Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Killing the big Zeugles gets you permanent +10CP per kill so I've gone from "I don't really care" to "welp guess I'll kill em all"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but I can't find a setting I like for that :v: there needs to be a 'fighting unique enemy' condition or something.

I did forget that buffs cost CP which explains why I suddenly starting using it up so quick lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kisara's burst is weirdly finicky. In the charger boss there was multiple times I'd use it and it would just flat out whiff and for a burst thats mostly good on reaction that kinds of dire

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Barudak posted:

Kisara's burst is weirdly finicky. In the charger boss there was multiple times I'd use it and it would just flat out whiff and for a burst thats mostly good on reaction that kinds of dire

You normally have to wait until they actually start charging. I can land it 90% of the time now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just got the kid from Demon Slayer on my team and killed the associated lord. Game is pretty good so far. I like how they sidestep the whole "jrpg protagonists massacring wildlife thing" by saying "actually they're not animals they're zoogles".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Moon Monster posted:

I like how they sidestep the whole "jrpg protagonists massacring wildlife thing" by saying "actually they're not animals they're zoogles".

Which are outright said to be bio engineered and not natural.

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

Overall the game's been solid so far. Fun combat and a well done setup. The plot and characters aren't spectacular but they're good. It's a bit disappointing compared to Beseria but still on the upper end of JRPG stories,

Just at the midpoint of the fourth area and it feels like a writing fumble when Law berates Rinwell for trying to take attack Almedria? The phrasing makes it sound like she's going to attack a defenseless woman (what Almedria was posing as before) rather than a woman who's just finished massacring a bunch of people and is gearing up to kill the party as well.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Do characters get multiple Mystic Artes a la Team Destiny or is it just the single one a la Team Symphonia? I'm assuming the latter because of Burst Strikes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

You normally have to wait until they actually start charging. I can land it 90% of the time now.

The issue I was having was casting it while moving and they were charging and you can't cast it too late. She jumps out in front of you (you can get hit and have her stop the attack which feels... bad) so if you delay too long + doge roll the enemies tracking and hitbox can wiggle past her wall.

I just gave up trying to get lots of damage off on the boss in question and just did it safely from a further distance and it worked every time.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which are outright said to be bio engineered and not natural.

And occasionally left to go feral and the Renan's don't really care because they won't attack a Renan. Its probably my favorite justification for monsters everywhere in an RPG

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 12, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Edit: theres owls here too, huh?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Barudak posted:

For people sick of this line. Try changing your display character. At the very least Rinwell has a different line about finding owls. I assume everyone has a unique one.

E: Edit is not quote.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Aquasnake posted:

For people sick of this line. Try changing your display character. At the very least Rinwell has a different line about finding owls. I assume everyone has a unique one.

E: Edit is not quote.

nah you just get a different one once you grab rinwell (and assumedly it changes again later with more)

the first nine~ are just alphen and shionne being rather surprised about owls

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I just finished the fifth Lord and I was wondering when this poo poo was about to go off the rails. Don’t like the second OP as much but I’m excited to find out what’s with Red Serial Experiment Lain. Apparent she was in other areas? But I never noticed her.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What a strange bird…

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Berseria's battle system really soured my feelings to be lower on it than others here, I absolutely hated how extremely favored it was to type weakness and punished non-weakness. Not to mention the spirit orb system. It would be one of my most favorite games otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HellOnEarth posted:

I just finished the fifth Lord and I was wondering when this poo poo was about to go off the rails. Don’t like the second OP as much but I’m excited to find out what’s with Red Serial Experiment Lain. Apparent she was in other areas? But I never noticed her.

Her being everywhere all the time in the background and never discussed was driving me crazy

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 12, 2021

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Her being everywhere all the time in the background and never discussed was driving me crazy

you've got a broken spoiler tag there

(post 5th area) I assumed she was a generic NPC secretary and they'd just reused the model. well done game for playing on my gamer instincts. I wonder if the writers were thinking of Nier: Automata which does a similar thing with a red girl in the background who turns out to be a big deal.

e: turns out broken tags persist outside quote boxes, fixed

Gato fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 12, 2021

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Just got to town 2. this stuff with zephyr and Law is so stupid… why did we abandon him? It was literally 4 soldiers. We’ve already killed like a hundred of them

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Tae posted:

Berseria's battle system really soured my feelings to be lower on it than others here, I absolutely hated how extremely favored it was to type weakness and punished non-weakness. Not to mention the spirit orb system. It would be one of my most favorite games otherwise.

i finished berseria never actually learning how to be good at the combat because it was so much easier to transform with velvet and mash buttons to murder everything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s basically how it goes even on hard. I never understood what exactly Berseria wanted me to do and it never mattered

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

is the fishing minigame how youre supposed to make money cause i kinda hate it

edit: i finally figured it out. it never fails whenever you complain about something you end up succeeding lol

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 12, 2021

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Berseria being so simple in practice felt like an apology for the disaster that was Zesty's system, where you basically never got stronger unless you engaged with the grinding slogfest that was the equipment system. I liked Berseria's combat for what it was, but I don't really want to see that approach again.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Why does Reigning Slash do like 3x as much damage as everything else

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ASenileAnimal posted:

is the fishing minigame how youre supposed to make money cause i kinda hate it

edit: i finally figured it out. it never fails whenever you complain about something you end up succeeding lol

I make most of my money chaining mobs that drop valuable materials

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Story wants me to get medicine from a guard house (right after Lord 1) and uh, there's nothing in here, no progress marker and I've killed everything in the area numerous times over. I feel very stupid right now

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Story wants me to get medicine from a guard house (right after Lord 1) and uh, there's nothing in here, no progress marker and I've killed everything in the area numerous times over. I feel very stupid right now

There's a bag right in front of a book case in the guard house on the map.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Barudak posted:

I hate camping out.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm curious how many of you have played a Tales game that isn't Berseria.

Just saying. The story isn't as good as Berseria but compared to most other Tales games, Arise is honestly on the higher end of good Tales stories and it's jarring seeing complaints about the story being bad in this thread when it's been praised everywhere else is just baffling to me.

Are you all just like, two hours into the game or something?

The only other one I've played was Dawn of the New World and was getting into the original before my Wii shat the bed; I genuinely liked the story in Dawn once Emil gets some character development, and so far I'm really into the plot of this game with two hours logged. I don't really mind things being "cliched" but I guess I don't see "cliche" as an automatic negative.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's the bigger guard house on the side.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
if they're going to make every boss a massive hp sponge and resource battle the least they could've done is made it so your stupid ai party members don't run into melee range of the enemy with the big melee aoes when they're casters

the more i play this game the more frustrated i get because it feels like they did zero playtesting.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I made it all the way to the soylent green lake before realizing the herbs you pick up weren't temporary stats boosts but permanent because I have been keeping them for tough fights.

fml

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Please I've been hoarding them because I'm indecisive

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

a few early tales games let you use some potion on the stat raising herbs to turn them into red versions that give a bigger boost, and to this day every time i play a new tales game i end up waiting to make sure i can't upgrade the herbs before i start using them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I never use them because I know I wouldn't notice the difference anyway. I'll probably use them all on Kisara once she joins my party.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Phantasium posted:

a few early tales games let you use some potion on the stat raising herbs to turn them into red versions that give a bigger boost, and to this day every time i play a new tales game i end up waiting to make sure i can't upgrade the herbs before i start using them.

the early ones raised by % too so if you hoarded them you could get your hp up to max by the end of the game

also every boss fight in arise seems to have the same pattern when they spawn annoying adds halfway through and when theyre down to like 25% they just go absolutely nuts and you spend alot of time in the menu tossing out all your healing items. i try to get them to chase my character at this point because your ai teammates just get shredded constantly.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I tend to use the herbs early, cause they're much more noticeable at the start of the game. Just shoved every one I found into Alphen and Shionne.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's me, I'm the guy encouraging bad game dev practices: I dropped $1.99 on a 100k gald pack. Area 3 spoilers: ran into the dragon outside Viscint and wasted all my remaining items trying to beat it, only to have to retreat and figure eh they must expect me to kill it later. Then I immediately bumped into a guy in town asking me to kill it for him, so I figured gently caress it I'll spend $2 to fully restock items with gald to spare and get my revenge. Actually managed to beat the dragon at level 19, albeit burning all my new life bottles because the AI party members just love to stand right in the way of the sweeping fire breath and get one shot. :argh:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sydin posted:

It's me, I'm the guy encouraging bad game dev practices: I dropped $1.99 on a 100k gald pack. Area 3 spoilers: ran into the dragon outside Viscint and wasted all my remaining items trying to beat it, only to have to retreat and figure eh they must expect me to kill it later. Then I immediately bumped into a guy in town asking me to kill it for him, so I figured gently caress it I'll spend $2 to fully restock items with gald to spare and get my revenge. Actually managed to beat the dragon at level 19, albeit burning all my new life bottles because the AI party members just love to stand right in the way of the sweeping fire breath and get one shot. :argh:

Is this on hard? I just used Rinwell and spammed her water combo spell until death.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why does Reigning Slash do like 3x as much damage as everything else

Because it roots Alphen in place and takes forever to actually come out AND you can't really follow it up with anything so it's bad as anything other than a combo ender that does ridiculous amounts of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I'm gonna be real bummed when Balseph dies if only because I won't get to hear his name anymore.