Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaU1VQwU-04

edit: as made famous by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5c_MEs9mo

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Aug 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
And ported to everyone's favorite buggy mess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQUYProzrk

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Fallout 4 feels like cheating in this thread, but seeing one of my settlers sleeping while sticking out of her bed at a 45 degree angle still made me smile.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Right at the end of Axiom Verge 2, after the credits if you get a certain completion percentage, is a hazy, glitchy cinematic of the player character in 'maybe the afterlife, maybe another dimension', finally meeting up with her estranged daughter. just as they're about to touch... the game crashes.

Or at least, it did for me the first time. That's apparently NOT how it's supposed to go. But holy poo poo did I buy it, Axiom Verge is exactly the game to pull something like that. That whole scene's full of visual glitches, why WOULDN'T it deliberately crash at a dramatically appropriate moment?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

William Bear posted:

Fallout 4 feels like cheating in this thread, but seeing one of my settlers sleeping while sticking out of her bed at a 45 degree angle still made me smile.

I've had things break like that occasionally. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1078777173

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

This is kind of preemptive, but Halo Infinite has grappling hooks. Apparently, you can grapple onto another player who is also grappling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBN_TNXFQlM

So I'm looking forward to absurd slingshots and infinite chains.

Thats cool as hell and they shouldnt change it

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The only other multiplayer game I can think of that let you mess around with grappling hooks this much was Tribes: Vengeance, and that was back in 2004.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Tombot posted:

The only other multiplayer game I can think of that let you mess around with grappling hooks this much was Tribes: Vengeance, and that was back in 2004.

There were some quake and half life mods that tried it, but yeah grappling hooks are a underutilized feature.

Batman doesn't count

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Zil posted:

There were some quake and half life mods that tried it, but yeah grappling hooks are a underutilized feature.

Batman doesn't count

The boring zippy grappling hooks are pretty common, ones you could control your winching are pretty rare.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tombot posted:

grappling and tying physics objects together in just cause 2 was really fun and i think at some point it got a (standalone?) multiplayer mod

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Attaching an enemy to a gas bottle and then shooting the valve off was never not hilarious in Just Cause 2.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Tombot posted:

ugh you just made me sad that the world never added the tribes skiing mechanics into all shooter games, it's so drat fun.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

ugh you just made me sad that the world never added the tribes skiing mechanics into all shooter games, it's so drat fun.

Also more games need the spinfusor.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Every game I play that has long slopes makes me long for Tribes style skiing.

The only game I can think of that lets you is Satisfactory where you can do a slide and you'll keep sliding as long as you're going downhill.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Zil posted:

Also more games need the spinfusor.

:hmmyes: Shazbot

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1433056380051759110

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
There's a youtuber who explores FromSoft games using hacks to look at how everything works behind the scenes. The videos are always just a couple minutes long and worth a watch if you like the series. This one covers the "shortcut" from striking the hindquarters of the undead dragon in the Painted World.

It's all due to how the game deals with a certain type of damage. What got me is that it also works on NPCs who really should not be reacting to the player because of being kinda dead at the time.

(timestamped to when you wake the dead)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHJpfYwhKs&t=83s

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's a youtuber who explores FromSoft games using hacks to look at how everything works behind the scenes. The videos are always just a couple minutes long and worth a watch if you like the series. This one covers the "shortcut" from striking the hindquarters of the undead dragon in the Painted World.

It's all due to how the game deals with a certain type of damage. What got me is that it also works on NPCs who really should not be reacting to the player because of being kinda dead at the time.

(timestamped to when you wake the dead)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHJpfYwhKs&t=83s

I love watching Zullie's videos. Here's a fun one from a couple of days ago. :siren:Flashing Lights warning to those who are sensitive:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh2f-W4lWWY

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Velocity Raptor posted:

I love watching Zullie's videos. Here's a fun one from a couple of days ago. :siren:Flashing Lights warning to those who are sensitive:siren:

The werewolf in the walls that can (and will) attack you if you enter its domain is Bloodborne as hell! :black101:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Velocity Raptor posted:

Strangely not even the only teleporting canines in Fromsoft games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4P82TRY_oY

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

- Fixed issue that would break the game if an underwater colony was scrapped and a zeppelin was mid air

Have to say that must have been a fun one to figure out.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

if i encountered this after the rem fight id think it was intentional

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's rad as hell and a game needs to do that on purpose now. The only other thing I can think of in a video game that even comes is the sans fight in undertale

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/MichaelMacaw/status/1402314573525389313

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

flavor.flv posted:

That's rad as hell and a game needs to do that on purpose now. The only other thing I can think of in a video game that even comes is the sans fight in undertale

I still have very fond memories of a little old game called Eternal Darkness...

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

DarkDobe posted:

I still have very fond memories of a little old game called Eternal Darkness...

I think there was something about how the creators of Eternal Darkness took out a patent on the reality-messing effects, and that's why it isn't used much.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The werehound of Tindalos strikes at those who linger in liminal spaces, prceivable only at the boundary between.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

evobatman posted:

I think there was something about how the creators of Eternal Darkness took out a patent on the reality-messing effects, and that's why it isn't used much.
I don't have any exact sources but it feels like this comes up in every dev discussion about sanity adjacent games and most of them say Eternal Darkness (and Metal Gear Solid's Psycho Mantis before it) could only ever work as a single bolt of lightning and/or its very much a product of the time. Specifically for the meta parts, because games like Bloodborne/certain parts of Souls, Control, Undertale, Nier Automata do get pretty weird in universe and presentation occasionally. Among other things we don't have nearly as narrow of a language of technology that lets you do a convincing volume, input source, or controller freak out.

I think Silicon Knights also reminisced about how they slammed Nintendo support with non-tech-savy, non-self-aware players calling about the game breaking their TV or thinking the spatial incongruences were bugs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This is so dumb but I can't stop laughing. He's so proud of how much that gift is worth :homebrew:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

how much that gift is worth :homebrew:
One thousand dollars.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is so dumb but I can't stop laughing. He's so proud of how much that gift is worth :homebrew:

I like how because it's playing all the different line variations, it sounds like he's trying to explain it to someone that just doesn't understand it by increasingly stressing the value.

"No you don't get it, it's one THOUSAND dollars"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zedprime posted:

Among other things we don't have nearly as narrow of a language of technology that lets you do a convincing volume, input source, or controller freak out.

The sky was the color of a tv tuned to a dead channel - a purplish smear covered in ads

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zedprime posted:

I don't have any exact sources but it feels like this comes up in every dev discussion about sanity adjacent games and most of them say Eternal Darkness (and Metal Gear Solid's Psycho Mantis before it) could only ever work as a single bolt of lightning and/or its very much a product of the time. Specifically for the meta parts, because games like Bloodborne/certain parts of Souls, Control, Undertale, Nier Automata do get pretty weird in universe and presentation occasionally. Among other things we don't have nearly as narrow of a language of technology that lets you do a convincing volume, input source, or controller freak out.
I can't remember if it was Saints Row 3 or 4, but one of them has a bit where it makes it look like your computer has crashed. I definitely thought it was legit for a moment, the first time I saw it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like how because it's playing all the different line variations, it sounds like he's trying to explain it to someone that just doesn't understand it by increasingly stressing the value.

"No you don't get it, it's one THOUSAND dollars"

More likely all the variations were recorded or edited into a single file for ease of handling, and the game would have the file to use with an offset and duration to play. One of the triggers probably has only the file name, so the entire thing is played.

Turns out the mysteries in life are mostly boring prattle.:)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

The sky was the color of a tv tuned to a dead channel - a purplish smear covered in ads

because of that line, it's funny to me that many modern tvs do a solid blue when they don't have a signal now

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alan Wake 2 looking good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Tiggum posted:

I can't remember if it was Saints Row 3 or 4, but one of them has a bit where it makes it look like your computer has crashed. I definitely thought it was legit for a moment, the first time I saw it.

I believe both do that, actually. It's just that 3 does it in a single cyberspace-focused mission, while 4's whole thing is cyberspace-focused so its playing with that is more spread-out.

And funnily enough, glitches are actually the one place where 'gently caress with you as the player' sanity effects would still work. And probably better than they used to, actually. Widespread mass common engine use of stuff like Unreal and Unity means that a lot of the vocabulary of glitches is more standardized; not only that, but the general gaming public is more familiar with that vocabulary now, so we can recognize stuff like t-posing, misaligned textures, value over/underflows, clipping out of bounds, stuff like that.

If I were a game developer today, I probably couldn't convince you that your TV was broken. But I could definitely convince you that your game is.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Sep 12, 2021

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I remember when I was playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and I got to that Scarecrow part where one of the reality-breaking effects it throws at you is making it look like the game has crashed. Except that the game actually had crashed a couple of times up to that point because it wasn't the most solid PC port, so I got awfully close to end-tasking the program and trying again.

In that vein, has any game every tried to deliberately do the kind of physics glitch (much like the gif above) where an object gets stuck inside something else and vibrates around violently before getting launched off into space with improbable force? I feel like it's so chaotic that it would be kind of hard to recreate believably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Saints Row 4 has a whole mission type dedicated to things spazzing out. You have to drive to a spot and defend it, and while you do,the game gets increasingly glitchier, with people and cars having misaligned parts, wrong colors, wrong sizes, sizes that change rapidly, wrong rotation points etc. Since it's intentional, a few of these missions are really hard, because its also moving enemy hitboxes around, so actually killing anything is harder than usual. Loads of fun there.