Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

They had a funny thing going as "bad boys of magic" until you realize that Penn really was like that 24/7.

Their best trick was when they fooled themselves into not noticing that they shot nearly back-to-back episodes of Bullshit where they mocked creationism for its logical fallacies and fake experts, and then mocked 'climate alarmism' by bringing on fake experts to indulge in logical fallacies.

Shocking, really, how so many in that early web contrarian/libertarian/"new atheist" movement turned out garden variety fascists. (Not necessarily P&T themselves, but you see that same sort of thoughtless reflexive contrarianism in the early stages of the IDW-to-alt right pipeline.)

Not as shocking if I'd paid attention to Garibaldi's evolution more. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I'm watching this show for the first time and it owns. Just got to the gift shop episode

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Terror Sweat posted:

I'm watching this show for the first time and it owns. Just got to the gift shop episode

CEASE READING THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY.

Go post in this one instead, everyone is hungry for fresh meat: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925635

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

Seconding the above poster. There are mighty mighty spoilers in this here thread. And B5 is very spoiler sensitive.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd say whether you wanna risk getting spoilered is your own choice and this thread is actually a lot less spoilery than a lot of TVIV threads, but yeah there's the blindwatch thread for if you wanna have a more protected experience.

But man, the way Sheridan says "Bear", I still can't believe it. It haunts me.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd say whether you wanna risk getting spoilered is your own choice and this thread is actually a lot less spoilery than a lot of TVIV threads, but yeah there's the blindwatch thread for if you wanna have a more protected experience.

More to the point, the blindwatch thread hungers for fresh meat and you will be adored and praised for posting there as you progress through the show, regardless of how you personally feel about having been spoiled or whatever.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

More to the point, the blindwatch thread hungers for fresh meat and you will be adored and praised for posting there as you progress through the show, regardless of how you personally feel about having been spoiled or whatever.

I did not know there is one. What's it called

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

I did not know there is one. What's it called

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925635

Here's the link to it. It's called "Babylon 5 blind watch thread: Maybe they're Zorlons?"

It's in SciFi Wifi.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
TV IV › Babylon 5: blindwatch thread is in another castle, OP

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

CainFortea posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925635

Here's the link to it. It's called "Babylon 5 blind watch thread: Maybe they're Zorlons?"

It's in SciFi Wifi.

Thanks bro

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Oasx posted:

I had no idea there was a B5 thread.

I recently re-watched it, I was a little disappointed that they didn't remaster/re-do the CGI, but I understand that that would probably have been extremely expensive, otherwise it looks really good.

CGI was originally made with Amigas, so it can't be that expensive.
What's the current going rate for a Amiga-farm to render some CGI?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

adhuin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtNtUIbU5zDuTq_BJ7xj_MA/videos Original models+mostly origonal textures

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

adhuin posted:

It was made on a farm of Amiga 4000s with Video Toaster cards. 4000s aren't too common these days, and the VTs were $5k each at the time. It would be infinitely cheaper to use the last generation of PC Toaster from 2012.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SlothfulCobra posted:

This thread is a lot less spoilery because the franchise is more or less dead, nothing new is coming out. Something like Star Trek or Star Wars has new material coming out, that's then compared to older stuff, thus becoming quite spoilery.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The only thing a thread on forums.somethingawful.com needs in order to be filled with assholes posting spoilers, is for it to be a thread on forums.somethingawful.com

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kingturnip posted:

The only thing a thread on forums.somethingawful.com needs in order to be filled with assholes posting spoilers, is for it to be a thread on forums.somethingawful.com

Minor edit for truth.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Torrannor posted:

This thread is a lot less spoilery because the franchise is more or less dead, nothing new is coming out. Something like Star Trek or Star Wars has new material coming out, that's then compared to older stuff, thus becoming quite spoilery.

No, it's because us Old Ones have a strict non-intervention policy.

sometimes.

:haw:

WRT redoing graphics - the main issue is that the ship battles are in a different aspect radio than the live action stuff, so it would look jarring to bounce back and forth. At least that's what JMS says.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

No, it's because us Old Ones have a strict non-intervention policy.

Yea, spoilers in the Younger Races thread tend to cause people (me) to ping mods on discord and it's effectively the only thread I report posts in. :D

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just in case there's anyone who still doesn't like Claudia Christian:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=410347110451022&id=100044272097519

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch: Lochley's hair is reaching centauri proportions:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Holy poo poo the Babylon 5 on HBOmax does not look good at all. Maybe its just me I dunno it looks really bad.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Holy poo poo the Babylon 5 on HBOmax does not look good at all. Maybe its just me I dunno it looks really bad.

It looks as good as it ever has. Though the video is slightly more visibly compressed on HBO Max than on Prime Video, smoothing out the film grain a bit, but nothing major.

It's a huge improvement over the DVD versions anyway.

Note also that The Gathering is not remastered, if that's what you started with.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Zat posted:

It looks as good as it ever has. Though the video is slightly more visibly compressed on HBO Max than on Prime Video, smoothing out the film grain a bit, but nothing major.

Note also that The Gathering is not remastered, if that's what you started with.

Yeah that's what I started with. That's what's listed as S01E01. I haven't seen Babylon 5 in literally 20 years or more so be interesting to rewatch it. I remember some major plot archs but a lot of the middle stuff I don't remember at all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Interesting interview with JMS,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw1OU-m9LC8

Apparently the Centauri hair was the result of a practical joke that JMS took seriously.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Babylon 5 rewatch: Lochley's hair is reaching centauri proportions:

The '90s were a glorious time, although I don't think B5 got as far into the shoulder pads thing as trek did

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm through most of Season 1 of B5 now and drat is it good. Like some of the episodes are kind stinkers, but when its good its really loving good. Just got through with Voice in the Wilderness.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hollismason posted:

I'm through most of Season 1 of B5 now and drat is it good. Like some of the episodes are kind stinkers, but when its good its really loving good. Just got through with Voice in the Wilderness.

post in the blind watch thread, they are newbie vampires and will feed on your soul essence with shrill cries of delight (but in a good way!)

1st season is a little underrated imo, it's def bitsier but I really like Sinclair and there is a real gusto in all the alien and sci fi set dressing stuff. next few seasons will not disappoint you :D

e: oh you are, lol oops proceed

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sebmojo posted:

post in the blind watch thread, they are newbie vampires and will feed on your soul essence with shrill cries of delight (but in a good way!)

1st season is a little underrated imo, it's def bitsier but I really like Sinclair and there is a real gusto in all the alien and sci fi set dressing stuff. next few seasons will not disappoint you :D

e: oh you are, lol oops proceed

Hey, could you edit the post OnlyBans made in the other thread? it's not really spoilery, but it doesn't belong in the 1st watch thread.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Will do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Finished Season 1 of Babylon 5. I sleep skipped a few episodes but overall I really liked it. I'mma try to make a effort to watch all episodes going forward though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hollismason posted:

Finished Season 1 of Babylon 5. I sleep skipped a few episodes but overall I really liked it. I'mma try to make a effort to watch all episodes going forward though.

Go back and watched the ones you slept through. If they're late season one, they're important.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a heavily serialized show. You can't really skip things

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Data Graham posted:

Unless you sleep-skipped TKO.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Data Graham posted:

There's only four truly skippable episodes in S1 - Believers, TKO, Grail and Eyes - but you can skip 12 episodes of S1 without harming the arc to any great degree. The other eight are good world and character building, but they aren't essential viewing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even in the later seasons there are episodes that don't mean a whole lot to the overall story. But like with all tv shows you shouldn't skip an episode unless you have seen it at least once.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007
I can't remember who it is that's in charge of the blind watch thread, but got some folk talking about the psi-corp commercial in there. I know it's not really a like, story spoiler, but it is a really funny bit that works best if you're not expecting it. Might want to edit some posts in there. Probably mine too now that I think about it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

V-Men posted:

Unless you sleep-skipped TKO.

It's only very slightly plot or arc relevant in any way, but I stand by TKO for the B-plot.

Vavrek posted:

This is one of my favorite episodes just for how wildly divergent the A and B plots are in tone, character significance, and how much I like them. I once had this exchange with a friend, when I was rewatching the series:

"Do you remember the episode when Ivanova's hometown rabbi shows up because he's concerned she's not grieving for her father properly?"
"Yeah, I thought it was a really well-done and touching story, and a really good depiction of Jewish culture."
"Do you remember the episode when Sugar Ray Robinson shows up, and he's Garibaldi's old friend, and the plot is about him getting to be the first human allowed into Alien Kickboxing?"
"Yeah. That was kind of dumb."
"That was the same episode."
"What." :aaaaa:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Zat posted:

Yeah the actual HD shots are so good that I got a new appreciation for how good the costuming and makeup was. Especially for Londo and G’kar.

On the flip side I noticed in one scene the mesh/hair net thing that Bill Mumy wore under the bonehead prosthetic sticking out a bit. And there was one very heavy, emotional scene that was 90% close-ups on Delenn and it was clear that they messed up the skin to hair transition on the side of her head.

These were in later seasons so no doubt they were due to their attempts to cut down on the time spent in the makeup chair every day.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Ash1138 posted:

Yeah the actual HD shots are so good that I got a new appreciation for how good the costuming and makeup was. Especially for Londo and G’kar.

On the flip side I noticed in one scene the mesh/hair net thing that Bill Mumy wore under the bonehead prosthetic sticking out a bit. And there was one very heavy, emotional scene that was 90% close-ups on Delenn and it was clear that they messed up the skin to hair transition on the side of her head.

These were in later seasons so no doubt they were due to their attempts to cut down on the time spent in the makeup chair every day.

That poo poo blows my mind about sci-fi actors. The folks that get made up are in the drat chair for HOURS every day before their day even starts. And they probably don't make nearly as much as the series leads that waltz in, get some powder or whatever and are good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, my only S1 skip is Believers. TKO's b-plot is solid gold.