Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's maybe not healthy but sometimes I accidentally think about how effortless it would be for Bezos to fix the drinking water in Flint and I have to go lie down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

The documentary CleanFlix is about a company that edited movies to remove nudity and swears and was based in Utah and was popular enough because of the Mormons that a bunch of rental stores opened across the state. The quick interviews with the clientele are super funny like a dude who looks like a stereotypical frat guy talking about how he can watch all the gangster movies he wants now. Pretty much all of them come off like children whose parents won't let them see R-rated movies and they won't break the rules. It's real good.

the documentary is some classic oafish small business owner poo poo too, with random feuds between nobodies being portrayed as life and death struggles, mixed in with people eagerly explaining how they love 'R-rated movies' as like...a genre but just hate everything that makes a movie R rated.

Also when they interview people at BYU a whole lot of 18 year olds going 'I'm very normal and I've never seen an R rated movie because I believe if I watch Schindler's List I may start murdering people'.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

My take on Mormonism is: I have liked every single Mormon I have ever met in my life.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

the documentary is some classic oafish small business owner poo poo too, with random feuds between nobodies being portrayed as life and death struggles, mixed in with people eagerly explaining how they love 'R-rated movies' as like...a genre but just hate everything that makes a movie R rated.

Also when they interview people at BYU a whole lot of 18 year olds going 'I'm very normal and I've never seen an R rated movie because I believe if I watch Schindler's List I may start murdering people'.

I love that the reason the original CleanFlicks editing company went out of business is because a franchisee said God told him to sue Hollywood studios and a bunch of directors and then he dropped out of the lawsuit.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bust Rodd posted:

It's maybe not healthy but sometimes I accidentally think about how effortless it would be for Bezos to fix the drinking water in Flint and I have to go lie down.

quote:

Fixing Flint's contaminated water system could cost $216m, report says.

quote:

Taking into account his rising net worth over the past few years, Bezos makes about $8.99 billion per month, $2.25 billion per week, or $321 million per day, according to Vizaca.com.

He has to do space stuff though. I'm sure you understand.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Groovelord Neato posted:

I love that the reason the original CleanFlicks editing company went out of business is because a franchisee said God told him to sue Hollywood studios and a bunch of directors and then he dropped out of the lawsuit.

Wasnt the guy also a literal pedophile

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Wasnt the guy also a literal pedophile

Different guy - the pedo reopens his franchise after CleanFlicks is put out of business and had to be the center of attention so does radio, print, and TV interviews (and becomes the central figure of the documentary) which ends up getting the company that was doing editing and supplying him and others on the down low shut down because of the renewed attention.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 12, 2021

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bust Rodd posted:

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

lobster shirt posted:

My take on Mormonism is: I have liked every single Mormon I have ever met in my life.

You can't help but hear Matt's admiration when he talks about them too, talking about developing family bonds in the community.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Matt definitely wants to take multiple wives. It’s why he got divorced. Oh also because of Amber, of course.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mae posted:

You can't help but hear Matt's admiration when he talks about them too, talking about developing family bonds in the community.

He's been pretty open about his disdain for what capitalism has done to social bonds, it's not surprising he respects attempts to strengthen them in spite of it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really enjoyed the Mormon episode. Matt clarifies and fleshes out some things he talked about more obliquely in various episodes and guest appearances, about how Protestantism developed hand-in-hand with capitalism and why.

My best friend's Mormon. He converted, so by that point he was already addicted to gory horror movies and wasn't gonna stop. So it's a very different life experience, but I've met some other Mormons. They're very nice and there's some weird stuff going on there.

So seeing how Smith saw Family as the institution that can overcome the problems of the market, it's easy to see how Mormonism thrived in America. Capitalism's bargain with the white working man is that you won't have any power, but you'll be the lord of your household. The irony is that this ended up driving Mormons back around to the same frantic striving as the Puritans: when you're encouraged to marry young and have a lot of kids, the pressure to provide for them is enormous. This leads the most successful members of the church to get professional degrees and high-paying jobs, but that means a hectic work schedule. If you're wondering how a person can hold on to the mindset of a sheltered home-schooled kid for 40 years without combusting, it's because you don't have any time to think.

I think what basically weirds people out about them is the whole

sexpig by night posted:

I'm very normal and I've never seen an R rated movie
thing. Like, the way they wear dress shirts and ties when they go door-knocking exemplifies the problem. They don't get why that alienates more people than it puts at ease. Compulsively acting Normal to a degree that's not normal.

porfiria posted:

It really is the Ultimate American Religion, and I think it really has a shot at the big time after the 2050 Electro Collapse reduces the USA to a bunch of warring states, but I wonder if its silly origin story, weird rituals, and proscribed behaviors won't keep it niche.
The thing is, Mormonism has this doctrine called Continuous Revelation, whereby God gives us new wisdom "when we're ready," or whatever. This is simultaneously the LDS Church's attempt to replace Catholicism as the True Church, a weasely way to disown bigoted stances it's taken in the past, and a way for the Church to evolve to suit the times. Teetotalism wasn't a big deal in the early LDS church; they latched onto it during Prohibition as a recruiting tactic.

So I think the biggest obstacle is simply that they're Republicans and most of the US is not Republican. I can't explain why, but I don't see the 2050 Geohell instantly turning communities into micro-Gileads. The inherent sexism and homophobia is a huge dealbreaker.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I have to admit, Matt made me feel sympathetic towards the burned-over district people, which was not the case beforehand.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

prefect posted:

I have to admit, Matt made me feel sympathetic towards the burned-over district people, which was not the case beforehand.

You had a preexistent animosity towards people in the burned over district? A week ago you would've said that, in your opinion, early 1800s rural New Yorkers could go gently caress themselves?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gripweed posted:

You had a preexistent animosity towards people in the burned over district? A week ago you would've said that, in your opinion, early 1800s rural New Yorkers could go gently caress themselves?

My previous opinion had been something like "coo-coo bananas lunatics". They still did plenty of stupid poo poo, but Matt made it so that I kinda understood why they would do that.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Matt is a good history teacher

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Like, the way they wear dress shirts and ties when they go door-knocking exemplifies the problem. They don't get why that alienates more people than it puts at ease. Compulsively acting Normal to a degree that's not normal.

Going on mission is a hazing ritual, alienating people is the point. You leave your community and spend a few months annoying people and facing nothing but rejection and hostility. Then you go back to a place where you're loved and accepted, with the idea of the outside world forever associated with negativity and failure.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
spend some time talking to ex-Mormons.

"issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the Mormon religion. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them""

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

Going on mission is a hazing ritual, alienating people is the point. You leave your community and spend a few months annoying people and facing nothing but rejection and hostility. Then you go back to a place where you're loved and accepted, with the idea of the outside world forever associated with negativity and failure.

The "Oh No Ross & Carrie" podcast, in which the hosts join cults and then report on what they're like from the inside, did a series on joining Mormonism through one of these missionaries. Their fake conversion was the only conversion the poor bastard had in his 2 years, and the other missionaries threw him a party when it happened.

That gave me a good idea of how well those poor bastards do biking around strange cities.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I worked at a startup ran by mormons.

It was mostly normal until COVID - and it got worse after they got money, I left pretty soon after that happened. Like a month after I left I heard they were handing out crystals for 'life balance' as an award.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 13, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I watched Richard Dutcher's God's Army and States of Grace, which are about Mormon missionaries struggling with their faith. A lot of Mormons absolutely hated Dutcher for making the Church look bad. In their minds, people would be more likely to join if they maintained the Shiny Happy People thing 24/7.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I really enjoyed Krakauer's under the banner of heaven and it goes over a lot of the stuff in detail that Matt talks about.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My Mormon relatives have gone from uncool to intolerable since covid. They all went full Q pretty much

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I lived above a couple of LDS missionaries. They were pretty coo and never gave me poo poo for all the noise and stuff.

It was funny though. I worked as Geek Squad and biked to work, so there was some overlap, appearance-wise.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's funny to me that Mormons are supposed to follow the direction of the church leadership but it turns out they'd rather take orders from anon facebook groups.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
The only mormon i know is an agender anarcho-communist.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Not Mormonism related but I live near a Jehovah’s Witness church and a few months after I moved in they showed up at my front door to recruit.

I had just woken up and was probably hungover and wearing sweatpants, and the two well dressed missionaries introduced themselves and then asked if I knew what God’s name was.

“Hmmm, let’s go with Yahweh, that’s a good name for him.”
“That is a name for God, where did you learn that?”
“I went to Catholic school.”
“Oh me too. Do you want this pamphlet of information on our church?”
“Oh sure I’ll take it.”
“Wait, are you actually interested?”
“I’m just a curious person.”
“Alright we will leave you alone, have a nice day.”

I got rejected by the Jehovah’s. Never even got the pamphlet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I got tricked into chatting with some Jehovah's Witnesses because there was an estate auction a few doors down, so I thought these men in suits were just looking for that. When they started in on the religious stuff I just told them that I drink blood for sex reasons and they left me alone.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

space uncle posted:

Not Mormonism related but I live near a Jehovah’s Witness church and a few months after I moved in they showed up at my front door to recruit.

I had just woken up and was probably hungover and wearing sweatpants, and the two well dressed missionaries introduced themselves and then asked if I knew what God’s name was.

“Hmmm, let’s go with Yahweh, that’s a good name for him.”
“That is a name for God, where did you learn that?”
“I went to Catholic school.”
“Oh me too. Do you want this pamphlet of information on our church?”
“Oh sure I’ll take it.”
“Wait, are you actually interested?”
“I’m just a curious person.”
“Alright we will leave you alone, have a nice day.”

I got rejected by the Jehovah’s. Never even got the pamphlet.

Jehovah's Witnesses are required to go door-to-door at least once a year, so you might have just gotten people who were just checking that box who didn't really give a poo poo.

Prince used to do his yearly knocking during Vikings games so he would be sure the person at the door would be extra eager to get the interaction over with and wouldn't notice they were talking to Prince.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
this is why i always answer the door wearing a party hat and with a piece of cake on a small paper plate

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PostNouveau posted:

Prince used to do his yearly knocking during Vikings games so he would be sure the person at the door would be extra eager to get the interaction over with and wouldn't notice they were talking to Prince.

Michael Jackson was also a Jehovah's Witness until 1987. I guess that's just what you believe in if you're a musical genius. :shrug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Phone posted:

this is why i always answer the door wearing a party hat and with a piece of cake on a small paper plate

just a small [blood transfusions performed here] sign

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Knocking on people’s doors and inviting them to come worship your invisible sky-man who gets mad if you swear or eat too much sugar or whatever is absolutely certifiably insane and we will never make any progress in this country as long as we continue to tolerate religious fundamentalism and allow it a seat at the table, because fundamentalist religion is, at its core, fully rooted in misogyny and the enslavement of women by men.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah but they have money

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The boys are right that Giuliani destroying his (completely unearned) legacy is the best Trump thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bust Rodd posted:

Knocking on people’s doors and inviting them to come worship your invisible sky-man who gets mad if you swear or eat too much sugar or whatever is absolutely certifiably insane and we will never make any progress in this country as long as we continue to tolerate religious fundamentalism and allow it a seat at the table, because fundamentalist religion is, at its core, fully rooted in misogyny and the enslavement of women by men.

That's what evangelical religions are all about : evangelizing. Ain't no progress coming here.

Y'know, I had a whole bunch of Mencken books back in journalism school. I wonder if they're still at my parents' house. They were good reading.

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 14, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The only person I’ve known who actually converted to Mormonism did it as a formality to getting married, and seemed to change nothing otherwise.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Sandy Petersen, designer of the TTRPG Call of Cthulhu and level designer for Doom, Doom 2, and Quake, is a Mormon. He’s said the violent hell-based imagery of Doom never bothered him, but he had to politely ask Romero to not use a picture of Jesus as a floor switch in Quake. He’s also one of those guys who’s very concerned with trans athletes competing unfairly against cis athletes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah was very disappointing to find out he's another transphobic psycho.