Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey all, I have a 2017 GTI Mk7 with 73k miles on it. The turbo has given out, and I’m wondering if this might not be the time to pull the trigger on the upgrades I’ve been wanting to do for a few years now.

My thought is:

- replace stock IS20 (now dead) with IS38
- replace stock downpipe with a 3” catted pipe
- add Stage 2+ tune

I’m a handy person, but have little experience working on my car and don’t have the time to figure out how to do the parts install myself, so I think my two options are:

- buy the parts and get a local shop to install them
- go to a specialty shop (DAP and BFI are both driving distance from my house) and pay them for parts and labor

The dealer quoted me $2000 to install a new OEM IS20; I’m estimating that getting the above done would be about twice that…right?

edit: but I suppose it would ALSO require a clutch upgrade, which would add, what, $1500? Sheesh.

Alternatively, I am also wondering if I could do ONLY the IS38 turbo upgrade now and keep everything else as-is. I know it won’t get the performance gains, but assuming the software is in place it will still run…right?

In the meantime, though—is this thing safe to drive with a non-functioning turbo or do I need to replace it ASAP? The service dept rep at the dealer didn’t seem to think it would be a problem, but I’m seeing mixed messages elsewhere.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I wouldn't swap a different turbo without some sort of tune to compensate. Can try going without the clutch for now and see how long it lasts then replace it later. If this isn't your only car then it's probably an ok idea.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Wondering if another option would be to have an independent shop rebuild your IS20 turbo.

But if you've always wanted to go Stage 3, and don't mind sinking that kind of money in a VW with that many miles already, it could be a good time. But yeah to get all out of the new turbo it's a lot of coin, I think an intercooler is also recommended, along with cold air if you don't already have.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
IS38 upgrade is a big increase in power. Do you already have a tune on the IS20? If not I'd probably just see if I could find a used IS20 and throw that in and do stage 1+ tune instead. These cars can make a lot of power but honestly anything over 300hp at the wheels is wasted because it can't put it down unless you are already going a good clip. Also big power works better on DSG cars for the same reason. Even with a new clutch the manuals struggle hard to get that power down smoothly.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It has no tune yet—no mods of any kind besides a new shift knob in fact. I never really thought of going for more than a Stage 2/2+ tune, and I take y’all’s point about diminishing returns of 300+hp as well. Plus, this is my daily driver and I’m not going to take it to a track or anything.

I see FCP Euro has a new IHI IS20 for $856 with a lifetime warranty, whereas used ones look like they’re about … $600ish. I plan to keep this car another five years, so maybe it’s worth the premium for the warranty? (Crucially, I also need it done by next week so my wife and I don’t have to keep sharing her car.)

How about—get a local independent shop to install a working IS20 and 3” downpipe, then do the tune myself when I get the chance?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
If you are putting on a downpipe you need to tune the car along with it. Might be worth giving DAP a call and seeing if they can hook you up.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Anyone have a DCC adjustable ride or whatever option, how much difference does that make? Looking at difference in SE vs Autobahn Mk7.5 GTIs and that is one of the features I would care about. And the stereo.

Apollodorus posted:

(Crucially, I also need it done by next week so my wife and I don’t have to keep sharing her car.)

If the labor market there is anything like my area this will significantly limit your options.

I recently needed basic service and diagnose multiple error lights(was just another ABS/speed sensor going out). My usual VW mechanic was on vacation and the dealership couldn't even look at it for a couple weeks. Luckily found another local import shop to do it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have DCC and it actually makes a big difference, I can tell switching between comfort and sport, I usually just leave it on the most conformable setting. The 2019 models and maybe 2018 came with a package called the experience package that added DCC (As well as the Fender audio) to the SE.

It should be noted that having DCC makes it harder to lower since you can't just add coilovers, not a big deal to me since that doesn't interest me.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 31, 2021

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Styles Bitchley posted:

If the labor market there is anything like my area this will significantly limit your options.

I recently needed basic service and diagnose multiple error lights(was just another ABS/speed sensor going out). My usual VW mechanic was on vacation and the dealership couldn't even look at it for a couple weeks. Luckily found another local import shop to do it.

Thankfully it's nowhere near that bad here. I got the dealer to look at it, then took it to an independent mechanic for a second opinion today.

Ideally they'll be able to rebuild the turbo, but if not, I can get them to replace it AND do the upgrades and tune.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Apollodorus posted:

Thankfully it's nowhere near that bad here. I got the dealer to look at it, then took it to an independent mechanic for a second opinion today.

Ideally they'll be able to rebuild the turbo, but if not, I can get them to replace it AND do the upgrades and tune.

So caveat here is I am inferring a bit of knowledge on the GTI from having a 2.0L Turbo in my last car (Focus) but in that world and the GTI world is kind of similar, upgrading to a bigger turbo is pretty much the end game of all of your other mods. After you've done tune, intercooler, intake, exhaust, tune, clutch/dsg tuning....I get the "while you're in there" instinct if the Turbo is coming off anyhow, but FWD cars are pretty miserable over 300hp as other folks have said and my Focus I didn't feel it needed more power once it had just a simple software tune on it. Jumping from stock to Big Turbo setup is going to be a pretty drastic (and fairly expensive) series of mods

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The one thing the bigger turbo (IS38) does I hear is keep giving power at higher RPMs while the IS20 really tapers off above 4500rpm, in fact. I think the IS38 has less boost at lower RPMs. So the launch isn't going to be any better for the most part, but it will fill in some weak spots. You're right though that getting all the other hardware first should be a priority before the big turbo.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Right, I am NOT going to get the bigger turbo because, honestly, there is a .1% chance I will ever drive the car in a way that would use its power.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

intheflesh posted:

What engine is in the Q? Oil changes are super easy on this platform in my opinion, and unless you've lowered it, you don't have to jack up the car to get to the drain plug.

That’s a good question actually. I didn’t give it much mind as the wife doesn’t care and I have the GTI for, you know, a pleasurable driving experience; though the Q has been nice. No mods on it, it cost enough already thanks.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Well a bit over a month after having my right front headlight in my 16 GTI replaced under warranty, due to water/moisture ingress, the same exact thing happened. The cars warranty is up, though I'm hopeful that because it's the same part that was replaced is defective now, that they'll cover the cost rather than me having to shell out around 1.4k usd to replace it.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Well a bit over a month after having my right front headlight in my 16 GTI replaced under warranty, due to water/moisture ingress, the same exact thing happened. The cars warranty is up, though I'm hopeful that because it's the same part that was replaced is defective now, that they'll cover the cost rather than me having to shell out around 1.4k usd to replace it.

Do you get the xenons where you are? Mine have been steamy in certain conditions since I took delivery in March 16, apparently it’s normal.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

monkeytennis posted:

Do you get the xenons where you are? Mine have been steamy in certain conditions since I took delivery in March 16, apparently it’s normal.

Yeah, though this is the second time the "check daytime running lights" and "check adaptive headlights" have come up as warnings. The previous headlight assembly and control module was replaced under warranty.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
The independent shop where I took my '17 GTI confirmed what I had suspected, but the VW dealership didn't notice--the car needs new brake rotors and pads. They also gave a much more thorough rundown of the turbo issue than the dealership, maybe because both mechanics drive GTIs themselves?

In any case, I don't think a Stage 2 is going to be in the budget now so I'm looking at Stage 1/1+ since there's no need for a downpipe. I'd rather get something I can control myself, so I guess either Cobb or Unitronic -- any reason to go with one over the other?

edit: in case it wasn't clear above, I have the 6-speed manual transmission so no TCU tune, just ECU.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
If you have a tuner that can give you a custom tune on the accessport get that. If you are just doing off the shelf tune go with unitronic.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
What about Cobb + EQT? I’m seeing some good reviews there, and the cost for the two together is less than Unitronic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GabbiLB posted:

If you have a tuner that can give you a custom tune on the accessport get that. If you are just doing off the shelf tune go with unitronic.

Also not all tuners are good, make sure you're going to a place people love and have to wait for an appointment at. I had an aftermarket ECU that needed a dynotune on my STI and the first shop's tune was so bad it would barely run in the cold and would stall under highway driving conditions.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Removed the clutch spring from my GTI and good lord it feels so much more intuitive to shift now and I like the car more for it for sure. Thirty seconds and a pair of pliers, I'm a car modder now time to start my YouTube channel :smuggo:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

Removed the clutch spring from my GTI and good lord it feels so much more intuitive to shift now and I like the car more for it for sure. Thirty seconds and a pair of pliers, I'm a car modder now time to start my YouTube channel :smuggo:

Wait, what year? I hate the clutch feel in my 07.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

teh_Broseph posted:

Nice, sounds like you've got enough content there already for 2-3 hour long videos!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

Wait, what year? I hate the clutch feel in my 07.

Mine's a 20, and tried some googling for mk5 clutch spring and wasn't coming up with anything so no idea if yours has it or not. If you wanna take a look in yours hopefully it'd be the same, here's a video where you can see someone taking it out, was just right there and easy to see and pop out didn't have to do anything to get to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZgt8Y34neo&t=111s

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

God I want to trade in my GTI for a R (I get invoice price less $500 through work) but man do I not love what they’ve done to the gauges and controls.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Warbird posted:

God I want to trade in my GTI for a R (I get invoice price less $500 through work) but man do I not love what they’ve done to the gauges and controls.

I'm curious what GTI/Rs will end up going for in the real world. I was super tempted by the Golf R at one point. The price difference is easier to justify at MSRP. When Rs are at MSRP while GTIs were selling for thousands below though, that becomes harder.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I just removed the clutch spring and CDV on my '15 TDI Sportwagen, big improvement.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How horrible do you guys think this coilover kit by ECS would be? It's 36% off, my car has 140,000 kms and I'm fairly sure now that my clunking is a strut top mount/bearing. I don't want to pay to pull out 140k used shocks and put them back in if I could run something else.

Other options? I've used a few different coilover systems in the past. I wouldn't mind a small drop (that kit is around 1.4" minimum) and the 36% off really has caught my eye. I'm used to spending around $1200 but I have previously used cheaper kits and honestly I found them no different. I drove my friend's skyline with bilsteins and they felt great but I think he spent $3000 or so on them, also drove an S2000 with custom Ohlins struts that was about the same price and they felt better but not really that much better than the 'j-sport' $700 struts on my drift car at the time.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 11, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

VelociBacon posted:

How horrible do you guys think this coilover kit by ECS would be? It's 36% off, my car has 140,000 kms and I'm fairly sure now that my clunking is a strut top mount/bearing. I don't want to pay to pull out 140k used shocks and put them back in if I could run something else.

Other options? I've used a few different coilover systems in the past. I wouldn't mind a small drop (that kit is around 1.4" minimum) and the 36% off really has caught my eye. I'm used to spending around $1200 but I have previously used cheaper kits and honestly I found them no different. I drove my friend's skyline with bilsteins and they felt great but I think he spent $3000 or so on them, also drove an S2000 with custom Ohlins struts that was about the same price and they felt better but not really that much better than the 'j-sport' $700 struts on my drift car at the time.

I wouldn't buy anything from ECS with someone else's credit card.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

I wouldn't buy anything from ECS with someone else's credit card.

Why is that? :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

They are a shell of what was ECS. The guys that started it in Wadsworth sold it several years ago to a company that has trashed their service and reliability.

I could detail it, but this article does a pretty good job: https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-screwing-buyers-what-went-wrong-a-1827474482

Since then, they've absorbed more companies, the most recent I know if is Rennline.

Note that ECS was my shop of choice when I lived locally and they were still a one-location shop called Euro-Car Service. I had a good relationship with the father and both the sons. I'm glad they blew their business up in size, I'm just sad about what happened after they cashed out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh, no.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I ordered a new ignition cylinder for my GTI and ECS sent 6(!) I only ever got charged for one.
gently caress 'em I never let them know they made a mistake.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

You might consider looking at FCPEuro and/or RockAuto for new struts and mounts. FCPEuro has some kits, but none that include springs: https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volkswagen-parts/GTI/Suspension-Kits/?year=2006&m=20&e=975&t=6&b=8&d=701&v=

My understanding is you shouldn't need to replace the springs unless they break or unless you do want to lower the car. It does complicate the replacement process having to rebuild them, but it's doable with even fairly rudimentary spring compressors.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

poo poo I ordered brakes off them last year and they sent completely the wrong parts. I figured it was just a fluke (they did correct it when I called). Had no idea that had happened

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

They are a shell of what was ECS. The guys that started it in Wadsworth sold it several years ago to a company that has trashed their service and reliability.

I could detail it, but this article does a pretty good job: https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-screwing-buyers-what-went-wrong-a-1827474482

Since then, they've absorbed more companies, the most recent I know if is Rennline.

Note that ECS was my shop of choice when I lived locally and they were still a one-location shop called Euro-Car Service. I had a good relationship with the father and both the sons. I'm glad they blew their business up in size, I'm just sad about what happened after they cashed out.

Ah gotcha. I ordered some stuff from them last year and didn't have issues. Didn't realize they changed ownership.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VelociBacon posted:

If you really want to lower it then I'd buy something more well known that won't sacrifice ride quality as much (always a trade off when lowering). If you don't really care then just but some quick struts. Every time I've ever cheaped out on suspension I've regretted it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Got an oil issue with a 2020 RS3 with only 10k miles bought brand new.

It leaks from the bevel box and it has been in the shop 4 different times with seals, hardware, and even a new bevel box. Still leaks.

This time the dealership says it’s an innermost seal and they need to order a special tool to install it.

Anyone else have this issue or have tips? Or say gently caress it and :sever:?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dialhforhero posted:

Anyone else have this issue or have tips? Or say gently caress it and :sever:?

Well, the AI Stupid Questions thread is currently full of people (myself included) talking about all the issues they've had with VAG products and how they still love them, so I don't think anyone will suggest to :sever:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Uthor posted:

Well, the AI Stupid Questions thread is currently full of people (myself included) talking about all the issues they've had with VAG products and how they still love them, so I don't think anyone will suggest to :sever:.

Problems are VAG cars' love language.