Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is so cosmically wrong that it remains wrong even if, in rhetorical sleight of hand, she got to count every person who died of any cause, worldwide, on the date 2001-09-11.

And it would be true even if she counted against it only the deaths of enslaved people at sea on the Atlantic crossing.

Under those conditions, it is wrong by a factor of ten.

Just an immense amount of human suffering. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PhazonLink posted:

I have no idea what TheQuatering / nerdQ is.

But I have seen some theory/gossip crap here that Jones is just following the money/attention of Q poo poo because for once he got out crazied. Also turns out without russian troll farms, his web metrics is way way way down from 2016 highs for some reason.

I'm not watching the video but IIRC The Quartering is misogynistic comic book crap. Like the people who claim all of the cast from the first Avengers movie loving hate Brie Larson.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The quarting was the guy who led the charge on crying about a girl in the manderlorian only to reverse his position when she got fired for being a chud

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I'm not watching the video but IIRC The Quartering is misogynistic comic book crap. Like the people who claim all of the cast from the first Avengers movie loving hate Brie Larson.

You should watch the clip in the tweet. Seeing him get increasingly visibly uncomfortable as Jones keeps spouting crazier and crazier poo poo and slowly realize he’s made a huge mistake even being on this stream is a trip. Apparently he was the only one who realized it was a bad idea and bailed super early into the whole incident.

How dense do the rest of those musty motherfuckers gotta be that Jeremy loving “I just peed in my basement” Hambly has more common sense and shame than they do?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm not gonna hand it to anyone involved in that clip, but it definitely seemed edited for impact

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I know everyone has moved on, but I just caught up with the thread. While I find the seemingly sudden appearance of “jab” in the US vernacular to be surprising. “No Jab, No Job” is a great slogan and a great policy.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The quartering is that guy who posts a 5 hour complaining video everytime a woman shows on a computer screen

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
The anti-alcohol bible verses I was always quoted were Proverbs 31:4-5:

quote:

It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

Of course, they always left out the next few verses:

quote:

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.

Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

chglcu posted:

The anti-alcohol bible verses I was always quoted were Proverbs 31:4-5:

Of course, they always left out the next few verses:

... Oh, I love it when a bit of writing from thousands of years ago still rings true and feels so uniquely human.

:(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Idiots on social media: Open thy mouth for the dumb

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

How does anyone with a functioning brain read that first part and not come away with "important people shouldnt be drunk on the job"?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

How does anyone with a functioning brain read that first part and not come away with "important people shouldnt be drunk on the job"?

Honestly, most people are very bad at understanding the media they consume.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

By interpreting things to reinforce their preconceptions, then picking and choosing any random bits that agree with what they want and ignoring anything inconvenient to the contrary. The same way pretty much any religious text works.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

They should put us in charge of organizing religion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

chglcu posted:

By interpreting things to reinforce their preconceptions, then picking and choosing any random bits that agree with what they want and ignoring anything inconvenient to the contrary. The same way pretty much any religious text works.

No I’m pretty sure Jesus had a parable that’s message was the rich got into in a heaven moderately hard way

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

"It makes no difference what men think of war. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Are Biblical teetotalers a significant population? This is the first I've heard of them, other than the mormons.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Volcott posted:

Are Biblical teetotalers a significant population? This is the first I've heard of them, other than the mormons.

Growing up in rural central Texas in churches with various fundamentalist bents, it was the rule rather than the exception, but I’m not sure outside of that narrow experience.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Volcott posted:

My dad's uncle was one. He also had the worst possible way to spread the message of "Alcohol is nothing but Satan's tooth paste, so spit it out!" (Literal quote) coupled with the dumbest, most boring hobby ever. Not sure if you want details?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BattyKiara posted:

My dad's uncle was one. He also had the worst possible way to spread the message of "Alcohol is nothing but Satan's tooth paste, so spit it out!" (Literal quote) coupled with the dumbest, most boring hobby ever. Not sure if you want details?

"You shouldn't drink booze because the Devil brushes his teeth with the stuff" is a new one to me

Also yes what was his stupid boring hobby?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Note that this is often honored more in the breach than the observance. There's an old joke that asks: "How many Southern Baptists should you take on a fishing trip? Two. If you only take one he'll drink all your beer, but if you take two neither will touch a drop."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It just barely fit.

That's what she said.

Sorry I'll see my way out.

Edit: no I won't

Platystemon posted:

This is so cosmically wrong that it remains wrong even if, in rhetorical sleight of hand, she got to count every person who died of any cause, worldwide, on the date 2001-09-11.

And it would be true even if she counted against it only the deaths of enslaved people at sea on the Atlantic crossing.

Under those conditions, it is wrong by a factor of ten.

Just an immense amount of human suffering. :smith:

This made me think, how long until we start getting full-throated slavery denial. Not denial that it was bad, but denial that it happened?

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Sep 11, 2021

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

This made me think, how long until we start getting full-throated slavery denial. Not denial that it was bad, but denial that it happened?

Minus 20 years m'dude.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Note that this is often honored more in the breach than the observance. There's an old joke that asks: "How many Southern Baptists should you take on a fishing trip? Two. If you only take one he'll drink all your beer, but if you take two neither will touch a drop."

The way I've always heard it is "How do you stop a Mormon from drinking all the beer when you're fishing? Bring two."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Post poste posted:

Minus 20 years m'dude.

I really don't know of anyone who denies that slavery happened, in the vein of Holocaust Denial. Sure, people minimize it or say it wasn't bad, but that's not what I'm thinking of.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It was about states' rights

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Not related but I was reading John Calvin's analysis of the vision of Ezekiel where he sees an angel in the form of a wheel "full of eyes". Calvin interprets the wheel as a symbol respresenting fortune and the shifting fate of man. But the wheel is full of eyes which means that fortune is a concious, intelligible process. An angel is merely "the hands of God" meaning that the apparently blind, meaningless cycle of fortune is actually a planned, purposive phenomenon controlled by God. God is rebutting mankind who see their fate as cruel, random and arbitrary. This interpretation is definitely my head canon now.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

"You shouldn't drink booze because the Devil brushes his teeth with the stuff" is a new one to me

Also yes what was his stupid boring hobby?

Every summer, he would choose a random European country, and go for a road trip. While driving, he would take photos. LOTS of photos. Of road markings and road signs. Every year, at a set date, he would invite everyone he was even marginally related to for an "uplifting party" at his house. Meaning a 4 hour slide show. Of road markings and road signs. "Here is a yellow line in Poland. Note the difference from this Austrian yellow line from last year. Here is a Polish yellow line on a different type of road surface. Here is a speed limit sign from Poland. A different speed limit sign from Poland." And so on....for FOUR HOURS!!!! with breaks when when he would start ranting against the evils of alcohol.

When did this riveting talk take place? January 1st, starting at 11 in the morning. Yes, he was perfectly aware that all of his relatives were either hungover or else came straight from a New Years Eve party. He did it on purpose. To teach another lesson about Satan's tooth paste!

(I only sat through this horror once, was never invited back. He kind of refused to admit I existed)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean Calvinism is pretty brutal in that it’s basically if your saved your saved and if you aren’t your hosed. With nothing you can do to change that

It isn’t surprising it slowly fell off of evangelicalism

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Volcott posted:

There's a funny dividing line between Protestants and Catholics along this thread. Catholic functions (potlucks, etc.) inviably include booze while a whole host of Protestant denominations would never dream of doing such. I, a son of a Protestant minister, was more than a little surprised when I when to a Lenten Friday meal at a friend's parish church in college and saw that they were selling drafts of beer inside the fellowship hall.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Agents are GO! posted:

I really don't know of anyone who denies that slavery happened, in the vein of Holocaust Denial. Sure, people minimize it or say it wasn't bad, but that's not what I'm thinking of.

I've never heard of anyone straight-up denying that American slavery happened, but I have absolutely heard of people couching it in terms of "The majority of masters were actually kind towards their slaves and the stories of cruelty were a slim minority."

This Vox article is about some of the wild poo poo a plantation tour guide heard from some of their guests, because there are a lot of Americans who just do not want to accept that this country has done incredibly bad things.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Agents are GO! posted:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

1stGear posted:

I've never heard of anyone straight-up denying that American slavery happened, but I have absolutely heard of people couching it in terms of "The majority of masters were actually kind towards their slaves and the stories of cruelty were a slim minority."

This Vox article is about some of the wild poo poo a plantation tour guide heard from some of their guests, because there are a lot of Americans who just do not want to accept that this country has done incredibly bad things.

I used to live near a civil war era house that had a slave cabin on the property, and the history around that aspect was definitely soft pedaled.

"Aunt" Sophie lived in a tiny cabin on the property, and remained there until her death in 1896. Her grave was unmarked until 2004. As a kid, I was told they were "good slave owners". Now it is available for weddings, and I've heard of wedding parties using the slave cabin as a changing room prior to the ceremony.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Democrats invented the concept of slavery having existed so they could force African immigrants to accept their racist "help" and "reparations." They were living perfectly normal happy naturalized immigrant lives before this! That's why noble Republicans fight so hard to never pay reparations, because it is the DEMOCRATS' PRICE TO BUY THE BLACK AMERICAN

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Lovely to see you here, Candace Owens!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I'll believe anything since we've seen mixed-race wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom reenact master-slave relationships on an antebellum plantation

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Data Graham posted:

I mean I'll believe anything since we've seen mixed-race wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom reenact master-slave relationships on an antebellum plantation

That's a perfect storm of discomfort for a guest, drat.

"Wow, this is a real weird race thing, huh? I guess if they're okay with it for their ceremony..."
"Oh, we're more than okay with it, we live this way."
"...huh! Well, if that... uh, um, works for your daily life... who am I to-"
"Works real well in the bedroom."
"HEY LOOK AT THAT, I'M GETTING A CALL FROM AN EMERGENCY BYE"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Is South Carolina supposed to be talking?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BirdOfPlay posted:

There's a funny dividing line between Protestants and Catholics along this thread. Catholic functions (potlucks, etc.) inviably include booze while a whole host of Protestant denominations would never dream of doing such. I, a son of a Protestant minister, was more than a little surprised when I when to a Lenten Friday meal at a friend's parish church in college and saw that they were selling drafts of beer inside the fellowship hall.

Catholics and Greek Orthodox also have better food probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Calvinism is pretty brutal in that it’s basically if your saved your saved and if you aren’t your hosed. With nothing you can do to change that

It isn’t surprising it slowly fell off of evangelicalism

I always interpret the prosperity gospel of US evangelicals as a direct throughline of Calvinism. Especially since when their shortcomings come to light, the fact they've been given such a bounty is always proof that God still loves them.