Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A fairly surefire way is to take it into Houdini, convert it to vdb's, vdbmerge and then convert it back to polys.
The downside is that, depending on detail, you may end up with a very heavy piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
You can also try Blender's boolean tools to see if they work better, I think there are a few 3rd party plugins for Blender that add boolean functions. There are several other 3rd party plugins that are hard surface modeling focused with tools that let you cut and carve shapes from each other, or otherwise support boolean operations, like meshmachine, hardops, boxcutter, machinetools, that you could check out. I haven't used all of those but since it looks like you're making non-organic shapes, they might interest you.

Houdini's boolean operator got a boost a while back, you could try theirs out as well. You can also convert your pieces to a single vdb volume and then remesh it, but depending on how accurate you need the geo to be, that might not be a good route. Although you can always do a retopology pass afterwards.

I'll often do booleans in steps, as opposed to combining all my parts at once, it's slower but if there's one operation that kills the whole thing I can at least get most of the shape formed and then focus on the one problematic union.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Houdini booleans are still a bit hit and miss, although with an object like that, it shouldn't be too hard.
Worst case, place a cylinder as a mating object and that might give you a cleaner union.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blenders booleans used to suck rear end, but they've gotten a lot of attention in recent years and are much better. I don't use them enough to be able to confidently say it'll work great for your use case, but it's definitely worth a look.

There are 3rd party plugins made for various hard surface modeling stuff that are probably worth a look, but the raw boolean functions are all built in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SubNat posted:

I mean, that depends entirely on usecase? My old laptop had a 1070 and it did everything in Unreal very well, as long as you keep away from raytraced stuff.(For realtime, anyhow.)
(It could do it, but non-rtx cards are a slog once RT goes on, though I dunno how they work with lumen, since it has some non-rt modes as well. You might get decent perf in the non-RT-accelerated versions of lumen for example.)

If you want more complex lighting you might need to lean on baking scenes lighting more, but a gpu like that can still crunch millions of polygons and render heavy scenes in VR etc etc.
But yeah, a 1070 is more than enough as long as you don't want to play with RT.

So it depends on what you want to do, really. What are you aiming to do?

render out some animated sequences

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ImplicitAssembler posted:

A fairly surefire way is to take it into Houdini, convert it to vdb's, vdbmerge and then convert it back to polys.
The downside is that, depending on detail, you may end up with a very heavy piece.

You can do this with tyflow directly in max! It's got full vdb tools.
And then max now has a remesher that many people argue is better than the one in zbrush.
https://youtu.be/ktrIhk9NFT8

Both of those plus the new smart extrude tools have turned modeling in max into something really quite spectacular. It was already my favourite modeling tool but now it's just unbelievably flexible. And from what I hear, 2023 hasn't taken it's foot off the gas...

I would also reccomend trying the regular tyflow boolean tools too - they produce a much better result than either of the built in max options.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 12, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

render out some animated sequences

Yeah, go hog wild.
The 1070 will be able to handle things pretty well still, and it can run lumen as well if you want to lean on that. Just grab unreal and play around a bit.
When you're just using it for rendering and animations it's pretty easy to see where the performance goes so you can adjust accordingly.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Strange question, but I'm looking to have a 3d model of this pyramid made. All the sides are identical, so what would be the easiest way to replicate this without 300 days of zbrush detail work?

I'm looking for it to be as close as possible, so I thought maybe just import a crop of the file to a slicer to make a litho, and then meshmixer that together into the shape, but lithographs made like that are inherently "bumpy" and not as detailed.

I'm thinking of hiring someone to do it, cause this is a bit beyond a beginner "gently caress it, let's give it a whirl" level, but I thought I'd check with people who know what they are doing and see what sort of workflow they'd use to do it the fastest and easiest way.

Worst case I have instructions to give the artist I hire, so having the knowledge isn't a bad thing. I'm just kinda lost on the complex issues.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ask this guy nicely https://13ballstudios.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-null-shard-part-3.html

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bring that texture into photoshop and turn it into a bump map? Or are you looking to 3d print it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, had no idea someone actually made this thing. Awesome! Thanks for the lead!

Hoping to 3d print it.

Edit: dammit there doesn't seem to be a way to contact that dude other than posting on his blog.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 13, 2021

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Felt like making something this weekend, but didn't want it to drag out. I recalled admiring the embers rising from fires in ghost of tsushima and that sparked the idea for a little sim & vibe excersize.

Models from megascans. Phoenix for the fire, tyflow for the ash & embers. the ash does get caught up in the rising smoke but it's really hard to tell. there's also probably too much of it, and too small. oh well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTwzewbrT5c/

I posted a long time ago about doing a tutorial - it's done!
90 minutes long across 18 chapters, focusing on working with filmed footage and retouching it like it's a still, but also covering techniques to work with 'final' rendered shots and retouch them to remove objects or add details.
I fear finding an audience is going to be tough - it's very much aimed at people who don't know that this is possible, rather than someone trying to find a how to on something they know they want to do. Should be going live this week, hopefully within a couple of days.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I made an Eastern Quoll with Max, Ornatrix for hair, rendered in Redshift using the new principledHair shader which is pretty cool although I started with the old hair shader and kind of transferred my maps over halfway, resulting in some blown out areas that I can't be bothered fixing.
We're still in lockdown here so projects like this are keeping me from going crazy

Some other technical images of this guy on my artstation
https://www.artstation.com/eoincannon

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Good to see your work still impressive after all these years

Also can you send me a quokka

I need it for reference

Yeah

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Christ, that's amazing. If you'd have told me it was a photo I'd have believed it, no doubt.

Still wish you'd do another set of the emotes off here. I'd love to print :haw: or :tinfoil: with the new resin printer.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

aw!!!!!! so cute!!!!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

This is delightful.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I have a 3d scan of a figure (like a sixth scale hulk) and I find a statue stl that looks badass, is it possible to alter the statue stl to make custom bits for the figure?

I have a feeling the answer is yes, but I dunno if that's followed by "and it will be crazy expensive/hard to do" or not.

I wanted to make a giant doomsday figure, and I found an awesome looking statue sculpt, but the whole "rework it to fit the body" part of the plan seems like the "yadda yadda yadda" part in a plan where no one goes into detail about how batshit it is.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If I have a 3d scan of a figure (like a sixth scale hulk) and I find a statue stl that looks badass, is it possible to alter the statue stl to make custom bits for the figure?

I have a feeling the answer is yes, but I dunno if that's followed by "and it will be crazy expensive/hard to do" or not.

I wanted to make a giant doomsday figure, and I found an awesome looking statue sculpt, but the whole "rework it to fit the body" part of the plan seems like the "yadda yadda yadda" part in a plan where no one goes into detail about how batshit it is.

What exactly do you want done? Changing geometry isn't particularly hard. Are you talking about making separate pieces that would snap on a 3D print?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Basically, yea. Stuff like bone spikes, or possibly the hands, scaled to the scan so I could either replace or add to the figure once I print em.

Apr 7, 2019

Without seeing the models you're talking about, it sounds like you could probably isolate the parts of the mesh you want to copy across with boolean operations, position them how you want so the meshes are overlapping, then use something like Blender's voxel remesh, or Houdini's 'polygons > vdb > polygons' workflow to make it a single watertight mesh for printing.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Strange question, but I'm looking to have a 3d model of this pyramid made. All the sides are identical, so what would be the easiest way to replicate this without 300 days of zbrush detail work?

I'm looking for it to be as close as possible, so I thought maybe just import a crop of the file to a slicer to make a litho, and then meshmixer that together into the shape, but lithographs made like that are inherently "bumpy" and not as detailed.

I'm thinking of hiring someone to do it, cause this is a bit beyond a beginner "gently caress it, let's give it a whirl" level, but I thought I'd check with people who know what they are doing and see what sort of workflow they'd use to do it the fastest and easiest way.

Worst case I have instructions to give the artist I hire, so having the knowledge isn't a bad thing. I'm just kinda lost on the complex issues.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

You could do something like I did in substance designer. It was only a few days work and you can use the displacement/height to give you the proper detail :

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ELOqWe

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Basically, yea. Stuff like bone spikes, or possibly the hands, scaled to the scan so I could either replace or add to the figure once I print em.

It's not particularly hard to do that in the 3D app, the trickier thing is making sure that the 3D printed pieces will physically work they way you want them. I've built models out of multiple pieces that are supposed to fit together, only to find that the printed pieces were off by some small amount and I had to sand them down to get them to fit, or if it was a complex piece that there was some small bit that prevented the whole piece from moving into place correctly. I'm sure there's a name for it in product design, I know that in chemistry it's called steric hindrance.

500 already described the basic process but I would mention Zbrush would also be a great option.

Odddzy posted:

You could do something like I did in substance designer. It was only a few days work and you can use the displacement/height to give you the proper detail :

I love this opening screen, usually I'll browse stuff on my phone while games load but I'll always watch this one for a while, sometimes even until it switches to Eivor.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Listerine posted:

I love this opening screen, usually I'll browse stuff on my phone while games load but I'll always watch this one for a while, sometimes even until it switches to Eivor.

Thanks man, It was one of the better projects I worked on with a lot of freedom. No geo, just a plane with the displacement maps done in substance designer.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

Not gonna lie, it is always a trip when I hold a video game in my hands and realize a fellow goon made part of it. I thought I had gotten used to the feeling from Red Faction and Saint's Row but apparently not yet. Damned awesome work my dude.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Can any ZBrush wizard give me a quick bit of advice?

What's the best way to sharpen up the edges on this model like what's above the quilted texture area? I've been trying the hPolish brushes and similar but they seem to deform in unexpected ways at times.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It looks like your topology is fighting against you. Have you been using Dynamesh a lot? The only way to clean that up is either go several layers higher in resolution or you could retopologize (either by hand or by wrestling with zRemesher) and then reproject your sculpted detail.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Could also use Sculptris mode with a low brush size to increase poly density just at that area, instead of doing an overall subdivide, if you just want to get the hard edges dones and fix with a retopo later.

Also, you could model a separate subtool that conforms to the sheets of material with good had edges and then boolean them in. Still would have to fix the topology in a separate step.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pinch brush with the brushmod value turned up a bit. Not great for topology but if you don't care about that it could work

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm using Blender to model a large snowflake. I started with an SVG, imported that into Blender, added a solidify modifier to give it thickness, and then converted that to a mesh. Predictably, the mesh isn't always of the best quality:

The plan here is for this to be really gigantic in-game, and I seem to recall that really long/skinny faces can cause rendering issues. Is there a straightforward way to clean this up? Optimizing for triangles/quads with large angles, that kind of thing?

EDIT: nevermind, figured out a workable solution using the "Remesh" modifier, followed by decimating.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 24, 2021

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's radially symmetrical so just poly model one sixth of it, array it around then weld it up

*Edit* Oh nice, that gave a good result

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, remeshing is the proper solution there. That came out pretty well, considering. I've had very mixed results with Blender's auto-remesher.

Rhino has an incredibly good QuadRemesh tool just for cleaning up 3D scans, and it's insane that Blender, being a dedicated polygon modeler, doesn't have something equivalent.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Now for a followup question: is there an easy way to make a bunch of convex hulls that will precisely match the surfaces here? I can easily convert convex hulls into colliders in Unity, which is kind of important to keep the player from just phasing through the walls :v: But as far as I can tell, Blender's convex hull stuff is about roughly approximating a shape with a single hull, not precisely matching a shape with multiple hulls.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cut into multiple objects is the easiest way. Filling it primitive spheres is often even faster at detecting collisions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Cut into multiple objects is the easiest way. Filling it primitive spheres is often even faster at detecting collisions.

That's gonna be a lot of manual cutting.

Minimum of two hulls per section of wall. Even if I simplify the outside colliders (on the theory that the player is unlikely to spend a bunch of time ramming into the outside of the base), and take advantage of the radial+mirror symmetry to only do half of one lobe, that's still a ton of manual work that I'm hoping to avoid.

As for primitive spheres...I have trouble believing that that would look good. You'd be able to poke into parts of the walls but not others, and the collision normals would be wrong, so the rigidbody's collision response would look weird.

Here's an extremely early mock-up of what this could look like in-game, to give you some sense of scale:

https://i.imgur.com/tDncDOz.mp4

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You only need to do it on 1/6 of it and then duplicate 5 times. It's not a lot of work.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Now for a followup question: is there an easy way to make a bunch of convex hulls that will precisely match the surfaces here? I can easily convert convex hulls into colliders in Unity, which is kind of important to keep the player from just phasing through the walls :v: But as far as I can tell, Blender's convex hull stuff is about roughly approximating a shape with a single hull, not precisely matching a shape with multiple hulls.

I'm not aware of any precise solutions to this with blender if you don't want to do it manually for one section and radially mirror it which would probably be a lot easier tbh, unless you want to mess around with the shrinkwrap modifier (which would probably be messy and I'm not sure it's possible to use it in the inside-out way you seem to be aiming for unless you manually box it out which would defeat the point anyway), or possibly Sverchok but that's a separate addon that's pretty complicated to use.

I did find this addon for blender 2.8, might have to downgrade since it's a bit old and may not be updated for 3.0, but give it a shot and see if it might do what you want:
https://github.com/andyp123/blender_vhacd

Or this one for 2.7, which is the same as above but has more instructions and pictures and may be more advanced:
https://github.com/kmammou/v-hacd

I did also find a few solutions to generate convex colliders in unity, though they're a bit old and one of them is paid, so pick your poison I guess:

This is the free one, though it may not quite generate the precise results you're looking for:
https://github.com/sanukin39/UniColliderInterpolator

And this is the paid one ($45, oof)
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/concave-collider-4596

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's like 20 mins work max to cut up one section.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Definitely easier to just do that by hand. Just duplicate chunks of the geometry in the shapes you want, hardly even any manual work, unless you are planning to do this for a lot of other objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anyone who could guide me into the first steps of making a simple addon for blender?

In this particular one, I just want to add an auto-off for a tickbox in blender.

One of the most useful tools in blender is being able to move your viewport as the camera to change camera angles.

for some reason you can't undo this, and so if you have a viewport lined up and you move to look around it, if you've left that tickbox on, you move your view port and you can't undo back to the previous one.

and this fucks me right off. and I've done it loads of times. my own drat fault of course but still... it seems like making an addon or script could handle that easily