Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dexter New Blood: "Surprise, mother thunder."

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Incidentally, said girlfriend tried to kill Deb multiple times

Whoah, I don't remember this at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You know what would be an interesting storyline?

Dexter can’t find a serial killer but feels a need to kill and how it deals with that

So this definitely won’t happen

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I forgot about this Season 7 bad guy Isaak. I like him. He just drops into horrifying stories of Eastern Europe every couple of episodes that are a lot of fun.

Season 7 also kinda course corrects a lot of things that had been going off the rails in 5 and 6. Deb DOES put it together by talking to Jaime for 30 seconds. Someone with the cops finally goes "Man it's loving weird all the barrel girl suspects disappeared, right?" It's got the crazy minotaur guy too

Oh man, I think I forgot about this scene just to protect myself from remembering how cringey it is. I thought this plotline got left in Season 6 and buried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDy-QrBDkUk

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 10, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
in the trailer, ghost deb seems to be analysing crime scene photos on her own.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

roomtone posted:

in the trailer, ghost deb seems to be analysing crime scene photos on her own.

Dexter will be pacing around the room yelling "What am I missing?!" and ghost Deb will walk over, point at a photo, and make a connection that Dex will have no logical way of knowing. The writers won't notice.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
In that trailer they mention there's a serial killer on the loose with "no pattern" as to how they select their victims. I, for one, cannot wait to hear what Dexter notices that a bunch of forensic experts couldn't pick up on because he's just that clever

timp fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 10, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe they're talking about Dexter.

Probably not

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

remember when dexter wanted to bang deb?

sidenote: should I force myself to finish season 8 in prep for dexter: wolfenstein: new blood?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Just read Zulily's summary instead

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

People love to poo poo on the ending, but there was a lot of good poo poo leading up to it, too.

Like just before the end, he's about to kill the season's other serial killer that he finally tracked down, but then he realizes that he has a really hot girlfriend he can trust and therefore he doesn't need to kill anymore. Incidentally, said girlfriend tried to kill Deb multiple times and was currently fleeing to Argentina with his son because she had to take him to the ER after babysitting him for half a day and got made, a real winner.

Anyways there's a big ol' fanfare, Ghost Harry says this time he's cured for real and fades away, and instead of killing the guy, Dexter just ties him up and leaves him for the police to arrest. The guy gets free and shoots Deb, who goes into a coma and is eventually declared brain dead. Dexter goes to see the guy in jail and stabs him dead in the interview room, but Quinn and Batista, being cops, file this as a clear case of self-defense. The last thing he does before heading off to lumberjack life is kidnap Deb, take her off life support, and dump her in the harbor.

It's this kind of deep symbology and nuance you are missing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He was, and one time, it happened IN FRONT OF QUINN AND BATISTA, and they just looked disappointed.

Dexter: No one cares, who gives a poo poo.

Lol yeah its great

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just me and the boys watching me kill someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-JQlwPyM-s

itry posted:

Just read Zulily's summary instead

Incredibly hosed up that the summary does not mention the tiny subtle detail that all of this is taking place as a hurricane named after Dexter’s mother is arriving to Miami and the whole taking deb and dumping her in the harbor is immediately followed by him just driving his boat into the hurricane (named after his mother)

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 10, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah that summary misses Hurricane Dead Mom. Probably also worth mentioning that a lot of season 8 involves Dexter meeting the person who invented The Code, a psychologist who is an expert on psychopaths and is obsessed with Dexter because of all the troubled kids she’s treated (all of whom turned into serial killers), he’s the “perfect psychopath” because he has feelings sometimes. She’s being hunted by a serial killer and comes to Dexter for help, which involves him looking at a list of her former patients, and killing any who happen to live in Miami.

In-universe she’s treated as the platonic ideal of a psychologist, learned and insightful, as well as a caring and nurturing therapist. Her only flaw is that she is estranged from her son who is also a serial killer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I didn't know much about Charlotte Rampling, but I do know that she's generally too good for this show.

poo poo, even MCH is.

Edit: so is Quair. poo poo, I just realized that Quair likely won't be in this new season.

gently caress, what's the point now?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah that summary misses Hurricane Dead Mom. Probably also worth mentioning that a lot of season 8 involves Dexter meeting the person who invented The Code, a psychologist who is an expert on psychopaths and is obsessed with Dexter because of all the troubled kids she’s treated (all of whom turned into serial killers), he’s the “perfect psychopath” because he has feelings sometimes. She’s being hunted by a serial killer and comes to Dexter for help, which involves him looking at a list of her former patients, and killing any who happen to live in Miami.

In-universe she’s treated as the platonic ideal of a psychologist, learned and insightful, as well as a caring and nurturing therapist. Her only flaw is that she is estranged from her son who is also a serial killer.

This makes my decision to never bother with the last few seasons seem like a really good one. Because, seriously... wtf is this poo poo :chloe:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

itry posted:

This makes my decision to never bother with the last few seasons seem like a really good one. Because, seriously... wtf is this poo poo :chloe:

I'm truly impressed by you for having that much self respect in how you spend your free time. but I'm also feeling something else here...I want to call it disdain? It's sort of like being a member of the last class of new fraternity brothers to get seriously hazed before corporate stepped in to put a stop to it. You will never be our brother until you go through what we did.

fake edit: I'll cop to skipping one episode in the final season. I missed it live and just couldn't subject myself to it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I watched every loving second of this goddamned show. :negative:

I don't remember it all, but I remember enough.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I was sad we didn't get a SUPRISE MOTHERFUCKER in the trailer tho, cause we all know we need Ghost Doakes.

I am thankfully very safe in feeling like I am not missing anything jumping in having left in the middle of S5 it seems like reading up on the Wiki.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I was sad we didn't get a SUPRISE MOTHERFUCKER in the trailer tho,

Surprise. Father Dexter?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm genuinely pretty excited to see a new season by the guy who made 4 mostly good seasons of Dexter.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Koshka Brotherhood storyline wraps up with the last remaining bad guy doing the "What are you going to do, shoot me?" to Quinn before getting shot by Quinn.

2 episodes before the season ends, so I dunno what's left for the last two. I remember LaGuerta gets it in the last one, guess they're just gonna mostly spin their wheels until then.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

The Koshka Brotherhood storyline wraps up with the last remaining bad guy doing the "What are you going to do, shoot me?" to Quinn before getting shot by Quinn.

2 episodes before the season ends, so I dunno what's left for the last two. I remember LaGuerta gets it in the last one, guess they're just gonna mostly spin their wheels until then.

Isn't this when one of the dudes who killed Dexter's mom comes into the picture? Always thought it was dumb how they brushed off a plot they already did back in season 2 AND made it so that it was just a thing to get from point a to point b. It's like they were being especially proficient in their lack of originality. I mean, I guess in fairness to the writers (one of the only times you'll hear me say that about the Dexter writing crew), it was supposed to be Stevenson's character, but still.

Also, has it got to that point where Dexter thought this one dude was an arsonist serial killer just because he was an arson investigator and that's literally the only thing he had to go on? If I remember right his only other "evidence" was "He's looking at a burned body... and isn't disturbed!" even though I'm sure that's probably a regular part of that gig. It's like assuming somethings wrong with the plumber just because he isn't horrified by the smell of poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JaddaCaddra posted:

Isn't this when one of the dudes who killed Dexter's mom comes into the picture? Always thought it was dumb how they brushed off a plot they already did back in season 2 AND made it so that it was just a thing to get from point a to point b. It's like they were being especially proficient in their lack of originality. I mean, I guess in fairness to the writers (one of the only times you'll hear me say that about the Dexter writing crew), it was supposed to be Stevenson's character, but still.

Also, has it got to that point where Dexter thought this one dude was an arsonist serial killer just because he was an arson investigator and that's literally the only thing he had to go on? If I remember right his only other "evidence" was "He's looking at a burned body... and isn't disturbed!" even though I'm sure that's probably a regular part of that gig. It's like assuming somethings wrong with the plumber just because he isn't horrified by the smell of poo poo.

Yes, one of the guys who killed his mom gets paroled. Also Hannah tries to kill Deb for the first time.

The arsonist plot happened alongside the Koshka stuff. He tracks down the real arsonist but then has a change of heart because he's realized that he doesn't NEED to kill he just wants to, so for some reason that makes him leave the arsonist gift-wrapped for the police and he kills Hannah's dad instead.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I watched every loving second of this goddamned show. :negative:

I don't remember it all, but I remember enough.

The mind heals itself

timp posted:

fake edit: I'll cop to skipping one episode in the final season. I missed it live and just couldn't subject myself to it

That's the spirit :cheers:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

timp posted:

I'm truly impressed by you for having that much self respect in how you spend your free time. but I'm also feeling something else here...I want to call it disdain? It's sort of like being a member of the last class of new fraternity brothers to get seriously hazed before corporate stepped in to put a stop to it. You will never be our brother until you go through what we did.

I burned myself out 3 episodes from the end. Just couldn't face it since it required downloading them

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my friends and i would have watch parties every week in college during the final season. we would watch breaking bad live and then play a recording of the latest episode of dexter right after.

the contrast in our collective demeanor between the first hour and the second hour of those watch parties was as stark as in that video breaking bad/dexter edit that keeps getting posted over and over. one hour of hootin' and hollerin' followed by a terrible hangover, interrupted every few minutes with "what the gently caress?" and "are you loving kidding me?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Like Batista just owns a restaurant on the side now. Because he wants to retire to something that dominates his life less than police work. The writers of this show think owning a restaurant is an easy, low-stress gig. He's got a speech where he tells LaGuerta how simple it is to have a restaurant as his second job (because he still somehow has not retired yet so he's just doing both).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I just finished my re-watch last night, and like most of the series, aside from the funny stuff everyone talks about (hurricane mom, lumberjack) I‘d forgotten most of the details, and that ending pissed me off.

They spent this whole season (the whole series really, but they hit you over the head with it in the last season) establishing that Dexter has actual feelings for his family. They’re not just a cover for him anymore. Then at the end, he completely abandons his son to live in a foreign country with another serial killer, who doesn’t have a code about who they kill! I know he trusted Hannah, but I don’t think the show had her do anything to actually earn that trust.

I kind of remembered that he did that, but I guess I had filled in the blanks in my memory with an incorrect explanation as to why he did it. I had incorrectly assumed that the truth about him finally came out, so he had to go on the run. But nope, he just decides he’s too dangerous to be around, but it’s ok to leave his son with a less scrupulous killer.

And on a side note, it blows my mind that they had Harrison spend half the season hanging out with Hannah, and didn’t once have him talk about her in front of the wrong person. He would constantly talk about her with Dexter, but once she was hiding out at Deb’s, he never once mentioned her name in front of anyone who wasn’t in on the secret. No way would a four-year-old actually keep quiet like that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hizawk posted:

Dexter is furiously looking for murder tools to hastily set up a kill room.

He views a home Depot across the room, and suddenly Ghost Doakes appears,

'Supplies, motherfucker!'

Lumberjack dexter is driving along and checks his watch*

“Time flies for a trucker!”

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Someone please post the nanny salad acting gif.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
it should really be in the op

https://i.imgur.com/R0ievbn.mp4

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm the extra in the background walking around holding the script

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

There is absolutely no way even a competent season 1-4 writer can salvage what was done in 5-8 so lol at what we are going to get. Now that there is no pretense of this being good I am just strapping in to enjoy the ride.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just saw the latest trailer and I...actually...want to watch...Dexter??

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Thank youuu,i swear someone must have edited in a camera that was just rolling by accident lol.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How are u posted:

I just saw the latest trailer and I...actually...want to watch...Dexter??

The trailers have always been really good which makes the seasons so bad all the more funny. Every single time the thread would get hyped.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The season 8 trailer made it look like Deb was going to take a dark turn and possibly become Dexter's final adversary, lawfully or otherwise. Instead *gestures at season 8*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's a better final two seasons where Deb turns him in and then uses him as a Hannibal Lecter to solve murders.

This would have required a lot less Michael C. Hall though and he was executive producer at that point, sooooooooooo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

The trailers have always been really good which makes the seasons so bad all the more funny. Every single time the thread would get hyped.

To be fair (I was always hugely hyped for new seasons), the hope was that MAYBE there'd be consequences for his actions.

You know how in Breaking Bad, they jump ahead in S5 to disheveled Walt, buying the M60? Or especially when they showed the White household as a condemned building, with the HEISENBERG graffiti?

That was so compelling. Consequences! Commeuppance! Intrigue!

Remember the finale of The Shield? Holy poo poo, what a way for poo poo to go down.

Meanwhile, Masuka mimes a sex crime, no one gives a single gently caress about Kyle Butler or Trinity, Lumen returns to her home planet, a suddenly-adult Harrison gets bloodied by a treadmill, Colin Hanks talks to a Mos Def-initely wasted Edward James Olmos, and Dexter murders a guy while two fellow cops, one of whom USED TO SUSPECT HIM OF BEING A MURDERER, watch.

There will never be a :psyduck: big enough.

Edit: and we all know that I've skipped over so, so much. So goddamned much, but I didn't want the post to go on for a year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
LaGuerta accuses him in front of everyone and is killed like ... that night.

To be fair I don't want to see what the Dexter writer's version of "Ozymandias" would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

LaGuerta accuses him in front of everyone and is killed like ... that night.

To be fair I don't want to see what the Dexter writer's version of "Ozymandias" would have been.

"And on the pedestal, which was made out of stone, probably, because stone is cold and unfeeling like me, these words appear:
My name is Dexter, killer of killers;
Look at my victims, each were bad, because my thing is killing killlers!
But now, nothing's left, because I dropped them off in the Bay Harbour. That's who I am; the Bay Harbour Butcher. I am a colossal wreck, boundless and barely feeling. The sand stretches far away, a void like me, because I don't feel anything.”

But in terms of the episode, Dexter would have ALMOST gotten caught but would've killed the nazis in the desert, dragging each of their bodies all over To'hajiilee like it was no big deal. He drives away, back to Albuquerque, with Ghost Dad giving him a thumbs up from the car wash billboard, instead of Saul.

Edit:

Ghost Dad: "Dex, if you ever get in trouble, call Saul Goodman. You remember the code, right?"

Dexter and Ghost Dad, together: "Better Call Saul"

Dexter, narrating: "He was right. I HAD better call Saul."

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 11, 2021