Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

PageMaster posted:

New Tales good?

I've liked the tales games since Symphonia, with that and Abyss being favorites, but I think a lot of that is nostalgia. I bounced off the more recent ones because the dungeons and puzzles were so simple and boring and I felt like I had to do a lot more grinding to keep up with money/skills. I'm sure it's been like this a lot, it just hasn't bugged me until I got older. New game looks really good, are dungeons good? Like they're not just square/linear rooms where you're just walking to the button/action to keep moving onward?

I had the same feeling: what killed a lot of recent Tales games for me was the worlds/dungeons being reduced to very bland, linear, uninspired, cookie-cutter designs without puzzles/exploration/good music, with Berseria representing the worse of this. From what I can tell by watching what little footage I could without spoiling myself, the environments and dungeons in Arise generally seem to be a bit more open, intricate and visually interesting than just copy-paste maze-like corridors, though it also seems like, unfortunately, it is a bit superficial, as while they can be a treat to the eyes, they still seem to be very linear and without puzzles or significant exploration besides maybe finding an apple gel tucked in a corner. Still, it's a bit early to tell.

Keep the impressions coming everyone: like seeing the various opinions about this. It's funny that I was hoping that this would be the game I'd want to get back into Tales with, but now it just sounds like, before trying this game out, I really should give Berseria a second chance, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm confused about how to choose which skills to use/unlock in this. It's my first Tales game. It seems like there are multiple skills that do the same thing; the descriptions don't seem to indicate if they do different damage. I've just been using the skills semi-randomly.

Happy to see I'm not the only one who couldn't finish FF6.

Just try them out and pick the ones that either feel the best to use, or that you can combo the most with. If there's a boss you are struggling with try to work in an elemental counter.

Personally I'm a big fan of the linear level design of Arise, but I'll admit to just being really sick of all the games with unnecessarily large maps or open worlds. There isn't that much branching, but everywhere you explore is going to have a reward and most of them are worthwhile.

I like the game overall better than Berseria. Berseria has better writing, but falling short of that is a problem most games are going to have. The gameplay and everything else is a fair bit better, I was worn out of Berseria combat not that long into the game. I haven't found that the bosses, even the humanoid ones, have too much health at all. They feel just tough enough to encourage you to prepare beforehand and use your items without hoarding them. Like the second big boss is way, way easier if you take the games really big in your face hints and equip some anti-light element accessories.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm confused about how to choose which skills to use/unlock in this. It's my first Tales game. It seems like there are multiple skills that do the same thing; the descriptions don't seem to indicate if they do different damage. I've just been using the skills semi-randomly.

Happy to see I'm not the only one who couldn't finish FF6.

With attacking skills it's basically boiling down to what each one does rather than what does the most damage. Some moves are good for stringing combos together, some for launching, some do certain elemental damage, etc, etc. Instead of worrying about which one does the most damage it's more important to find a combo set that feels comfortable to you and allows you to string moves together in long effective chains.

One thing to keep in mind is that eventually you'll unlock the ability to do one-hit kills on enemies. However to do that you need to string a long combo together which eventually breaks them and opens up the ability to do that special attack. This gets easier to do as they get lower on HP but learning how to string combos together means you can hit it as early as 1/2 their HP bar.

Generally what you want to do is find a combo string that works for you and then maybe use your second Artes bar for elemental or more specialized attacks. Obviously this varies from character to character but the most important thing is to have a base set of skills that work well for you. For Alphin you'll also want to consider what Blazing Sword attacks they channel into, for Rinwall and Shionne you'll need to balance instant attacks with casting attacks (and with Rinwall what spells combo into better spells) and so-on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 12, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

FutureCop posted:

I had the same feeling: what killed a lot of recent Tales games for me was the worlds/dungeons being reduced to very bland, linear, uninspired, cookie-cutter designs without puzzles/exploration/good music, with Berseria representing the worse of this. From what I can tell by watching what little footage I could without spoiling myself, the environments and dungeons in Arise generally seem to be a bit more open, intricate and visually interesting than just copy-paste maze-like corridors, though it also seems like, unfortunately, it is a bit superficial, as while they can be a treat to the eyes, they still seem to be very linear and without puzzles or significant exploration besides maybe finding an apple gel tucked in a corner. Still, it's a bit early to tell.

Keep the impressions coming everyone: like seeing the various opinions about this. It's funny that I was hoping that this would be the game I'd want to get back into Tales with, but now it just sounds like, before trying this game out, I really should give Berseria a second chance, haha.

This is kind of where I am reading the past couple of pages, too, but I also have nier automata available; if that's like the first it's a little more depressing than I was in the mood for and the tales games have always been cheerful and comedic for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nier Automata is absolutely brilliant.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thanks for the explanations re: skills. So far it doesn't seem like the SP costs for unlocking skills are that high, so I guess I'll try to unlock the ones I can to try them out.

One other question - for party members controlled by the AI, does it matter at all which Artes you set as the three main ground/aerial ones? Or will they just freely use everything that you leave checked in the other Artes selection screen?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Thanks for the explanations re: skills. So far it doesn't seem like the SP costs for unlocking skills are that high, so I guess I'll try to unlock the ones I can to try them out.

One other question - for party members controlled by the AI, does it matter at all which Artes you set as the three main ground/aerial ones? Or will they just freely use everything that you leave checked in the other Artes selection screen?

Pure personal preference but Alphen flame skill that hurts him to use deals extremely good damage so taking the skills that up its damage and importantly makes that attack faster to come out are really good buys. You also unlock lots of moves just by doing moves so honestly unless your say buying leg arts so the character who needs them to get a new title has them, you can deprioritize those.

For other characters you'll see skills that make them better at what they do so often those are hot priorities versus another skill. Always be trying to unlock new titles if you can, since getting it gives you one free skill and they can be some real good stuff.

Excited to see if the skill shionne gets that restores CP after fights if she is full is a trap option or not.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

MonsterEnvy posted:

Put simply Dohalim was just kind of lazy. The only reason he was not a tyrant like the other lords is cause sad slaves reminded him of bad events in his past, and because he did not actually want to take part in the contest which a lot of Renans in his employ took as an insult, so they started sabotaging him for some other lord. Dohalim and Kisara feel they could have actually looked a bit beyond the surface to see if there were other problems.

ImpAtom posted:

The issue is that they didn't solve racism. Dohalim basically just didn't want to be a bastard because it made him feel bad for personal reasons but he did absolutely nothing beyond the surface level required to actually sustain things. He didn't actually want to make things better, he just wanted to make himself feel better, which is what gets pointed out. Rather than working to create a lasting peaceful society he basically set up the kingdom to fail the moment anything went wrong or the moment he left or was replaced. The reason things went so wrong with the Hollowing under his watch was because he wasn't really paying attention beyond just not being a complete bastard.

Kisara thought he was being genuine with his beliefs and supported him but had to come to the realization that poo poo was actually still very very bad and Dohalim is culpable in that because he was basically only paying lip service towards the ideals that she believed in wholeheartedly,

Yeah I understand this and I'm glad he and Kisara both admitted they were complacent in the end, it was a good couple of monologues. What I felt was that the thing that actually went wrong in Elde Menancia wasn't quite an impactful consequence of that? It wasn't because he half-assed his governance or didn't understand what people actually wanted, he just got blindsided by external sabotage. I don't think it's a gigantic plothole or anything, maybe just a little bit of wasted potential (insert screenshot here).

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
This game is so pretty, I love the visual style so much. I just keep looking at stuff

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The bosses really are poo poo. The fun in the combat system comes from staggers and juggles and you can't do any of that to the bosses. They're also tuned such that you're supposed to put -50% rings on everyone, which is annoying and dumb. I just knock it down to "Story' difficulty when I know a boss fight is coming up and stay on Hard the rest of the time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm really enjoying Arise. Just got Dohalim and cruising around the fourth area. I like the story a lot so far and the different spin in each place. I've been playing as Shionne the entire time because I can't get over having a gun and being able to survey the battle more easily. I'm glad Dohalim has heals because now I can just blast monsters and use all my cool poo poo.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The bosses really are poo poo. The fun in the combat system comes from staggers and juggles and you can't do any of that to the bosses. They're also tuned such that you're supposed to put -50% rings on everyone, which is annoying and dumb. I just knock it down to "Story' difficulty when I know a boss fight is coming up and stay on Hard the rest of the time.

I've been enjoying them playing on moderate or whatever it is. I don't mind mucking around with making sure I'm using the right Artes and rings though.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Can I geet a rough feel for how many consumables other people are using on hard, Now I've gotten the combat down i'm "Only" having to use 1-3 oranges per boss fight, usually due to AI party members dying.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 12, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stormgale posted:

Can I geet a rough feel for how many consumables other people are using on hard, Now I've gotten the combat down i'm "Only" having to use 1-3 oranges per boss fight, usually due to AI party members dying.

Similar. I was an idiot drinking life potions like not tomorrow before I realised the gels are more cost effective.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nucular Carmul posted:

This game is so pretty, I love the visual style so much. I just keep looking at stuff

I love the spell effects. especially the thunder and lightning themed ones, they just please my brain in no other way (lightning thrust :allears:)

e: I can only hope Indignation is in this game somewhere and it is jaw droppingly beautiful

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 12, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Been playing on Moderate and bosses are indeed pretty rough. Only had to turn the difficulty down for the sewer boss though, oddly enough. Just got to the main city of area 3 and dang it's pretty out here.

Also I really love how the menu background keeps changing based on what's going on. Seeing it go from the dramatic art of Rinwell & Law to a big party shot was super neat.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 12, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is it me or do they really drip feed you SP in this game? I'm about five hours in right now and I'm still unlocking new titles way, way faster than I can buy the skills, really starting to make me look at those DLC boosters with suspicion

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You get a lot more as you go onwards. Plus when you unlock chain battles that REALLY increases how many you get per fight

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

You get a lot more as you go onwards. Plus when you unlock chain battles that REALLY increases how many you get per fight

Okay that's good to know, thanks : )

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

multijoe posted:

Is it me or do they really drip feed you SP in this game? I'm about five hours in right now and I'm still unlocking new titles way, way faster than I can buy the skills, really starting to make me look at those DLC boosters with suspicion

You're five hours into a JRPG. You're not supposed to have all those skills yet no lol

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does Shionne legit have no moves that put her in the air?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Junpei posted:

Does Shionne legit have no moves that put her in the air?

Nah you have to jump. Who cares though when you unlock 6 Artes it's easy to swivel between shooting and casting attacks.

Also all her air shooting attacks seem to miss anyway. You get some ok attack that pop up enemies so you can take advantage of anti air which is where it's at.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I've played this game up to the 2nd boss now. Some impressions:

This game has the problem of many modern JRPGs where it cannot decide whether it wants to be a "classical" JRPG where stats and choosing the right build for your character are the most important thing a or an action RPG where you need to react and counter the enemy's attacks. It's an awkward mix where the RPG elements are rather shallow but the action part isn't really that robust either. Specifically, if the game wants me to perfect dodge things it should give them more obvious tells. It was fine when I just had Shionne with me but with 3 AI controlled party members running around, shouting on top of each other and pelting the enemy with particle effects, any audiovisual cues the enemy's attacks may have are simply drowned out. It's especially bad if you fight small humanoid enemies like the 2nd boss who are barely even visible when everyone's attacking them. There's a reason proper action games like Sekiro always make the bosses larger than you.

Adding to that, the game would be much more fun if you were limited to 1 AI companion you could swap out easily while still having access to everyone's boost attack. Having a full party with you at all times seems like a relic from times where JRPGs didn't try as hard to be action games. With the way it is now, all your non-healer party members are really doing in boss fights is getting themselves killed and getting YOU killed by making it harder to dodge.

In spite of all of this, I'm having a lot of fun with the combat overall, at least when I'm fighting trash mobs or bigger bosses. The attacks all feel very powerful and encounters usually don't take too long. It's extremely satisfying to combo into a boost finisher. I just wish it was all a bit more polished and readable when it comes to enemy tells.

This post is getting rather long, so I'll write about my story/world impressions later on, which are much more positive.

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 12, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You should probably unlock the actual combat system if you're up to the second boss.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So the first boss on normal killed my rear end dead numerous times and I had to chug life bottles/orange gels

Part of me likes difficulty in games but is it normal for everything to like... one shot me or two? That's kind of insane punishment for trying to get used to the controls

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm real conflicted on this game. I'm playing on Hard and the combat is good (beat the first Lord), but the story, dialogue and characters are painfully cliche. I almost felt like I was playing the first hour of Berseria and kept waiting for a twist that would make anything interesting, but none has appeared yet. Every character so far is someone I've seen in about 100 jrpgs before, and the dialogue is Fallout 4 quality. I will probably keep playing for a bit, but if it doesn't get better I don't think I'll finish it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there a way to set up the gambits so that Rinwell will only cast Sharpness on a character that needs it, whenever they need it? So far I've found 'never casts it', 'casts it on every party member once but that's it' and 'never loving stops casting it ever to do anything else.'

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm curious how many of you have played a Tales game that isn't Berseria.

Just saying. The story isn't as good as Berseria but compared to most other Tales games, Arise is honestly on the higher end of good Tales stories and it's jarring seeing complaints about the story being bad in this thread when it's been praised everywhere else is just baffling to me.

Are you all just like, two hours into the game or something?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Are you all just like, two hours into the game or something?

Four. But I don't think there's anything wrong with having standards. I haven't played a non-Berseria tales game before, but if this is on the high end, I shudder to think about how the others are.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Elswyyr posted:

Four. But I don't think there's anything wrong with having standards. I haven't played a non-Berseria tales game before, but if this is on the high end, I shudder to think about how the others are.

I got bored of berseria but I've played this all weekend and I'm at the end of the fourth area and it's much more fun. The dialogue seems exactly the same to me, anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the dialogue in this game is pretty good to me and much, much better than fallout 4. the tones different than berseria but that doesnt make it bad or anything. i feel like people went into this expecting it to be some massive twist on rpg conventions when it never advertised itself as one and its not trying to be.

now if you think the writing's bad at being a fairly standard rpg that's one thing but i dont think it's fair to criticize something for not doing a thing it isn't even trying to do. if you looked at berseria as a traditional rpg hero's journey itd also suck at being that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Endorph posted:

the dialogue in this game is pretty good to me and much, much better than fallout 4. the tones different than berseria but that doesnt make it bad or anything. i feel like people went into this expecting it to be some massive twist on rpg conventions when it never advertised itself as one and its not trying to be.

now if you think the writing's bad at being a fairly standard rpg that's one thing but i dont think it's fair to criticize something for not doing a thing it isn't even trying to do. if you looked at berseria as a traditional rpg hero's journey itd also suck at being that.

Yeah it's basically berseria with better graphics and differently focused anime melodrama. I am getting a kick out of each Lord's land being a cute little curve ball.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So the first boss on normal killed my rear end dead numerous times and I had to chug life bottles/orange gels

Part of me likes difficulty in games but is it normal for everything to like... one shot me or two? That's kind of insane punishment for trying to get used to the controls

The first boss, and so far every subsequent lord boss, have a defensive accessory item in their dungeon that reduces the damage type they deal by 50%. By the second you can make more of them if you want your whole team geared out. If you aren't using those, the first moreso than the others, you'll get bodied when hit.

Alternately being totally honest the human fights are kind of bad and theres no penalty dropping difficulty to story for the lord bosses and swapping back after

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So far (just done the second Lord) I've beaten all bosses first go on normal, use your items, use the accessories that reduce whatever element they do by half. Second Lord even has a skit beforehand going 'hey this guy uses light and lightning attacks maybe you should prepare for that'.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

is there any way to get Shionne's AI to do her poison attack? If she doesn't have any moves that put her in the air, will the AI just never do air based attacks and will I need to do poison application myself?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Rinwell just joined my party a bit ago. The three arte mapping still feels super limiting on everyone but Alphen (and even then, him too) the girls basically don't have much in the way of aerials yet, and pick 3 out of 5-7 for ground feels pretty bad, how far in do you get extended mapping? I usually like to try a bit of everyone, but I'm not super gelling with Shionne right now because she'll whiff basic attacks all day if you're even thinking of nudging the left stick.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

JBP posted:

You should probably unlock the actual combat system if you're up to the second boss.

I'm genuinely a bit confused by this. Do you mean I'm playing wrong or that I need to progress further to unlock more mechanics?

Continuing my effortpost from above, as far as the story goes, I think this is one of the better JRPG's I've played so far. It's all based on well-worn tropes but it's executed wonderfully with strong characterisation all around. You'd have to have never read a book or seen a movie to not expect that Zephyr's gonna get murdered by some villain but when it did happen it was still a great and moving scene. I also expected the silver sword leader to be a traitor, but him being Ganabelt himself was a nice twist.

It's clear that the designers spent a lot of time on the facial animations and body language of each character. One neat little detail is how Shionne is always standing a bit apart from the rest of the group, for instance. There's also some neat environmental storytelling going on in spite of environments not being too detailed, if you look at the first and second boss dungeon for example. Those fit the personalities of their rulers very well.

The quick pacing helps a lot too, I felt that Tales of Berseria had a much slower start for instance, and don't get me started on something like Persona 5. I also appreciate that they don't try too hard to make you like the characters, as some JRPGs (like Persona 5) try to do. Shionne is allowed to come of as very abrasive and downright rude even, and while she does have some endearing qualities, they are not overplayed. The characters also don't just revolve around the MC, Shionne and Rinwell are allowed to have their own rivalry with some begrudging respect thrown in.

The environments are nice to look at and I'm fine with the game being somewhat janky since it's made up by some great art design. I do wish they were a bit more expansive though, it's especially notable in a forest in the second area where Alphen complains about getting lost while you can see on the map that it's basically a single path with some little side branches.

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 12, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If you want your party members to use certain artes in a battle you can go to the artes menu during battle and command them to use an arte.

So if you want Rinwell to use Sharpness just on say Alphen you can just manually command her to do so.

Aquasnake posted:

Rinwell just joined my party a bit ago. The three arte mapping still feels super limiting on everyone but Alphen (and even then, him too) the girls basically don't have much in the way of aerials yet, and pick 3 out of 5-7 for ground feels pretty bad, how far in do you get extended mapping? I usually like to try a bit of everyone, but I'm not super gelling with Shionne right now because she'll whiff basic attacks all day if you're even thinking of nudging the left stick.

You will get extended mapping once you get past the Third Lords area.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but that's annoying for buffs they in theory should be casting on their own.

The one time I tried that with Shionne's poison attack she just stood in place and did it when the enemy was nowhere near and I made this face 😐

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah but that's annoying for buffs they in theory should be casting on their own.

The one time I tried that with Shionne's poison attack she just stood in place and did it when the enemy was nowhere near and I made this face 😐

She's been reliable when I have asked her to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sakurazuka posted:

If you go into the detailed Strategy menu, you can set when your allies cast Buffs in there. (Because buffs also cost CP)