Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel like so many of the modern CRPGs lean so hard into the gods and I find it really tiresome. D:OS, POE, sounds like this game... I think I prefer stories that are a little more grounded. Kind of like the whole boat thing. It felt like every CRPG that came out had to include a boat as a main plot/mechanic.

You're right honestly it's pretty bullshit, no precedent for it or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If anything more CRPGs and video games in general should have boats.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

now im imagining an atheist pangaea rpg

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Ever since Black Flag led to nothing but a perpetually delayed multiplayer game that will probably go nowhere if it ever actually releases we have been sorely deprived of games with sailing boats.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Ever since Black Flag led to nothing but a perpetually delayed multiplayer game that will probably go nowhere if it ever actually releases we have been sorely deprived of games with sailing boats.

I am still so mad that Naval Action turned from a perfectly fine World of Tanks Sailboats style game into a tedious, empty, open-world MMO. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kibayasu posted:

SID. MEIR'S. PIRATES!.
Just give me a new one already. I'll take a spiritual successor just as happily. :negative:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

let me date the boats

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Funky Valentine posted:

Games based on Pathfinder should be fine with that, since one of the highest level spells is Salvage:
"An invisible force pulls together the remains of a shipwreck. Bits of hull, tattered sails, broken masts, and smashed figureheads knit themselves back together. Rotten wood turns solid once more, and sails re-weave themselves as the rigging snakes across the masts.

It takes a variable amount of time for the ship to rebuild itself, depending on its size.
Size Duration
Raft 1 minute
Rowboat 1 minute
Keelboat 10 minutes
Longship 1 hour
Sailing ship 2 hours
Warship 3 hours
Galleon 4 hours"

:monocle:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Having a problem with my Xbox 360 controller on Steam. Starting intermittently a week ago and increasingly today, Steam isn't seeing any input from the Y axis of my left analog stick.

The controller works in other programs; I can have Xpadder loaded at the same time and the stick is clearly detecting.

I've tried going into Big Picture > Settings > Controller and enabling/disabling the various support options. I've tried restarting Steam, the controller, the PC. I've disconnected both the controller and the dongle.

I'm not sure what else to do and I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Wanted to recommend a new game, best game out of the recent ones I've gotten easily. The Artful Escape

Doesn't have a ton going in terms of gameplay, although there are minor platforming sections and moments where you have to copy parts of songs. But god drat, this game is just an absolute feast for the eyes and ears, has an engaging narrative and great characters. The art in this game is easily some of the best I've ever seen, their blending of 2D and 3D is done in a certain way that is just gorgeous. And the music is amazing too and a big part of the story. Honestly a bit surprised I haven't seen people talking about it much, maybe because it's almost 20 bucks? But it is absolutely worth it, this game has an incredible style all its own.

Anyone who likes music, good art and/or remotely enjoys narrative games with minor gameplay should check it out.

Kibayasu posted:

Whatever happened to that pirate/naval combat game where a bunch had to be made in Singapore due to a deal that Ubisoft struck but basically everything went wrong with it? Is that the one you're talking about?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

SID. MEIR'S. PIRATES!.
Just give me a new one already. I'll take a spiritual successor just as happily. :negative:

King of Seas came out recently and it’s heavily influenced by Sid Meier’s Pirates!

Unfortunately it’s bad.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jack B Nimble posted:

Having a problem with my Xbox 360 controller on Steam. Starting intermittently a week ago and increasingly today, Steam isn't seeing any input from the Y axis of my left analog stick.

The controller works in other programs; I can have Xpadder loaded at the same time and the stick is clearly detecting.

I've tried going into Big Picture > Settings > Controller and enabling/disabling the various support options. I've tried restarting Steam, the controller, the PC. I've disconnected both the controller and the dongle.

I'm not sure what else to do and I'm getting a bit frustrated.

For whatever it is worth, every single USB wired Xbox 360 controller I have worn down over the years has had the exact same issue showing their age.

The left stick starts getting wonky. Though usually "Dead zone is hosed even a console game will have you constantly trying to slowly walk to the left and precision indie platforming on PC will be SUPER hosed" grade rather than the stick not working at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Play posted:

Whatever happened to that pirate/naval combat game where a bunch had to be made in Singapore due to a deal that Ubisoft struck but basically everything went wrong with it? Is that the one you're talking about?

Maybe? I don’t know any of the details but I’m talking about Skull & Bones (which was the name last I heard).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel like so many of the modern CRPGs lean so hard into the gods and I find it really tiresome. D:OS, POE, sounds like this game... I think I prefer stories that are a little more grounded. Kind of like the whole boat thing. It felt like every CRPG that came out had to include a boat as a main plot/mechanic.

PoE2, despite being extremely about gods, is very grounded. It helps that they've given them all motivations and character that isn't just a shallow "I stand for Concept X, and I am omnipotent except when the plot demands I'm not."

It also avoids the DnD trope of player power growing so much in the endgame that they become gods.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Webbed was fun for a few hours but after being simultaneously presented with about the 13th, 14th, and 15th consecutive instance of "try to swing around a cog that's heavier than you are, suspended from your butt by a thread, to fling it into a nook in the ceiling" :shepicide: I turned the game off and I'm not sure I'm ever going to launch it again.

I've heard of rear end in a top hat physics but this is ridiculous

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Webbed was fun for a few hours but after being simultaneously presented with about the 13th, 14th, and 15th consecutive instance of "try to swing around a cog that's heavier than you are, suspended from your butt by a thread, to fling it into a nook in the ceiling" :shepicide: I turned the game off and I'm not sure I'm ever going to launch it again.

You don't have to fling the cogs. Drag the cog underneath its ceiling hole, string a shitload of webs between the cog and hole to lift it up close, then bump it into place with your lasers.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

You don't have to fling the cogs. Drag the cog underneath its ceiling hole, string a shitload of webs between the cog and hole to lift it up close, then bump it into place with your lasers.

When I do that the lasers just start snapping the webs and it drops back down.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Finding in Encased you need to look in every corner.
Like this hatch only appeared when I walked directly over it.
Even though I have Perception of 9

Also since the patch I can't seem to figure out where to craft Grenades.
Pretty sure it was either the Science or Guns bench but neither one gives me Grenade crafting options any more.
Though the patch did bring good thing like Esc closing windows.

You can no longer drive the little truck endlessly for XP since each time gives 100 Fatigue now.

Also "* Fixed being able to equip the Servoshell while in a Servoshell"

e: Ok I'm partially off on the Grenade crafting. It needs the Chem workbench.
Pretty drat sure I crafted Grenades at Roadside Picnic but it only has Gun/Science now.
Think the patch switched it out.

Love this game

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 12, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I started playing Dishonored 2 again in anticipation of Deathloop next week. If I'm choking out a guard and an enemy guard kills it, does that count against a non-lethal play?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I gave it another shot and hooray, got past the loving cog puzzles. (By swinging, could not for the life of me get the 'bump with lasers' method to work.)

Then this happened:

lmao

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I gave it another shot and hooray, got past the loving cog puzzles. (By swinging, could not for the life of me get the 'bump with lasers' method to work.)

Then this happened:

lmao

Mistakes were made. Did you have to restart or were you able to get out?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sab669 posted:

I started playing Dishonored 2 again in anticipation of Deathloop next week. If I'm choking out a guard and an enemy guard kills it, does that count against a non-lethal play?

iirc anyone dying by any means (other than like two npcs killing each other as part of a scripted event) counts against your death total

but the chaos thresholds are generous enough that it doesn’t matter unless you’re going for achievements

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Zil posted:

Mistakes were made. Did you have to restart or were you able to get out?

Neither. I'm permanently stuck here now because the only way to return to a checkpoint is to die.

e: and I am NOT doing 3 hours of loving around with cogs again by starting a new file

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 12, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Then this happened:

lmao

just explain to me what you were *trying* to do when this happened

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Move leg part B gently upwards towards leg part A. I was pushing part B upwards from underneath it, and somehow when they connected physics freaked out so badly that the leg part spun 180 degrees up inside the other leg part and dragged me along with it. You can't tell from the screenshot, but both pieces are vibrating intensely in place.

e: which could mean that even if I got out of here, the leg would be permanently broken and I wouldn't be able to progress anyway

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 12, 2021

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Then this happened:

lmao
Congratulations, you are now a trapdoor spider!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cowcaster posted:

Well, I was in Barbados hanging this painting and

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Move leg part B gently upwards towards leg part A. I was pushing part B upwards from underneath it, and somehow when they connected physics freaked out so badly that the leg part spun 180 degrees up inside the other leg part and dragged me along with it. You can't tell from the screenshot, but both pieces are vibrating intensely in place.

e: which could mean that even if I got out of here, the leg would be permanently broken and I wouldn't be able to progress anyway

so the leg ends were true

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kibayasu posted:

Look I don't ask for much, just for Assassin's Creed Odyssey to be turned into a full conversion One Piece game where the mercenaries are replaced by rival pirates, navy captain/admirals, and the bosses are the 7 Warlords of the Sea and eventually the Yonko. Somebody get on that, shouldn't take more than a weekend of two to get it all done :colbert:
:negative:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Boy, these randomized enemies sure are randomly named.

All in all though the random encounters so far have been pretty cool and not one the same so far.
Like this one having a gravity anomaly that lowers everyones accuracy.
Also had one that chilled everyone.

Need a drat wiki though so I can figure exactly what stuff like Resilience is and what weapons to use against someone with high resilience.
e: found out resilience is resistance to negative mental statuses
so good I didnt do that encounter yet since 2 teammates have psychic glove

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 12, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

AC Odyssey: can I get the loot described in the Aenigmata Ostraka without finding the aenigmata themselves?

Nope, you can't

Mescal fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 12, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

DatonKallandor posted:

PoE2, despite being extremely about gods, is very grounded. It helps that they've given them all motivations and character that isn't just a shallow "I stand for Concept X, and I am omnipotent except when the plot demands I'm not."

It also avoids the DnD trope of player power growing so much in the endgame that they become gods.

Just gonna chime in on this and say gently caress PoE2 is good. I enjoyed 1 but it had a lot of flaws, 2 fixers so much and creates a much more interesting narrative. And yes I'm getting close to the ned of the game now and I still feel like some puny pawn caught up in the middle of this spat between gods, who I agree are some of the best written fantasy gods I've seen in years.

I'd love the narrator to do some audio books to, her voice is lovely.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If I remember correctly, the narrator for PoE2 is Ashley Johnson, one of the Critical Role folks.

That particular crew does a bunch of the major voices in PoE2. Matt Mercer does Eder and Aloth, Laura Bailey is the priest girl, Marisha Rae is Maia Rua, Travis Willingham is Tekehu, and if I recall correctly Taliesin Jaffe plays the barbarian orlan.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is also a free DLC for PoE 2 that adds player voices and portraits based on Critical Role, if that wasn’t making it obvious enough.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Yeah I gotta agree with this. Cool for a minute, then becomes irritating. I appreciate the idea of giving you the tools and then having you figure out how to attack the problem, but it's just too drat fiddly and I ended up getting too annoyed to continue

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

For anyone who has played Grime, is this normal? I have reached Lithic, but my map is not updating. Not sure if I toggled a setting or is this a bug, or if there are requirements to updating the map.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Artelier posted:

For anyone who has played Grime, is this normal? I have reached Lithic, but my map is not updating. Not sure if I toggled a setting or is this a bug, or if there are requirements to updating the map.

The map stays dark until you activate a beacon for the area (not the respawn pillar). You can see some particle effects about one or two screens away that point you in the right direction of a beacon.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Steam just put a big fat text input box with glowing emoticon in the middle of all my library pages. "Say something to your friends!", motherfucker WHAT. Anyone heard of ways of ripping this loving poo poo out?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Uhh, Sparrow was recruitable? gently caress, I just let her die. What do I do with the companion quest I got from that, who's going to pay me for dead bandits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Another point in favour of Pillars of Eternity (both games): Edér. He's that series' Kim Kitsuragi in terms of likeability. There's a lot of :smith: behind his facade of jovial affability.

I like all the companions in both games, but especially the vile ones. Like, Durance is a monster but an interesting one, and Maia is a Calm Hitler.

I can't even remember the names of my companions in Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and I played that game recently until rage quitting.

e: I think ropekid posted this

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 12, 2021