Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Whenever I’m scrolling through a thread, and there are youtube videos on the page, I keep on activating them accidentally while trying to scroll past them. Like, I’m using my thumb to flick up on the screen, to scroll down, but if I happen to do the flicking motion on a youtube video then it starts playing that video.

It’s not totally consistent…Sometimes doing the flick motion on a youtube video will just scroll the page, like normal. Other times it’ll scroll the page and start playing the video (after a slight delay so the video being played has already scrolled off the screen).

I tried changing up how I was scrolling but it didn’t seems to make a huge difference. A fast flick vs a slower, more deliberate movement was also inconsistent in when it would activate. Same with where on the screen I was doing this. Normally my thumb’s maybe around the right 1/3rd of the screen, so it’s not like I’m hitting the actual YouTube play icon in the middle of the embed.

I’m guessing it’s because if you tap anywhere on a youtube video, it’ll start playing, and my phone and/or the app is getting confused about whether I’m flicking or tapping on a given part of the screen. Could this be changed so that Youtube videos only play if you tap directly on the youtube icon in the center?

This is really only an issue on my phone. I also use Awful on my iPad but the scrolling there isn’t an issue because the screen’s wide enough that thumb isn’t anywhere near the videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have noticed the scrolling thing with YouTube videos too but I’ve also noticed it outside of the awful app so I think something either changed with safari (and thus the webview component) or with the YouTube player that lives in the page when embedded.

It’s super annoying.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, as far as I know we don't manually handle gestures on the web view, so fixing it in Awful might not be easy if even possible.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

And here I was just thinking it was my fingers getting fatter or something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Same, started happening after the most recent iOS update so it's almost certainly that.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

GutBomb posted:

I’ve also noticed it outside of the awful app so I think something either changed with safari (and thus the webview component) or with the YouTube player that lives in the page when embedded.

carry on then posted:

Yeah, as far as I know we don't manually handle gestures on the web view, so fixing it in Awful might not be easy if even possible.

Midjack posted:

Same, started happening after the most recent iOS update so it's almost certainly that.

Ah, gotcha. Oh well! Hopefully it’s something that iOS fixes eventually, then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t think it has any connection to an iOS update, it happens every now and again and eventually just goes away. It’s most likely down to Google messing with things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

And here I was just thinking it was my fingers getting fatter or something

Yeah same. Glad it’s not just me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is it me, or do YouTube videos in the app accidentally activate WAY more easily while scrolling now?

Ah, I see I'm not the only one.

Didn't it used to require actually pressing the Play triangle to activate?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 11, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wish there was a way to at least make the video play in the damned feed instead of fading to black and playing in its own window that requires closing before doing anything else in the Awful app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it's almost like being forced to allow third parties to arbitrarily inject whatever the gently caress they want into any page in order to embed a video or tweet sucks dick

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This may be too niche an ask, but would it be possible to have a “feed” view for threads? I’m specifically thinking of GDT or other time specific threads that have folks reacting to and posting about events as they happen. It would be sweet to just have things flow by as they come in instead of refreshing every few seconds to see if new takes are in.

Totally get if it’s not worth the effort.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

carry on then posted:

it's almost like being forced to allow third parties to arbitrarily inject whatever the gently caress they want into any page in order to embed a video or tweet sucks dick

Google sucks :sigh:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i, also, have started having videos play during scroll attempts in the past few days. hope this helps

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*bustles into thread* hey guess what I just recently noticed happening

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This post (by BlankSystemDaemon) is interesting: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750534&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=350#post517661073

For me, the video in the quote triggers play-on-scroll, but the 3 others in the post proper don’t. I wonder what the difference is, and if we could transform the former structure to the latter.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

This post (by BlankSystemDaemon) is interesting: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750534&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=350#post517661073

For me, the video in the quote triggers play-on-scroll, but the 3 others in the post proper don’t. I wonder what the difference is, and if we could transform the former structure to the latter.

Seems to happen to me with all the videos.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

carry on then posted:

lol yeah

I’ve had this issue myself for many months and I think the only real options within our power are:

1. Play with the iframe parameters. Maybe there’s a magic combination that sorts it. This “YouTube iframe api” does get regular updates, so maybe? It’s a long shot, since this is more of an error than a configuration issue, I think

2. Handle iframes similarly to gifs that don’t auto play. ie don’t embed the iframe until pressed. I think this would be more annoying than the actual issue cuz it wouldnt work the way everyone expects (press to embed the iframe, then press again to play) and I don’t think we’d get a preview image the way that we get the first frame of gifs. So it’d be a custom icon/frame/something, which would be a step down from current

Hopefully google just fixes it or we stumble across a decent way to mitigate it. I’m personally not gonna chase this one right now, but I’m always keeping an eye open for fixes to old issues :)

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Warbird posted:

This may be too niche an ask, but would it be possible to have a “feed” view for threads? I’m specifically thinking of GDT or other time specific threads that have folks reacting to and posting about events as they happen. It would be sweet to just have things flow by as they come in instead of refreshing every few seconds to see if new takes are in.

Totally get if it’s not worth the effort.

The issue with this one is pulling those new posts from the server. There are lots of awfulapp users (I imagine. In my head. When I break something) and it’d be no good to have them all constantly making automated network requests to fetch new posts.

If the site itself started offering this, we’d be good to go. Until then, I don’t think we should do this (or anything similar. I’ve had similar ideas lol) before we have a good way to rate limit automated fetches. And we run that by the site admins before releasing anything along those lines.

Just my thoughts, hope my posts don’t come across as any kind of official word. I’m just a recent minor contributor lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Diabolik900 posted:

Seems to happen to me with all the videos.

Well fine then.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

commie kong posted:

The issue with this one is pulling those new posts from the server. There are lots of awfulapp users (I imagine. In my head. When I break something) and it’d be no good to have them all constantly making automated network requests to fetch new posts.

If the site itself started offering this, we’d be good to go. Until then, I don’t think we should do this (or anything similar. I’ve had similar ideas lol) before we have a good way to rate limit automated fetches. And we run that by the site admins before releasing anything along those lines.

Just my thoughts, hope my posts don’t come across as any kind of official word. I’m just a recent minor contributor lol

You've got it right. It's definitely been requested before and I think pokeyman has been in favor it but it's exactly like you said, we've always been hesitant about doing things that would massively increase the load on the servers and even recently we've been asked by Jeffery to prefer letting the site handle features outside enabling mobile use. So it'd just be a lot easier to do and feel good about if the site gave us the tools and blessing to go do it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

And just like that, the YouTube issue seems to have gone away for me. It’s not the first time this particular issue has come and gone, and I’m sure it won’t be the last.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is there a way to turn sigs on or off?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Is there a way to turn sigs on or off?

That's handled by the usercp on the website.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

commie kong posted:

No you’re good. I figured something like that was the case but didn’t know if there was some quirk in the way the app does its thing that would enable such a thing without melting the servers.

While I’m thinking of it, does SA have an API? I had the vague notion that the app is largely a browser type affair that scrapes in the target page and does some CSS wizardry and lord knows what else so we can shitpost.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Warbird posted:

No you’re good. I figured something like that was the case but didn’t know if there was some quirk in the way the app does its thing that would enable such a thing without melting the servers.

While I’m thinking of it, does SA have an API? I had the vague notion that the app is largely a browser type affair that scrapes in the target page and does some CSS wizardry and lord knows what else so we can shitpost.

I'm pretty sure they're working on it but all there is right now is a JSON endpoint for the list of forums. Everything else is either moustache templates to bang the HTML into position, our own custom CSS files, and a decent pile of JS and Swift/JS interop for the posts page or manual scraping in Swift for thread lists etc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The YouTubes are still doing it for me, it’s so weird.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:same:

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I think I have a fix.

It seems that YouTube treats us better if it thinks we’re using MacOS Chrome.

I’m feeding a custom user agent into the webview and can’t reproduce the issue while it’s in place. If I comment it out, issue comes back. I tested this back and forth multiple times, so I am truly unlucky if this isn’t actually a fix.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Sometimes when I scroll through a thread I accidentally start playing a YouTube video. I think this has gotten more sensitive recently (6-12 months). I use a iPad mini 4. Anything he else see this?

edit: I don't even remember posting this and I thought it was just me so I'll just say me too please fix it if you can if not that's okay too. I love the app

mlnhd fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 15, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Scroll up friend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Scroll up friend.

It's safe, there are no videos on this page! :v:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m going to get fired if YouTubes don’t stop auto playing whenever I touch near them them.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

turn your monitor on speakers off

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I haven’t once had the issue since applying my fix, so hopefully pokeyman approves and does a new beta.

It also seems to make YouTube playback controls load consistently (as opposed to native controls that are sometimes missing options)

It’s odd that this is flaring up for people right now. I’ve had the problem a while, but I also have multiple versions of the app installed, all in various states of hosed with

Here are my fix notes, for those interested:

quote:

Custom user agent for webview: MacOS Chrome agent fixes youtube embed issues

Validated this by:

Testing multiple times between the MacOS Chrome user agent and no user agent. Issue reliably occurred without any user agent, while never occurring with this change.

Tried the latest iOS Safari user agent, as maybe the lack of ANY user agent could be the issue (and the Chrome user agent may not be what's fixing it.) However, the issue occurred with this agent value.

Tried the latest iOS Chrome user agent. As maybe it IS due to Chrome being favoured. However, the issue also occurred with this agent value. Seems more of a Mobile vs Desktop issue.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Is fudging the user agent going to fail app review? And/or have other unexpected side effects rendering other content (twitter? other embeds?)

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Not sure about app review, but Twitter has been fine for me. I tested rotating my phone while a Twitter embedded video was playing and it didn’t exit like it used to.

But then I tried that in the current beta version and it also worked - so my thing didn’t fix that. But it didn’t hurt it either :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shortspecialbus posted:

Is fudging the user agent going to fail app review? And/or have other unexpected side effects rendering other content (twitter? other embeds?)

Mostof the history of User-Agent headers is gentle impersonation of another browser whose content you want, so I will laugh exceptionally hard if they bounce the app for that.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Most of the app review failure reasons I've ever heard tend to be really pedantic, inane, or just blatantly foolish. But it may not matter, was just asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There is a large luck factor, it’s true.

My team at work once accidentally submitted builds of exactly the same code a few times in a row and got back different rejections each time until the last one when it was accepted.