Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Any supply of legacy items would come from people importing their saves (assuming that is still a feature they're keeping) but without tcp/ip support or open b.net they'll all be locked into single player. Maybe you could swap save files to utilize the shared stash for "trading" among friends?

Nothing should change for the original game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Swilo posted:

Any supply of legacy items would come from people importing their saves (assuming that is still a feature they're keeping) but without tcp/ip support or open b.net they'll all be locked into single player. Maybe you could swap save files to utilize the shared stash for "trading" among friends?

Ruststorm 2.0 BA-BY!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Swilo posted:

I didn't pick this game up until 2005, right before patch 1.11 dropped. But my impression is that legacy items on the non-ladder realms (closed battle.net) still exist. So is there going to be a complete and total reset of everything?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
my understanding is that d2r will not be hosted on the legacy Diablo 2 battle.net but will have its own servers and therefore the legacy battle.net will be unchanged

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
That's correct, the two games' servers will run side by side with a fresh start on remake so nothing from the old game carries over. There will be no legacy items, no duped items (at least to start with :frog: ), and no baseline economy full of commodity items.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
I really hope they find a way to stop/break/ban bots - they ruined the original game

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

What's a good class/build to go from 0 to clearing hell and farming gear? I never played much d2 but ima go ham for a bit when this is out.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Swilo posted:

That's correct, the two games' servers will run side by side with a fresh start on remake so nothing from the old game carries over. There will be no legacy items, no duped items (at least to start with :frog: ), and no baseline economy full of commodity items.
In current d2 lots of stuff can't be permanently duped if two players end up in the same game. Altho from the beta we know that uuid didn't apply to shared stash in d2r so you could have permanent dupes of everything.

To be more specific, in legacy d2:
  • Most items have a uuid
  • Once a player leaves the game with a matching uuid the dupes are flagged for deletion
  • It was (probably is) possible to unflag for deletion by trading and cancelling the trade after
  • There are 1.08? 1.06? and earlier items on non-ladder that have no uuid and will never be flagged
  • When you make a runeword a new uuid is assigned to the item so you can use a duped base + duped runes
  • Socketing might also mess with uuid not 100% sure I did all my duping before uuids

D2R seemed to undo the dupe detection & rust storm systems. Which could be really interesting if someone discovers/has another way to create white/"ith"/incorrect stat items on bnet. There was an unpatched way to force an entire game server have to a chance to roll items with the wrong unique's stats. I've personally found horadric amulet with razortail's stats while rushing someone. It happened once, ever, and I didn't do anything weird.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 11, 2021

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

queeb posted:

What's a good class/build to go from 0 to clearing hell and farming gear? I never played much d2 but ima go ham for a bit when this is out.

Hammerdin is probably your best bet since very few monsters are magic immune and they don’t need crazy good gear to have solid damage. Also vigor makes them really fast and even then you can shop a teleport charges staff from normal pretty easily. Sorceress might be faster at specific boss farms, but you are generally limited by what spec you are due to immunities.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Counterpoint: aiming hammers sucks rear end

I would suggest Trapsin

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sorc was always the first class I used to gather gear then play the one you really want to play. Feels like most classes are so gear dependent outside of necro and sorc. Probably why I never had near as much play time with the others.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would suggest Trapsin
Counter counterpoint: aiming hammers is fun.

Counter counter counterpoint: hdin without enigma isn't nearly as fun/awesome.

4x counterpoint: play whatever is fun it is a video game!! hdin hits super hard and gets free resist caps and can raise his resist cap and you can use vigor+charge to run around a bit once you get to a high enough level.

but yes trapsin is a good first class. Lots of damage, straightforward gearing, second fastest moving+clearing combination character with zero gear, and a decent number of fun buttons to press on top of traps. Hdin starts off really slow/weak and has a fairly large learning curve that's comparable to sorc.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 11, 2021

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Coolspaz posted:

I really hope they find a way to stop/break/ban bots - they ruined the original game

They won't.

If anything, it will be the worst they've ever been. Bunch of older folks returning to the game with more money than time... I bet demand for items is huge, lots of incentive to bot.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

queeb posted:

There is exactly one correct answer: Sorceress.

Fire in normal. Respec to cold in nightmare. Farm NM mephisto, blitz hell, respec blizzard, farm Ancient Tunnels. Mephisto, and Pindle.

Any other choice will be less efficient, probably by at least an order of magnitude.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would suggest Trapsin

Don't play trapsin. There's still the bug where some traps, including death sentry, count as unique mobs and as a result, fewer uniques spawn. If you have no class allegiance but want to be able to farm gear easily, it's always Sorc.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hammerdin never felt slow to me in the beginning. In fact it does really good damage as soon as you can spec into it and Vigor is a synergy that increases hammer damage and let’s you run incredibly fast. It is also really easy to shop a +2 Blessed Hammer weapon from Act 2 Normal which is another huge damage boost. You can also shop a staff with teleport charges for those dungeons that are really narrow. Aiming hammers is just something you pick up and it’s really not hard.

As far as gear, Paladin is the only class that can get a 4 socket shield really early and it’s not too hard to find a pally shield with ~20 res all. Socket it at Larzuk and you can use that to make a Spirit or even use P Diamonds to craft a resist shield that will last you through hell. And again you almost never have to worry about enemy resistances.

Sorceress is for sure faster at farming end game but I always found her to be harder to get through Hell on the first play-through. I think Hammerdin is definitely a solid option.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
I'm probably gonna start with summon necro cause it's cool to just hang back and let an army kill stuff for you. Probably not the strongest spec but the fun factor is through the roof.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Coolspaz posted:

I'm probably gonna start with summon necro cause it's cool to just hang back and let an army kill stuff for you. Probably not the strongest spec but the fun factor is through the roof.

I like to pick up Confuse for the extra fun factor. Again, not very efficient, but your survivability and ease of play is through the roof.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What's the best HC builds

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

MrSargent posted:

Sorceress is for sure faster at farming end game but I always found her to be harder to get through Hell on the first play-through. I think Hammerdin is definitely a solid option.

For a more casual start to a fresh economy, sure. If you know what you're doing and want to go HAM though, the sorc is farming hell meph/pindle before the hammerdin is out of nightmare, then doing MF runs multiple times faster.

Teleport is just going to make you see waaaaaaaaaay more items, waaaaaay more quickly, if you're looking to grind the early release economy.

Hammerdin is a fun and smooth playthrough, don't get me wrong! But if you want to go all out, it's the wrong day 1 choice.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Bone necro, shockwave bear druid, trapsin

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I think I’ll run summon/CE for a first run, then litsorc if it’s still viable? Turns out I still have a bunch of FG in d2jsp. Will there be a goon discord or something for d2r?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

jerman999 posted:

I think I’ll run summon/CE for a first run, then litsorc if it’s still viable? Turns out I still have a bunch of FG in d2jsp. Will there be a goon discord or something for d2r?

Light is def still viable, downright nasty if you get an infinity merc and griffons eye.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I really like FO/max telekenisis

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Same as sc for the top builds. No difference in stats, gear, or skills. Some mild difference in how you'll play or what level/gear level you'll do things at.

Standard build for most classes is enough stats for gear & dump into vit. Don't need block or es in pvm as sorc, but capping block as paladin is trivial and for other classes it varies.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 13, 2021

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Mash posted:

Don't play trapsin. There's still the bug where some traps, including death sentry, count as unique mobs and as a result, fewer uniques spawn. If you have no class allegiance but want to be able to farm gear easily, it's always Sorc.

This seems like a major, class breaking bug, and it's bizarre to think it was never addressed. "Working as intended", I guess?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you think that’s bad don’t read what blizzard had to say about the Next Hit Always Misses bug recently

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAIEDm4sUxA

this poo poo owns

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They redid the lines? How bizarre.

E:

Or is it just Tyrael's? That might be even weirder.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

THE BAR posted:

They redid the lines? How bizarre.

E:

Or is it just Tyrael's? That might be even weirder.

they did?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
They certainly did for Tyrael's "Fool!" line

D2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy6c7L5n4cM&t=845s
New - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAIEDm4sUxA&t=85s

Maybe a timing thing - new cinematics might have slightly longer shots / different cuts, whatever.

(Please Blizz, tell us why an unarmed guy can just crawl and buttscoot around and avoid Tyrael's attacks)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My brother in law convinced me to get this for Xbox. He never really played D2, but I sure as hell did.

I think for games with him I'm gonna roll a conviction / vengeance paladin for support, or if he wants to do a melee class maybe a Necro because amp damage is OP.

Or just another paladin with either conviction or fanat. I kind of hate all their melee skills but auras are good and coop is where this is at and everyone likes a good coop paladin.

Actually melee skills in D2 in general feel terrible in the modern era imo. Zeal is Fury. Nothing does much AoE except WW. This does not include assassin skills, which I always thought were a ton of fun, especially Phoenix Strike.

For my own non support character I may do an elemental druid, I really enjoyed the fx of those skills in the beta.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I want the original Marius back, thanks

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So it sounds like this game isn't going to have any kind of ladder? Still probably going to pick up eventually just to relive some of my fondest gaming memories but man that's a bummer, basically kills a huge chunk of the replay value. Why did it get axed in the first place - it can't possibly be that hard to implement something that was already in the original and also in every other game Blizzard makes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Honestly I expect it will have a ladder cuz that's clearly one of the like 3 things they need for the game to not flop and even speaking as a cynic I don't think they'd be that dumb. But every day it is not in after release is like a 50% lower chance it ever gets a ladder.

That said, latest thing I've heard officially is no ladder on release, plans for one to be announced after release/ "soon"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Wait what? No ladders? Lmao jeez

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

they have said there will be ladders, but not on launch day.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I'd imagine they'll hold off on ladder till they get multiplayer "burned in." This way the first D2:R ladder won't be met with tons of whiners.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

no ladder on launch is good actually, cause they put all the ladder-exclusive content on non-ladder for D2R so I can play with friends at a chill pace and still get the cool stuff, and since that's the only option on launch there will be plenty of other people online to play with too

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I wouldn't buy assuming they're going to do gently caress all after launch. Maybe if they announce some updates, enhancements and bug fixes would I consider it. But even then ehhhhh.