Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Isn't 9/11 the deadliest terror attack in *British* history as well? As in most Brits dead?
Opening a whole other :can:, I think that may still be the King David Hotel bombing for peacetime attacks, depending on how many of the Arab and Jewish victims would also have been considered British citizens by the citizenship laws of the time.

(And also, in the other direction, what one would consider peacetime, because British colonial governments loved sending 'police agents' into 'emergency operations' that resulted in a lot of 'non-wartime' citizen deaths for insurance purposes.)

e: The 27 Club is a term used to refer to popular musicians who have died at the age of 27 regardless of insurance definitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I was watching that 9/11 film the other night where it was a "live" playback of the events from the footage of people that were there.

You can feel the fear and paranoia all over again. Kinda got me wondering if things would have been any different if the 3rd or 4th plane had hit something like the Whitehouse or capital building.

To me, they're more historic landmarks so I can only imagine the end result would have been the same but with much more aggression.

Kin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 12, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Other than him being dead which I imagine he would have preferred to avoid, it's hard to think of anybody in recent history who has achieved their life goals better than bin laden tbh.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1436879842906103811

14,000 words, not a single policy.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Incredible. Truly beyond parody.

Can only imagine him coked out of his mind in Southside at 2am manically banging it out in all caps. No time to edit, it's due in the morning!

What about the policies, Kieth?

gently caress it, we don't need 'em, just vibes.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

can't help but admire his commitment to resets

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Presumably, then, his conference speech won't have any policies either.

Hard to imagine that going down well.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

The best part being that Raducanu is a Romanian immigrant, so the usual scum can't crow about how we got our first women's champion in 45 years as soon as we left the EU.

Her tennis outfit is suspiciously Blue, Red & Yellow(hat thingy).... i wonder whose national flag has those colours? ;)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
kieth stormer's 14,000 words

now translated into 88 languages

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

England passport plans ditched says Javid

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
The post-reset pre-reset reset.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Cool cool.

Cool cool cool

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Unsolvable technical issues finally becoming undeniable, or the outcome of a vicious factional fight behind the scenes? Place your bets!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Unsolvable technical issues finally becoming undeniable, or the outcome of a vicious factional fight behind the scenes? Place your bets!

The technical issues are all solved - the NHS app has been capable of doing it for over 6 months - and I don't even think the fight has been that vicious as everything is already open and nobody gives a poo poo.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah I mean the factional infighting was the anti-lockdown section of the party stealing some CCTV footage to force the pro lockdown Hancock out of office and then getting their crazy Ayn Rand quoting man into the job. From that point on its just been a steady march towards letting chaos reign.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Other than him being dead which I imagine he would have preferred to avoid, it's hard to think of anybody in recent history who has achieved their life goals better than bin laden tbh.

Nigel Farage has achieved his life goals even better than he could have dreamed. Probably killed more people in the process than bin Laden, too.

(Farage's real goal was always the grift, of course. But I'd far rather history saw him as evil, destructive and anti-British than as just a stupid conman who put himself out of a job.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I went out socially for the first time in months last night, I counted me and five others masked on the bus home (which was packed), a few workers in various places we passed, and that was it, literally no-one else was masked. Everyone has 100% stopped giving a poo poo.

It was fun and I definitely needed it, but back to being a masked hermit again!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I'm going away for a few days tomorrow (finally getting to use an airbnb voucher for a cancelled trip over a year ago). It includes 3h on a train.

So I will be wearing a mask and a visor on the train. Windows don't open on modern trains so ventilation will be crap.

I've no idea how many people might be on the train! If it turns out I'm alone in a carriage I might remove the visor.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm going away for a few days tomorrow (finally getting to use an airbnb voucher for a cancelled trip over a year ago). It includes 3h on a train.

So I will be wearing a mask and a visor on the train. Windows don't open on modern trains so ventilation will be crap.

I've no idea how many people might be on the train! If it turns out I'm alone in a carriage I might remove the visor.

Trains are still not as busy as they were pre-apocalypse but barely anyone on them bothers with masks anymore. Be safe.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

learnincurve posted:

I think it’s mandatory. For a bit my dad worked in “Washington DC, not Washington state, Washington DC” which is it’s actual real name.

No no, it's not Washington District of Columbia, it's Washington Direct Current, as opposed to the parts of Washington that use alternating current.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1436289376917540882

The opposite of an effortpost but of all the things to hate about loving pomo architecture, this relentless refusal to just have a loving right angle or an unbroken line is the worst and constitutes a clear and present danger to the innocent drinking population.

(I didn't actually fall over but did have a hell of a wobble because none of the buildings moved right as I walked past)

Pages late but is that around Old St? If so I remember looking at it out of a client's window trying to make it make sense, visually. It made me viscerally understand the concept of "blasphemous angles". It's loving non-Euclidean.

Ed: ah no, bet that was this one

goddamnedtwisto posted:

which is just outside Moorfields Eye Hospital for extra evil.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 12, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Runcible Cat posted:

Pages late but is that around Old St? If so I remember looking at it out of a client's window trying to make it make sense, visually. It made me viscerally understand the concept of "blasphemous angles". It's loving non-Euclidean.

Nah, it's on the Isle of Dogs next to Millwall Dock. The building you're thinking of is the one I posted later:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Admittedly it's nowhere near as evil as this piece of poo poo:

which is just outside Moorfields Eye Hospital for extra evil.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah, it's on the Isle of Dogs next to Millwall Dock. The building you're thinking of is the one I posted later:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=517623401

Yeah, definitely that one. Hostile architecture for sure; it was giving me a migraine just glancing at it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you could charge extra for rent because you’d be the only building on the street not to look out onto it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is Corbyn setting off celebratory fireworks?

It was our awesome street party. In CORBYN St.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Danecek3000/status/1436819950849699842

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If a group of Romanians moved in next door it might slightly reduce my own chances of winning a Grand Slam. Very concerning

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If a group of Romanians moved in next door and won a Grand Slam, I would simply retroactively call them British.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that oval office already done more resets than me playing sim city on snes

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Even the HMRC are saying 'hey this tax hike thing is a bad idea'.

Surely this wont go through?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
For the past 21 months we have had a government that does not find reality compelling, I'm not sure that HMRC could change that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

Even the HMRC are saying 'hey this tax hike thing is a bad idea'.

Surely this wont go through?

Have you got a link for that at all?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Guavanaut posted:

For the past 21 months we have had a government that does not find reality compelling, I'm not sure that HMRC could change that.

Phew just had to check I hadn't woken up in 2011

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

TBH this ignores that Emma Raducanu's parents are the "good" type of immigrants, i.e. Investment bankers from Canada

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have you got a link for that at all?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58536118

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Don't talk to me or my child country ever again
Very much the large adult son of international politics.

I was too busy respecting are troops and never forgetting yesterday (and feel like I've said before), but on that fateful day I was late for a shift at the university canteen, conference season. Was expecting a mouthful from the deputy manager who was a cortisol fuelled homunculus always yelling because of the amount of jobs he had to work to keep afloat above his array of child support and maintenence payments.

Instead he was just standing there watching the TV. I asked what was going on and he said something to the effect of 'some oval office flew a plane into the world trade center.' I think I said 'shiiit' or a noise to that effect ans went to start the prep, not really understanding why it was a huge deal compared to any of the other explosions around the world killing thousands.

https://twitter.com/Barcajim3/status/1436488278392377374?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

, not really understanding why it was a huge deal compared to any of the other explosions around the world killing thousands.

20 years on and we're no closer to understanding that one.

Not So Fast posted:

TBH this ignores that Emma Raducanu's parents are the "good" type of immigrants, i.e. Investment bankers from Canada

Ahem, we call those "ex-pats" thank you very much. Unless they're Irish, in which case they're still just "Pat's*

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ahem, we call those "ex-pats" thank you very much. Unless they're Irish, in which case they're still just "Pat's*
The one New York thing I will never forget is getting to the part of GTA4 where you find out what their abbreviation for Patrick is and going uuuhhhhhhhhh...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
tbf that was also an abbreviation that Pakistan used for their own cricket team until not too long ago, so it's just something else Brits ruined for everyone everywhere again.

You should hear what America used to call IBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thanks.

Interesting info:

median basic rate taxpayer's income of £24,100
median higher rate taxpayer's income of £67,100

Overall median is around £29.5k iirc.

Not sure about Stairmaster's 'tax landlords' idea - surely they would just add it on to rent as they used to do with the rates?
It could only go along with a revival of 'fair rents' or 'rent controls' so that couldn't happen.