Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would hope that one of the people who turned Speed Racer into a critique on capitalism undermining art and joy wouldn't turn their trans opus into lib brained poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zimbomonkey posted:

I am ready for another Matrix movie. Also I think Jonathan Groff plays the dude that Cypher became as payment for backstabbing everyone in the original.

If 99 isn't retconned, Cypher died in the real world in the first one and the machines probably would have never found him.

SolarFire2 posted:

So is NPH The Architect, or just a garden variety, agent-level sentient program?

Unless The Architect has changed its demeanor, I doubt it's that. Probably an agent thing.

Matrix Revolutions lets Neo use the Fallout 4 character editor.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

also I don’t think we were ever supposed to get the impression they actually intended to hold up their end of the deal with cypher. they don’t have any reason to and after the one agent tells Smith that he’s dead and asks what they do next Smith is like “we proceed as planned” and tells him to deploy sentinels. I always took that to mean cypher was never getting off that ship anyway, the sentinels would’ve killed him with everybody else

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

SUNKOS posted:

Neo's a hedonist and takes both pills! :v:

I legit would like to see what would happen if someone did this in the movie.

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

Shiroc posted:

I would hope that one of the people who turned Speed Racer into a critique on capitalism undermining art and joy wouldn't turn their trans opus into lib brained poo poo.

all trailers are films in and of themselves. as such, the evidence possibly confirming your fear is dire

Qualia fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 11, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Qualia posted:

all trailers are films in and of themselves. as such, the evidence possibly confirming your fear is dire

Did I miss a part where Neo says we just need to vote and that anything other than respectful, peaceful marching means the bad guy wins?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
While this trailer didn't excite me, part of the reason for the complaints about the different look is I think due to there being bright sunshine in the matrix, which wasn't really a feature of the original films, where it was either night or a cloudy day.

Also as an Australian, the city was distinctly Sydney and this new one (San Fran?) distinctly isn't and people might be picking up on that as well.

However I think this is to show the matrix has changed in the years (decades? centuries?) since and reflects the pretty sunrise the little program girl made at the end of Revolutions.

The matrix has evolved is what I'm saying. Interesting strategy cotton, let's see how it plays out.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I am currently watching the first Matrix and considering the oppression of trans + literally all systems of human control narrative it owns 100x more. Also, the fighting. It’s so good

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

garycoleisgod posted:

While this trailer didn't excite me, part of the reason for the complaints about the different look is I think due to there being bright sunshine in the matrix, which wasn't really a feature of the original films, where it was either night or a cloudy day.

Well, after Neo defeated Smith, I assumed that when Sati made the sunrise in full, bright color, that the whole Matrix would be like that from then on.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think the idea of a new, bright, shiny brand of oppression and control presents some interesting narrative and thematic possibilities!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok rethinking my hot take on 'it looks like TV/not the same' it does make sense it doesn't look the same given the ending of the revolutions and/or possibly this is a new-new matrix iteration.

Plus the sets were throwing me off because they were all modern buildings, clean, normal looking, well lit. The original loved to use run down buildings, poorly lit, dirty, etc. Again, yes this makes sense since this isn't supposed to be the 'same' matrix and the matrix is capable of massive change very quickly.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the shots with neo being alienated and surrounded by people staring into their smart phones, the idea of a modern interpretation of an oppressive world of control that’s a facade of sunny Silicon Valley technocratic utopia, where everybody goes to Therapy, takes their blue pills, holds each other Accountable to make sure they’re thinking the right thoughts and having the right opinions. A recorded history of Revolution and material change earned with blood not suppressed, but adapted and commodified into entertainment and sold to the liberal masses, soothing dissent and reinforcing an idea of society having entered an End of History. Shiny clean surfaces papering over the festering darkness and system of control beneath feels like a very appropriate way to go with a 2021 matrix.

in 99-03 it was all boring grey office drudgery, muted colors, the aesthetic of the cubicle drones working the unfulfilling career. that’s not really relevant anymore. if the “better” Matrix Sati started building with good intentions in our 2003 has evolved over time, it would certainly look like the one in the trailer/real life 2021

all massive conjecture of course, just vibing off the trailer imagery

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Given Matrix 3’s cop-out “believe whatever you want!” ending, I have a sneaking feeling that this Matrix 4 will just be a very basic ‘culture war’ satire.

One where a well-meaning but impotent blue team will face off against a furious-but-deranged red team.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
If the leaked plot that I saw was real then this movie will probably be disappointing, I hope it's not real

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mandrel posted:

the shots with neo being alienated and surrounded by people staring into their smart phones, the idea of a modern interpretation of an oppressive world of control that’s a facade of sunny Silicon Valley technocratic utopia, where everybody goes to Therapy, takes their blue pills, holds each other Accountable to make sure they’re thinking the right thoughts and having the right opinions.

Huh. That's a strange specific read from that trailer. I wonder why.

Mandrel posted:

it’s not even remotely feasible for her to have that physique in an apocalypse scenario. you don’t get that physique without a carefully regulated diet and full time weight training routine with gear usage on top of it.

her being a lebron James-esque genetic freak trans woman is actually kind of the only explanation that makes any kind of sense

Mandrel posted:

Genke doesn’t emote at all but that might just be because he’s asian.

Mandrel posted:

they should go all the way with it. the main character just invariably ending up chained to a bed to be ambiguously raped forever. gettin raped by charlie. gettin raped by zombos. gettin raped by aliens. it’s like quantum leap but with a lot more rape

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 12, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wow Zesty, cancel culture truly has gone too far

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Did I miss a part where Neo says we just need to vote and that anything other than respectful, peaceful marching means the bad guy wins?

"you don't know me [...]"

the second the narration started the lib discourse began*

it's a very bad trailer, for a movie that could be very good, but won't be. i honestly feel bad for lana; but what a digress

*anti-capitalism is very hard to do. you can, of course, only trust your fists; imagine, however, if there was no spoon fist

Mandrel posted:

[...] freak trans woman [...]

addendum: can we not? cross thread posts are un-kind; i agree and do apologize, but if i happen to click a sentence that leads me to that sentence, where are we at, really ?

Qualia fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 12, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Field Mousepad posted:

I legit would like to see what would happen if someone did this in the movie.

We find out the entire Matrix runs on Vista and the ensuing lockup kills every single human that's jacked in and brings an end to the machine world as their power source immediately ceases to be.

We are treated to some utterly wild visuals as this happens, though :shroom::2bong::shroom:

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

so: nihilism?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Given Matrix 3’s cop-out “believe whatever you want!” ending, I have a sneaking feeling that this Matrix 4 will just be a very basic ‘culture war’ satire.

But the continuation of the story must involve an acknowledgement that the weak "believe whatever you want" truce was a failure (one that everyone involved should have foreseen).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Should I make this a general Matrix thread?

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

:justpost:

Lord Krangdar posted:

But the continuation of the story must involve an acknowledgement that the weak "believe whatever you want" truce was a failure (one that everyone involved should have foreseen).

the ending sucks; but pay attention. the real movie is the cat waking up the girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTnBVDKuNdI&t=92s

Qualia fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 12, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I guess one of the low key depressing things about the Matrix world is that almost all animal life is extinct and only known about through what a machine imagines they'd be like.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Don’t post on this thread if you’re transphobic imo

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gresh posted:

Its pretty amazing where we are today compared to 20 years ago. The first movie came out during the end of the hyper corporate computer/.com boom era where things were more or less stable... people had money and 401ks even if they didn't like their jobs.

Now, everyone is broke as poo poo living in a late stage neoliberal Zion-like hellscape largely controlled by space traveling oligarchs and such while willingly posting on the Matrix.

That’s the joke

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drat the thread title dropped a huge spoiler!!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

For real though is he canonically dead?

e: Wait, that guy in the trailer was actually supposed to be Morpheus? :psyduck:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

stev posted:

For real though is he canonically dead?

e: Wait, that guy in the trailer was actually supposed to be Morpheus? :psyduck:

Yeah, it’s some sort of yet to be explained bootleg Morpheus.

Who appears to be an agent in several scenes?

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
It’s RuneScape classic so things look different

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

We find out the entire Matrix runs on Vista and the ensuing lockup kills every single human that's jacked in and brings an end to the machine world as their power source immediately ceases to be.

We are treated to some utterly wild visuals as this happens, though :shroom::2bong::shroom:

I am old enough to remember when Gamespy was not only still active as a multiplayer game client but also a gaming news site. They have a daily comedic fiction article called Daily Victim where fictitious gamers tell funny and weird stories about themselves. They started as standalone stories, but eventually they start to have recurring characters and crossovers that happen surrounding an event. One of them was a wedding in Everquest that got interrupted by a horde of players hired by the Korean mafia trying to kill a character controlled by a mysterious hacker and power gamer known as The Linux Wizard. They succeeded and The Linux Wizard lost all his powerful items. Then, many stories later, we found out through the story of another Everquest player that he is trying to force Sony Online to restore the entire server to an old backup when he still had all his items. He attempts this by tricking over 200 players in that server to each summon a dragon at the same time in the same location. The result was basically madness. A dragon spawned inside the item list of a store, a player tried to buy it, and caused an entire town to teleport underwater and kill everyone. Finally a huge void opens beneath the game world that swallows everyone, where they ended up in the spawn table file and transformed into butterflies before the entire thing crashed completely. It was one of my favorite arcs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The real question is: what manifestation is the architect now?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shaocaholica posted:

The real question is: what manifestation is the architect now?

Jason Alexander

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Necrothatcher posted:

I guess one of the low key depressing things about the Matrix world is that almost all animal life is extinct and only known about through what a machine imagines they'd be like.

Cats are annoying. The Machines nailed that poo poo.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

metachronos posted:

I posted on my FB about how hype I was from the new trailer and one of my "acquaintances" already went off on a screed about how Jessica Henwicks character is a "purple haired gender-fluid mary sue" and then made comparisons to Rey so yeah, they are out there.

I was just wondering what their "It's about gaming journalism" equivalent is for this movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here's an excellent breakdown of the trailer - full of things I missed and good speculation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSwqTxdOGsQ

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I was just wondering what their "It's about gaming journalism" equivalent is for this movie.

it’s always the short blue hair on a girl. seeing a short blue haired girl is like staring into the ark of the covenant for those people

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The movie is about this thread and its inability to escape the culture war.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Freakazoid_ posted:

The movie is about this thread and its inability to escape the culture war.
The Matrix 4 is about how the Matrix 3's message of peaceful co-existence was a lie and how there can be nothing but annihilation of our enemies

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t care how good or bad the movie as long as a character makes reference to the matrix online and tells neo that Morpheus died in a back alley shooting in 2005

I want the Wackowskis and WB to flex on the Lucasfilm Story Group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinNYC82
Jan 26, 2004

I watched the trailer for the latest Matix and I have a theory, let me know what you guys/ gals think.

I posted my theory about this movie on the twitter and youtube threads but I'm gonna post it here too.

I think they're going to make it so everything that happened after Neo surrenders to the agents in the 1st movie wasn't real. He never actually met Morpheus or escaped the Matrix. The Matrix / machines just allowed / needed him to believe it. The brief clip of Morpheus at 2:01 looks just like the way Neo held / fired his guns when Neo / Trinity stormed the agents building to rescue Morpheus. I believe the Matrix / agents have been holding Neo all this time in order to keep him in control and from destroying the system and the events in the 2nd and 3rd movies were to get Neo to stop fighting against them. Letting Neo believe a truce between the Humans and machines has been met is the ultimate way to control / neutralize him. The rescue scene mentioned above will play out again except this time it will be Morpheus rescuing Neo. I also believe that therapist being played by NPH is totally the "Architect" maintaining control over Neo with the blue pills. The machines were getting desperate and afraid that Neo was becoming too strong as the agents were no longer working to keep him in check.

I think my theory of Neo not leaving the Matrix also holds up because it would be an easy way for them to explaining why Morpheus is different (the first one wasn't real and sent by the machines) and why theres a new Oracle (yes I know the reason the replaced the original lady in the 2nd one) (I think she's going to be the lady with the Alice in Wonderland book) and why Neo still has his powers "outside the Matrix"

I might be totally off the mark with my theory but I think it makes a bit of sense. Anyone agree?? Sorry if anything seems disjointed or if my thoughts aren't exactly in order, I'm not the most eloquent person.