Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Synthbuttrange posted:

see if you can spot the two points where he took over art for Star Power.

he took over twice?

also LMAO I just poked through the archives for the first time I wasn't here for this whole arc, seeing the Deegan art in the middle of the otherwise professional grade comic run is loving amazing

I really want to know if there were any readers who didn't know about DD who got to see that transition and know their reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, once for a holiday special and once for Mookie's issue. That said I'd say a big other reason for the drop is the release schedule of the comic slowing wayyyyy down. Near the end it was taking them a full year to get out 3 issues, which INCLUDED Mookie's issue.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Chapter 22: The Oracle Hunter [Part 3]

Again, the gravity situation is totally undermined by the jokey comic characters not taking it seriously. It sort of reminds me of the battle droids in the prequel trilogy, suck the energy out of tense battle scenes with their wacky Three Stooges hijinks. Quilt is that. Anything he's added to instantly becomes silly and not scary. Let me remind you that the threat here is literally supposed to be an assassin trying to kill the protagonist

Meaningless Jurassic Park reference, and also get again talk about this magic face blindness which doesn't actually seem to matter at all when you think about it. What does this anonymity grant the Oracle Hunter? As far as we can tell she doesn't need it to get close to her targets at all, she just comes in blade swinging so it's not like not knowing her face is somehow a disadvantaged to the heroes. No, that magic literally only exist to justify the misdirect that Mookie is trying to set up.

It looks like they have a plan, but they really don't. Quilt going to warn Gregory and Donovan will have actually no effect on what actually transpires, and more effect what turns out to be their plan to stop the Oracle Hunter. You can really feel Mookie ad-libbing the strips at this point. There's simply no flow to any of the actions and things happen with zero consequence or follow-through.

I let this one slide because obviously Barnett has made some inquiries about Dex for her to wear the facemask, but I hate this when he retort that would really only make sense if the characters knew each other more than not at all. Whose benefit is this for? And also we remembers whether or not "not taking your eyes off the interceptor" is even a slaughterball thing. Has it been established? Who cares it vaguely sounds like a saying in the real world so Mookie will include it

And with this little window into Donovan and Miranda's marriage we realize yet again that the Deegans are all horrible people. It's also interesting that once again Mookie focuses on on the idea of infidelity. It comes up so often in DD. And it's the unquestioning way in which people treat essentially nonmarital sex as bad so telling of Mookie. This makes it sound like part of Donovan's past before marrying was the freelove bard stereotype, which makes it weird to consider why he would fall in love and marry with someone who would scry his entire love life. It's creepy, but apparently Donovan didn't think so. And then there's the question of what exactly Miranda would've done if she found out that Donovan did have a child out of wedlock. Would that be a dealbreaker for her? Would she hunts the kid down? Is it an inheritance thing?

Mookie doesn't bother thinking up reasons why Miranda would be motivated to do what she did, nor what it would say about her character. You just assume that it was correct and that Donovan is the wrong one for having lied about the fact that one woman might exist who could hide the existence of a child from Miranda the all seeing snoop. She's obviously going to forgive him instantly in a confrontation later, but it's really clear with the way Mookie frames at that he thinks Miranda is in the right. And again it's about this desire to control a partner and no everything about them in a creepy possessive way.

See what I mean about how none of the actions with Quilt and Garritt mattered. She's instantly at the house, so the warning was literally pointless, and she could apparently trip travel the same speed as a football pass through the streets of Barthis. We also get the introduction of more meaningless magical nonsense, like spell wards that are just the lasers from that resident evil scene.

In fact almost positive that that's directly what inspired this, though I don't know if the timelines match up. Obviously this by going through lasers is just a generic image as well so it could easily have been some other James Bond related thing or something. But still it's great that we get yet more filler of useless nonsense that is neither visually impressive nor useful to the plot at all.

Now here's where we get into some real nonsense. What exactly is going on with the sword swings in this strip. First, looks like she's swinging the blade the wrong way, with the obvious flat blunt edge leading. Maybe that's why she manages not to hit Greg despite his motion really not getting out of the way all. Then she gets close enough to throw sand directly into his mouth, which is a unique take on the sand in eyes probe. Then Donovan uses some sort of anime ninja move from a videogame to cut the glasses and mask off her face??? It's such an absurd thing for him to do, why doesn't he incapacitate her first? Again just more buildup for the stupid misdirect.

So all the defences have failed, basically almost instantaneously, and now we get this. I actually can't tell if Mookie was thinking this was genuine when he penned this strip or not. Like it really doesn't make sense that the defences were actually to defend against Dominic, because they were doing anything of the kind. But what's about to happen is so stupid and pointless that it makes me wonder if Mookie thought it would be cool if Dominic was actually possessed, then reversed course.

Because you get this big reveal, that makes absolutely no sense....

Good excuse to draw Barnet's entire butt crack though.

Only to have it revealed that it was all an illusion. Something that, given how prepared Barnet seems to have been, you'd think she would've prepared for. But no, there's no clever reason why this subterfuge to the worker and all the previous things they tried were instantly overcome. So I guess they just risked injury or death for Dex, Quilt, Gregory and Donovan for no reason.

I mean here's probably the biggest joke in DD history. Like it sure is true that the Oracle hunter does look like Luna, which you could tell previously. But that's only because all female and male characters look like in this strip. Literally only their hair distinguishes them, and Mookie only does about three or four different anime hairstyles. I almost swear that Mookie was trolling his audience with this, like saying "ha ha it was Luna all along but you couldn't tell that because my art is so lovely."

Makes no sense at all in terms of logic. It's one of those things that's only clever in the author's mind, because it comes off is way too contrived. It's really unclear to me exactly what the fog spell was supposed to be doing in this case anyway, apparently you forget the face but you do remember that it might look like someone else's face that you do know??? Mookie just writes himself into knots. But yes the big reveal is that Luna has yet another bitch sister who came out of the woodwork just to gently caress with Luna's life. Cinderella had better family relations than Luna does.

This is a little thing but I again hate how generic a setting Callan is. What does it mean about the setting that goggles to reveal magical spell wards are illegal, but the spell wards themselves are not? What would the wards have even done? Why are porter pellets illegal, when teleportation obviously isn't? Anti-non-magic user bias? Who knows! The important thing is that she had spy gear and it's a legal so you know she's a bad person! Also Dominic ominously says he's going to interrogate her, and it leads to quite possibly some of the most directly misogynistic imagery that appears in DD. Also see what I mean, Miranda is going to be irrationally angry about the fact that Donovan told her and ex-lover was dead, which was really just in hiding. And given the way Miranda is reacting, the question becomes whether Donovan was trying to protect this woman from Miranda irrationally going off and killing her? That seems to be the implication but obviously Mookie would never follow through with that.

Don't worry quilt, the answer to both those questions are incredibly stupid.

So here's an interesting two-parter. What Dominic is going to do to Barnet in the strips after this is torture. He's going to basically subject her to psychological abuse that does involve what appears to be pain sensations, as well as mental probing. He's going to justify this by saying that he is trying to save her life, in reference to Celesto killing her. But then Celesto is going to come in and torture her anyway. And I'm sorry but there's just no way for me to read it now without feeling like Mookie which is setting up so that he could draw someone who looked like his waifu in extreme pain and distress. There is at least one more full updates of strips in this arc because of the extended Barnet mindscape torture sequence.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 13, 2021

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I always imagined an overwhelming majority of Star Power readers must've been former Deegan fans, and it being a generic slog of a series whittled away at what was left.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

What Dominic is going to do to Barnet in the strips after this is torture.
I'd forgotten all about this and now it's all flooding back. It's right down there as one of the lowest acts Dominic does in the entire run.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

I never realized how big a part Quilt got to play in so much of OG Dominic Deegan, he must've been one of Mookie's favorite characters. And he aggressively sucks rear end. Just the worst. Every page with Quilt manages to waste time and not even come close to being funny. He never shuts the gently caress up, ruining the tone of every page he's on. I actually despise Quilt, it's completely unrealistic that nobody's ever tried to throttle him to death by now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jeez I blink and this comic has loving spandex superheroes again, I swear to god

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

only mookie thought spandex superheroes in a swords and sorcery setting was a good idea

and only mookie thought it was such a good idea despite what everyone said the first time, he done did it again

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
i didnt read most of the beginning of DD but ive been reading whats posted for awhile here and im confused about Luna and this chick being related. Is Luna not a different species than Barnet?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no Luna has a CURSE on her or some poo poo so she only looks like an orc

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress TRAP SPRUNG LET ME OUT

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And the reason none of her sisters have the tusks is because there isn’t a genetic component to it; it just randomly decides “gently caress YOU IN PARTICULAR” for any humans.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So Luna giving up her ability to have kids to save the orc lands was even more white savior bullshit. I see.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

and there was a guy with only one tusk cuz he took the other one out and this was a very emotional thing for some reason

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mx. posted:

only mookie thought spandex superheroes in a swords and sorcery setting was a good idea

and only mookie thought it was such a good idea despite what everyone said the first time, he done did it again

Ehhh. I still think it could work and even be pretty cool if done well. Just, you know, Mookie.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Jesus thats a weirder and much shittier explanation than I was expecting. Since she otherwise looks 100% human why doesnt she just remove the tusks? All this time I thought they were just an inter-species relationship lol

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

because alterists are ickyyyy

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mx. posted:

because alterists are ickyyyy

Do they not have normal dentists in this world that can just give em a good yank?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

no dentists, only magic

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

They can just yank the tusks out but then they end up like that one-tusk guy and are sad.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

if you yank out your tusks you get big time dysphoria

not sure if mookie has ever had orthodontic treatment

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Both times I've seen the cover of that book I immediately think of the Bors "Curious! I am very intelligent!" comic.

Mx. posted:

if you yank out your tusks you get big time dysphoria

not sure if mookie has ever had orthodontic treatment

On one hand since it's a curse, becoming incredibly depressed if you try and just pull the tusks out through normal dentistry kind of makes sense.

On the other had it's Luna who's a whiny sad sack even with the tusks so there's no real reason not to just pull them out.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mx. posted:

and there was a guy with only one tusk cuz he took the other one out and this was a very emotional thing for some reason

He pulled one out but before he could pull out the other he saw Luna and became ashamed of pulling the first one out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
IIRC pulling out the tusks pulls out part of your soul, so if you pull out both you become soulless or something.

Alterists changing them does the same thing. This is, of course, to make Luna more special since she's the only one who put up with it thanks to Dominic's "loving support."

Edit: I don't know why I remember this. Probably because the reveal was exceptionally dumb.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 12, 2021

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
How extremely convenient

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soul bone’s connected to the tooth bone.

Filing them down a bit isn’t permitted either?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Beelzebufo posted:

Chapter 22: The Oracle Hunter [Part 3]

In fact almost positive that that's directly what inspired this, though I don't know if the timelines match up. Obviously this by going through lasers is just a generic image as well so it could easily have been some other James Bond related thing or something. But still it's great that we get yet more filler of useless nonsense that is neither visually impressive nor useful to the plot at all.

I will say this, I like how the uber-penetrative qualities of her forcefield-slicing swords is emphasized by the blades poking through the borders of the panel she draws them in. I have given Mookie credit where he is due, and have done my good deed for the day.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

pulling out wisdom teeth also pulls out a part of your soul

prove me wrong

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Can confirm, I felt very drained after getting mine removed.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

IIRC pulling out the tusks pulls out part of your soul, so if you pull out both you become soulless or something.

Alterists changing them does the same thing. This is, of course, to make Luna more special since she's the only one who put up with it thanks to Dominic's "loving support."

Edit: I don't know why I remember this. Probably because the reveal was exceptionally dumb.

Think it was kind of only mentioned once at all maybe? I don't recall it coming up in the actual alterist arc.

Aside from that the situation was Luna is basically that her mother took her to an alterist as a child to have them removed but the alterist refused because at the time child Luna liked being an "orc princess." When she got older and started hating the tusks/herself, she tried to go back but her mom wouldn't pay for it because she was pissed about the first attempt being refused. Luna then started to dislike alterists because her mom/sister/other women she saw were using them for breast enhancements and other cosmetic things.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, Mookie totally made it up later when they introduce one tusk drummer to explain why he's just so angry and depressed during Greg's band arc; to explain that Tuskmouth Curse is both really common and simultaneously why only Luna has it.

It was just so stupid it stuck in my memory.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The band stuff always kind of amuses me because Mookie has this huge obsession with death metal and that kind of hardcore rocker image but also a complete aversion to any sort of actual "wild" behavior.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Bismuth posted:

Do they not have normal dentists in this world that can just give em a good yank?

They actually do explicitly have normal dentists in addition to alterists. Dominic got 2 of his teeth knocked out one of the times Celesto was jobbing for him. He later got them replaced with caps the same time he got his prosthetic leg Mookie never draws by covering it with jeans. Mookie brings it up very occasionally when he wants to pretend Dominic has flaws.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Soul bone’s connected to the tooth bone.

Filing them down a bit isn’t permitted either?

Filing them is never addressed. The drummer complains of a vague sense of malaise, but we never get the idea one would be harmed or killed if both tusks were altered, filed, or replaced with caps. Mookie just wants a fake problem for Luna so he can pretend she has actual flaws as a character aside from being insufferable.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Today I just learned the con Mookie is at has a cosplay competition... MCed by none other than a shirtless Mookie holding a stuffed bear with an eye patch he calls "Odin". God save us.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Today I just learned the con Mookie is at has a cosplay competition... MCed by none other than a shirtless Mookie holding a stuffed bear with an eye patch he calls "Odin". God save us.

How is an man this insufferable married lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Both times I've seen the cover of that book I immediately think of the Bors "Curious! I am very intelligent!" comic.

lol same, you'd think Mookie would be in enough of the internet comic sphere to have come across that at some point but I guess not

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bismuth posted:

Jesus thats a weirder and much shittier explanation than I was expecting. Since she otherwise looks 100% human why doesnt she just remove the tusks? All this time I thought they were just an inter-species relationship lol

diegetic nonsense explanations aside, the actual reason is that terraciano hates cosmetic surgery and body alteration and views everyone into these things with discomfort. to his very minor credit he eased up on that once trans people told him that these things are actually tremendously helpful for them, but only in the very narrow circumstances he considers permissible and still goes for the "wow look at these freaks" angle outside of that

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 12, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

... Does this apply only to curse tusks or bodily integrity as a whole? Because, oooh boy does this get awful if you start overthinking it through. If removing them purposely damages your soul, does accidentally knocking your teeth out do the same? If this applies to all bodily integrity, and I feel like it should because that's the whole thing with Dominic's necromancer brother isn't it, that he's hosed up because he's damaged his soul doing terrible things, and thematically "alteration magic for cosmetic purposes is awful and the people who do it are awful" lines up with that, then what happens if you lose a limb in an accident? Even if we say that intent matters and you have to do it on purpose, what if your arm is gangrenous and you need to amputate? If amputees have damaged souls, jesus christ does that have some bad implications.

If the soul is linked to bodily integrity, god forbid you're born without an arm or a leg in this world.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

a cartoon duck posted:

diegetic nonsense explanations aside, the actual reason is that terraciano hates cosmetic surgery and body alteration and views everyone into these things with discomfort. to his very minor credit he eased up on that once trans people told him that these things are actually tremendously helpful for them, but only in the very narrow circumstances he considers permissible and still goes for the "wow look at these freaks" angle outside of that

It probably falls under the same kind of jocks/sluts vs nerds/pure maidens dichotomy that he carries with him. Cosmetic surgery is vanity, it's about external appearances and not the ~beauty that's inside~, and therefore in the former, bad camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And it’s really grating when the subject of his “inner beauty is what counts!” arc is Pam, who’s about as conventionally attractive as his art gets.