Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I didn't really go into it but when I was stripping my Miata down for Volkzda but there was rust starting in some crevices and trap areas. 100% CA car too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

Thats what they said too :v: i knew it was getting bad too but i was still surprised. I had the sills done too, same issue as everyone else has. My arches are still ok but he pointed out the water can get in on the inside between the inner sheet mental and outside of the quarter panel. But I did find water in the battery compartment a few weeks ago so I'll have some sealing to do.

It's really shocking how solid these cars are mechanically but the bodywork is hilarious. I think the Japanese just don't care because they scrap everything before this becomes a problem.

My battery tray looked a little bit rusty on the inside. Go underneath the car and it needs cutting out, the underseal job has let go and let water in. Another thing to add to the list. The way the car has multiple pieces from the main chassis to the sills is mad too because at the seams, water just rots them out so you end up with 4 spots near the jacking points that need hacking out. If you're unlucky (hello) then you'll need to hack out the jacking points too as the rot spreads.

Like you say, mechanically they're super solid but the fact the cars are so light is due to the metalwork in them being layers of thin stuff. Water gets in and they just crumble away. Again this is not helped by there being so many upward facing seams where water can collect.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Simplify, then add lightness.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Crisis averted, I changed the oil in the miata and while I was up by the oil filter I re-kagijjerd the the oil pressure sensor connector and whaddaya know? Oil pressure gauge functions agian.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
It is really wild how much of a difference this big stupid brake kit made

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

nerdrum posted:

It is really wild how much of a difference this big stupid brake kit made

Those the willwood 4 pistons? What rotor? Nice wheels too.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Leaking oil from the front end. All seals are new. I have no idea what the gently caress anymore.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Did you use Mazda OEM seals?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I did. I did not use a seal installation tool which is the only think I can think of that would gently caress this up. Maybe I pushed the seal too far? I have no idea. I bought flying miatas installation tool to make it idiot proof. I've done front seals before on other cars so I'm not sure what is different here.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Virgil Vox posted:

Those the willwood 4 pistons? What rotor? Nice wheels too.

It’s actually the six piston kit with the 12.88” rotors. Wheels are normally a Mini Cooper style wheel but they fit great.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

um excuse me posted:

I did. I did not use a seal installation tool which is the only think I can think of that would gently caress this up. Maybe I pushed the seal too far? I have no idea. I bought flying miatas installation tool to make it idiot proof. I've done front seals before on other cars so I'm not sure what is different here.

I didn't use a seal install tool either, I usually just use the old seal as a guide / seal driver along with a tiny bit of fork seal grease. Which one is leaking now (hopefully not crank)? Maybe it got nicked on the way in?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nearly got the new top finished, misplaced two nuts (which I bagged and labeled as I undid them so i don't know what the gently caress) and I was too whipped when I got back from the store to wrap the rear up. Hoping to finish today or tomorrow. Probably selling the truck to Carmax this week so I need to get this sorted to drive asap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Okay, gotta put the interior back together but it opens and closes properly!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm probably just preaching to the choir here with the question, but I need to make sure it's a serious option for the kind of car I'm looking for:

Northern Illinois, 1 car only, will have to deal with heavy traffic. Willing to buy used or new, looking at the 2019+ ND RF.

Is it liveable?
I still don't know if I want to be lazy with the auto or try to learn stick on it

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For one car I'd consider the Mazda 3. I have a 2019 and that is a perfectly serviceable commuter and grocery getter. It's also plenty small and sporty when you need it to be. And if you're looking for Miata power the non turbo is comparable. What do you do if you have to move a couch or something currently? It'll help me understand what sort of resources you need vs what you have access to already.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

um excuse me posted:

For one car I'd consider the Mazda 3. I have a 2019 and that is a perfectly serviceable commuter and grocery getter. It's also plenty small and sporty when you need it to be. And if you're looking for Miata power the non turbo is comparable. What do you do if you have to move a couch or something currently? It'll help me understand what sort of resources you need vs what you have access to already.

Yeah, the 3 is what I was looking at on the high end of things, it'd definitely help me with more practical things once in a blue moon and moving could possibly become one of them

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm always preaching the ND as a DD but you do have to consider space, that's just a lifestyle thing. As a single guy with few commitments I tend to claim it doesn't affect me but there are definitely situations I've put myself in where I'd kill just to have a regular hatch. If you never have passengers then you have a lot more flexibility.

As far as driving in traffic goes it's about the easiest possible option for manuals, but if you're actually in constant stop-and-go then maybe I'd reconsider. I drive in city traffic plenty in mine, but I don't have to regularly commute through it. Without trying to be too anti-auto though I would probably reconsider a Miata in general if circumstances made me require an automatic unless I was dying for a little roadster. It's not like more practical cars can't be fun too.

But the car itself is perfectly sensible for general transportation as long as you fit in it. It'll handle all seasons with reasonable comfort and plenty of modern conveniences.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

*sighs longingly at photo as I crack open radiator drain plug again*

I went all around Maine this weekend with friends. Mount Washington is in the background there.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I wouldn't be too concerned about a Miata if you're worried about being able to move furniture or whatever less than twice a year. Go to U-Haul and rent a huge truck for $20. I'd be more concerned with how often you plan to buy bulky things like lumber, stuff sold by taking a bunch off a pallet like insulation or concrete or whatever, or those big bundles of paper towels or toilet paper. If you aren't doing home repair or buying stuff for a whole family you're probably fine.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

I wouldn't be too concerned about a Miata if you're worried about being able to move furniture or whatever less than twice a year. Go to U-Haul and rent a huge truck for $20. I'd be more concerned with how often you plan to buy bulky things like lumber, stuff sold by taking a bunch off a pallet like insulation or concrete or whatever, or those big bundles of paper towels or toilet paper. If you aren't doing home repair or buying stuff for a whole family you're probably fine.

Don't know if you've rented a truck recently, but they're impossible to schedule on short notice and getting wildly expensive. At least that is true here in New England. I can't find a decently high res photo, but even the uhaul pick up says "$19.95 In Town* *plus mileage and fuel" The latter in such small writing as to seemingly not show up in photos. So yea, you can't do anything for $20.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Obviously I need to actually go schedule an appointment to test drive both an ND RF and a 3. It helps they’re they’re both Mazda’s!!!!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

um excuse me posted:

Don't know if you've rented a truck recently, but they're impossible to schedule on short notice and getting wildly expensive. At least that is true here in New England. I can't find a decently high res photo, but even the uhaul pick up says "$19.95 In Town* *plus mileage and fuel" The latter in such small writing as to seemingly not show up in photos. So yea, you can't do anything for $20.

I haven't rented one recently, but even after upgrading to the next size up and paying for extra insurance it's still not expensive compared to the people that buy a pickup truck in case they need to haul a medium sized load once every two years.

If it really matters, $20 will still get you the Home Depot truck as long as you get it back within an hour and don't use all the gas.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Unwrap stuff like big paper towels and toilet paper in parking lot then stuff in every nook and cranny. Those other things rent a truck or make a truck friend.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

I think a lot of people really get caught up about those rare times they'll need to seat 5 people or load a car with a whole bunch of poo poo. If you buy a small car you learn to live your life around the limitations of it and honestly I quite like it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also consider not having to drive everyone around an advantage that comes with a two-seater. It's like living in one of those tiny houses, it's a limiting choice they frees you!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ You're a lot less likely to be asked to give people a lift places, more likely to be asked to go for a blast which is definitely the better option when the car is that much fun to drive.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That is the case with my fiesta, and the miata would basically be like the fiesta with 300 pounds removed so!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm probably just preaching to the choir here with the question, but I need to make sure it's a serious option for the kind of car I'm looking for:

Northern Illinois, 1 car only, will have to deal with heavy traffic. Willing to buy used or new, looking at the 2019+ ND RF.

Is it liveable?
I still don't know if I want to be lazy with the auto or try to learn stick on it

I have a 2021 ND RF and I actually went through the same thing going back and forth about whether I could DD a Miata. Before I bought it back in March, I had a 2016 ND and a (manual) 2017 Mazda6. I had initially bought that first Miata as a second car since I, like you, was concerned about the practicality. Surprisingly I didn’t find that I needed the extra space with the 6 all that much. Even grocery shopping for myself and my husband is totally doable with just the Miata. In a way, it’s nicer since the trunk is smaller so stuff doesn’t roll around as much. So, I traded them both in on my new RF and I have no regrets.

That said, I always go for a stick over an auto if there’s an option, but if I had to go back to a larger car, I would seriously consider the turbo AWD Mazda3.

Some disclaimers: I live in the mid-Atlantic and I work remote 50/50 and live less than 3 miles from my office when I do have to go in, and I do also have an old Mazda extended cab B3000, but I really only have to use it if I need to bring my greyhound somewhere.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 11, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

pastor of muppets posted:

Some disclaimers: I live in the mid-Atlantic and I work remote 50/50 and live less than 3 miles from my office when I do have to go in

It turns out that this is actually my work/commute situation too, so a fun car gets to be very much a choice. And yeah the trunk would be used maybe 3 or 4 times a month, usually a couple times for errands and once for hobby. I could totally adapt my hobby to fit the trunk, too

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

It turns out that this is actually my work/commute situation too, so a fun car gets to be very much a choice. And yeah the trunk would be used maybe 3 or 4 times a month, usually a couple times for errands and once for hobby. I could totally adapt my hobby to fit the trunk, too

I owned a Mazda3 for commuting for 10 months and would never pick it again. Too much commuter and not enough fun. I'd pick the RF and never look back

e: the deficiencies in the Mazda3 are not obvious. I'd cane it round a cloverleaf and it would do well, the issue is more its willingness to change direction and also throttle sensitivity

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 11, 2021

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Some little poo poo wrote “HI” on the hood of my car in the dirt* which is a good enough reason to wash and wax it top to bottom I guess

*I am not convinced it wasn’t my husband, even though he denies it

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully no scratches. Speaking of, how is Mazdas factory paint quality for the MX-5? It looked okay on the Mazda 3 but there are 4 different plants that make them so quality could vary.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Keeping this particular color looking good is very tough, but that was true for my Mazda6 in the same color, so I knew what I was getting into. Looks awesome when it's clean, looks terrible when it's not. I never had any quality problems with the paint on my 6 though and I owned that for four years, so Im hoping my Miata will be the same.

I've seen folks either in this thread or the other Mazda thread complain about Soul Red being extremely fragile while others claim to have had no issues, so yeah, there seems like there's a lot of QA variance.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Hopefully no scratches. Speaking of, how is Mazdas factory paint quality for the MX-5? It looked okay on the Mazda 3 but there are 4 different plants that make them so quality could vary.

It's absolutely horrible, I have ceramic metallic on a 2016 and I've never seen such a huge amount of chips on the front on any other vehicle.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

My 2016 was snowflake pearl white and had a few chips in the rear bumper where I'm pretty sure the PO backed into a bush or something. Also, one on the interior passenger door sill panel (which drove me nuts like how did that even happen :argh:?) Front bumper was flawless oddly enough. I had the dealer touch up the chips in the rear before I took it home.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The paint is pretty thin, like ~65 microns in the thicker parts.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Enjoy some Mazda factory production line ASMR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EQMMIpu7cY&t=642s

Several Miatas being born :3:

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Can you actually factory order a new ND RF right now with the factory shut downs? I was sort of told no at a dealer today but the guy was being shady and wouldn't answer questions directly.

I'm helping a friend car shop and we're trying to avoid paying dealer markup over msrp or paying a crazy amount for a used car by factory ordering but obviously if Mazda isn't making any cars right now that won't work.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Virgil Vox posted:

It's absolutely horrible, I have ceramic metallic on a 2016 and I've never seen such a huge amount of chips on the front on any other vehicle.

Check out my Jizz lol

Supposedly only 160k km too.

My NB is relatively chip free but it's gotten beat up in other ways so will need a respray.

pastor of muppets posted:

Enjoy some Mazda factory production line ASMR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EQMMIpu7cY&t=642s

Several Miatas being born :3:
That's really cool, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I somehow forgot to take any pictures during installation but the new top is on and opens and closes easily (after some trial and error with the listing panel thing). It is extremely nice having tit all buttoned back up again. Slapped the new battery in yesterday, gave it a decent wash today. Just need to polish up the headlights and it's ready for DD use.

As I should start looking before the season, I'm gonna need to get the winter tires and probably cheap wheels to put them on.