Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
how often have you replied to a question about clearance with "depends on if you have a Dremel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just use ATX since I like the space to work in when I build it, and I don't move my PC or need to save room or whatever it is people use smaller cases for. I have never had a use case for it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Lots of really weird and irrational mITX hate in here all of a sudden. SFF PCs are cute and good.

"sir that's not pizza grease, it's thermal paste"

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

On the topic of thermal paste, just how lovely is the stuff a company like MSI would use? Or, rather, how much better is brand-name thermal paste than a generic? I am frankly really surprised at how much better my GPU core thermals are after recently repasting with MX-4, and it's not even like the stock application was bad; it was evenly coated, there was enough, it was not dry or crusty, and honestly seemed Fine. Definitely seen worse.

Is the difference really all in the quality of paste used?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

This owns.

Also as someone who built an ITX PC this year after a 20 year gap (my last build had a PIII and Voodoo3)... NVMe storage, onboard sound/network, and no need for physical media anymore really changed the game and I don't know why you wouldn't go for, if not ITX, at least mATX. I remember thinking ATX was hot poo poo compared to the Baby AT builds I did before that, but it's wild how much nicer/smaller my NR200 is compared to whatever old Antec tower I had in '01.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scythe posted:

This owns.

Also as someone who built an ITX PC this year after a 20 year gap (my last build had a PIII and Voodoo3)... NVMe storage, onboard sound/network, and no need for physical media anymore really changed the game and I don't know why you wouldn't go for, if not ITX, at least mATX. I remember thinking ATX was hot poo poo compared to the Baby AT builds I did before that, but it's wild how much nicer/smaller my NR200 is compared to whatever old Antec tower I had in '01.

That's entirely subjective - I'd say why go with something tiny if you don't have to? I'm able to run a fuckoff huge GPU and CPU air cooler and have space to spare, and my machine is whisper-quiet with 3 big case fans unless I'm playing something demanding.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali564/p/N82E16883360194?Item=N82E16883360194&Source=socialshare&cm_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-83-360-194-_-09112021

Complete prebuilt with 16gb of ram and a 3060 for $1200 lol.

Not too much more than just a 3060 straight up if anyone is desperate and just wants to get a totally new computer.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's entirely subjective - I'd say why go with something tiny if you don't have to? I'm able to run a fuckoff huge GPU and CPU air cooler and have space to spare, and my machine is whisper-quiet with 3 big case fans unless I'm playing something demanding.

you can do all those things with the NR200

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's ITX cases that support water cooling and big GPU's. I have a 280mm AIO and a MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 in a Meshlicious (the dumbest named case on the planet). Small footprint on my desk and no issues with cooling.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

comes down to whether you want your computer on your desk or on the ground

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Sphyre posted:

you can do all those things with the NR200
The NR200 is definitely the easiest case I've ever built in (last was a MM H2GO cube case which while great for the custom loop I was running, was finicky and heavy, and prior to that was a CM Stacker which was super roomy for sure but it wasn't any 'easier' than the NR200 to set up a PC in).

The only "hiccup" is really the needing to pay the price premium for an SFX PSU, though you can get a bracket that allows for ATX PSU's at the expense of some fan clearance.

I mean I've got a 3.5" HDD, 2x2.5" SSDs, a huge 2-fan tower cooler (Fuma 2), full length 2.5-slot GPU (though this case can fit a 3.5 slot GPU), 2 bottom intakes and 2 top exhausts, and could put another intake on the vented side panel if I wanted.

Been thinking about getting the Phanteks T30-120s and just deshrouding the GPU and having the fans intake straight into the GPU heatsink.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Been thinking about getting the Phanteks T30-120s and just deshrouding the GPU and having the fans intake straight into the GPU heatsink.

Do it. You'd probably end up with a super quiet build, even during intense gaming loads.

People have a lot of misconceptions about SFF and cooling/noise levels, but you can absolutely build a well-cooled, whisper quiet SFF PC if you pick your parts intelligently.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

can't tell if this is a joke

The reason I've had it like that for a year is because I've been hunting for someone who can take my CAD models of all the components and make a vector file to cut two sheets of acrylic. The whole thing you see there is only two inches high, so I'm sandwiching it between the acrylic with some standoffs (the kind made for acrylic plaques that go on the wall in an office), then mounting the whole transparent case to my carbon fiber backpacking frame, then replacing that 12v bench power supply you see on the pic with lithium cells from a Tesla Model 3.

All so I can have a 10-pound backpack PC with a 5950x and 3080 to run my Pimax ultrawide VR headset without wires, for about 3 hours of hot-swap battery life.

If anyone knows some kinda CAD wizard I can pay them a hundred bucks, and make the design and components list free for all

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

The reason I've had it like that for a year is because I've been hunting for someone who can take my CAD models of all the components and make a vector file to cut two sheets of acrylic. The whole thing you see there is only two inches high, so I'm sandwiching it between the acrylic with some standoffs (the kind made for acrylic plaques that go on the wall in an office), then mounting the whole transparent case to my carbon fiber backpacking frame, then replacing that 12v bench power supply you see on the pic with lithium cells from a Tesla Model 3.

All so I can have a 10-pound backpack PC with a 5950x and 3080 to run my Pimax ultrawide VR headset without wires, for about 3 hours of hot-swap battery life.

If anyone knows some kinda CAD wizard I can pay them a hundred bucks, and make the design and components list free for all

This is fuckin wild.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

This is why I love my Cerberus X build - small-ish case, but can do ITX up through ATX, and also fit most cards in it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Zero VGS posted:

What the gently caress, you run that thing off a battery?

The whole thing is ludicrous in the best possible way

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speaking of small(-ish) cases, this ain't SFF but I really dig it: https://lian-li.com/product/o11-air-mini/, https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lian-li-o11-air-mini-review

It's the newest O11-based design. Power supplies always get in the way of airflow one way or another so I support banishing them to the nether realm (behind the motherboard). Bottom-mounted fans are also something most modern mid towers can't do, and it's insanely good for GPU cooling. Seems great for compact air-cooled ATX builds. The only issue is that it's a decent bit wider than most mid-towers (288mm compared to the Meshify C's 212mm).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Alan Smithee posted:

I only build pc computers using Grover brand cases

Load-bearing CPU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zero VGS posted:

:hmmyes:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
shine on you crazy excess disposable income diamond

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The nr200 is an amazing case. You can run a 5950x and a 3090 at full power in an 18L footprint if you want.

Or you can do what I did and tune your CPU to about 100w and GPU to about 260w and have a fully air cooled system so quiet under gaming load you can't tell it's on with your ear next to the case.

ITX is not the compromise it once was.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What are safe GPU temp ranges? Stress testing my new system but don't have a benchmark for context. Furmark is showing 80C with fans at 73%. I understand I can get it lower through undervolting or higher fan speed, but I'm not chasing lowest temp possibles, especially if it's comes with higher noise or less performance; my goal is safe temps. Room temp is at 74 to 76 if that matters. A lot of posts online saying this is really high, but I feel like a lot of those are bragging or serious hardware min/maxers

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The SFF/ITX thread recommended me the Lian Li TU150 back when the NR200 was out of stock and harder to find. The TU150 PC was the easiest build I've ever done and the best case I've ever built in, hands down. SFF PCs are cute and good :3: The TU150 even has a collapsable handle atop for optimal portability.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PageMaster posted:

What are safe GPU temp ranges? Stress testing my new system but don't have a benchmark for context. Furmark is showing 80C with fans at 73%. I understand I can get it lower through undervolting or higher fan speed, but I'm not chasing lowest temp possibles, especially if it's comes with higher noise or less performance; my goal is safe temps. Room temp is at 74 to 76 if that matters. A lot of posts online saying this is really high, but I feel like a lot of those are bragging or serious hardware min/maxers

To answer at least part of your question, I don’t think 80C during a benchmark stress test is a place to be worried—especially if your current fan curve isn’t even running at full tilt.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea I have never manually changed my GPU (or any other) fan curves, and it (an EVGA 1080) seems to want to run at 80 degrees? Like it's only at 50ish percent fan speed, doesn't seem bothered.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
None of the manufacturers ever code 100% into their fan curves, the only way to reach 100% is with a manual fan curve. Manufacturers optimize for noise, so to keep it under control they start throttling performance to control the GPU temperatures instead of speeding up the fans any further.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PageMaster posted:

Safe temps depend on the card, but 80 C is not a dangerous temp in modern GPUs, especially if you only hit it in furmark.

Undervolting doesn't trade away performance, however, but stability. It can actually improve performance in some circumstances if your power limit stays the same (it lets the GPU draw more current to hit its power limit, which is better for hitting higher clock speeds). Undervolting past the point where you can consistently hit your target core clock starts to reduce power draw without compromising performance. It's only if you lower your target clock speed or power limit when this will start negatively affecting performance.

For example, at its default state my 5700 XT often tops out at around 1800 MHz at 220W. Undervolt it, and I can get around 1950MHz at 220W. Undervolt it some more and I can get it down to around 1950MHz at 165W before it starts getting unstable. This is a great result for performance, thermals, and acoustics. Apparently the 3080 and 3080 Ti respond well to undervolting too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpfYTi43TE

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This almost 9 year old Corsair 400r keeps temps low with some extra fans (including a jury-rigged fan in the drive bays below the CD caddy that intakes straight into the Noctua NH-D15), so I keep looking at all these cool cases but have no real reason to upgrade from a cooling or capacity pov. But that O11 Mini Air may just be too cool to pass up on.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

v1ld posted:

This almost 9 year old Corsair 400r keeps temps low with some extra fans (including a jury-rigged fan in the drive bays below the CD caddy that intakes straight into the Noctua NH-D15), so I keep looking at all these cool cases but have no real reason to upgrade from a cooling or capacity pov. But that O11 Mini Air may just be too cool to pass up on.
The upcoming O11 Evo is hopefully going to be be a good fit. I'm tired of my old eATX, especially because it's such a pain to take outside and clean, and the cable management support is awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGr6DXtxuxI

Had an October release last I checked, but I wouldn't assume it's set it stone. One thing I dislike about Lian Li is that a lot of cases are slow improvements over the other, but it's hard to tell which is the latest revision. One issue their cases seem to have is that the hot-swappable HDD bays trap a lot of heat. Not sure if they've addresed that yet.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PageMaster posted:

As long as you aren't throttling, I wouldn't worry about it.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

PageMaster posted:

A little high but won't damage your card, you'll just go a bit lower on boost clocks than otherwise.

I didn't bother with undervolting because with my brief experiments even using people's conservative undervolts I encountered stability problems after about a day or so.

(also I like the lack of F on the room temps - like no, 74 C is a bit high for room temp I'd say)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

I'm your CAD wizard and volunteer at my makerspace. Our air compressor is down so lasers aren't happy, but DM me with your email and I'll get it set up so we can be ready to go when it's back up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

80 C is not a dangerous temp in modern GPUs

really? boy I've been worrying about nothing

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

gradenko_2000 posted:

The 5700 XT could have parts of the GPU die hit 100+ C and still be within spec. Attempts to lower temps are almost always a function of flexing and lowering the fan speed for acoustics.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean, it's still a little bit on the high side, just not "you're literally melting your GPU" or anything. My 5700 XT reaches steady state at around 75 C (GPU die temp, 94 C hot spot) in Furmark, though at around 40% fan speed, granted. That 75 to 80 C range is the typical range card manufacturers allow the GPU to run at with their default fan curve it seems.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks all. I changed the fan curves to aggressive and full load temp caps at 73C with 94% fan speed (in my warm room with no AC) so it sounds like it's fine but if it wasn't I'm sort of out of options for changing it cooling anyways.

edit: first run was also with whatever EVGA's X1 default "auto" works at (I think that's just letting the card do it's default), but it looks like I can mess around with custom fan curves in the program now if it was a problem.

I also looked up undervolting after the post above after it, and it looks like you can commonly get up to 10C lower load temps with just one or two percent performance so I might dive into and start figuring out how all that works.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 13, 2021

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
It doesn't hurt to remember that CPUs and GPUs are made out of a type of glass/sand with metal for wires, things that aren't particularly bothered by running around the boiling point of water.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Also thermal sensing is much much much better than it used to be, with dozens of temperature sensing structures spread throughout the die at locations which models show to having the highest temperatures. CPUs and GPUs depend on boosting so much these days that they need that extra resolution to run right up against the edge of the thermal envelope.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Indiana_Krom posted:

It doesn't hurt to remember that CPUs and GPUs are made out of a type of glass/sand with metal for wires, things that aren't particularly bothered by running around the boiling point of water.

This. Like consumer GPUs are probably not rated nearly as high, but it's not particularly uncommon for electronics to be rated for operating temperatures way up to 110 degrees C.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Rated for, but not optimal at. A LOT of silicon starts getting very unhappy at 90-110c. That said, it is generally fine for many things, and for GPUs it's mostly memory that is at risk of failure from temperature since it doesn't have a ton of temperatures and aggressive dynamic downclocking the way GPU cores do.

There's no really good reason to let a GPU or anything else be super hot if you're any kind of hardware enthusiast. Just give it more air, or better thermal interfaces. You may or may not get more performance out of it, but fixing a bad situation can definitely give you a quieter system and a lower chance of early failure.