Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can just string multiple flexible extensions together if you need to go further

The problem is i can't find 4x5 extensions, only 2x3 and 3x4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Omne posted:

The problem is i can't find 4x5 extensions, only 2x3 and 3x4

thats fine just gradually narrow the line till water sprays out like a hydrant at the end

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The real solution is a catch basin with buried schedule 2p pvc pipe and a pop up emitter further down grade.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
My buddy went to a USFS wildfire tree-felling course, and brought his chainsaw over today and taught me the basics, and we dropped and cut up a few trees in my yard.

Now I want a chainsaw.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

My buddy went to a USFS wildfire tree-felling course, and brought his chainsaw over today and taught me the basics, and we dropped and cut up a few trees in my yard.

Now I want a chainsaw.

Make sure you buy chainsaw chaps (not joking). Also if you're not using it frequently, the $10 on tru-fuel will save you hours of trying to get it started and last quite awhile.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

devicenull posted:

Make sure you buy chainsaw chaps (not joking). Also if you're not using it frequently, the $10 on tru-fuel will save you hours of trying to get it started and last quite awhile.

Is trufuel shelf stable or something? Why not just buy the non-ethanol premium from a gas station and mix it yourself?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Is trufuel shelf stable or something? Why not just buy the non-ethanol premium from a gas station and mix it yourself?

It is shelf stable and is supposedly better for your small engines than ethanol free.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Tyro posted:

Now I want a chainsaw.

They're nice to have. If your needs are small yard stuff, electric saws are really starting to perform well and no hassle of small engine repair/maintenance, just bar oil. Still, gas saws are great for the power and run time.

My buddy gave me poo poo for buying a chainsaw despite living in the city. We're in Seattle so trees are still very much a thing in our yard. Plus I go up to the mountains for camping/dirt biking/etc a lot and there have been several times we've needed to clear a remote road from a fallen tree or buck up some firewood. I just used mine least week to chop up a tree I needed taken down via a bucket due to its proximity to our house. My parents have used theirs countless times to clear trees after a storm. There are certain instances that a saw is the only tool for the job.

I would recommend a Stihl if money is no object and Husqvarna if you're on a slightly tighter budget, engine and bar size is dependent on your needs.

Chainsaws are one of those tools though, wear all the safety stuff. Chaps, steel toe boots, ear and eye protection. People think it looks dorky for small stuff but it doesn't matter what you're cutting, that chain is still spinning really fast weather it's a 2" branch or a 14" tree and wood chips to the eye don't feel good.

Learn how to use it, consider a class if you're not familiar. Definitely do it before felling any significant trees. A tree doesn't have to be very big to kill/injure/maim.

Like with all my gas powered stuff (mower, dirt bike, weed wacker, saw) I only run ethanol free gas. Its worth the extra dollar per gallon and I don't have issues with starting or stabilizing.

Verman fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 11, 2021

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sexy tiger boobs posted:

The nearest place to me that sells ethanol free gas is ~40 minutes away, and I go through maybe 1 $10 bottle of trufuel a year. Easily worth it to not have to drive that long to pick up gas

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yep we used all the safety gear. We felled two trees the other day, I definitely wouldn't do one without training without someone experienced helping me out. His saws were both Stihl, if I go gas I'll probably get one of those. Electric is tempting though.

devicenull posted:

The nearest place to me that sells ethanol free gas is ~40 minutes away, and I go through maybe 1 $10 bottle of trufuel a year. Easily worth it to not have to drive that long to pick up gas

Yeah there's a marina about 45 min away, I'm planning to fill up some Jerry cans with ethanol free for winter generator use, but trufuel makes sense to me for a chainsaw.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trufuel also starts GREAT when its cold out. My saw and blower start up on the first pull at well below zero on it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tyro posted:

Yep we used all the safety gear. We felled two trees the other day, I definitely wouldn't do one without training without someone experienced helping me out. His saws were both Stihl, if I go gas I'll probably get one of those. Electric is tempting though.

Yeah there's a marina about 45 min away, I'm planning to fill up some Jerry cans with ethanol free for winter generator use, but trufuel makes sense to me for a chainsaw.

If I get a chainsaw it will absolutely be electric. I think the most unrealistic part of the Texas Chainsaw massacre is how quickly Leatherface gets a gas chainsaw started.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

If I get a chainsaw it will absolutely be electric. I think the most unrealistic part of the Texas Chainsaw massacre is how quickly Leatherface gets a gas chainsaw started.

Be aware that electric chainsaws, while great for some things, are not stopped by chainsaw chaps. I wouldn't be doing anything like climbing or out of position sawing with one.

Also, modern EFI saws start up great.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Be aware that electric chainsaws, while great for some things, are not stopped by chainsaw chaps. I wouldn't be doing anything like climbing or out of position sawing with one.

:stare: I did not know that. I don't own a chainsaw but if I did it was going to be electric.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uZQZBALVTc

Maybe depends on the model.

Edit for clarity, I watched a few videos of battery chainsaws and they all stopped when they hit the chaps, without breaking through.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 11, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

Also, modern EFI saws start up great.

I suspect based on the design schematic that the power control board to my M18 chain saw has a current limit that will inhibit the motor if stall torque is the input. I don't know the speed of this inhibition but it is likely a few ms. This is needed for safety for this reason and also to not put a massive load on the batteries, potentially damaging them.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Without attic access in theory it's possible but I think it can be very difficult, depending on the model. My Panasonic says you can do a retrofit but I can tell you from experience that you're not going to actually be able to do it without attic access. I suppose if you find a fan where you can pull everything out of the attic through the hole in the ceiling (duct and wiring), connect it, and then push the whole thing up into the ceiling from below, it's possible.

Yeah i just recently installed a Panasonic in a spot without attic access and ended up hiring it out.

It needed a vent put in and it was either going to need a hole through the stucco on the side or a hole through the shingles on the roof. I really didn't want to gently caress that up.

Cost me a few hundred dollars...i probably over paid or it was maybe a job I could have done myself, but i don't like touching things where if I do it wrong I end up with water inside my place 6 months later.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uZQZBALVTc

Maybe depends on the model.

Edit for clarity, I watched a few videos of battery chainsaws and they all stopped when they hit the chaps, without breaking through.

Well that's encouraging, because they most definitely did not before. It was a pretty big deal when they first came out.

I'd much rather a battery for a climbing/limbing saw then next time I need to replace something.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Yeah, I had a 120v corded chainsaw (first a Craftsman, then just some garbage Lowe's Depot brand) but the torque on either of them was insane.

I actually learned on the electric saws, so when I used a gas saw it took a few minutes to get the hang of it because I wasn't used to having to rev the blade so much before letting it dig in.

I think the electric saws actually let me put a lot more pressure on the bar, too, but I'm not 100% sure about that because I've only really used a gas saw for maybe 30 minutes total my entire life.

Edit: I've never used a battery-operated saw; my experience is almost 100% with corded 120v

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Zarin posted:

I've only really used a gas saw for maybe 30 minutes total my entire life.

IME 30 minutes with the gas saw means 10 minutes cutting and 20 minutes loving around with it trying to get it to run and cut correctly.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

We only use Stihl for work at the BLM and I rarely have any trouble starting then unless someone (my boss) has messed with the idle settings. I use an MS 362 and I really like it, I do tons of bucking to clear roads and it's a champ.

That said I think I might get a Stihl electric for personal yard/ truck use. I've heard that they've made some big advances.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've used a few gas and a few battery powered over the years. It's all dependent on your needs but if you have the option for a battery saw, I suggest going with the bigger battery options if possible (40v etc). The ones that run off 18-20v drill batteries are okay but the higher powered saws have much more power and feel closer to gas performance.

As with any saw, gas or electric, you should let the chain rev to speed before starting any cuts to prevent the chain from grabbing the wood and jerking the log or saw.

My neighbor let me use a new 80v greenworks saw and it was okay, my guess was the blade wasn't very sharp because I felt like it was taking noticeably longer than my gas to cut the same stuff. While I do enjoy hearing a gas 2-stroke engine rev to the moon, a quiet chainsaw is nice too, especially if you live close to your neighbors. The hard part is batteries. Chainsaws need lots of power and that power goes quickly. High powered batteries that run a long time aren't cheap or small. An electric saw with 2-3 batteries will likely cost much more than a great gas saw. And if you're away from an outlet, you're limited to the charged batteries you have on hand. With a gas saw, a small fuel can will last you all day and you can source gas from elsewhere.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The pro chainsaw experience is a lot different than the homeowner chainsaw that gets stored with old gas and tried to start a year later after it's turned to varnish.

Those are good points Verman. If you find yourself using a chainsaw for hours at a time gas is the way to go. My chainsaw use will just be in the backyard trimming up a few low hanging branches. I don't live on a large piece of land with tons of trees, I have 7 trees and most too big for me to seriously trim. My other use case is camping to cut up small pieces of wood for burning, which if that lasts more than a single battery, I'll charge one off the four wheeled generator I drove out there.

To me, having a chainsaw that just starts up immediately when I pop a battery in for a few cuts is ideal. I need one so little I have a tough time getting myself to buy one. I cut down a couple 4" volunteers and used a hand saw.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

To me, having a chainsaw that just starts up immediately when I pop a battery in for a few cuts is ideal. I need one so little I have a tough time getting myself to buy one. I cut down a couple 4" volunteers and used a hand saw.

This is primarily what I use a sawzall and pruning blade for, but a little battery saw would be even better.

I live on a wooded property so both gas saws get enough use and service that they just work.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Does anyone here use a mechanical reel mower? Are they a pain to use? The yard at our new place is too small to justify anything else.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EPICAC posted:

Does anyone here use a mechanical reel mower? Are they a pain to use? The yard at our new place is too small to justify anything else.

If your yard is smooth and doesn't have any rocks they work great. They cut really, really well when sharp - much nicer than spinning blades.

You will need to find some place that knows how to sharpen them though. It's not at all the same as regular blades. That being said, with a small yard you probably won't need to get them sharpened for years at a time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

EPICAC posted:

Are you already on a battery system that has a mower? I have a big yard and getting the $230 Ryobi 40V was a mistake but for a small yard it'd prob be great and is nice if you also already compost.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

EPICAC posted:

I have one for my end unit townhouse, works fine. Plan for it to take maybe twice as long as a push gas mower but if your lawn is small enough it doesn’t matter.

For sharpening, I got one of these and once a season keeps it in good shape.

e: this is what I have

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 11, 2021

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

EPICAC posted:

We have one for our tiny flat urban lot and it's fine. It does a really nice job cutting grass so our lawn always looks exceptionally healthy (due to the absence of chewed up dead ends - it's all clean slices).

Our model has a flywheel mechanism in it so it's a somewhat harder to push than a powered mower, especially when you first get it going, and it also doesn't do great on heavily overgrown grass (if that happens it helps to go over it with a weed whacker first to get extra tall stuff). Otherwise just mow regularly. One huge plus is that it's effectively silent so you can mow whenever you drat well please and not have to worry about disturbing the neighbors.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So, fully understanding that there are entire leather care systems out there

Having no time for proper leather care due to, well this is the home ownership thread, need I say more

Is there a good brand of leather cleaning wipes out there? I've been using this "gentle/biodegradable" spray because well, it's been an emergency and the couch is the only good place to sit because my wife absolutely had to buy a couch that's 50% too big for the room but that's another story and I'm not at all bitter about, but, uh, anyways looking for some cleaning wipes that are leather safe

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Thanks all, sounds like I’ll go with one. The yard is probably around 300 ft^2, so anything else would be overkill.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Hadlock posted:

So, fully understanding that there are entire leather care systems out there

Having no time for proper leather care due to, well this is the home ownership thread, need I say more

Is there a good brand of leather cleaning wipes out there? I've been using this "gentle/biodegradable" spray because well, it's been an emergency and the couch is the only good place to sit because my wife absolutely had to buy a couch that's 50% too big for the room but that's another story and I'm not at all bitter about, but, uh, anyways looking for some cleaning wipes that are leather safe

Get yourself some Leather Honey, assuming your couch is genuine cow hide. Stuff is magic.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

NomNomNom posted:

Get yourself some Leather Honey, assuming your couch is genuine cow hide. Stuff is magic.

I’ve also had great experiences with this stuff

It’s not wipes, and does need time to air dry/seep into the leather, but it’s amazing how well it works.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StormDrain posted:

I just finished installing this and it's great! Thank you. I had it on the wifi in a couple of minutes. My complaints, it's big, like they all are, so you've got to arrange the wire to fit it.

Yeah, the biggest downside to smart switches is how deep they are and how a big pain in the rear end they are to install into crowded boxes. I have a couple in 4 gang boxes and they are tough to work with.

I have started swapping out the wire nuts for Wago connectors on any box that I install a smart switch into. I’ve found that I can lay them flat on the back or sides of the box easier and it makes repositioning the wires a little easier.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have a recommendation for an indoor camera to keep an eye on things while away? The recent storms had me wondering how our house was faring and it would be nice to check in on it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I usually recommend a cheap Wyze camera. They run $30 and they're just a basic, cheap no frills camera that's perfect for checking in on stuff.

Blink and TP-Link make some cheap ones too but I don't have any experience with those.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My dad has used blink inside and Logitech outside, and I've used tp link inside. The only real issue is that the older Logitech are really picky about wifi signal. I use the tp link ones for checking the garage door and checking on the cats when we used to travel

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just a reminder that any internet connected cameras in your home can be accessed by a wide range of people outside of your home: the company that makes them, the hackers that break in to those companies (intermittent obviously), and law enforcement. Check out shodan if you think I'm crazy.

I would give the same advice as I give in the NAS thread: prevent them from accessing the internet, setup remote access via a VPN.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sweeper posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an indoor camera to keep an eye on things while away? The recent storms had me wondering how our house was faring and it would be nice to check in on it

Maybe also consider some connected water sensors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The bastards who put up the backsplash I hate ran it too far into the electrical boxes so I had to cut and break stone to install a GFI.

Oh and also this weekend was when I realized I didn't have GFI protection in the kitchen.

And that I have four outlet circuits in the kitchen. One of them seems to only power one outlet. I'm happy for this, but so confused. My 3 bathrooms, back deck, and garage share one circuit. Spread the love!

So I also need to buy three more GFI outlets while I'm at it. I'd like to rip off the backsplash that I hate but the whole kitchen is terrible so that's a waste since I'll be in it again before too long.

Oh and that single outlet on a circuit, it did have a wire going out of it to another device but I couldn't figure out where it went to, so I left it disconnected... That'll probably be inconvenient for me to discover later.