Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Grand Gigas posted:

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-343

I hate this one so loving much.

Edit: it’s the one that’s “God.”
There are now several newer SCPs that execute the same idea in more compelling ways, I think this one just gets by on nostalgia and inertia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

WITCHCRAFT posted:

That's exactly why I asked. Was wondering how others felt about it since several people replied to the link without mentioning it at all.

After reading the whole thing, I assumed there would be strong feelings but nobody even brought it up.

It's a central point of character development in that one. You can't miss it.

I thought it was pretty reasonable, although I found 6080 mostly to be okay (clearly a labor of love, but rough around the edges, and the ending has that weird wanky "watch my OCs fight" feeling going on). I think it helps that 6080's sexual assault analogy actually makes sense for the SCP and their history and is clear without being excessively elaborated on; a lot of the other articles with lovely rape-horror have it thrown in because it's just the grossest thing the writer can think of, or because the author just wants an excuse to write it and kind of spackles in the rest.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grand Gigas posted:

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-343

I hate this one so loving much.

Edit: it’s the one that’s “God.”

Religious scp's are always terrible unless there is a subversion. Plenty of writers have done good stuff with 343 but the article itself is dogshit

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Hodgepodge posted:

You could probably have some fun with the Foundation trying to figure out if its an anomaly they should contain somehow, or a (relatively) ordinary discovery they should publish.

"Alright, so we got some sort of... fossil fish? Dino fish? Swimming around Argentina. A cole... co-el? Coler..."

"A coelacanth, sir. They were believed to have gone extinct 66 million years ago, but one was discovered-"

"Right, the coriander. So what are we looking at, here? Time warp? Dimension shift? Resurrection? Cloning? Robot? Alien? Alien robot?? Retro-active causality? Reality changer? ...a drat ghost?"

"Nnnno, sir, it appears to just... be a fish. That we thought were all gone, but there were actually some left. Completely non-anomalous."

"Huh. First time for everything."

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I got to this article, from, I think, the Kenowhere one. Which I had read before. And I read it again like the post said. And I fully enjoyed it again. It's a really good one. Read it.

Anyway, remember that guy in your high school/young adult friend group that loved Monty Python and the Holy Grail and/or Flying Circus? And they would start quoting it at random and other people in the group would go along with the lines? That individual is a cognitohazard SCP. If you never knew a person like that the article probably loses some of its punch. A Møøse once bit my sister etc.

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-2476

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I knew there was something off about theater kids

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Regarde Aduck posted:

Religious scp's are always terrible unless there is a subversion.
Unrelatedly,
https://twitter.com/tszzl/status/1428524898687676416?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man you're gonna have to do so much jacking off to recharge the crystals to fight allah.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

OwlFancier posted:

Man you're gonna have to do so much jacking off to recharge the crystals to fight allah.

you wanna take a swing at the top raid boss, you're gonna have to grind

e: Islam is of course patriarchal in practice (although this is probably a simplification since it's also a pretty huge religion geographically and demographically), but it seems clear to an admittedly google-level knowledge that Allah is referred to as "he" grammatically, but is conceptually actually neither male, female, or even gender-neutral; it seems that applying human concepts of gender and sexual biology to Allah is considered a theological mistake in Islam.

e2: so you're basically calling Allah "He" strictly for magical purposes; you really want to understand that you're not summoning like some guy on a throne here; you're not even supposed to see "Him" until the Day of Judgement.

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Aug 21, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
AITA for listening to worm music?

Recently I discovered worm music and i’m addicted to it. I listen to it all the time. I introduced some of my friends to worm music and they all love it too. The only person who doesn’t like it is my mom. when i put on worm music in the car she calls it gay and retarded and “not even music” After that I just decided to not play worm music in the car. Fast forward a few days and I was in my room playing worm music really loud. The thing about worm music is that when it’s loud it’s not really loud. My mom was across the house and she went over to the kitchen to get a drink and then she heard my worm music. She stormed into my room and screamed at me to turn it off.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
What a scumbag.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

...what the gently caress is "worm music"?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkDolOm2UlY

e: I know, I know, I just wanted an excuse to post this

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

you wanna take a swing at the top raid boss, you're gonna have to grind

e: Islam is of course patriarchal in practice (although this is probably a simplification since it's also a pretty huge religion geographically and demographically), but it seems clear to an admittedly google-level knowledge that Allah is referred to as "he" grammatically, but is conceptually actually neither male, female, or even gender-neutral; it seems that applying human concepts of gender and sexual biology to Allah is considered a theological mistake in Islam.

e2: so you're basically calling Allah "He" strictly for magical purposes; you really want to understand that you're not summoning like some guy on a throne here; you're not even supposed to see "Him" until the Day of Judgement.

the baby witches are going to kick themselves when they read this

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The knockout blow was going back to the top of the image after finishing and reading what subreddit it's from.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I wonder what it feels like to honestly believe that you fought at deity in single combat and barely survived

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty cool, I would imagine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Glancing at the rest of the subreddit, I think we might have gotten Poe's Law-ed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Edit: Always cool to see a new short article actually do well.

girl dick energy has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Sep 5, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

girl dick energy posted:

There are now several newer SCPs that execute the same idea in more compelling ways, I think this one just gets by on nostalgia and inertia.

Maize Angel is a good one. And when you think about it, if you've ever paid taxes in the United States, you're definitely going to heaven.

Mazerunner posted:

"Alright, so we got some sort of... fossil fish? Dino fish? Swimming around Argentina. A cole... co-el? Coler..."

"A coelacanth, sir. They were believed to have gone extinct 66 million years ago, but one was discovered-"

"Right, the coriander. So what are we looking at, here? Time warp? Dimension shift? Resurrection? Cloning? Robot? Alien? Alien robot?? Retro-active causality? Reality changer? ...a drat ghost?"

"Nnnno, sir, it appears to just... be a fish. That we thought were all gone, but there were actually some left. Completely non-anomalous."

"Huh. First time for everything."

The Explained series has several of these. Jurassic Symbiotic Quadruped. The Dowsing Rod. A Completely Normal Bomb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not perfect but I did quite enjoy https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-2719 as a short one that hits as you think about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It's not perfect but I did quite enjoy https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-2719 as a short one that hits as you think about it.
So, my understanding is that 2719 basically operates on Baba Is You rules?

And that means at the end, when the O5 tried to write “O5 is (inside) Transcendence”, the response part of the way through was for Transcendence to become Outside, which in Baba terms is like if a noun were to stop respecting the word “is.”

And the trick with 682 was just them trying to put 682 inside of itself so it’d eat itself/ turn inside out /disappear in a puff of logic. And this, as these things always tend to do with 682, worked very well right up until it didn’t.

girl dick energy has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Sep 6, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think so yes, it is ambiguous as to what the concept of "inside" means exactly but you can draw inferences based on the test results, such as a containment chamber going inside a person causes them to die but the scientist going inside the concept of O5 appears to make them O5-7 but does not make the rest of the O5s OK with this.

There is also the option that "outside" is also more literal than it might appear, as apparently somebody tried to use it to give dr bright the shits but it didn't work, though the doctor then ended up going "inside" the concept of intestinal distress which is equal parts confusing and unpleasant to think about.

It is ambiguous I think how much control they have over whether something becomes, or goes, inside, as the process is not specified and some of the test logs suggest it is uncontrolled, though perhaps towards the later tests they get more control over it.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Sep 6, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is rapidly getting a ton of +1s and it very much deserves them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

#14 D-91826 O5-12 As the last three tests were conducted without direct order from the Council and with catastrophic results, reality was restored to the state before test #12.

I'm confused about the 'last three tests'. Are we supposed to be reading in extra tests that aren't logged?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I'm confused about the 'last three tests'. Are we supposed to be reading in extra tests that aren't logged?

No, it's referring to the three tests immediately before that one. The ones performed by 05-12, who was then erased in order to undo their effects.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ariong posted:

No, it's referring to the three tests immediately before that one. The ones performed by 05-12, who was then erased in order to undo their effects.

he only did two tests, though, and one of them was a dud which didn't really have any effect

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tunicate posted:

he only did two tests, though,

Oh yeah, you're right. Must be a typo.

quote:

and one of them was a dud which didn't really have any effect

Yeah, but other one caused a complete rewrite of history and restructure of human civilization.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tunicate posted:

What extra tests? The Director wants to see you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/mightbecursed/status/1429381431185133572

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Score! That’s cheaper than a gallon of milk at the store

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/Vomit_Dragon/status/1436377836328128517

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This has some real "we live in a society" energy, like it could just be a AWCY with the goal of getting people to thiiiiink maaaaaan

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

This is like a warrant canary - if you see this sign in your area, keep an eye on it. If it comes down, you're no longer in an area.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Has AWCY improved since the start where all they did was banksy type “they call them smartphones... but they do not make us smart. We truly live in a society.” Stuff but with magic?
You really got the sense in the early ones that the writers didn’t really know much about art theory or history and as a result just made them caricatures of modern artists when there are a ton of more interesting routes they could have gone with

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Has AWCY improved since the start where all they did was banksy type “they call them smartphones... but they do not make us smart. We truly live in a society.” Stuff but with magic?
You really got the sense in the early ones that the writers didn’t really know much about art theory or history and as a result just made them caricatures of modern artists when there are a ton of more interesting routes they could have gone with

Not really. Gamers Against Weed has similar themes but done much better.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FrancisFukyomama posted:

No.
Correct.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Freudian posted:

This is like a warrant canary - if you see this sign in your area, keep an eye on it. If it comes down, you're no longer in an area.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

FrancisFukyomama posted:

some of the AWCY GOI format Project Proposal articles are good, they're a lot closer to how art patronage is sought irl

I can't remember what it is, but there's one that comments on the tendency for authors to make AWCY into pretentious nihilistic edgelords (which, tbf, is not an unreasonable takeaway from such as The Factory): an artist submits a proposal that's p much mortal body horror terror and blood sacrifice for no reason, and the patron's denial letter is like "come on. do better than this edgy schlock."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Chamale posted:

Not really. Gamers Against Weed has similar themes but done much better.

Yeah, GAW is AWCY but done properly, and with a bunch of awesome tales in the mix.