Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Yea but that was something that was pre existing that they acquired, both New Warriors and Rocketteer were made by Disney. I also miss why him being screwed over by Fox has any bearing on the discussion. Are you suggesting that Disney does not hold the rights to a piece of music made for one of their films?

Holding the right doesn't necessarily mean they can use it without paying people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Holding the right doesn't necessarily mean they can use it without paying people.

I find it hard to believe Disney would not own the rights to every single thing they ever made. I may be wrong and Horner owns to the rights to every movie score he did but this is Disney.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

twistedmentat posted:

I find it hard to believe Disney would not own the rights to every single thing they ever made. I may be wrong and Horner owns to the rights to every movie score he did but this is Disney.

they still can't make a Hulk solo movie without having to pay out to Universal I don't know think it'd be surprising if they had other dumb copyright/contract issues

that said considering Intrada Records reissued the Rocketeer soundtrack after Horner died I don't think there's a rights issue

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 10, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

twistedmentat posted:

The whole point of that article was that companies have to pay fair market price for things within their catalogue when they "sell" the rights to other parts of the company to use certain things, due to the fact that people who have back end participation/royalties for work otherwise get screwed when their stuff is reused. Disney doesn't have to worry about Disney saying No to using something, but they can't just do it for free, and they may not be willing to pay the cost to do so.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That. Plus I'm guessing if they used Rocketeer for one scene they didn't stop there and there's more music that would need to be cleaned out or paid for.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blockhouse posted:

they still can't make a Hulk solo movie without having to pay out to Universal I don't know think it'd be surprising if they had other dumb copyright/contract issues

that said considering Intrada Records reissued the Rocketeer soundtrack after Horner died I don't think there's a rights issue

Marvel sold the movie rights to them during their almost going out of business sale, so again the rights exist with someone else.

And I'm just basing my knowlage of this from the many, many simpsons writers interviews that I've listened to and read and they always say that if Fox owned it, then they could use it without any issues. Unlike when they wanted to use something that wasn't owned by Fox they had to go through all kinds of hoops, and Fox Lawyers would always say "can you just use something we already own?". It isn't exactly proof but I find it hard to believe that Disney produced film themes are some kind of complex rights issue for a modern disney production to use.

Anyways, I realized that it was probably just a temp track they used from the Disney library and a finished show would have probably had its own score so all this is moot.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 10, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

twistedmentat posted:

Marvel sold the movie rights to them during their almost going out of business sale, so again the rights exist with someone else.

And I'm just basing my knowlage of this from the many, many simpsons writers interviews that I've listened to and read and they always say that if Fox owned it, then they could use it without any issues. Unlike when they wanted to use something that wasn't owned by Fox they had to go through all kinds of hoops, and Fox Lawyers would always say "can you just use something we already own?". It isn't exactly proof but I find it hard to believe that Disney produced film themes are some kind of complex rights issue for a modern disney production to use.

Disney could use it, but they'd have to pay royalties to the people responsible for the music, so it may be cheaper for them to do something else. Studios used to get around this in the past by paying themselves $1 to use the music, and then the royalty owner would get fractions of a cent, which is the whole point of the X-Files lawsuit that was linked earlier. It was a big issue again within the last couple of years with studios "selling" their catalogue to their own streaming service for peanuts, and the back end participants of that media getting nothing compared to if the content had been sold to Netflix or whatever. Many lawsuits were had and the practice is no longer as cut-and-dry for the studios.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Seems really weird who they do and don't get for voice work on What If. I'm sure it's a contract thing but just seems kind of arbitrary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Retro Futurist posted:

Seems really weird who they do and don't get for voice work on What If. I'm sure it's a contract thing but just seems kind of arbitrary.

I'd guess some contracts didn't cover voice work and some did.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah, like Holland of all people must have been down but maybe they have to "rent" him from Sony so it's only worth it for Avengers movies, I don't know. Also is it just me or was Cumberbatch's performance bad? Like I just assumed it was a sound-alike because the dude was loving Smaug.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought he was the best voice actor of any returning character by a fairly wide margin.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, he did a great job in that episode. Bettany was really good too, but that's not a surprise when you remember he did voices for the films until he became Vision.

I don't think anyone's really been bad. Stan wasn't great the first episode but was much better in this recent one. But I thought Dominic Cooper was really bad too in that he was hamming it up a lot more, so I'm gonna say that the voice direction for that episode wasn't the best.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought Benedict Waistband's acting was good, but his American accent was still as "Okay, this is non-American man acting playing an American in a piece of media" as it's ever been, which is to say significantly so

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I thought Benedict Waistband's acting was good, but his American accent was still as "Okay, this is non-American man acting playing an American in a piece of media" as it's ever been, which is to say significantly so

I have to regularly remind myself that Dr Strange is American, but to be honest I have to do that when reading him in comic books too, same with Emma Frost.

I want a cartoon or something with Emma Frost using the same accent Matt Damon uses in The Departed. Dr Strange sounds like De Niro in Taxi Driver.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She should have like a total throwback Midatlantic accent, and then you do the flashback origin episode where she's Rachel Dratch from the SNL Boston skits.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So they're definitely doing follow up zombies episode right? Like that ending might as well have had a To Be Continued... on it.

Edit:VVVVVV fair enough

I mean, there's not really anywhere to pick up from there, is there?

A legless Black Panther, the head of Ant-Man, Spider-Man, and a cape aren't going to be enough to stop Zombie Thanos. I can't imagine a follow-up being anything more than 'Thanos destroys our heroes, gets the Mind Stone, gg universe', y'know?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

A legless Black Panther, the head of Ant-Man, Spider-Man, and a cape aren't going to be enough to stop Zombie Thanos. I can't imagine a follow-up being anything more than 'Thanos destroys our heroes, gets the Mind Stone, gg universe', y'know?

The only real question from there is whether Thanos somehow retains enough of himself to follow through with his original plan plus maybe wiping out the zombie plague or snaps himself an endless supply of people to eat.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vandar posted:

There's still more out there.

Thor and the Guardians, and Thor with Stormbreaker could still very likely save the day. Also Eternals will have been out, so if they ever get to season 2, they could possibly add them to any number of stories.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Skwirl posted:

I have to regularly remind myself that Dr Strange is American, but to be honest I have to do that when reading him in comic books too, same with Emma Frost.

I figure he's put on some fake-rear end upper crust accent like Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Codependent Poster posted:

There's still more out there.

Thor and the Guardians, and Thor with Stormbreaker could still very likely save the day. Also Eternals will have been out, so if they ever get to season 2, they could possibly add them to any number of stories.

Okay yeah fair, I completely forgot about Thor.

EDIT: Actually wait no. Thor got to Wakanda before Thanos, so if Zombie Thanos is there hanging out, then that probably means Thor already got hosed.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 11, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I would rather them keep coming up with new scenarios than revisiting a bunch of stuff

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think it'd be pretty cool if they like, held a vote for their fans which episode they would most like to see a continuation of, and made a series based on the winner.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm kind of hoping they use it to springboard stuff in the future, like use the multiverse aspect to bring in mutants or something. Be a solid use of Exiles too

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

She should have like a total throwback Midatlantic accent, and then you do the flashback origin episode where she's Rachel Dratch from the SNL Boston skits.

I always imagined Frost getting really upset with Hank or Scott or someone and just completely lose her normal upper crust accent and start screaming like some Southie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vandar posted:

Okay yeah fair, I completely forgot about Thor.

EDIT: Actually wait no. Thor got to Wakanda before Thanos, so if Zombie Thanos is there hanging out, then that probably means Thor already got hosed.

Remember Thanos got held up by Iron Man/Strange/Spidey/Guardians and that is not the case here. He likely waltzed down and grabbed Time Stone from Strange's dead corpse and then made his way to Wakanda. With the Time Stone he would have known that was where it was going to be. Somewhere along the way he got zombied though.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
In my defense I totally misinterpreted the ending scene when I originally watched it. For some reason I thought the zombies against the force field were outside of Wakanda and that Wakanda was still safe like they thought and that the Thanos reveal was like their future/what was coming next. I didn't even realize the Thanos shot was even Wakanda (I guess I wasn't paying attention at all)

For the record, I've never cared about Marvel Zombies stuff and wasn't neccesarily itching for a follow up episode to this one but something made me think this one was more cliffhangery than the last few.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1437237232012722184

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VYb3B1ETlk

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Extremely excited for Rogers: The Musical

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Kate's costume looks pretty good. So far I've enjoyed Marvel TV, so I expect this one to be good too. Granted I've always been higher on MCU Hawkeye than most.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh for a sec I was scared it was going to be very self-serious, and then the second half happened.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So much Fraction DNA in that trailer, hot drat.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm into it, and I never had any hate for Hawkeye. I think he has my favorite moment/line in AoU (I know that's not saying much) and up there in the top ten for favorite bit across the movies. I'm curious as to the plot reasons that keep him in NYC though. MCU Clint was definitely happy on the farm with Laura. Is Cardellini even slated to show up in this at any point?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Renner a domestic abuser or was that someone else(or was he exonerated)?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He did some unhinged poo poo, I don't think it crossed over into actual battery

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I mean Mark Rufallo was (is?) a 9/11 truther, and he's still around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is Renner a domestic abuser or was that someone else(or was he exonerated)?

There doesn't seem to have been anything new since the accusations came to light in 2019.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Hawkeye has more personality in this trailer than all of the movies combined. Too bad Renner sucks and will probably die/retire. Liking the dynamic between the 2 of them.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

hatelull posted:

I'm into it, and I never had any hate for Hawkeye. I think he has my favorite moment/line in AoU (I know that's not saying much) and up there in the top ten for favorite bit across the movies. I'm curious as to the plot reasons that keep him in NYC though. MCU Clint was definitely happy on the farm with Laura. Is Cardellini even slated to show up in this at any point?

I thought the trailer spelled it out well enough. Clint is probably treating his kids to a pre-Christmas trip to New York or something, and then has to send them away while he figures out who is running around in the Ronin suit. poo poo escalates from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Open Source Idiom posted:

I mean Mark Rufallo was (is?) a 9/11 truther, and he's still around.

Yeah it would be a shame if the USA government told the truth about 9/11! Mark can be a shitlib but he is generally good.

Also he shut up about 9/11 after his brother was executed/murdered. Real weird!