Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I actually did expect this, but I figured that the Ink Witch rolling up and asking her what he'd name her was the setup for a self-referential joke, with "Ink Witch" being the obvious comedic answer.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i do not understand what goes on in mookies mind

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Mx. posted:

i do not understand what goes on in mookies mind

he must just be doing this just to say he's still an artist right?

this is the output for someone who feels obligated, but it's not even for any worthwhile income at this point

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tesseraction posted:

Joker laughed out loud due to this. Of course he went with the option we said would be the dumbest most pointless outcome.

One of my favorite Let's Plays is the old Super Best Friends Play LP of Beyond: Two Souls. This isn't just because they're funny dudes and Cage is one of the few 'writers' whos work rivals Mookies, no. It's because the story was literally too stupid for them to mock. Every time they would make a joke along the lines of 'Wouldn't it be funny/stupid if X?' X would happen moments later. The game was literally too stupid to mock.

We're now at that point with this comic. And have been for a while, really. The comic is literally too loving stupid and badly written to be mocked.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
My expectations were rock bottom and I'm still baffled

YF-23 posted:

Right; this is a betrayal of the fact that these very close friends have been together for like three days and barely know each other, to the point where Snout's answer to "how would you describe my personality?" is "uhhh idk". There's another side to that, which is that any name Snout could pick that honestly reflected the Ink WItch's personality would draw attention to the negative aspects of it, like Cuddler or Fibber, and mookie cannot have his softboy protagonist ever say anything bad about his ~friends~, he can only ever talk about how good and cool and awesome they are.

Remember, they are close enough to naked cuddle but apparently not close enough to get accurate guage on her personality without making her out to be an manipulative sleezeball

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 10, 2021

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Happy Landfill posted:

Remember, they are close enough to naked cuddle but apparently not close enough to get accurate guage on her personality without making her out to be an manipulative sleezeball

This is because there are no aspects to her personality that aren't 'glompish manic pixie dream girl' built on a foundation of lies and boundary crossing. The character is just a surface patina of 'Mookie thinks this is nice and hot' over the void, and the result is someone who comes off like they have no concept of other people's internality but who perform the signs of what Mookie likes: Glomping, praise, and nonthreatening physical affection.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You know, I had to cut off a friend of mine after he texted me asking to come over and platonically cuddle in his bed with him (while he was, for complicated reasons, temporarily separated from his wife) and he couldn't understand why I was so upset by this.

I don't think he's Mookie, but jesus why is there more than one dude like that.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

"just name me based on what yoy know about my personality"

"uh... you're an ink witch"

i feel like a real world analogy would be problematic

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Given Snout's background is that he voluntarily chose to live like a hermit in the middle of the murderous wilderness you would think he'd have a higher value for his own personal space.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Given Snout's background is that he voluntarily chose to live like a hermit in the middle of the murderous wilderness you would think he'd have a higher value for his own personal space.

Actually, that brings up a question: where the hell are Snout’s parents? Specifically, why did they apparently decide to live as hermits, and why did Snout decide to keep up the tradition? Or alternatively, why did he decide to go off and do his own thing away from them?

Because for all we know, he just spontaneously popped into existence.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

RoboRodent posted:

You know, I had to cut off a friend of mine after he texted me asking to come over and platonically cuddle in his bed with him (while he was, for complicated reasons, temporarily separated from his wife) and he couldn't understand why I was so upset by this.

I don't think he's Mookie, but jesus why is there more than one dude like that.

while it's a small sample size* every dude I've known like that was also borderline to outright predatory, and the soft platonic cinnamon bun act was a cover for some fuuucked up thought processes and behavior

*two, I've known two dudes like that

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Regalingualius posted:

Actually, that brings up a question: where the hell are Snout’s parents? Specifically, why did they apparently decide to live as hermits, and why did Snout decide to keep up the tradition? Or alternatively, why did he decide to go off and do his own thing away from them?

If Snout was from OG Dominic Deegan we’d know his entire family history, college major and favorite food, but Mookie doesn’t give a poo poo about any single character in the legacy. They’re just blank states to either validate Snout and/or rub their naked bodies on him. And Snout is just a softboi to live vicariously through, the entire cast is completely hollow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mx. posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SassyEasyCiderNinjaGrumpy-v7YDbaEpWiLSd_2I

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I'm almost certain that's because Snout started off as a carbon copy of OG Dominic Deegan's Bort, a Looney Toons-esque character who lived out in the Wild Edge and communicated through badly spelt signs and violence. Mookie loved the concept of Bort and I think he flagged he wanted to do a spin-off featuring him.

But Mookie also doesn't plan anything and as soon as what passes for the plot began happening Snout morphed into the blob he is now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Trapezium Dave posted:

I mean. He didn't know Mongreltown existed. He was very excited to find it. I'm not sure he chose to live as a hermit, he just didn't know of any sign of civilization other than the open-air library.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zereth posted:

I mean. He didn't know Mongreltown existed. He was very excited to find it. I'm not sure he chose to live as a hermit, he just didn't know of any sign of civilization other than the open-air library.

a shame, if only there were a source of information he could consult.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

a shame, if only there were a source of information he could consult.
Yep. Too bad he was stuck not knowing that there was a real-rear end city less than a day's walk away his whole life.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

do you think Mookie ever looks back on his stuff and feels like it came up short or does he think it's all masterpieces?

It's such a bizarre thing to see so little care put into something that isn't something the author needs to put out to keep the bills paid

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

do you think Mookie ever looks back on his stuff and feels like it came up short or does he think it's all masterpieces?

It's such a bizarre thing to see so little care put into something that isn't something the author needs to put out to keep the bills paid

He's literally still doing epilogue comics on Patreon for Dominic Deegan. He clearly isn't ashamed of it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

mookie loves his comics, this much is clear

also all the responses he's getting on twitter are super positive, especially on the past two comics, so that's just great

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

all three replies are positive

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mx. posted:

Hard to say because we know so little about Ink Witches. Are they are genuinely a culture, or are they a profession? Like sure they have their quirks and 'culture' but many professions and organizations have their own internal culture. Cops have their own internal culture but I don't think we'd say that it's racist or bigoted to hate cops.

Like is 'Ink Witch' akin to saying 'Doctor' or akin to saying 'German' or akin to saying 'Jew?' We don't know. We really don't know if Ink Witches are a cultural group like Orcs, or just a profession/trade like other types of wizards in the setting.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't know what I expected. I knew it would be this dumb but I'm still disappointed.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

He's hawking two book collections of the legacy right now. Imagine wanting book collections of nothing happening. Imagine being that proud of the filler that is this new comic.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The idea that he plans to sell the legacy is bonkers to me. It doesn't matter that it's 90% landscape shots and recycled panels with no plot progression. A near 200-page book that you can finish in 5 minutes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'll say it again, Legacy is the true form of the Neverending Story's Nothing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And uncredited traced art.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
God, that's right. Like. The thing about being trace-positive that he keeps quoting is

1: reusing background details you drew once, you might as well reuse insignificant assets to save time, sure

2: tracing to learn is a valid means of practice and people shouldn't be ashamed of their learning tools

Mookie has taken this and heard "it's okay, sweet precious boy Snout, you don't have to try anymore. Trace other people's photographs and art, and then you can sell it, you still did the work so you earned it! Sweet kind boy, what a good puppy, do you need to cuddle more?"

Although this is acting like he's going to have anything more than his barnacles really be interested in buying it in any numbers at all, back in the day webcomics were a free-for-all and there was no skill requirement and everyone was just happy to see funny anime trope they knew. Now we're in the days of killsixbilliondemons and poo poo, soft boy gets hugs while the plot deforms drunkenly around him just doesn't fly anymore.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I'll say it again, Legacy is the true form of the Neverending Story's Nothing.
It's what happens if you end up picking the new name "Childlike Empress".

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The fact that he's printing copies of his book blows my mind. He gets next to no interaction on his posts on Twitter, and while his Patreon isn't nothing it's not like he's got tons of supporters. Who does he think is going to buy this? What in the world motivated him to do this? I'm sure there's small publishers who do limited runs that are fairly cheap so it's not like he's spending a lot of money on this I'm certain, but this is far from the mid 00s to early 10s where every other webcomic creator was releasing physical books at the peak of their popularity.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The fact that he's printing copies of his book blows my mind. He gets next to no interaction on his posts on Twitter, and while his Patreon isn't nothing it's not like he's got tons of supporters. Who does he think is going to buy this? What in the world motivated him to do this? I'm sure there's small publishers who do limited runs that are fairly cheap so it's not like he's spending a lot of money on this I'm certain, but this is far from the mid 00s to early 10s where every other webcomic creator was releasing physical books at the peak of their popularity.

Not to go completely webdog, but he has been complaining about barkers causing people to not come to his booth this weekend. So he's deflecting a ton.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Billy Gnosis posted:

Not to go completely webdog, but he has been complaining about barkers causing people to not come to his booth this weekend. So he's deflecting a ton.

Barkers?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I'm sure he did at one point, but Stonewater changed everything. The constant wrestling against criticism of the character and his beloved idea of a "sexy rapist" protagonist gradually tuned him out of criticism of the comic altogether. We've already seen bits and pieces of this in the thread of original Deegan with Mookie forging ahead with his ideas no matter how badly received they are even by his fans.

This eventually leads to Facebath where, using his comic as a proxy, Mookie declares that criticism of his work doesn't matter; all that matters is that he did things his way.

Things get really stupid from there.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

People trying to get people to come to their booths by yelling and stuff in the hallways.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Billy Gnosis posted:

Sure, but even if he's blaming poor booth sales of his book on that, he has to be looking at the comments/likes he gets on his tweets. He has to be looking at how much his Patreon is pulling in. It's obvious that there just aren't that many fans. Does he think that there's this huge group of people who like Dominic Deegan but somehow don't have a twitter and don't look at his website at all? That's the only way he could possibly think he has any large or even medium amount of interest in his comic with the amount of interaction he's getting.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

I'm sure he did at one point, but Stonewater changed everything. The constant wrestling against criticism of the character and his beloved idea of a "sexy rapist" protagonist gradually tuned him out of criticism of the comic altogether. We've already seen bits and pieces of this in the thread of original Deegan with Mookie forging ahead with his ideas no matter how badly received they are even by his fans.

This eventually leads to Facebath where, using his comic as a proxy, Mookie declares that criticism of his work doesn't matter; all that matters is that he did things his way.

Things get really stupid from there.

I mean, sure, and that made sense for the Deegan train wreck, but the legacy stuff is like... he clearly has no ideas! nothing is happening!

It's just a level of self delusion that's hard to process

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Sure, but even if he's blaming poor booth sales of his book on that, he has to be looking at the comments/likes he gets on his tweets. He has to be looking at how much his Patreon is pulling in. It's obvious that there just aren't that many fans. Does he think that there's this huge group of people who like Dominic Deegan but somehow don't have a twitter and don't look at his website at all? That's the only way he could possibly think he has any large or even medium amount of interest in his comic with the amount of interaction he's getting.

edit: I'm dumb but maybe he has some arbitrary "I want to be able to say I published X number of books" thing

my other guess is a seeecret discord

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He hasn't gave any indication of how his sales are doing, but going by how his booth looks...

... I wouldn't say he has much confidence in the selling power of Dominic Deegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

see if you can spot the two points where he took over art for Star Power.