Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

LifeSunDeath posted:

LOL this is amazing

It's the fake beard thatmakes this weird for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BrigadierSensible posted:

Its his tactical face warmer.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Robobot posted:

There were people selling those little cheap plastic American flags on the corner for like $5 each the day after in some cities.

Someone from the USA might be able to correct me here, but y'all seem like a country that has truckloads of American flags stowed away just out of sight even on the best of days.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yeah that's very accurate

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Digging up my backyard to set up Factorio-type machines to just crank out Flags 24/7

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
We get them from China, mostly.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Grendels Dad posted:

Someone from the USA might be able to correct me here, but y'all seem like a country that has truckloads of American flags stowed away just out of sight even on the best of days.
Yeah you're not wrong 😞

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

That has to be an edit.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

incredibly wholesome :)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Grendels Dad posted:

In NYC at least you wouldn’t see a lot of American flags pre-9/11. After the attack there were flags everywhere immediately like everyone had a secret flag stash or something.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Snowy posted:

In NYC at least you wouldn’t see a lot of American flags pre-9/11. After the attack there were flags everywhere immediately like everyone had a secret flag stash or something.

It was all the unsold fourth of July and memorial day stock.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The flag represents justice, equality, and a drive for the common good. Also, we are allowed to display it instead of actually doing those things.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I saw Dropkick Murphys in early October 2001 and there were dozens of American flags covering every inch of that stage.

Also a lot of neo-nazis and skinheads because they used to attract that crowd.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Baron von Eevl posted:

I saw Dropkick Murphys in early October 2001 and there were dozens of American flags covering every inch of that stage.

Also a lot of neo-nazis and skinheads because they used to attract that crowd.
I mean yeah they still do but they also used to

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If there's one thing nativists love it's Papists

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

"That's a challenging wank."

(:rip: Sean Lock)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"That's a challenging wank."

(:rip: Sean Lock)

:five:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Snowy posted:

That's a thing that I found so incredibly weird during my hitherto only visit to the US (I went to Chicago) - American flags everywhere. Like, yo, I know I'm in the US and presumably the people who live there know that even better.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pope Hilarius II posted:

That's a thing that I found so incredibly weird during my hitherto only visit to the US (I went to Chicago)

Decided to look this word pronunciation up after seeing it a million times in print, but never actually hearing anyone ever speak it.

Yep, definitely did not use to think it was pronounced "hit-hurto". Nope, definitely didn't. That would've been the height of foolishness.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I also have never pronounced epitome like it was epi-tome (a book of epinephrine?) And you can't prove I did!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Star wars expanded universe character: Hit Herto.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mentally swapped the i and o in grandiose, thought it was French, and so pronounced it grand-wa until I was in my mid 20s

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I definitely did not used to pronounce it as "sword"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grandoise is a pokemon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Infrared light is light that you infrare through an infraring prism

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I definitely did not until the age of 22 believe that the verb "to misle" existed in the English language and had instead been misreading "misled" the entire time.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
As a beginner reader I read "c'mon" with a soft c and a shwa, and asked my mom what "semen" meant

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It took me until my twenties to figure out "subtle" and "segue" and that the words I thought were "suttle" and "segway" were actually the same as these other words I knew from reading.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bonified, adjective: authenticated, genuine

When you bonify something, it becomes bonified

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

When I was a little kid I read peanuts and didn't know what the gently caress *sigh* meant

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I was in my mid-30s when I realized the term for inward facing knees/feet does not refer to pigeons and toads.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

During this week's AEW, JR was commentating and said his praise of a wrestler was not "hyper bowl."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I was a kid in :tito: when MC Hammer became huge. I thought his name must have been pronounced "McHammer."

You know, like Connor MacHammer of the clan MacHammer.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Trabant posted:

I was a kid in :tito: when MC Hammer became huge. I thought his name must have been pronounced "McHammer."

You know, like Connor MacHammer of the clan MacHammer.

You're not alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG9Wt2tXHAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOrAB-feefg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

During this week's AEW, JR was commentating and said his praise of a wrestler was not "hyper bowl."

lmao

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My grade school has placards above the utility closet doors with "No. 1, 2 etc." and I couldn't figure out what it meant.

Like no, only one person can be in here, or something.

I asked my teacher and she explained and I got made fun of by other kids for the rest of the year.

THERE IS NO O IN NUMBER gently caress YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Inzombiac posted:

My grade school has placards above the utility closet doors with "No. 1, 2 etc." and I couldn't figure out what it meant.

Like no, only one person can be in here, or something.

I asked my teacher and she explained and I got made fun of by other kids for the rest of the year.

THERE IS NO O IN NUMBER gently caress YOU

There are a lot of holdovers in "proper" English grammar from a time when 18th century rear end in a top hat prescriptivists tried to enforce rules borrowed from Latin on a non-Romance language.

Like, the whole thing about split infinitives - "to boldly go" vs "to go boldly" - is because it's actually impossible to do that in Latin because Latin infinitives are one word. The "rule" against ending a sentence with a preposition is the same way.

In case you're still wondering, the Latin word for "number" is "numero" which got abbreviated as "No." by scribes, and that got carried over to English as well. There's actually a complete sign for it, "No" that most folks don't bother with nowadays, and "#" is more common in the US anyway.