Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I would like to inform you that Mega Sonic Thrust is Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

How you can tell just from the smell that the animals are ready Law that's kinda creepy. We're like 2 continents away from the farm!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lol i completely ran out of items on the boss fight when you meet the 4th lord and got it down from 30k health by spamming demon fang. when the hell do you stop not having money to buy stuff this is getting annoying.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
you get a poo poo load of money off selling commodity drops you get from random encounters

also if you're on pc just cheat engine lmao

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What is the big money sink by area 4, I kinda have a lot just from sidequests.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The only other Tales game I've played is Symphonia, which I remember liking overall, but thinking the story/characters were bland. I'm a few hours into this game and it seems like the same deal. Writing/dialogue like this is why I generally avoid the Tales games. Hopefully it get's better.

I'm not going to say Final Fantasy is a masterpiece of storytelling, but it doesn't have poo poo like, "One of them can't feel pain but wants to take the pain of others, and the other inflicts pain on anyone who gets close to them" delivered solemnly and in earnest. It's cringe inducing.

Combat in this game seems fun though.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

The Shame Boy posted:

Because it roots Alphen in place and takes forever to actually come out AND you can't really follow it up with anything so it's bad as anything other than a combo ender that does ridiculous amounts of damage.

:goonsay: you can actually follow it up without using boost attacks by using your dodge roll to cancel out of the recovery of it to close the distance

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Megasabin posted:

I'm not going to say Final Fantasy is a masterpiece of storytelling, but it doesn't have poo poo like, "One of them can't feel pain but wants to take the pain of others, and the other inflicts pain on anyone who gets close to them" delivered solemnly and in earnest. It's cringe inducing.

I remember that, it was hilariously awkward because it was one of the only lines he had in that cutscene and neither of them pay it any attention. Like they didn't have the confidence in their writing, they had to spell out the dynamic less than an hour into the game.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
edit: wrong thread

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man the guys who designed the Carlos Mencia area really, really really liked Xenoblade. Huge Plains of Gaur flashbacks

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Area 2 spoilers I don’t think I’ve laughed at something that was not meant to be funny harder than the first time I saw Zephyr: Deceased

This game is completely incapable of literally any subtext

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow Kisara's ability sure seems like it would be useful against the area 3 boss it if ever loving hit

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
Started Arise yesterday, just got to the second area. The game's combat is a bit too fast-paced for me, so I appreciate the Story difficulty. I hope the game is going to be one long string of "various ways people react to being oppressed over a long period of time", because I find it interesting so far. The first area seemed to be "brutal oppression through active, painful mistreatment", from what Rinwell said on the way to the second area it sounds like this time it's going to be more about "breaking people down psychologically, to rat out your neighbor for either personal profit and/or survival".

I really like Alphen, which is funny because I didn't expect to (I expected him to be edgy as hell but he's surprisingly calm/mature so far). His amnesia makes it feel natural that he stands up to the Renans, without making it seem like the other Dahnans are lesser/not as strong for not doing so. They have a lifetime of being pushed into the dirt, while Alphen's just got one year's worth, and he's already pretty down when the game starts. A year is enough to establish connections/relationships to his fellow Dahnans while keeping his past a mystery, and it makes the Renan guards come across as very, but not unbelievably, incompetent for not having looked up who this dude is yet. The guy in the opening scene didn't even seem to have the faintest idea who he was, not even a "I hear there's a dude with a mask who has A Thing for helping other slaves"). I like it, it shows how little they care about what's going on among the Dahnans. People go "wow Alphen you must've been skilled at hiding your lack of a spirit core" like, no, I'm pretty sure the guards just didn't give enough of a poo poo to notice/spend an hour or two looking it up, because he's literally faceless among a sea of people who are also figuratively faceless to them, why bother? I also like how his inability to feel pain isn't treated as this super special anime thing in the game's context; sure, people gasp and go wow that's so weird, but his skin gets seared like any other person's if he holds a flaming sword, and as he says he probably would've succumbed to basic wounds/infections at some point if he didn't have people around him to take care of that. Makes him feel more like a regular person and less of a super special chosen one, which I appreciate.

I like Shionne too, though I feel like I haven't seen enough of her to say much yet. Her dragging Alphen across the map just to find some cool clothes is amazing, it's just petty/selfish enough to be the sort of thing a person might actually do, either because they're very out-of-touch, are THAT much of a racist that wearing foreign clothes is ~too disgusting~, or that they are desperate for some sort of familiar thing to subconsciously use as a security blanket. Alphen calling her out on how stupid it is helped a lot too, made it feel less random and more a part of Shionne's character. One thing I found weird is the scene in the castle where they help the kid, and Shionne goes "don't touch me" and the game treats it as oh, that Shionne, she's just racist against Dahnans and doesn't want a slave to touch her. Like, didn't we establish that she causes pain to whoever she touches? I assumed that to be the reason she didn't want the kid close. Sure, maybe it's that she's got some internal racism issues, but the game doesn't even bring up the thorns thing, which struck me as weird. Oh well. She's obviously got some deep-rooted issues and I look forward to see her work on them. I may also be slightly biased because I have issues with physical touch, so seeing her recoil resonates with me.

Zephyr not dying when he joined the decoy fight against Balseph's forces was the biggest plot twist, I swear to god. I 110% expected him to die. I still expect him to die! Dude's got "mentor who either dies or turns evil" written all over him, and he seems too reasonable to have been secretly evil a la Van or Artorius. I kind of wish he keeps Not Dying and be a cool father figure for Alphen for the rest of the game, just to throw me off :v:

If nothing else I think the game is very pretty to look at. Even if the story ends up veering heavily into a direction I don't like, at least I hope it'll be pretty to the very end, and I like the character interactions so far. The new skit style is cool.

These are mostly ramblings from my immediate first impressions, I might have the totally wrong idea. Guess I'll have to play more and find out.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ASenileAnimal posted:

the early ones raised by % too so if you hoarded them you could get your hp up to max by the end of the game

also every boss fight in arise seems to have the same pattern when they spawn annoying adds halfway through and when theyre down to like 25% they just go absolutely nuts and you spend alot of time in the menu tossing out all your healing items. i try to get them to chase my character at this point because your ai teammates just get shredded constantly.

Honestly the boss fights are the worst part of the game so far and I might just drop to story for them, because while they are not hard they are definitely too long and all the same

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The combination of ridiculous super armor on bosses plus their insane health pools plus the CP system plus how goddamn expensive everything is relative to your gald at any given time makes boss fights a chore, especially humanoid ones. The (third zone) Dohalim fight was just a nightmare, I used all of my Life Bottles and Orange Gels. And then to add insult to injury, the end of the fight was a joke because they just continually spammed a Mystic Arte that was trivial to dodge. It just made it take even longer to whittle them down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm gonna be real bummed when Balseph dies if only because I won't get to hear his name anymore.

Do you keep hearing it as ballsack as well?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That dragon that just bursts into a fight during a random fight was pretty funny.

Took a bit but I got 'em, it was a gently caress around and find out situation for the critter.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Saw some dumbass kotaku article about how the game is better after remapping the controls and it is in fact better imo.

e: https://kotaku.com/tales-of-arise-is-even-better-if-you-remap-the-buttons-1847648078

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Nyoro posted:

Honestly the boss fights are the worst part of the game so far and I might just drop to story for them, because while they are not hard they are definitely too long and all the same
i sincerely don't understand what happened to the boss fights in the game

was it some sort of last minute changes that they didn't test or something? it feels like with the amount of HP they have they expected you to break bosses, chain combos and launchers to keep them broke, then go back to the fight like with regular enemies but beefed up.

but then you can't do that. breaking them stops them for like two seconds, they can't be juggled and so it devolves into spamming the hardest hitting or ranged artes you have. it's like the game becomes drastically shittier once they introduce a boss because they take away most of the combat.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 12, 2021

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

yea i might drop it down to story for bosses. i just beat the 4th lord and i was beating on it for what felt like an eternity and i looked up and it still had like half health lol. it was actually one of the easier boss fights but it just took so drat long.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

i sincerely don't understand what happened to the boss fights in the game

was it some sort of last minute changes that they didn't test or something? it feels like with the amount of HP they have they expected you to break bosses, chain combos and launchers to keep them broke, then go back to the fight like with regular enemies but beefed up.

but then you can't do that. breaking them stops them for like two seconds, they can't be juggled and so it devolves into spamming the hardest hitting or ranged artes you have. it's like the game becomes drastically shittier once they introduce a boss because they take away most of the combat.

Are you using everything in your arsenal?

Like I genuinely am not sure why people are having such hard time unless you're ignoring the various tools available to you. You can absolutely break bosses (they even have HP bars divided into segments so you can do special moves that wreck their poo poo without it being an insta-win.) You just need to stay in, keep aggressive, and perfect dodge/guard as often as possible so you're not backing off.

You can't juggle large enemies but you can still stun and down them which leaves them way more vulnerable to slower charging arts like Alphin's Blazing Swords

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Barudak posted:

Kisara's burst is weirdly finicky. In the charger boss there was multiple times I'd use it and it would just flat out whiff and for a burst thats mostly good on reaction that kinds of dire

Yeah there was a lot of trial and error for me in the third area main bosses because of this. If it's too early, the bosses will just plow through and probably wreck the poo poo out of multiple party members as a result. If it's too late, it's like the shield doesn't even register and Kisara still gets walloped. I don't know why they just didn't have it like a 4-5 second shield that you put up preemptively that you can't cancel out of that blocks everything during the duration outright

My main problem with these boss battles is that the hit-stun thing was kind of a solved problem in Graces; you can combo the poo poo out of bosses when you get the chance but you're not going to have the resources to infinite them and they can still do quite a bit of damage when you're done and dodging around. Here, not only can I seldom see what the gently caress the bosses are even doing in the middle of all these particle effects, but it just goes full Xillia in terms of bosses just not giving a gently caress what you're doing. Yeah, the skill boost stuff does help (especially Alphen's for the knockdown), but I literally just got stuck in a scenario in the third area main boss where Kisara didn't have enough meter even for two charges and I'm just sitting here like "welp I guess I'll just die"

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Are you using everything in your arsenal?

Like I genuinely am not sure why people are having such hard time unless you're ignoring the various tools available to you. You can absolutely break bosses (they even have HP bars divided into segments so you can do special moves that wreck their poo poo without it being an insta-win.) You just need to stay in, keep aggressive, and perfect dodge/guard as often as possible so you're not backing off.

You can't juggle large enemies but you can still stun and down them which leaves them way more vulnerable to slower charging arts like Alphin's Blazing Swords
yes, i'm in the 4th area and using everything available. what difficulty are you playing on?

breaking bosses doesn't get any better because it tends to last for a very short time (outside of some of the special cutscene interactions) in comparison to normal enemies where break lasts as long as they're combo'd and in the air.

perfect dodging is a great mechanic except when your party members constantly die anyways. which leads to very quickly running out of resources depending on how lucky you get, and with how much hp bosses have it's a race against the clock.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Floor is lava posted:

Saw some dumbass kotaku article about how the game is better after remapping the controls and it is in fact better imo.

e: https://kotaku.com/tales-of-arise-is-even-better-if-you-remap-the-buttons-1847648078

Hmm this control setup does sound pretty natural. I've been coasting by with the defaults but I might give this a go and see how I adjust.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
the human bosses in this one remind me of when I was playing Tales of Graces f recently, and was having a great time with the battle system until I fought Cedric. Human boss that will literally recover from hitstun while you're still in the middle of comboing them, and will beeline for your healers who you have to control to run away because they are too dumb to do it on their own and cannot dodge

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mr. Trampoline posted:

the human bosses in this one remind me of when I was playing Tales of Graces f recently, and was having a great time with the battle system until I fought Cedric. Human boss that will literally recover from hitstun while you're still in the middle of comboing them, and will beeline for your healers who you have to control to run away because they are too dumb to do it on their own and cannot dodge

Thinking about it, the worst bosses in Graces by a big margin were the few who just said “gently caress hitstun” and just did whatever they wanted.

It’s like every boss so far has been a bunch of Kurts

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am mostly enjoying the game but the 2nd lord fight was just a complete shitshow.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m playing Tales of Vesperia for Switch, the first of these types of games I’ve tried. I’m very bad at it but it’s still pretty fun, though it feels like cut scenes trigger all the dang time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It took me awhile to place Law's VA but it finally clicked to me that he's Komaeda

an excellent voice choice imo

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hunt11 posted:

I am mostly enjoying the game but the 2nd lord fight was just a complete shitshow.

the secret gimmick is you need to have law burst directly infront to do the cutscene

the sides don't work

it's dumb.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The boss fights are not hard, they're just wildly different from most regular enemies. The regular enemies you can beat like it's a pure action game. The bosses still play like an RPG where you need to match gear, pick the right moves, use buffs and debuffs, and all that other rpg poo poo.

Which I guess is harder but it feels more like the normal enemies are too easy and the bosses wouldn't be so tough if the game asked you to practice all of its systems more

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
lmao, does this second lord seriously have a loving dps check phase? what on earth are you supposed to do there??

i guess i should try playing as a character different from the main one maybe?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

lmao, does this second lord seriously have a loving dps check phase? what on earth are you supposed to do there??

I recommend spamming Reigning Slash tbh

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I said come in! posted:

Do you keep hearing it as ballsack as well?

I hope I never stop.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

abraham linksys posted:

im working my way to the 5th lord and the past 3 boss fights ive just been spamming demon fang and tossing items while the ai beats on the boss because i keep running out of items and the game doesnt give you enough gold to stock up without massive amounts of grind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

im working my way to the 5th lord and the past 3 boss fights ive just been spamming demon fang and tossing items while the ai beats on the boss because i keep running out of items and the game doesnt give you enough gold to stock up without massive amounts of grind.

Are you selling monster parts you don't need?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Are you selling monster parts you don't need?

i havent but it doesnt seem like you get much in relation to how much everything costs. you can safely sell armor right?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Megasabin posted:

This kind of overwrought melodrama is why I play JRPGs lol. I described this bit to my partner and we were laughing about it afterwards.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
got the second lord. used like 6 life bottles, 10 apple gels, and 8 orange gels, gonna have to replace those

did yall manage to beat his second cast of the big AOE? by putting 50% lightness defense artifact on shionne she managed to survive it okay and i popped life bottles to get people up, but wow, i dunno how you'd beat that dps race if that's the actual intent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Gamerofthegame posted:

the secret gimmick is you need to have law burst directly infront to do the cutscene

the sides don't work

it's dumb.

Do the secret cutscene instadowns only work the first time you do them? Because while they are cool it's a bit wierd that the boss can just keep doing the thing that is meant to be stopped in the cool way by a character but that character just can't do it again as far as i can tell. The 3rd Lord is especially bad at this since i only ever managed to stop the charge once in the beginning and then never again despite doing the same timing every time.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The boss fights are not hard, they're just wildly different from most regular enemies. The regular enemies you can beat like it's a pure action game. The bosses still play like an RPG where you need to match gear, pick the right moves, use buffs and debuffs, and all that other rpg poo poo.

Which I guess is harder but it feels more like the normal enemies are too easy and the bosses wouldn't be so tough if the game asked you to practice all of its systems more

If that's the case, it's a shame that buffs and healing come out of the same resource pool that is incredibly expensive to refill(there is no need for CP restore gels to be 3k a pop other than to entice people to buy Gald through microtransations). I like the CP system as far as a replacement for TP and for the normal amounts of healing you would need to do in regular fights.But the fact that healing arts,buffs, AND environment interactions come out of the same resource pool is a bit strange to me.