Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Captain Rufus posted:

We all know the correct Titanic crossover. (It was originally a cover to G Fan magazine in the 90s.)

No I don't want to think about a Xenozilla. Especially not with Shin Godzilla. Or Hedorah.

They mostly come out in Tokyo Bay.. mostly.

You'd have godzilla xenmorphs instead like how when they return to earth after a long time in Planet of the Monsters and the entire ecology and every animal is Godzilla-adjacent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
For only $864 you can shoot a xenomorph at the range.

No lie, I kinda want this.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

someone in the comments called it a "clicker head". :argh:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Ghostnuke posted:

They also sell clicker heads. The nature of Etsy is that reviews for all products by a seller are shown on every page for that seller, with a link to the product that was bought.

I got a really nice Weyland Yutani logo tee from Etsy a few weeks back, much better prices there than those merch sites like Last Exit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghostnuke posted:

There's a little link under the comment that shows they bought a clicker head.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

ugh, FINE

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

We all know the correct Titanic crossover. (It was originally a cover to G Fan magazine in the 90s.)

No I don't want to think about a Xenozilla. Especially not with Shin Godzilla. Or Hedorah.

They mostly come out in Tokyo Bay.. mostly.

Shin Godzilla already has Xenomorphs, what are you talking about?!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey free challenge cards

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Been thinking about Aliens Fireteam a lot. It's a really good game. Haven't been this pleasantly surprised since doom2016.

E: only complaints are you can't see poo poo through flamethrowers (who cares because it looks awesome) and I want more maps

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 10, 2021

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
The Alien RPG books that have come out over the past couple years are amazing

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

old beast lunatic posted:

Been thinking about Aliens Fireteam a lot. It's a really good game. Haven't been this pleasantly surprised since doom2016.

E: only complaints are you can't see poo poo through flamethrowers (who cares because it looks awesome) and I want more maps

The small flamethrower kinda sucks, but the heavy incinerator is rad. I only use it in games with bots tho, cos I am burnin every motherfucker

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Last nitpick is I wish they could've used the movie soundtrack. The stuff they have isn't bad at all it's just that tuba heavy action music is as much "Aliens" to me as the pulse rifle sound.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Speaking of Aliens music, I'll always remember first seeing the ending and realizing, "Holy poo poo THIS is where that music comes from!"

Up to that point I had honestly thought "Bishop's Countdown" was just some kind of generic library music made for use in movie trailers and such. I was instantly filled with pride that such an iconic piece of media history came from Aliens (I'd already been a fan for years having seen Alien and Alien3).

What's everyone's favorite trailer (or whatever) to make use of Aliens' score? I think mine's Misery: https://youtu.be/XHQ9CPRfDsw

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My favorite reusing of the Aliens soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVeVf03SkVU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Android Apocalypse posted:

My favorite reusing of the Aliens soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVeVf03SkVU

Like yeah, of course it's gotta be this.

I always wanted Karl to get away, mainly because he was so likable in Witness and The Money Pit.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

David Copperfield gets points for not just doing a needle drop but giving us a sampler of the whole Aliens soundtrack album. Thanks, Mr. Copperfield! https://youtu.be/4DcxK19Lx9E

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

old beast lunatic posted:

Last nitpick is I wish they could've used the movie soundtrack. The stuff they have isn't bad at all it's just that tuba heavy action music is as much "Aliens" to me as the pulse rifle sound.

The soundtrack is clearly well-composed by someone who respects the source material, but yeah it's a bit much at times. The orchestration during Giants In the Earth felt like something out of a Star Wars game.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Because it was James Horner's MO to basically cobble together his scores from his previous work and random classical pieces (something he was shameless and unapologetic about - the guy was doing samples and mashups in orchestral form before it was even a thing), it means trailers were using Aliens music before Aliens even existed!

https://youtu.be/XIKOY7ZASlU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Chunks of Aliens' score in particular are from Horner's score for Wrath of Khan and it owns that the music is so effective in two sci-fi movies that couldn't be more different.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Speaking of Aliens music, I'll always remember first seeing the ending and realizing, "Holy poo poo THIS is where that music comes from!"

Up to that point I had honestly thought "Bishop's Countdown" was just some kind of generic library music made for use in movie trailers and such. I was instantly filled with pride that such an iconic piece of media history came from Aliens (I'd already been a fan for years having seen Alien and Alien3).

What's everyone's favorite trailer (or whatever) to make use of Aliens' score? I think mine's Misery: https://youtu.be/XHQ9CPRfDsw

Did you know in the book she cut his feet off?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Chunks of Aliens' score in particular are from Horner's score for Wrath of Khan and it owns that the music is so effective in two sci-fi movies that couldn't be more different.

This comment would work better if it wasn't the most exciting and gripping TOS movie

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Did you know in the book she cut his feet off?

I think just one foot.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I honestly can't say which would be worse :stare:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I honestly can't say which would be worse :stare:
In the book it was the foot on the leg that had been horribly mangled in the car crash and there's a line in the epilogue which says the prosthetic was probably more functional than the remains of his foot would have been. On the other hand, in the book she also cut off his thumb

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Neo Rasa posted:

Vasquez: you have been, and always shall be, an rear end in a top hat

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Goldie Hawn thriller with the dad from Home Alone? Bishop's Countdown makes it work. https://youtu.be/YjRVKP1pGPM

George Clooney. Quentin Tarantino. But the REAL star: Aliens music. https://youtu.be/6RF0hYk7tc8?t=51s

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Even as a Horner fan it's hard not to think he's just being lazy when you hear him reference the same Russian ballet for the tenth time, but in the Star Trek II & Aliens example you can kind of see his point that you didn't necessarily have to be so strict about melodies in an hour-plus movie score whose main function was mood setting and pacing, because they each come off as very distinct works despite all the similarities.

In this clip Horner tosses in portions of his Ceti Alpha V music from Star Trek, Khachaturian's Gayane ballet suite, and his Wolfen theme all into a blender and sets it to a pounding military rhythm. If it's plagiarism it's at least creative plagiarism, and drat if it isn't effective: https://youtu.be/aHjRQJZsUGg

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
so youre saying that james horner is the noel gallagher of score writing

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

I think just one foot.

that is somehow worse

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just played some more Fireteam.

I'm a fan of the demolisher. I love my smart gun.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Just played some more Fireteam.

I'm a fan of the demolisher. I love my smart gun.

Smart gun feels really satisfying to shoot in this game.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

GeauxSteve posted:

Smart gun feels really satisfying to shoot in this game.

Not as satisfying as plunking down the flamer turret surrounded by all the turrets you brought with your and all the turrets you picked up during the level, and then just leaning back and watching the pretty lights.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The M56 is particularly satisfying when you realize you can unlock and look away and it will still fire at your target.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Mister Speaker posted:

The soundtrack is clearly well-composed by someone who respects the source material, but yeah it's a bit much at times. The orchestration during Giants In the Earth felt like something out of a Star Wars game.

Yeah I don't mean to poo poo on the soundtrack because I do love the obvious care that went into parts to make it sound alien-y. If I could have some of the movie soundtrack I'd like it in adition to instead of a replacement.

I think I've decided i'm only going to use the flamethrower with friends or solo because i just can't not feel like an rear end in a top hat using it. An awesome rear end in a top hat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I get a giggle every time a friend gets pounced by a Prowler and I declare “I WILL SAVE YOU” and then use the flamethrower to get it off my friend. I’m helping! :downs:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't like the flamethrowers, but I've come to love the flame turret. It's really great at mopping up all the chaff that makes it to your line.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The flame turret is goddamn fantastic against Aliens and pathogen.

Completely useless against synths though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The flame turret is goddamn fantastic against Aliens and pathogen.

Completely useless against synths though.

No one likes hot milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hey friends, is there a particular blu-ray pack that includes Aliens director's cut and the assembly cut of Alien 3?

I have a friend that hasn't seen the movies and I want to make sure he sees the turret scene in Aliens, and assembly cut isn't nearly as bad as the theatrical release.

Also, in case this hasn't been posted yet:

NERF pulse rifle