Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
These days I have no idea what people mean when they say “looks like a tv show”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah same

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Colonel Whitey posted:

Using two different TV shows starring Zendaya, you can have stuff run the gamut from something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpibxh-tWOI

to something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY9jIwCx8y4

So... yeah, if you wanna say something "looks like a TV show" you gotta be more specific lol.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shard posted:

One thing that surprised me the most with this trailer is how good everything looks. The lighting and cinematography is so different from what they went for in the originals but still looks good. I'm interested in seeing this.

One of my favorite things going into the first Matrix was having no idea what was happening. Like I had no idea it was about being in a computer generated world so I totally bought into the What is the Matrix tag. This isn't quite there for me but I'm excited about the questions I have. And the fact that it looks good makes me interested in finding out.
I straight-up thought it was a Neuromancer or Shadowrun movie and The Matrix was a virtual reality world, but I forgot all about that by minute three of the flick and was somehow still surprised when it turned out to be true to the point that I never once remembered that I was basically right until I read your post.

Movie was so damned good I forgot about everything I thought going into it for 22 years.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

teagone posted:

Nothing in that Resurrections trailer looked egregiously TV-esque to me. That said, the line between the cinematic aesthetic of film and TV has been blurred for several years now. There are a lot of good looking tv shows.

That’s because movies have gotten lower budget. I’m specifically comparing M4 trailer to other big budget modern movies and the original trilogy. It definitely skews closer to TV.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

In what way?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The lighting, choice of color treatment, sets. The camera movements. I would even go so far as to say the acting/actors.

Remember that guy who cut a trailer for the shining but it’s a romcom? You could totally do this with just the M4 trailer footage into a TV drama.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think you have to be a little more specific, you just listed all the basic elements of filmmaking. What is it about those elements that looks like tv?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Remember that guy who cut a trailer for the shining but it’s a romcom? You could totally do this with just the M4 trailer footage into a TV drama.

This is more about how strength of editing works, and has little to do with the visual aesthetic of something.

[edit] Like, poo poo, here's The Incredibles — an animated film — cut 7 different ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqLqJojLUro

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 11, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Neil Patrick Harris is a TV man, so it is like TV

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Colonel Whitey posted:

That’s fine, they don’t either.

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

“looks like a tv show” p.sure just means lack of a dedicated d.o.p.?

Gonz posted:

Oh there's no meaning in it at all; just that everybody would expect Smith to be some sort of leftover malware that's trying to piece itself back together for another go at the machines, and he's just some random dude, instead.

sans the revenge narrative: yes

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Shaocaholica posted:

The lighting, choice of color treatment, sets. The camera movements. I would even go so far as to say the acting/actors.

It was 4 stylishly-edited minutes of the film I truly don’t know how you can make those claims, especially about the acting. Absolute nonsense.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Qualia posted:

“looks like a tv show” p.sure just means lack of a dedicated d.o.p.?

I'd say "Looks like a TV show" can be used as a catch-all term for use when something looks cheap, i.e., criticizing a film for having similar visuals to a sitcom or something (static wide shots, generic/uninteresting scene blocking, little/uninspired camera movement, flat lighting with zero contrast, uninteresting color grading...basically something shot efficiently as opposed to artistically), but again, that doesn't always work because not all TV shows are sitcoms. Some TV shows are beautifully shot (see Euphoria or Queen's Gambit as examples).

I know art is subjective, but imo, there is absolutely nothing in the Matrix Resurrections trailer that comes across looking like a Seinfeld episode or something similar, lol. If you want an example of a big budget blockbuster that you actually can attribute the "it looks like a TV show" criticism to, check out The Avengers and compare it to Godzilla 2014—both films employed the same director of photography, but Avengers was helmed by a lovely rear end TV director and it shows.

[edit]

vvv :cool::respek::cool: Using the lack of artistic merit in Whedon's work as a proper example of a movie looking like a TV show, lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 11, 2021

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
EDIT - ^ LOL

Colonel Whitey posted:

To me its most apparent with the Joss Whedon version of Justice League compared to the Zack Snyder cut. The former "looks like a TV show". Like look at the difference in the two versions of this scene:

Whedon's version just looks flat, because of the choice of camera angles, lenses, lighting, and color grading.

Of course, TV shows now often have great lighting and cinematography. But people mean the cheap CW soap opera look.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 11, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

PT6A posted:

It's a Wachowski film, so my bet is it's going to be more bizarre than anything anyone in this thread can come up with

Neo's a hedonist and takes both pills! :v:

Shaocaholica posted:

How is that a bad thing, though? The Shining is a masterpiece.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lord Krangdar posted:

EDIT - ^ LOL

To me its most apparent with the Joss Whedon version of Justice League compared to the Zack Snyder cut. The former "looks like a TV show". Like look at the difference in the two versions of this scene:

Whedon's version just looks flat, because of the choice of camera angles, lenses, lighting, and color grading.

Of course, TV shows now often have great lighting and cinematography. But people mean the cheap CW soap opera look.

How does that apply to the Matrix: Resurrections trailer though

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It doesn't (imo).

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Colonel Whitey posted:

How does that apply to the Matrix: Resurrections trailer though

I don't think it does. But the lighting is noticeably different from the first three films in the series, and as far as I know they were shot on film but 4 was not. So maybe that's what people are picking up on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've watched that Matrix trailer like 15 times now

I'm so loving pumped for this movie

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

teagone posted:

I'd say "Looks like a TV show" can be used as a catch-all term for use when something looks cheap, i.e., criticizing a film for having similar visuals to a sitcom or something (static wide shots, generic/uninteresting scene blocking, little/uninspired camera movement, flat lighting with zero contrast, uninteresting color grading...basically something shot efficiently as opposed to artistically) [...]

okay, so there is no such thing as artistic v. efficient. mad false dichotomy, right? lack of a budget results in lack of a cinematographer: no variable focus, {in}consistent color, theme, tracking, etc. sully this with no dedicated composer, and you end up with rote. you rely solely on a director of action (logistics of performance: blocking, reading, etc.) without actual consideration of the consumption of the display as an aggregate

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol I’m not saying it looks like Seinfeld or friends. Admittedly I haven’t watched TV in a while but it looks more like CSI or House or John Wick(yes this is not a TV. High contrast and saturation. Shallow depth of field). than the previous trilogy for the in-matrix shots. There was a deliberate color grading done on the original trilogy to signify the matrix vs the real world which is gone now. But also what replaced it, to me, feels like what’s done for prime time TV and movies like John Wick. Maybe it’s deliberate and will be explained.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 11, 2021

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jimbot posted:

We can only hope. Throw in also "being gay" and it'll be hella amazing.

if it's not the gayest, most drenched in gender fluid blockbuster ever it'll be a bit of a failure given where the series started out

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It’s super woke but the twist is that it’s all part of matrix v.9 design. Hence the full circle on original matrix social commentary vs new matrix commentary.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Qualia posted:

okay, so there is no such thing as artistic v. efficient. mad false dichotomy, right? lack of a budget results in lack of a cinematographer: no variable focus, {in}consistent color, theme, tracking, etc. sully this with no dedicated composer, and you end up with rote. you rely solely on a director of action (logistics of performance: blocking, reading, etc.) without actual consideration of the consumption of the display as an aggregate

I...I think we agree?

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol I’m not saying it looks like Seinfeld or friends. Admittedly I haven’t watched TV in a while but it looks more like CSI or House or John Wick(yes this is not a TV) than the previous trilogy for the in-matrix shots. There was a deliberate color grading done on the original trilogy to signify the matrix vs the real world which is gone now. But also what replaced it, to me, feels like what’s done for prime time TV and movies like John Wick. Maybe it’s deliberate and will be explained.

If the film is indeed taking place post-Revolutions, the in-matrix shots look pretty consistent with the "reboot" stylings of the matrix shown at the end of Revolutions when the Oracle is talking with the Architect—high saturation/chroma with a distinct lack of the green-ish tint.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Also people say the green tint was not in the original movie, but it was later tacked on to the DVD release.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Colonel Whitey posted:

Shang Chi is an example of something that is very heavily TV quality, very poor looking lighting, direction, aesthetic, etc. but I base this off the trailer. Even Star Trek Discovery looks better than that.

The Matrix Resurrections, however, I though was beautiful and sufficiently cinematic.

Bond: Skyfall however is cinema, beautiful visually and amazing.

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

the problem that SMG is alluding to is that this looks like a movie about the subjugation of the Christ

which, like, what, why, good god, holy moses, what is this purpose [a recreation of the desert trial?]

teagone posted:

I...I think we agree?

most certainly. it'd be an interesting analysis of the film once released (ps: do not watch this film) as to the nature of the relation between dp, director, editor, but i fear maybe this was never thought of considering the time "gap"?

[long story short: wtf is keanu still acting]

Qualia fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 11, 2021

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Unless they rip off The Invisibles again it’s gonna suck.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

How! posted:

Maybe they'll rip off Seaguy instead and get real wacky

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The trailer looks a hell of a lot more cinematic and expensive than the trailers for the original trilogy.

I don't think the issue is that movies are getting cheaper looking, it's that TV shows are getting more impressive.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

How! posted:

Anyone who's ever actually read The Invisibles knows what a crock of horseshit this is. Yeah, they stole a piece of dialogue and a couple shots. But the works are otherwise extremely dissimilar.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone who's ever actually read The Invisibles knows what a crock of horseshit this is. Yeah, they stole a piece of dialogue and a couple shots. But the works are otherwise extremely dissimilar.
I think Grant Morrison is kind of a total blowhard who honestly felt like, personally responsible for stuff like King Mob's (and therefore Morpheus's) "trenchcoat and sunglasses" look becoming cool

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gresh posted:

Its pretty amazing where we are today compared to 20 years ago. The first movie came out during the end of the hyper corporate computer/.com boom era where things were more or less stable... people had money and 401ks even if they didn't like their jobs.

Now, everyone is broke as poo poo living in a late stage neoliberal Zion-like hellscape largely controlled by space traveling oligarchs and such while willingly posting on the Matrix.

And just think, 20 years from now we'll be living on the burnt-out husk of a totally unlivable planet, except we won't have a Matrix to pull over our eyes and escape it all. But at least we won't have giant flying killer robots after us!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

And just think, 20 years from now we'll be living on the burnt-out husk of a totally unlivable planet, except we won't have a Matrix to pull over our eyes and escape it all. But at least we won't have giant flying killer robots after us!

there's people living in fear from flying killer robots right now

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Necrothatcher posted:

there's people living in fear from flying killer robots right now

Those aren’t robots….yet

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm really glad the trailer doesn't match the original movies aesthetically and think the people who are bummed about it are insane. The Matrix movies were massively innovative and cutting edge, the new one should be aiming to be that too, not some dated cheesy 90's nostalgia piece.

I also think it's weird that people are complaining that they're reusing scenes and shots from the original movies like Lana Wachowski just forgot she'd already used them or was hoping nobody would notice. Like, there's obviously a reason for that stuff to be in there. I'm really excited for this and I don't really care for any of the original movies.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i think the new trailer looks nice aesthetically, and different from the previous films

the only thing i'm worried about is that the movie is poisoned with the same trump-trauma that a lot of american media has been lately. otoh it would be nice as people have said if they can thread the needle between that and also making some modern commentary on the matrix

one of my fav scenes in the sequels is when seraph, morpheus and trinity are just going through some turnstiles and trinity does a full cartwheel through them.
i hope matrix 4 is just as subtle

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Gatts posted:

Shang Chi is an example of something that is very heavily TV quality, very poor looking lighting, direction, aesthetic, etc. but I base this off the trailer. Even Star Trek Discovery looks better than that.

The Matrix Resurrections, however, I though was beautiful and sufficiently cinematic.

Bond: Skyfall however is cinema, beautiful visually and amazing.

So sounds like TV = things I don’t like; cinema = things I like

Still just really trying to understand this shorthand criticism and struggling

E: also lmao that the trailer looked like CSI or House, get outta here with that

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

i think the new trailer looks nice aesthetically, and different from the previous films

the only thing i'm worried about is that the movie is poisoned with the same trump-trauma that a lot of american media has been lately. otoh it would be nice as people have said if they can thread the needle between that and also making some modern commentary on the matrix

one of my fav scenes in the sequels is when seraph, morpheus and trinity are just going through some turnstiles and trinity does a full cartwheel through them.
i hope matrix 4 is just as subtle

same re trumpbrain, but I’ve always gotten the impression the wachowskis are pretty leftist and not particularly lib-brained in their politics so hopefully not. they’re good enough artists that even if they are poisoned I’d hope they’d approach it with more nuance than is typical