Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

bag em and tag em posted:

Live FREE!!!!

But if your dog barks more than 4 times per month it will be executed

as long as the cop shooting my dog is part of a contract i agreed to, i'm satisfied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

bag em and tag em posted:

Lmao the first thing they did was establish regulations against microwaves and pets.

you couldnt have a microwave oven in your cabin but you could have a bitcoin miner with electricity cost split among all the other cabins since they were not individually metered

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

duz posted:

you couldnt have a microwave oven in your cabin but you could have a bitcoin miner with electricity cost split among all the other cabins since they were not individually metered

Loved the captain though. Glad that he and the crew got to have a chill booze cruise and cash these morons' checks for a bit.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Miftan posted:

Stephen Jay Gould: “I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Jazerus posted:

well

it's a lot less hard and a lot less expensive than it was 5 years ago. actual gene editing of embryos that become living humans? yeah, that is probably still a ways away. but that isn't what he proposed was going to happen "soon"...genetic screening of sperm/eggs/embryos is what he's saying will happen soon. that is, the parents will donate a bunch of genetic material for IVF and the lab will look at each genome to figure out how to make the "best" baby from that donation. which will still be monstrously expensive, but not as much. now, this will go a lot less smoothly than the rich parents probably think it will, at least at first, because we truly don't have a good grasp on, well, most human traits and their exact genetic origin, because almost nothing is linked to just a single gene and most genes play roles in multiple different things. you could try to screen for one particular positive trait and end up with the genes involved in that trait also conferring some objectively bad poo poo. the best that would-be superbaby parents can hope for in the near future is probably screening against the negative things we do understand very thoroughly and a few positive/neutral things like height that we have a reasonably detailed understanding of.

this is exactly the kneejerk reaction that is the problem. sorry. it's stupid to deny that there are heritable factors to things that make you better or worse at certain things, influence your personality, etc. these are all reasonably well-established. intelligence, as i said before, isn't well-understood but the odds that there isn't some array of genetic factors involved are slim. that is not to say that environmental and social factors might not have a much larger influence in most people's lives. i understand exactly why you and so many other people have this reaction but let's think about inherited wealth for just a second. how many people are born very rich, get all the best poo poo in life for the entirety of their youth, and come out of the experience as extremely stupid failsons? trump is like the ultimate example of this. he's deeply, deeply incurious about the world around him. and yet, from the perspective of capitalist meritocracy, trump actually inherited a lot of poo poo that helps him be successful given that he already has wealth - that is, shamelessness, belligerence, a lack of empathy, incredibly deep selfishness, etc.. and aside from this, it's quite clear that genetic factors can cause cognitive problems for people - there are many disabilities that are genetic. and cognitive disabilities aren't the only ones that hurt your success in capitalist "meritocracy" either, being born with physical disability is hugely damaging to your ability to compete. which is a pretty compelling reason to add to the list of why competition for quality of life is deeply immoral

the anti-meritocracy argument is very clear if you are coming at this from a leftist perspective...it's the same anti-meritocracy argument we make about inequalities derived from social and environmental factors, extended to genetic factors. that is, people don't have control over their "merit" and so creating a system that doles out quality of life based on "merit" is deeply unfair. yes, the right-wing, the rich, etc. are going to make - already are making - the opposite argument - that some people are just born better and so they should have everything. we can't stop them from thinking that, they've thought that for a very long time. but we can make an anti-meritocracy argument that being born "better" in terms of ability to navigate capitalism and accumulate wealth is both luck-based, and has nothing to do with what a person's quality of life should be because it is luck-based. whether we know what these factors are and how they work doesn't matter. it matters that the right is making these arguments based on science they only dimly understand and we must have counter-arguments derived from understanding the science more thoroughly than they do, and applying that science from a leftist perspective.

The problem with this argument is that no amount of facts or science, no matter how well it is applied, can help when you are arguing against someone who doesn't care at all about the truth or reality. Remember that this is a nation where a significant number of people will shove horse paste up their rear end because they refuse to believe that a vaccine won't make their kid autistic. Our government isn't very useful in combating that because most of the right doesn't care at all about science. I can't imagine that this same country would care to understand the role of genetics in stuff when they are only really interested in things that can be used to reinforce their dogshit beliefs, regardless of accuracy or truthfulness.

Even if every leftist was an expert in this stuff, and even if they were a master of speech craft, they'd still have to contend with this problem, and it's never gone very well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If you're explaining, you're losing

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Shame Boy posted:

That reminds me, if anyone hasn't seen it take a look at the famous paper that used fMRI to show that dead salmon can recognize human emotion:

http://prefrontal.org/files/posters/Bennett-Salmon-2009.pdf

quote:

The task administered to the salmon involved completing an open-ended mentalizing task. The salmon was shown a series of photographs depicting human individuals in social situations with a specified emotional valence. The salmon was asked to determine what emotion the individual in the photo must have been experiencing.

Lmao I love this, thanks

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Skeleton King posted:

The problem with this argument is that no amount of facts or science, no matter how well it is applied, can help when you are arguing against someone who doesn't care at all about the truth or reality. Remember that this is a nation where a significant number of people will shove horse paste up their rear end because they refuse to believe that a vaccine won't make their kid autistic. Our government isn't very useful in combating that because most of the right doesn't care at all about science. I can't imagine that this same country would care to understand the role of genetics in stuff when they are only really interested in things that can be used to reinforce their dogshit beliefs, regardless of accuracy or truthfulness.

Even if every leftist was an expert in this stuff, and even if they were a master of speech craft, they'd still have to contend with this problem, and it's never gone very well.

yup i agree, it's an endeavor exactly as quixotic as most "explain leftism to people" attempts. as a movement we try to do it anyway because it does work at some low % level or we wouldn't be leftists ourselves

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Man, I rocked so hard at the ones where you had to look at a flat form and figure out what it folded into.

I always wondered -- this was the 1970s -- what would have happened if one of the flat forms had been, say, a sleeve head. Betting that women's scores would suddenly have been higher than men's. Note that I was in a school system with mandatory Home Economics (cooking, sewing, baby care) for women and mandatory shop (woodworking, metal craft, printing) for boys.

man, they used to teach children some pretty useful stuff…

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

actually, based on my iq scores, my language skills are just fuckin fine

Yeah they're fine... for your IQ.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah they're fine... for your IQ.

Lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jazerus posted:

well

it's a lot less hard and a lot less expensive than it was 5 years ago. actual gene editing of embryos that become living humans? yeah, that is probably still a ways away. but that isn't what he proposed was going to happen "soon"...genetic screening of sperm/eggs/embryos is what he's saying will happen soon. that is, the parents will donate a bunch of genetic material for IVF and the lab will look at each genome to figure out how to make the "best" baby from that donation. which will still be monstrously expensive, but not as much. now, this will go a lot less smoothly than the rich parents probably think it will, at least at first, because we truly don't have a good grasp on, well, most human traits and their exact genetic origin, because almost nothing is linked to just a single gene and most genes play roles in multiple different things. you could try to screen for one particular positive trait and end up with the genes involved in that trait also conferring some objectively bad poo poo. the best that would-be superbaby parents can hope for in the near future is probably screening against the negative things we do understand very thoroughly and a few positive/neutral things like height that we have a reasonably detailed understanding of.

yeah, in my province you can get a round of IVF funded by the government if you have a genetic condition that would have an adverse effect on the development on your kid. PGD embryo screening is already happening, although right now it's only for things that have a serious health impact and not building your own super soldier child. the genetic testing itself isn't covered, isn't 100% accurate, and for most people it takes 2.5 IVF cycles on average to get pregnant at a reputable clinic so it's still definitely a richer person thing but it's becoming more available

i don't really have a problem with the freddie article overall, the weird emphasis on proving the doubters wrong aside, but rejecting meritocracy inherently rejects race science and these ideas are going exist no matter what people on the left think

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 13:22 on Sep 10, 2021

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1436385127450353666

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

i am harry posted:

man, they used to teach children some pretty useful stuff…

Yup. Although I envied the boys. I'd already learned how to cook and sew from my parents.

I hear that schools can't afford to have either shop or cooking classes because of liability issues. Pity.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Our "we aren't lighting the rainforest on fire to sell e-pogs" shirt is raising a lot of questions that are already answered by our shirt.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yup. Although I envied the boys. I'd already learned how to cook and sew from my parents.

I hear that schools can't afford to have either shop or cooking classes because of liability issues. Pity.

Eh we had both when I was in highschool and that wasn't THAT long ago (oh god it was well over a decade ago wasn't it). Though "shop" class wasn't wood shop or anything, it was like a semi-vocational thing where the class would work on a lovely beater car over the course of the semester, learning car stuff as they went. I never took it myself but I thought it was a pretty neat class :shrug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, I think working on cars is less inherently dangerous than operating metalworking or woodworking machinery. And stoves. Well. (I set my class notebook on fire on an electric stove, but that's because I am gifted.)

The one class I remember is that we made spaghetti and I refused to let my teammates break it up and I wound mine around a spoon the way I did at home and the teacher made the rest of the class do it. God, who'd be 16 again.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

it depends

the overall trend is toward regional "career centers" which concentrate the subjects that require heavy or expensive equipment or are simply more trade-oriented than college-oriented. so this is stuff like the various kinds of shop (car repair/machine shop/construction/etc.) as well as cooking, computer science, and a wide host of other classes. this offloads the compliance burden onto a single campus which can employ people trained in handling it more easily than many schools could do separately. it's honestly a cool environment to be a student in or work in as a teacher or staff member, and they often have big budgets that can go toward hiring really competent people and getting tons of shiny poo poo for students to use in class

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We had both shop and home ec as half-year classes, it was very good to learn to draw design drafts and use power tools to make your thing. Did a pinewood derby that was hella fun and educational. Also learned to bake cookies, that's all I remember from home ec. It was in 8th grade so 14 year olds and table saws, somehow no blood was drawn!

I now work for a school system that just opened a vocational/technical facility, what ^^ described above. It is super neat and I'm jealous of the students who get to do this as a career training thing rather than just a broadening horizons thing

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

so are we soon going to have another label on the box with “ carbon dioxide (g)” next to calories, and then years of media telling us to count our carbon numbers and it’s our fault climate change is happening ?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, I think working on cars is less inherently dangerous than operating metalworking or woodworking machinery. And stoves. Well. (I set my class notebook on fire on an electric stove, but that's because I am gifted.)

The one class I remember is that we made spaghetti and I refused to let my teammates break it up and I wound mine around a spoon the way I did at home and the teacher made the rest of the class do it. God, who'd be 16 again.

Well the car class also involved welding but yeah. Weirdly, we did have proper wood shop class in middle school, complete with all the band-sawing and belt-sanding and other fun limb choppy bits. In fact the only thing I think we weren't allowed to use was the table saw. I'm amazed I came out of that class with only a few raw patches where I sanded parts of my finger off :v:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As someone that turned 17 very shortly before exactly 20 years ago?

https://twitter.com/kennykeil/status/1435354064263413760

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

lol the matrix is literally a better apocalypse than the climate one we’re getting.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DrManiac posted:

lol the matrix is literally a better apocalypse than the climate one we’re getting.

That's true for a lot of fictional dystopias and apocalypses :(

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DrManiac posted:

I'm more ever convinced machines would run us better than the current capitalist-chud-lib world order

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The war against the machines narrative is revisionist history from a man desperate to believe that at least we destroyed the ecosystem on purpose.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Palladium posted:

capitalist-chud-lib

Isn't this just lib

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"OK guys you shat out so much carbon you turned the sky black, we're putting you in a VR timeout until we fix all your fuckups."
"You're harvesting our adrenochrene for batteries!"
"Whatever gets you into the pod dude."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Palladium posted:

I'm more ever convinced machines would run us better than the current capitalist-chud-lib world order

Just like Donald Fagen sang 40 years ago:

quote:

A just machine to make big decisions
Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision
We'll be clean when their work is done
We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young

Some sarcasm may apply

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Splicer posted:

The war against the machines narrative is revisionist history from a man desperate to believe that at least we destroyed the ecosystem on purpose.

We did :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Just got whatever this is in my work email

I have to assume somebody somewhere makes money generating these things but I'll at a loss to explain how

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Bloop posted:

I have to assume somebody somewhere makes money generating these things but I'll at a loss to explain how

Sending emails is practically free. If they get even a few bites out of however many millions they sent it's profitable.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1436475796357582876?s=19

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Genuine AIDS.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This Year, Give Her Genuine AIDS

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Bloop posted:

The algorithm discovered you and/or your partner is a bugchaser goondolences

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Having a low grade ai read advertisements and crap out similar stuff is probably super easy and cheap, and setting up a phishing domain and spamming out millions of mails is a half hour job. If even one person gives up their credit card to it, you've made a profit. And keep in mind it will be different nonsense ads from different senders nonstop. Someone is dumb enough to fall for it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Turns out Hemingway went to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

BonHair posted:

Having a low grade ai read advertisements and crap out similar stuff is probably super easy and cheap, and setting up a phishing domain and spamming out millions of mails is a half hour job. If even one person gives up their credit card to it, you've made a profit. And keep in mind it will be different nonsense ads from different senders nonstop. Someone is dumb enough to fall for it.

There will always be people dumb enough to fall for simple phishing scams, be they e-mail, phone, whatever. The other day I got a voicemail from a number I didn't recognize, and I'm assuming a robocaller called him and spoofed my number because it was a nearly two minute voicemail from some old dude yelling about how rude I was for calling him and not leaving a message, and common courtesy demands I should at least have left a message apologizing for a wrong number. I know drat well if he'd actually picked up the phone instead of letting it go to voicemail, he would have fallen hook, line, and sinker for whatever scam line called him.