Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mostly I remember 12th September '01 coz a bunch of us had the day off school to go to a Uni open day at Glasgow Caley. None of us were going there, it was just a day away from school & in the big city. Anyway, get to Inverness train station for the first train of the day, before 7, one of my friends exclaims he's a bit worried a plane will crash into our train. The image of terrorists hijacking a plane & deciding to fly it into a train in the empty moorlands of the Highlands has always stuck with me as much as anything else from that particularly bizarre period.

11th September 1973 - The US backed coup against the democratically elected government of Chile occurs. This ends up with thousands executed, tens of thousands tortured, 80,000 interred and some of the most horrendous inequality in Latin America. Of course the Chilean regime was very popular with Thatcher.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
I was in Year 7. Came home and my Mum sat me in front of the TV and told me to watch as "this could be the start of World War 3".
All things considered, she wasn't too far off.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I was at work stacking packs of tin cans that we used to strip and relabel when the big tinning factories done hosed up and put the wrong labels on.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My 9/11 memory: it was the 3rd anniversary of my mums death (gently caress cancer) so i had taken the day off work.

Was lying in bed watching BBC News 24 as they covered the first crash and then saw the second one crash live.

That was not a good day at all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, one other 9/11 memory - popping out for a fag with a coworker who suddenly went white (something I'd never actually seen happen before and assumed to that point it was some kind of literary thing rather than an actual phenomenon) and screamed "HOLY poo poo" because they hadn't yet shut London City Airport and an awful lot of people south of Canary Wharf probably screamed the exact same thing when the 2 o'clock from Edinburgh came in on the landing flightpath which passes just north of the tallest building in Europe.

(Said coworker probably still lurks here and is at least partially responsible for me finding this place so I'll protect his identity to save him from retribution)

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A mate of mine worked as an HGV driver for a while and he used to *dream* of loading bays - there was a particular shop he had to offload at in Bath (or Bristol, can't remember now) which required him to reverse from a main road into a side road on his right and then directly into an alleyway on his left, with the side road being exactly two lanes wide and the alley even narrower. Oh and this was on a steep hill too. I can just about parallel park a car, that sort of maneuver sounds like the kind of torture they'd give me in hell.

There's a Marks and Spencers in the city centre of bristol that has pretty much this, plus the road is the main flow for all the city buses. It caused chaos everytime they got a delivery, (usually a round rush hour)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Memories of the day are the same old uninteresting shite, so my abiding 9/11 memory is going on a first date with my now fiancée, 11 years ago today, and as her being from New York obviously having to question her about the whole thing (social skills not required for dating).

Turns out her mum was a superintendent for a LI school district and had to deal with a lot of students with dead or missing parents. Including one dad working in the WTC who went radio silent when the first plane hit, and then reappeared at his house on LI 10 hours later coated in grey dust. Must have been a wild ride.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My cousin has a bad one.

Signed up to the army because there was a deal where they pay for his very expensive computer engineering degree at a top university in exchange for spending 4 years on active duty afterwards. Normally at his level it would be doing training for other people after a year sat on Christmas Island no big deal, Australia not been in any wars lately. He gets his orders to ship out, on 9/11. As they are waiting to board a boat, that’s it everything’s cancelled back to base and very shortly afterwards he gets sent out to Afghanistan to lay down communications during the initial invasion while being guarded by American Marines.

If he’d signed up a week earlier he would have been on Christmas Island eating crab.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh yeah, one other 9/11 memory - popping out for a fag with a coworker who suddenly went white (something I'd never actually seen happen before and assumed to that point it was some kind of literary thing rather than an actual phenomenon) and screamed "HOLY poo poo" because they hadn't yet shut London City Airport and an awful lot of people south of Canary Wharf probably screamed the exact same thing when the 2 o'clock from Edinburgh came in on the landing flightpath which passes just north of the tallest building in Europe.

(Said coworker probably still lurks here and is at least partially responsible for me finding this place so I'll protect his identity to save him from retribution)

I was working for a large, popular (ahem) transport co at the time based in a mainline station in London. I was covering the phones while there was a big meeting going on then everyone came rushing out of the meeting and I had no idea why. Someone found a tv in a cupboard and we watched it. At first we thought it was some kind of horrible accident until the second plane hit.

The operations staff had to swing into action because it had come out on the pagers (hence why they all knew) and had to kick in to action ready to potentially evacuate a large part of London including Canary Wharf. Rumour has it that there was a hijacker lined up to hit somewhere in Central London which may have been Buckingham Palace, less than a mile from my office, but that when he saw the Towers go down he chickened out.

I had visions of that 2nd plane swinging into the towers (having not seen the first one) burnt into my retina, every time I shut my eyes.

(I've got deja vu, I've a feeling I've written this before, probably a year ago).

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

On September 10 2001 I was visiting my grandparents for their 60th wedding anniversary, at their home just outside Washington DC, in America. In one of the luckiest breaks of my life, we flew out that evening (from Dulles airport, no less than the place the plane that hit the Pentagon took off from) and arrived back at Heathrow the next morning. I had happened to forget my UK passport, so I now own an expired US passport with “September 11 2001” stamped in it.

Once I got home I immediately went to bed due to jet lag. I later got called on my old Nokia 3310 by a friend of mine who had been housesitting for us and she told me to go turn on the TV. Incredibly glad I wasn’t caught up in everything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Washington DC, in America.

Appreciate the clarification

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think it’s mandatory. For a bit my dad worked in “Washington DC, not Washington state, Washington DC” which is it’s actual real name.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

learnincurve posted:

I think it’s mandatory. For a bit my dad worked in “Washington DC, not Washington state, Washington DC” which is it’s actual real name.

theoretically though it's usually context dependent and most people will say washington ordc when talking about the seat of the federal government

presumably though that was sarcasm with the washington dc, and the america both

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Appreciate the clarification

Happy to help.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1436754849727762440?s=20

probs Akehurst, wasn't it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There must be a distribution center somewhere in Washinton, Tyne and Wear.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

nurmie posted:

i'm not sure what "woke bane" refers to, but now i can't stop imagining a half-Keir Starmer, half-Bane from Dark Knight Rises hybrid creature, an amalgamation of flesh, steel and wet eggs

That account is a rereg of someone who went by the handle 'Woke bane' and whose bio was simply 'Bane, but woke'.

Guavanaut posted:

Someone's doing fireworks. There's always one for every occasion.

Are you in the North of Manchester Guav? Someone was going all out near Pendlebury right now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I am :corsair: so I was 24 and in my second job and manning a trade booth in Boston (where the planes flew out of) a couple of days before the attack. Then I flew to my then fiancées place in Lansing, Michigan.

Cue a phone call from her parents at 7am, then a panicked car trip to her parents in rural Michigan because obviously the state capital of Michigan was next, then me phoning my dad and hearing him cry for the only time in my life because obviously he and mum had been up for hours, couldn't remember exactly when I was due to leave Boston, and were worried they'd just watched me die on live television.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I think 9/11 happened basically right at the end of the school day so I found out when I got home. They only wheeled out TVs into the classrooms later in the school year so we could watch Senegal beat France.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StarkingBarfish posted:

Are you in the North of Manchester Guav? Someone was going all out near Pendlebury right now.
No, near Leicester. Which means that a) it was definitely kids, and b) some ham person is definitely blaming 'the Asians' because they think that old conservative Hindus love Islamic terrorism.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My 9/11 story is of my boss coming over and casually saying "Hey, a plane crashed into the WTC" with both of us assuming it was a light aircraft. Put on the radio for updates to find it was something more, then went to the office TV with several other people, and spent the next couple of hours saying variations of "Holy poo poo. Holy gently caress. Oh my god. poo poo, gently caress!" :stare:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That thread is wild. And yeah, he's hinting incredibly heavily that Akehurst barged into the Labour disciplinary process without permission and used it as a harassment tool.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'd been playing EQ lol, flatmates called me through after the first plane hit. The way I remember it being commented on by the live news was as a strange catastrophic accident, and then the second one hit.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
young woman winning at the tennis, there, fairly knocked 9/11 remembrance off the top stories on bbc news :laugh:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i look forward to a week of bits on breakfast tv about how we need more tennis schemes for the children

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they had The Big Breakfast on on Friday morning and there were no white people on it, which i suppose was nice

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Chubby Henparty posted:

I'd been playing EQ lol, flatmates called me through after the first plane hit. The way I remember it being commented on by the live news was as a strange catastrophic accident, and then the second one hit.

Yeah the BBC coverage is on youtube and they spend a LONG time not really knowing what's going on at all. Pretty sure they missed the second plane too.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
To tie the two together, on 11/9/01 I was playing tennis with friends. We got a text from someone that a plane had flown into the twin towers and assumed they meant at Wembley. We assumed it was some sad accident and kept playing tennis.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Yeah the BBC coverage is on youtube and they spend a LONG time not really knowing what's going on at all. Pretty sure they missed the second plane too.
sad lol at the number of conspiracy theories that rested on BBC News having perfect information

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Someone's doing fireworks. There's always one for every occasion.

Are you in Finsbury Park?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

Are you in Finsbury Park?

Is Corbyn setting off celebratory fireworks?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh gently caress I just had one of them horrible instances where you remember something unbelievably cringey except instead of me talking to girls in school it's the BBC orchestra playing adagio for strings after 9/11 and some awful commentary about "britain mourns with her child country" aaaaaa get it out of my brain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

crispix posted:

young woman winning at the tennis, there, fairly knocked 9/11 remembrance off the top stories on bbc news :laugh:

The best part being that Raducanu is a Romanian immigrant, so the usual scum can't crow about how we got our first women's champion in 45 years as soon as we left the EU.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just realized my playlist of heavy / death metal songs on FB that I have been posting for the last couple of hours might be a bit tasteless given how many Americans on my FB. So I've just made it only me for unlocking in a few days!
Metallica Ride the Lightning, Obituary Slowly We Rot just to name two of them!

One of my American friends posted that while she wanted to remember the anniversary of 9/11 she didn't want it plastered all over every bit of media for the next week and she got roasted by some others.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Isn't 9/11 the deadliest terror attack in *British* history as well? As in most Brits dead?

I had been in school arrived home about ten seconds after the Pentagon got hit. Pretty wild shots on the telly, one they kept repeatedly playing made it look like a missile had smashed into the Pentagon, which briefly made me think it was a formal war or something.

I know we're all used to it now and deeply Online as well, but thinking back it truly was a buckwild thing for some people to do, and the fact they succeeded (Both in the attack itself and provoking America into massively self-destructive idiocy) is wilder still. Another wild thing was years and years later in uni, on a course about terrorism, I was doing a presentation about 9/11 and got some feedback from the other students after; a couple of comments on things I had overlooked or glossed over, which fair dos, but one lad insisted I was out of line for saying something about AQ killing a lot of people because they COULD have killed even MORE if they had attacked a couple of hours later. I was so dumbfounded by this I kind of let it slide but very big "You do not in fact have to hand it to them" energy there. (Had I had my druthers I would actually have observed that there may well have been operational reasons or a desire to get a full news day's cycle or something rather than "Well we're happy to kill 3,000 people but 4,000 is right out").

I should also revisit my argument that post-9/11 America made the biggest strategic blunder of its history in response, I think it'll land better now that we've had another decade of poo poo but I think also the idea of Nam being the huge fuckup is so deeply rooted in some StratProfbrains that I'd struggle to uproot it. Though as this was when I was completely going mental it's not a surprise I doing my best work, the bigger surprise is that I held it together well enough to earn the Master's before completely imploding lmao

e; It's probably just who I actually make friends with but every American I know personally is either posting some Extremely Online poo poo about 9/11 or saying "yeah it sucked and I feel for the victims of that day but uh we killed WAY more people in response and maybe we should remember them as well? And also not do that sort of thing?"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Oh gently caress I just had one of them horrible instances where you remember something unbelievably cringey except instead of me talking to girls in school it's the BBC orchestra playing adagio for strings after 9/11 and some awful commentary about "britain mourns with her child country" aaaaaa get it out of my brain.

Don't talk to me or my child country ever again

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

Isn't 9/11 the deadliest terror attack in *British* history as well? As in most Brits dead?

I had been in school arrived home about ten seconds after the Pentagon got hit. Pretty wild shots on the telly, one they kept repeatedly playing made it look like a missile had smashed into the Pentagon, which briefly made me think it was a formal war or something.

I know we're all used to it now and deeply Online as well, but thinking back it truly was a buckwild thing for some people to do, and the fact they succeeded (Both in the attack itself and provoking America into massively self-destructive idiocy) is wilder still. Another wild thing was years and years later in uni, on a course about terrorism, I was doing a presentation about 9/11 and got some feedback from the other students after; a couple of comments on things I had overlooked or glossed over, which fair dos, but one lad insisted I was out of line for saying something about AQ killing a lot of people because they COULD have killed even MORE if they had attacked a couple of hours later. I was so dumbfounded by this I kind of let it slide but very big "You do not in fact have to hand it to them" energy there. (Had I had my druthers I would actually have observed that there may well have been operational reasons or a desire to get a full news day's cycle or something rather than "Well we're happy to kill 3,000 people but 4,000 is right out").

I should also revisit my argument that post-9/11 America made the biggest strategic blunder of its history in response, I think it'll land better now that we've had another decade of poo poo but I think also the idea of Nam being the huge fuckup is so deeply rooted in some StratProfbrains that I'd struggle to uproot it. Though as this was when I was completely going mental it's not a surprise I doing my best work, the bigger surprise is that I held it together well enough to earn the Master's before completely imploding lmao

e; It's probably just who I actually make friends with but every American I know personally is either posting some Extremely Online poo poo about 9/11 or saying "yeah it sucked and I feel for the victims of that day but uh we killed WAY more people in response and maybe we should remember them as well? And also not do that sort of thing?"

I think I read it was 67 or 69 Brits died?
Lockerbie was 270. Not sure how many were British on that plane.
London 2005 - 56 dead. I very narrowly missed that by the skin of my teeth - a story for another time.

re your ed - yeah some of my American friends have also been posting about the 100000s of innocent civilians killed in revenge attacks too.
I haven't posted anything, just did that tear face thing on a couple of posts where friends were directly affected.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 12, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think I read it was 67 or 69 Brits died?
Lockerbie was 270. Not sure how many were British on that plane.

43 British deaths, plane and ground. It was a Pan Am plane and most of the passengers were Americans.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Jedit posted:

The best part being that Raducanu is a Romanian immigrant, so the usual scum can't crow about how we got our first women's champion in 45 years as soon as we left the EU.

Oh, no, they can and they will. You're making the mistake of thinking they give a gently caress about consistency or hypocrisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jedit posted:

I think she was born in Canada - but her parents are Chinese and Romanian.
Honestly, while her Surrey accent kind of gets my teeth grinding, she's still young enough (that sounds wrong) that her enthusiasm for winning matches plays a larger role in her interviews than the usual "oh it's been my dream for sooooo long that I'm just so haaaaappy :qq: :qq: :qq: " See: Andy QQ Murray
Also, it was actually a good tennis match to watch - and I say that as someone who usually finds tennis boring. It turns out that when two young women tennis players really attack each other, the end result makes for good viewing (that sounds wrong).

Really, the lesson to be learned from 9/11 is how piss-easy it is to utterly disrupt the "Decadent Western Way of Life", as long as you you're happy with the uber-rich not being part of that equation (an aspect I imagine Bin Laden would have been thoroughly onboard with).