Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
people like cascadebeta will never be satisfied and are a good example of why you should police your communities amd remove toxic hosed up people because they will never stop making GBS threads it up as long as they are around. i hope she got the help she needed but no one should have to deal with someone who is that aggro all the time

pentyne posted:

reminder that smarxist, who basically built and ran BNR from the start doing literally all the work got run out almost immediately after CB joined because he did something she didn't like

someone once describes her as a rage elemental because she would just become consumed with anger and people and never, ever let it go and wielded her influence like a cudgel and anyone who ever dared to push back

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Meloncholric posted:

i hope she got the help she needed but no one should have to deal with someone who is that aggro all the time

I don’t get the whole “getting aggro on message boards online” thing. Ostensibly you’re here because it’s fun, and sure, like any social interaction you’ll get pissed sometimes but when your entire persona is “kill yourself, losers”, I can’t imagine you’re actually enjoying it anymore.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t get the whole “getting aggro on message boards online” thing. Ostensibly you’re here because it’s fun, and sure, like any social interaction you’ll get pissed sometimes but when your entire persona is “kill yourself, losers”, I can’t imagine you’re actually enjoying it anymore.

imo, and this is just me, some of it comes from what you regularly post and read about. this is why i stopped reading the politics forums because i found that they made me angry and sad and when i am posting on SA i do not want to be angry and sad. we live in a scary hosed up world but that doesnt mean you have to doomscroll and read about it 24/7 either.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I don't remember if it was specifically her but I remember someone around that time posting that SA was literally the only decent website online anymore and every single person outside of it were nazis and chuds, so they can't calm down because the revolution has to start here.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

navy_seal_ copypasta.png

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Meloncholric posted:

this is why i stopped reading the politics forums because i found that they made me angry and sad and when i am posting on SA i do not want to be angry and sad.

This is the best advice you can give to anyone using the internet imo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Meloncholric posted:

imo, and this is just me, some of it comes from what you regularly post and read about. this is why i stopped reading the politics forums because i found that they made me angry and sad and when i am posting on SA i do not want to be angry and sad. we live in a scary hosed up world but that doesnt mean you have to doomscroll and read about it 24/7 either.

I’ve posted about how doomscrolling is basically the emotional version of self harm in the past and it’s very true. I have a degree in poli sci and the closest I come to reading political stuff on this board is the tankie thread, which is mostly just laughing about harmless idiots posturing in old military gear or engaging in multi-level Maoism. I feel like if I went into CSPAM on the regular it would be loving awful for my mental health, not even from the bad news but from the general shared outlook over there.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the most sincere advice i can give is to love and take care of yourself and do things you enjoy. live your life to the fullest and try not to worry too much because you only have one life to live and it is too short :)

I’ve posted about how doomscrolling is basically the emotional version of self harm in the past and it’s very true. I have a degree in poli sci and the closest I come to reading political stuff on this board is the tankie thread, which is mostly just laughing about harmless idiots posturing in old military gear or engaging in multi-level Maoism. I feel like if I went into CSPAM on the regular it would be loving awful for my mental health, not even from the bad news but from the general shared outlook over there.

i lurked the GBS trump thread for a while because i thought it was funny at first but also realized it was negatively impacting me too so i stopped looking at it and i started feeling a lot better.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I used to raid with CascadeBeta and she was pretty fun to hang out with. Then she came out and things got weird. I have a lot of sympathy for trans people being out of sorts as you come out and figure out who you really are, but what she ended up doing was way too over the top.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've definitely had bad days and just been a snide rear end in a top hat to people on-line who are thousands of miles away from me so I'm sure others also do that

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe not all the time but it's absolutely fun to get mad and say some rude poo poo occasionally. It's good for the soul

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Heath posted:

I've definitely had bad days and just been a snide rear end in a top hat to people on-line who are thousands of miles away from me so I'm sure others also do that

this is normal human behavior and no one is above it. but there is a difference between calling someone a dumbass online and telling someone to kill themselves over pointless internet bullshit imo

Arivia posted:

I used to raid with CascadeBeta and she was pretty fun to hang out with. Then she came out and things got weird. I have a lot of sympathy for trans people being out of sorts as you come out and figure out who you really are, but what she ended up doing was way too over the top.

this is why i sincerely hope cascadebeta is doing better now. i dont blame the people who suffered her abuse and vitriol for not forgiving her because that is a fair reaction to someone being an abusive shithead to them. but as an outsider who never dealt with her or had to suffer through it i sincerely hope she is doing better and not so aggro because no person should be that angry all the time over every single thing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

some plague rats posted:

Maybe not all the time but it's absolutely fun to get mad and say some rude poo poo occasionally. It's good for the soul

I mean, that makes sense but there’s “getting mad and saying rude poo poo occasionally because online stuff doesn’t have the consequences of real life stuff” and there’s “I am loving raging all the time, and my lowest key moment in this social group is like someone cut off an axe murderer in traffic”

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Meloncholric posted:

this is why i sincerely hope cascadebeta is doing better now. i dont blame the people who suffered her abuse and vitriol for not forgiving her because that is a fair reaction to someone being an abusive shithead to them. but as an outsider who never dealt with her or had to suffer through it i sincerely hope she is doing better and not so aggro because no person should be that angry all the time over every single thing

Yeah, same and for other people who have exited the forums for whatever reason who clearly didn't *like* being here but had it as their main vice. From what I've heard even fuckin Fishmech is doing better now that they don't spend 16 waking hours a day on SA.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

When tashilicious was posting in the climate thread and pre- "d&d miniatures" phase they talked early on how when they talked to their therapist they were told pretty strongly that their doomscrolling/posting was bad for them mentally and they needed to stop.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

pentyne posted:

When tashilicious was posting in the climate thread and pre- "d&d miniatures" phase they talked early on how when they talked to their therapist they were told pretty strongly that their doomscrolling/posting was bad for them mentally and they needed to stop.

This sounds like turt, not tasha, are you certain?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Turt was the pipe-bombing-cows-to-stop-global-warming one.

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

I once checked up on Bread and Roses and there was a long thread about someone complaining about CascadeBeta's moderation, which caused her to melt down and declare her intentions to quit the forums.

Then someone posted this and was immediately permabanned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2nlY5X64kE

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Sea_Caldwell posted:

I once checked up on Bread and Roses and there was a long thread about someone complaining about CascadeBeta's moderation, which caused her to melt down and declare her intentions to quit the forums.

lmao

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sea_Caldwell posted:

Lol cool community

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sea_Caldwell posted:

:ocelot::vince:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Peachfart posted:

This sounds like turt, not tasha, are you certain?

yeah it was turt, my bad

turt.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
when it looked like something awful was about to be shut down i saw goons spamming links to BnR everywhere and was curious enough to consider joining until i realized the community was full of tankies and other c-spam and D&D rejects and immediately ran away and never looked back

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I mean, that makes sense but there’s “getting mad and saying rude poo poo occasionally because online stuff doesn’t have the consequences of real life stuff” and there’s “I am loving raging all the time, and my lowest key moment in this social group is like someone cut off an axe murderer in traffic”

I feel like there's definitely an impulse in there to inflict your bad mood on other people too, and there are a great many people on here who want other people to feel as bad as they do

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Heath posted:

I feel like there's definitely an impulse in there to inflict your bad mood on other people too, and there are a great many people on here who want other people to feel as bad as they do

one of the recent unique permabans was something like that. Someone who's rage at their struggles in the world resulted in them going into the trans tread and telling people to graphically kill themselves, expecting a ban+30 as the cost before someone rightly said "no, this person needs to leave forever"

and I think the covid threads have result in 4-5 permabans from people posting serious deathlust and violent intentions

pentyne has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Sep 11, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When there was that ebola outbreak in 2014 some goon was posting doomcharts about how 2 billion people would become infected in a year, wild stuff that probably inflicted a lot of fear & anxiety on people that they were never held accountable for lmao.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sea_Caldwell posted:

lmao

My biggest regret in my entire time posting on SA is ever taking a single thing she said seriously. I sincerely hope she figures her life out and becomes less of an elemental of pure rage.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sea_Caldwell posted:

lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah leaving aside the times when something genuinely lovely and worth being mad about, it's important to draw a distinction between "I mad and talking poo poo for fun" and "I am mad, full stop, I never change gears." it's the difference between a cascadebeta and a, let's be real, me

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sea_Caldwell posted:

lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

one of the recent unique permabans was something like that. Someone who's rage at their struggles in the world resulted in them going into the trans tread and telling people to graphically kill themselves, expecting a ban+30 as the cost before someone rightly said "no, this person needs to leave forever"

and I think the covid threads have result in 4-5 permabans from people posting serious deathlust and violent intentions

to be fair, that person who got permabanned from the trans thread wasn't someone who just went off on trans people for no reason, it was a trans woman struggling with severe internalized transphobia, self-hatred, etc. it took a long time to build up to a permaban but most of it was that person just being absolutely loving horrible to other people who had had more success transitioning in various ways.

i guess the point I'm trying to make is, there was more going on than just "access to the forums," because issues with intracommunity envy and hatred are a Big Problem in trans communities in general

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sea_Caldwell posted:

:perfect:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sea_Caldwell posted:

Man, that’s less of a permaban and more having your jersey number retired.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

drat I didn't realize homora got permaed

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Aurora posted:

drat I didn't realize homora got permaed

More of a "you'll be let back in once you're capable of behaving yourself again" than a proper permaban.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Sea_Caldwell posted:

lmfao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sea_Caldwell posted:

lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

More of a "you'll be let back in once you're capable of behaving yourself again" than a proper permaban.

the perma is in a weird spot these days. it's used in three situations: illegal poo poo, "you can come back once you get yourself straight", and deaths. if the mods+admins decide they want someone gone they drop a 100k on all their accounts. something about that "you can log in but not post for eleven years" is a more effective gently caress-you-get-off-my-forum than the permanent ban

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

the perma is in a weird spot these days. it's used in three situations: illegal poo poo, "you can come back once you get yourself straight", and deaths. if the mods+admins decide they want someone gone they drop a 100k on all their accounts. something about that "you can log in but not post for eleven years" is a more effective gently caress-you-get-off-my-forum than the permanent ban

Also it’s funny when the shade of a 100k’d poster rattles its chains via reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Also it’s funny when the shade of a 100k’d poster rattles its chains via reports.

OooOoooOOOooooOOooo it's the ghost of guy mann here to report a post for calling him guy mann instead of sleeveless