Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lady Disdain posted:

I once came across a Hiawatha in the wild. A white Australian woman.

That's a definite oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Tonyanna

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I found out last week that New York has a Brooklyn-based assembly member with the first name Rodneyse.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Found John Hamm's Transylvanian cousin, John Hamula.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

William Wilson.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011
Best names to cross my desk this week:

Queenie
Attila
Willy Wang

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I went to the aquarium today and here are some actual fish species that exist:

Lookdown
Doctorfish
Sergeant Major
French Grunt
Slippery Dick

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I love lookdowns, they're my favorite.

Time to namedump.

First names:

Tangelena
Hope-Divine
Aceilyne
Dacoda
Diangela
Eyeris
Pholsom

Last names:

Big Boy
Grzyb
Smuts

Full names:

Holly Bramble
Dr. Brownie Flesche (I love this one)
Nimrod Chapel III
Candy Rice
Payton Sport
Starr Loveall
Dawn West
Tabitha Runner

Place:

No More Victims Road (this is a prison address)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Samovar posted:

That's a definite oof.

Extremely on brand for Australia, though.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
100%. There is exactly 1 (one) native American person in my town, and I often wonder if they've met.

I came across paperwork today for someone whose name is 2 letters away from Rocco Siffredi.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

IIRC this is actually a fairly common name in Hungary, though

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

IIRC this is actually a fairly common name in Hungary, though

Oh, definitely! His last name is a pretty common Hungarian name. It's just a strange one to come across in Australia

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

These are all people I've met in person:

Excedrin White
Al Dente
Sandy Sheets
Peter Bender
Zeynep Kitson

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Zeynep is a common Turkish name.

I got a visceral shiver of discomfort, and an urge to do a load of washing, when I read Sandy Sheets. I wonder if she has the same problem.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bippie Mishap posted:

Excedrin White

That should be a paint color.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A place I drove by today in this apparently real country that I live in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskdaleside_cum_Ugglebarnby

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am struggling to even say that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A name that perfectly recreates the experience of thinking there would be one more stair on the way down than there actually was

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Esk-dale(earnhardt)-side-cum-(sn)uggle-barn-bee

It's pronounced exactly as it's spelled, funnily, it just sounds like someone threw a box of british town names down a staircase and then swept the resulting debris into a heap and read it out.

It also, technically, makes perfect sense as eskdale is the dale (valley) in which the esk river flows and thus the parish of eskdaleside cum ugglebarnby encompasses the settlements on the sides of eskdale and the village of ugglebarnby which is just called that apparently.

A by is an old norse suffix for a village, there are a great many -bys in the area, but I do not know what an ugglebarn is, though the same linguistic holdovers also give us bairn (child) in the modern dialect so perhaps it is the village of very ugly children.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Sep 7, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

marshmallow creep posted:

That's not even in the top 10% of confusing English place name pronunciations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Last names:

Grzyb

That's the Polish word for mushroom! :eng101:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Esk-dale(earnhardt)-side-cum-(sn)uggle-barn-bee

It's pronounced exactly as it's spelled, funnily, it just sounds like someone threw a box of british town names down a staircase and then swept the resulting debris into a heap and read it out.

It also, technically, makes perfect sense as eskdale is the dale (valley) in which the esk river flows and thus the parish of eskdaleside cum ugglebarnby encompasses the settlements on the sides of eskdale and the village of ugglebarnby which is just called that apparently.

A by is an old norse suffix for a village, there are a great many -bys in the area, but I do not know what an ugglebarn is, though the same linguistic holdovers also give us bairn (child) in the modern dialect so perhaps it is the village of very ugly children.

In modern swedish Ugglebarnby reads perfectly fine as owl child village, with uggla being owl and uggle being the correct form to use in this case. If I would see Ugglebarnby in Sweden I would not think it out of place.

Zudgemud has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Sep 8, 2021

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Double post

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Zudgemud posted:

In modern swedish Ugglebarnby reads perfectly fine as owl child village, with uggla being owl and uggle being the correct form to use in this case. If I would see Ugglebarnby in Sweden I would not think it out of place.

Sounds like it could be a holdover from ye olden days of Anglo-Saxon occupation.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PureRok posted:

Sounds like it could be a holdover from ye olden days of Anglo-Saxon occupation.

Surely the vast majority of place names in England are Anglo-Saxon in origin? Danelaw seems more likely to me in this particular case, although you might assume that the language of the Angles (from southern Denmark) would have been similar to that of the later Danish Vikings anyway. I'm actually not sure if they were North or West Germanic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes it would be the danelaw, it's yorkshire so a lot of the places are a result of scandinavian settlement and a few dialect words still exist that draw from old norse, or whatever particular language they would have been speaking. And there is a greater preponderance of scandi-style names for places in the area compared to further north, west, and south (york itself is the modern form of jorvik)

Very pleased to learn what the "uggle" part means though! What a neat name.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Sep 8, 2021

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
addarryl, which im pronouncing as adderal
sarumon
tock
siblings akira kennedi reign, asani ali titan, king michael, and peyton ellen emily
jiji, with a very polish last name
shapier

last name: chud

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Some more people who don't need their SSNs anymore.

Lee Deathrow
Sammy Secession
Sledge Clinkscales
Sander Slagboom
Tribble Dicks
Waitie Cobbledick
Patricia Pizza
Keyser Caution
Wootie Martian
Robert Speakthunder

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1436431806400765975?s=19

Well, someone with a name like that would say that, wouldn't they

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Winter Stormer posted:

Some more people who don't need their SSNs anymore.

Sledge Clinkscales
Sander Slagboom

these two sound like henchmen in a D&D adventure

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Winter Stormer posted:

Keyser Caution

I'm reading Keyser as Kaiser, and my nazi alarm is going off.
Keyser Caution sounds like a name terrible people would call someone who's fastidious about safety, ie. a "safety nazi"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Lady Disdain posted:

I'm reading Keyser as Kaiser, and my nazi alarm is going off.
Keyser Caution sounds like a name terrible people would call someone who's fastidious about safety, ie. a "safety nazi"

Wow, is this ever a Photoshop Phriday challenge of days past! "Design Nazi safety posters starring Kaiser Caution" lmao.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Arivia posted:

these two sound like henchmen in a D&D adventure

'Slagboom' is Dutch for a barrier of the type you see in e.g. secure parking lots and literally means 'beat-down tree' (cf. think of Afrikaans 'boomslang' which literally means 'tree snake'). I believe Russian imported 'slagboom' as a loanword even. But it's a weird last name regardless.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sander Slagboom is one of the Dutchest names I've ever seen.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Pastry of the Year posted:

I am 100% happy about the thread expanding to the names of places, because there are some absolutely bonkers ones.

If we're adding place names, I nominate Lancaster County, PA (aka Amish country). It's home to the towns of Intercourse, Paradise, and Blue Ball.

(And yes, every other shop in downtown Intercourse has "I ❤ INTERCOURSE" merch for sale)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I wonder if the Slagbooms' ancestors were the early equivalent of bouncers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

I wonder if the Slagbooms' ancestors were the early equivalent of bouncers.

Probably spent all their time protecting the dykes.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Winter Stormer posted:

Wootie Martian
Robert Speakthunder

These are amazing. :allears:

Pope Hilarius II posted:

'Slagboom' is Dutch for a barrier of the type you see in e.g. secure parking lots and literally means 'beat-down tree' (cf. think of Afrikaans 'boomslang' which literally means 'tree snake'). I believe Russian imported 'slagboom' as a loanword even. But it's a weird last name regardless.

I have a friend with the last name "van den Boom". It's cool, and "boom" is a cool word for tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Scribblemonger Throckmorton