Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Good news for all you mask wearers, the CDC is now recommending N95 masks for general use.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/types-of-masks.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Coincides with me needing to get some new masks in. I remember people posting links for some online stores they can vouch for when it comes to decent n95, any chance they can again? (Might be worth adding some to the OP too, as I checked there first and others might do too). Naturally, I don’t trust Amazon.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

EL BROMANCE posted:

Coincides with me needing to get some new masks in. I remember people posting links for some online stores they can vouch for when it comes to decent n95, any chance they can again? (Might be worth adding some to the OP too, as I checked there first and others might do too). Naturally, I don’t trust Amazon.

This guy went all in on N95s at the start, and is now getting screwed as Uncle Sam decided the domestic N95 manufacturing base it was trying to build up is no longer important.

https://www.armbrustusa.com/

I've ordered a bunch of their masks and am quite happy with them.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Other good sites are bonafidemasks.com and behealthyusa.net. The KF94s sold at the latter are also excellent filtration masks; they're basically the Korean version of KN95s.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know if any of the major sites sell masks that are larger than normal? I bought KN95s from bonafidemasks.com, and while they're legit, they're a bit small for my face and just end up hurting my nose. :o:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not a massive fan of how that site went from asking for an email address to get an order discount, to then wanting a cellphone number too after you provide it. Lost my business in an instant with that.

E: in response to the armbrustusa site.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EL BROMANCE posted:

McNugget Buddy posted:

Grainger - Disposable Respirators - N95 masks for sale
Goon recommended: 3M 8210

Bonafide Masks - Face Masks - KN95 masks for sale (coupon codes)
Goon recommended: Powecom KN95 with headband (black), Powecom KN95 with headband (white)

Be Healthy - KF94 masks for sale
Goon recommended: Bluna Facefit

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not a massive fan of how that site went from asking for an email address to get an order discount, to then wanting a cellphone number too after you provide it. Lost my business in an instant with that.

E: in response to the armbrustusa site.

:same:

Instead I just searched for a code and found "40off" which still works, so no need to sign up for the 30%

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
School board meetings are getting weirder

https://twitter.com/TheActivatedPod/status/1436709175233372162

Surprise twist that won't be a surprise at all to anyone who's been paying attention to similar school board shenanigans: he doesn't even have kids that attend school in that district

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 12, 2021

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Trust me, once you’ve met (and had to listen for two hours) to a properly trained Querdenker in Germany, your view about life, humanity as a whole, changes a lot.

The last time I had to go through it, my whole cognitive capabilities became numb, like when you cut blood circulation to your foot, and once you try to stand up/reboot your brain, all hell breaks loose.

Did I mention my brother is a Querdenker? I (and most of the family) avoid him like the plague since months, because he gets worse each time he visits, and the theories become more and more stupid and contradict each other more and more…but that’s because “he now understands what’s going on”.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Little known fact but the American Revolution started in 1776 when a bunch of Americans stormed the British Parliament and declared that they had a quorum and had just formed a new parliament and then told everyone else to leave, then when some guards tried to throw them out John Adams just kept shrieking at them about tyranny while Thomas Jefferson started delivering a sovcit speech

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
:psyduck:

well america still wins the contest of biggest. biggest nutjobs if that video is anything to go by. but german style sounds pretty close.

germany what the gently caress! i thought u knew better than this

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Our neighbouring country Austria has a - let's say - pretty right-wing billionaire, Dietrich Mateschitz (Red Bull). He also owns his own TV-Station (ServusTV). My other cool and good and not-Querdenker brother sent me a documentation on that "for review" (I think his words were "please, please send me enough facts back to destroy this") which my Querdenker-brother sent him.

The thing is called "Searching the truth about Corona", produced by ServusTV (and thus Mateschitz / Red Bull) and it's the most hosed up Querdenker gaslighting I have ever seen. I don't think it's available in english, but even if you speak german, I can only advice NOT to watch it, because it hurts. (e: I just realized it actually is in english, and fully subbed to german, but still...don't watch it, it hurts)

PS: it starts with the guy consulting DeSantis, and basically with the words "we all have to die one day", "it's not worse than the flu", "it only kills old people and on average only takes away one month from your life exeptancy". And it gets only worse from there....

e: regarding Germany: it's loving dire here. We are at 60% fully vaxxed, and that's it. The other 40% of the country either are anti-vaxxer (I have to deal with them daily, luckily in most cases not in person) or poo poo their pants because "I know someone who had a really bad reaction to the jab". Fun fact: for like ten years, my motto was "we are living way too good, this can't end well" because a big part of the country grew more and more (disgunstingly) selfish and self-centered.

No poo poo, my Querdenker-brother once said (without any irony): "They should vax the old ones way faster so Germany can open up. We haven't been to brunch for weeks".

tuo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 12, 2021

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

tuo posted:

Trust me, once you’ve met (and had to listen for two hours) to a properly trained Querdenker in Germany, your view about life, humanity as a whole, changes a lot.

The last time I had to go through it, my whole cognitive capabilities became numb, like when you cut blood circulation to your foot, and once you try to stand up/reboot your brain, all hell breaks loose.

Did I mention my brother is a Querdenker? I (and most of the family) avoid him like the plague since months, because he gets worse each time he visits, and the theories become more and more stupid and contradict each other more and more…but that’s because “he now understands what’s going on”.
Querdenker. ok hm. well this is the first time i've heard of this movement. and i have a feeling i'll be hearing of it more and more in the coming months. another beautiful mind virus.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

tuo posted:

Our neighbouring country Austria has a - let's say - pretty right-wing billionaire, Dietrich Mateschitz (Red Bull). He also owns his own TV-Station (ServusTV). My other cool and good and not-Querdenker brother sent me a documentation on that "for review" (I think his words were "please, please send me enough facts back to destroy this") which my Querdenker-brother sent him.

The thing is called "Searching the truth about Corona", produced by ServusTV (and thus Mateschitz / Red Bull) and it's the most hosed up Querdenker gaslighting I have ever seen. I don't think it's available in english, but even if you speak german, I can only advice NOT to watch it, because it hurts. (e: I just realized it actually is in english, and fully subbed to german, but still...don't watch it, it hurts)

PS: it starts with the guy consulting DeSantis, and basically with the words "we all have to die one day", "it's not worse than the flu", "it only kills old people and on average only takes away one month from your life exeptancy". And it gets only worse from there....

e: regarding Germany: it's loving dire here. We are at 60% fully vaxxed, and that's it. The other 40% of the country either are anti-vaxxer (I have to deal with them daily, luckily in most cases not in person) or poo poo their pants because "I know someone who had a really bad reaction to the jab". Fun fact: for like ten years, my motto was "we are living way too good, this can't end well" because a big part of the country grew more and more (disgunstingly) selfish and self-centered.

No poo poo, my Querdenker-brother once said (without any irony): "They should vax the old ones way faster so Germany can open up. We haven't been to brunch for weeks".
loving lol your right-wing nutjobs named themselves queerdunkers, the world itself is on-the-nose

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tuo posted:

Hello from Switzerland and our 53% vaccinated population that had none of Germany's supply issues. We're requiring a covid certificate to go to bars, restaurants, gyms, cinemas, museums, etc. nationwide starting tomorrow and these dumbasses have been kicking off all weekend. You can get a covid cert for being vaccinated, recovered or recently tested so people don't even have to get vaxxed but the free testing will stop October 1st--they already stopped offering free tests if you're vaccinated and non-symptomatic which is dumb as hell but at least it's fair now. I really doubt the covid certs are going to be well enforced, everyone seems to think that not being able to wear a mask properly makes you a big tough guy so I'm looking forward to the fourth wave when everyone wonders what we can possibly do now without forcing anyone to actually do anyting.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's pretty similar here. Once it was clear that the vax-rate stagnates here in germany, my first gut reaction was "make them pay for the tests"...they will do this here next month.

The mandate here now is that restaurants, cinemas etc. can decide for themselves if they do a 2G (which stands for "Geimpft and Genesen" => vaccinated or recovered) or 3G ("Geimpft, Genesen or Getested" => vaccinated, recovered or tested) mandate (some even do 1G, which means only vaccinated). But it is controlled pretty poorly in many cases.

As soon as the ICU rate climbs, they have to go back to 2G, or new lockdowns are imposed.

Also in some states teachers must have been vaccinated or have to be tested on a daily basis. Of course the wife of my dumb brother is a teacher (and also anti-vax), and I'm cuckling a bit that she has to turn up an hour early each day and will have to get tested daily.

Sadly, we are in full election mode at the moment, so no one really enforces all of this to not gently caress-off the 40% of non-vaxxers until after the election.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

what the hell switzerland, germany and denmark?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tuo posted:

It's pretty similar here. Once it was clear that the vax-rate stagnates here in germany, my first gut reaction was "make them pay for the tests"...they will do this here next month.

The mandate here now is that restaurants, cinemas etc. can decide for themselves if they do a 2G (which stands for "Geimpft and Genesen" => vaccinated or recovered) or 3G ("Geimpft, Genesen or Getested" => vaccinated, recovered or tested) mandate (some even do 1G, which means only vaccinated). But it is controlled pretty poorly in many cases.

As soon as the ICU rate climbs, they have to go back to 2G, or new lockdowns are imposed.

Sydney Australia is planning on doing something similar in 5 weeks except they don't have a passport system worked out yet and they're determined to not go back into lockdown again even if ICU rates climb

I'm predicting the result will be ......................................... not good

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was really pleasantly surprised with how well vaccination went here in Ireland - there was the usual antivax roaring on social media, but when it came time to get vaccinated, nearly everyone who can, has done so. We're vaccinating everyone over the age of 12 at the moment, and in nearly every age group, uptake has been over 90%. In the over 70s I think it's over 99% :unsmith:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pookah posted:

I was really pleasantly surprised with how well vaccination went here in Ireland - there was the usual antivax roaring on social media, but when it came time to get vaccinated, nearly everyone who can, has done so. We're vaccinating everyone over the age of 12 at the moment, and in nearly every age group, uptake has been over 90%. In the over 70s I think it's over 99% :unsmith:

I was just gonna say the same. We have all the usual idiots with their stickers and protests, but at the end of the day there's just... no real vaxx opposition. I think that final 10% won't move much though. Maybe next summer if it affects their trip to Tenerife or whatnot

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sydney Australia is planning on doing something similar in 5 weeks except they don't have a passport system worked out yet and they're determined to not go back into lockdown again even if ICU rates climb

Seeing as Germany fucks up everything about IT and digital projects, I'm actually pretty impressed that we have a really well functioning digital vaccination passport system for Corona. I mean, the servers went down regularly at the beginning, but the system itself works quite well. Once you got vaccinated, about a week or so later you get mail with a QRCode, download the passport app, and you simply scan the code to download the vax-info to your phone.

Once you go anywhere that needs proof of vaccination, you either bring the good old paper passport, or just show them the app and they can scan the code to make sure you are vaccinated.

We have similar apps for contact tracing, though that one is a bit more controversial.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was just gonna say the same. We have all the usual idiots with their stickers and protests, but at the end of the day there's just... no real vaxx opposition. I think that final 10% won't move much though. Maybe next summer if it affects their trip to Tenerife or whatnot

Covid conspiracy stickers have been appearing for the last few months in my town, but I'm pretty much certain it's just one loopy guy doing it. They appear over and over again in the same places and they tend to be the same ones for weeks at a time. The gemmaroids seem to have gone pretty silent too now that it's clear that they have close to zero support.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was just gonna say the same. We have all the usual idiots with their stickers and protests, but at the end of the day there's just... no real vaxx opposition.

The anti-vax protesters here in Melbourne have started putting up anti-semitic stickers (blaming the 911 attack on Jews, etc) as they pass through the city
https://www.news.com.au/world/coron...84743d434f81e89

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pookah posted:

Covid conspiracy stickers have been appearing for the last few months in my town, but I'm pretty much certain it's just one loopy guy doing it. They appear over and over again in the same places and they tend to be the same ones for weeks at a time. The gemmaroids seem to have gone pretty silent too now that it's clear that they have close to zero support.

I pulled one of the Bill Gates smiling face Covid hoax 5G stickers off a pole, and it came off so reusably that I brought it home and stuck it on my work laptop. A couple weeks later my laptop broke and I had to DHL it back to the office for a replacement, of course I forget to remove the sticker. I work for a big pharma company. Lol?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Failed Imagineer posted:

I pulled one of the Bill Gates smiling face Covid hoax 5G stickers off a pole, and it came off so reusably that I brought it home and stuck it on my work laptop. A couple weeks later my laptop broke and I had to DHL it back to the office for a replacement, of course I forget to remove the sticker. I work for a big pharma company. Lol?

Lol! I bet they'll pack it extra-full of microchips just for fun

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The anti-vax protesters here in Melbourne have started putting up anti-semitic stickers (blaming the 911 attack on Jews, etc) as they pass through the city
https://www.news.com.au/world/coron...84743d434f81e89

Who the gently caress in Australia gives a poo poo about 9/11

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pookah posted:

Well, yeah it's a laptop, I'd hope it had a few at least

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

It may surprise you to find out that one of the top 10 exports from the USA is conspiracy theories. They are pretty much everywhere now, 9/11 stuff included. Moon landing was fake. Guaranteed there are Australian flat earthers even though according to the prevalent strain of flat earthing, Australia is fake and all Australians are actors putting on a stupid accent.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pookah posted:

I'd like my Covid shot, medium extra chunky

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

There is a large chunk of Australia that believes Australia is a state of America.

That has been our foreign policy for the last 70 years, so I can see how the people get confused.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 12, 2021

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can we trade away American Australia for Canada instead?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

rt4 posted:

Can we trade away American Australia for Canada instead?

Ok, but no delivery. You have to come here and pick it up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cynic posted:

It may surprise you to find out that one of the top 10 exports from the USA is conspiracy theories. They are pretty much everywhere now, 9/11 stuff included. Moon landing was fake. Guaranteed there are Australian flat earthers even though according to the prevalent strain of flat earthing, Australia is fake and all Australians are actors putting on a stupid accent.

From a lockdown protest in Melbourne last year:

If someone is susceptible believing one conspiracy theory it's highly likely that they'll believe a whole bunch of other conspiracy theories as well because they all use the same forms of 'arguments' and push the same psychological buttons and the various online conspiracy communities have a fairly high amount of crossover. Qanon supercharged all this and became a crazy popular umbrella conspiracy group during Trump's presidency.

And of course if you drill down into pretty much any of these conspiracies (or just let a conspiracy theorist talk long enough) pretty much every time there'll be a whole lot of anti-semitism in the mix.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

wilderthanmild posted:

There's a new stupid thing I'm seeing floating around social media. People insisting that the Pfizer vaccine that got FDA approval isn't actually available and won't be until 2025 because the other one is "human testing". Some people are just so dumb.

My mom was asking about something like this. I don’t know if it’s the way the article presented it but something like “Pfizer has FDA approval on this new version of the vaccine” and she was thinking there were two vaccines from them and the one we’d all been getting still wasn’t approved. I don’t know if I convinced her they were the same and just a wording mistake.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Derf a herf, it's like she Googled "conspiracy theories" then cut and pasted every headline. Operation Paperclip, really???

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Gynovore posted:

Derf a herf, it's like she Googled "conspiracy theories" then cut and pasted every headline. Operation Paperclip, really???

I'm Lucifer Telescope

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'm Lucifer Telescope

Is that a Doom level?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tuo posted:

as funny as this sounds on paper, i'm honestly a huge opponent of this policy solely because that's basically what the state of hawaii did. except, they did it last year. they let some fuckin private companies set up shop like "want a covid test? $120 bitch!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

Is that a Doom level?

It's literally just an instrument on a telescope that some nerd shoehorned into an acronym of LUCIFER and then the internet did its thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

From a lockdown protest in Melbourne last year:

If someone is susceptible believing one conspiracy theory it's highly likely that they'll believe a whole bunch of other conspiracy theories as well because they all use the same forms of 'arguments' and push the same psychological buttons and the various online conspiracy communities have a fairly high amount of crossover. Qanon supercharged all this and became a crazy popular umbrella conspiracy group during Trump's presidency.

And of course if you drill down into pretty much any of these conspiracies (or just let a conspiracy theorist talk long enough) pretty much every time there'll be a whole lot of anti-semitism in the mix.

Where can I get a Lucifer Telescope?

Why is Operation Paperclip on there, that one isn't a conspiracy theory. That's like writing #COMPOUNDING INTEREST or #AUTOMOBILES