic so, don't hold your breath. No mention of anything Trek related on imdb.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Trickjaw posted:

Oh, btw, if anyone is holding out hope for a Guinan v Q showdown in Pic so, don't hold your breath. No mention of anything Trek related on imdb.

Well, there doesn't have to be. There's no mention of Keanu Reeves in Freaked, either. Regardless, if Whoopi is running around with an AK in 2024 I'd much rather they just don't have her in the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IMDb isn’t always an accurate source for casting on things still in production. We also heard from Whoopi herself last year that she’d be joining the production “for a little while” and Chabon (now just one of the writers) talked about writing new Guinan scenes around the same time. So she’ll be in Picard S2 for sure, but the actual size of the role is still unknown.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MikeJF posted:

Someone tweaked the scene from Picard while keeping it seamless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B201soFDmZw

It is absolutely insane how that small adjustment actually makes it feel like "hell yeah, the cavalry" and not a headache-inducing eyeroll.

Not that it's peak drama either way, but that cut-and-paste fleet really cast a big shadow of lameness over that whole sequence. They really fell flat on their face going for the lowest-hanging fruit of geeky drama beats.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
Also, I deeply appreciated the skant callback. Apparently, they’re still regulation uniforms. I think that in most cases, it looks like a crew has a wide variety of approved uniforms they can use, at least for certain functions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It is absolutely insane how that small adjustment actually makes it feel like "hell yeah, the cavalry" and not a headache-inducing eyeroll.

Not that it's peak drama either way, but that cut-and-paste fleet really cast a big shadow of lameness over that whole sequence. They really fell flat on their face going for the lowest-hanging fruit of geeky drama beats.

I still think it would've been better to have a handful of Starfleet ships, instead of a fleet that size. Just to sell how utterly powerful Starfleet ships can be, and how ragtag the Zhat Vasj are that they might stomp a civilian ship but they're just as easily swatted by A Starfleet capital ship

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Alchenar posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. I can see what they were trying to do, it's a ten second joke that they tried to stretch out into a b-plot that mirrored the episode/season's theme about becoming comfortable with who you are.

It's just... it's still a just ten second joke that had already been well done in short treks (by someone who was a writer for The Office).

If you're going to stretch a 10 second joke out into several minutes over the course of the episode, Richard Kind is exactly the person you want having that comedic freak-out, he carried the hell out of that gag and I enjoyed it the whole way through.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phew, finally got around to watching the latest Picard trailer.

I have never been less interested in a premise in my life. It’s so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MillennialVulcan posted:

If you're going to stretch a 10 second joke out into several minutes over the course of the episode, Richard Kind is exactly the person you want having that comedic freak-out, he carried the hell out of that gag and I enjoyed it the whole way through.

I love imagining him in the recording booth with a list of anxious phrases