Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FAUXTON posted:

We haven't even seriously pursued clinic-bombing terrorists on an organizational level, instead just gazing upon a long string of 'lone wolf' events where they're found with literal carloads of evidence pointing to their support and financing networks.

That's more a case of the US's long history of only going after right wing terrorism when it is left with no other choice (OKC bombing) because its law enforcement agencies are busy aggressively going after any sort of progressive movement or person. Hell just look at how aggressive the DOJ has been in going after BLM protesters vs the farcical punishments handed out to literal secessionists. Their apathy towards abortion clinic bombings is just a result of that (and said agencies being full of right wingers who tend to be anti-choice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
From what I can find on Wikipedia, the most recent abortion-clinic violence in the US was in 2015.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only reason Republican operatives would be worried about the Texas law being allowed is because if they ever succeed in outlawing abortion they not only lose that as a means to mobilize a segment of their voters but they also know full well what the national reaction is going to be the first time a pregnant woman is left to die an agonizing death in a US hospital like what happened in Ireland a few years ago.

I believe they can continue to mobilize their base over "Dems want to legalize abortion again." The right wing media sphere is completely capable of making big scary issues whole cloth; why COULDN'T they mobilize people over something that's already true?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ShadowHawk posted:

From what I can find on Wikipedia, the most recent abortion-clinic violence in the US was in 2015.

From 2016 on the bombers have thought they were winning.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's more a case of the US's long history of only going after right wing terrorism when it is left with no other choice (OKC bombing) because its law enforcement agencies are busy aggressively going after any sort of progressive movement or person. Hell just look at how aggressive the DOJ has been in going after BLM protesters vs the farcical punishments handed out to literal secessionists. Their apathy towards abortion clinic bombings is just a result of that (and said agencies being full of right wingers who tend to be anti-choice).

*dusts off hands* welp it's all history now

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

There has been stuff going on at abortion clinics that rises to criminal harassment at minimum every day for decades.

I would also agree that allowing conservatives to win the abortion fight as the one weird trick to having them ultimately lose it is not going to go the way people think.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 9, 2021

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only reason Republican operatives would be worried about the Texas law being allowed is because if they ever succeed in outlawing abortion they not only lose that as a means to mobilize a segment of their voters but they also know full well what the national reaction is going to be the first time a pregnant woman is left to die an agonizing death in a US hospital like what happened in Ireland a few years ago.

What color is said woman? Because the rich white women will still get their care.

And the outrage hasn’t changed anything. If sandy hook couldn’t change the gun control debate….if “kids in cages” couldn’t change the immigration debate. Then a woman dying isn’t going to matter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

I believe they can continue to mobilize their base over "Dems want to legalize abortion again." The right wing media sphere is completely capable of making big scary issues whole cloth; why COULDN'T they mobilize people over something that's already true?

They could also just ignore that it's illegal and say it's happening anyway and we need more laws.

Like they do with illegal immigrants allegedly getting Obamacare, or with welfare. It's not like Democrats completely capitulating in the 90s and destroying welfare themselves convinced one single Republican that the country isn't overrun with welfare queens collecting endless government checks to spend on brand name sneakers and lobster and ringtones for their latest iphones

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1437053024535523333?s=20

In 2018 the Democrats beat the GOP by 20 points in Senate voting and the GOP gained two seats.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Groovelord Neato posted:

In 2018 the Democrats beat the GOP by 20 points in Senate voting and the GOP gained two seats.

'If enough people want it to change, it will' is some deeply Marie Antoinette poo poo lmao

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I was amazed Chris Wallace was permitted by his masters to even ask that question on a Fox News program given it fundamentally highlights the lack of legitimacy of all three Trump-era Justices, but the only reason it was asked was because he/his producers knew the answer Breyer offered would dismiss that highlighting and reassure people that it was totally fine and not a loving treason-adjacent action designed to consolidate sectarian power on the scale rarely seen since the Roman Republic's fall.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 12, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Amazed to see Breyer advocating for a vigilante purge of the Supreme Court, but here we are.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Extreme 'what are you gonna do, stab me?' vibes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Breyer please just loving retire/die already before you go and give the GOP yet another SCOTUS seat in a few years like RBG's selfish rear end did.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Maybe Thomas will die first??

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

a.lo posted:

Maybe Thomas will die first??

The GOP will just claim he's sleeping until the next GOP administration

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thomas will die after the Democrats lose the Senate in the midterms.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Papercut posted:

The GOP will just claim he's sleeping until the next GOP administration

RBG's family unironically should've done something like this until January.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Democrats: the supreme court is super illegitimate.
Also democrats:

Evil Fluffy posted:

RBG's family unironically should've done something like this until January.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

So how long before someone writes a book about how cool and radical he is and they have him on the cover with Tupac's do-rag to go along with RBG in Biggie's crown?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ilkhan posted:

Also democrats:

Pretending that kangaroo court is legitimate isn't magically going to make it be so.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Also democrats:

Both can be true you bootlicking Nazi garbage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett expressed concerns Sunday that the public may increasingly see the court as a partisan institution.

Justices must be “hyper vigilant to make sure they’re not letting personal biases creep into their decisions, since judges are people, too,” Barrett said at a lecture hosted by the University of Louisville’s McConnell Center.

Introduced by Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, who founded the center and played a key role in pushing through her confirmation in the last days of the Trump administration, Barrett spoke at length about her desire for others to see the Supreme Court as nonpartisan.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
:dementia:

Edit - they should impeach every person on the supreme appointed since 2016

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This woman said that Brown vs Board of Education was decided incorrectly and the only reason she wouldn't overturn it if given the chance was because there would be too many knock-on effects to other cases and also because no state would pass a law which would make the question appear before the court again so she'd never have the opportunity anyway.

But hey, we shouldn't be worried about the court being biased with her on it though. loving cultist ghoul.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

That was just the last successful attempt. A bomb was found and defused before it could go off at a local women’s clinic here in 2017 which led them to stop offering abortion services and now there are no such services available in an hour and a half drive radius. This is in a blue state.

Failed attempts still have a chilling effect and have the bonus of not making widespread news.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/tjotimmy8/status/1437773245336461312?s=20

Thomas also keeps the vote for his confirmation in the top drawer of his desk.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 14, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Also democrats:

drat, calling evil fluffy a democrat is pretty mean. Low blow guy, low blow

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/tjotimmy8/status/1437773245336461312?s=20

Thomas also keeps the vote for his confirmation in the top drawer of his desk.

Just wait 13 years to VOTE,it will fix everything

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
On the other hand, if people did vote for Hillary Clinton the court would be 6-3 Liberal right now, if Kennedy retired regardless of replacement; or 5-4 Liberal if he retired in exchange to get Kavannaugh to replace him in exchange for Hillary's pick to also get a vote.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

So you're 100% convinced Clinton would have been able to seat SCOTUS appointments? And one a month before the election?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand, if people did vote for Hillary Clinton the court would be 6-3 Liberal right now, if Kennedy retired regardless of replacement; or 5-4 Liberal if he retired in exchange to get Kavannaugh to replace him in exchange for Hillary's pick to also get a vote.

Wow cool! Now do if Gore had been allowed to win!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Stickman posted:

So you're 100% convinced Clinton would have been able to seat SCOTUS appointments? And one a month before the election?

I am convinced that Hillary would not have nominated the people currently serving, and would have made McConnell sit on all appointments for years further damaging the legitimacy of the court.

Yet another reason to have voted HC in 16

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Stickman posted:

RBG probably would've retired a lot sooner if Clinton won isn't really in doubt.

jeeves posted:

Wow cool! Now do if Gore had been allowed to win!

Isn't it pretty obvious that if more people voted for Gore such that there isn't a doubt in the outcome it wouldn't have come to a legal challenge? The USSC of 2000 isn't remotely as partisan as today and was not going to hand Bush a victory if all the networks called it for Gore instead and was well outside the margin of a recount.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 14, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lol if you folks think that McConnell would have run the confirmation hearings through if Hillary would have won. He would have just sat on them for her entire presidency.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lol if you folks think that McConnell would have run the confirmation hearings through if Hillary would have won. He would have just sat on them for her entire presidency.

He would've offered to confirm her pick in exchange for first nominating his own right wing selection and then after she did so he'd have just ignored her pick entirely. Maybe Clinton wouldn't have been dumb enough to fall for it but that's not a risk I'd want to bet on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I keep thinking about what people will do when Roe is overturned explicitly next year, and I can’t see any outcome other than people shrugging and accepting it after some large liberal-respectable protests where Biden or Pelosi says something like “the answer is ‘keep fighting’! Vote!” and maybe they sell tshirts of it later.

I don’t know if this is the right thread for it, but it’s really upsetting to me. Like with people deciding they won’t wear masks or get vaccinated, it seems like another thing that breaks society that there’s not a solution for in our present circumstance.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I keep thinking about what people will do when Roe is overturned explicitly next year, and I can’t see any outcome other than people shrugging and accepting it after some large liberal-respectable protests where Biden or Pelosi says something like “the answer is ‘keep fighting’! Vote!” and maybe they sell tshirts of it later.

I don’t know if this is the right thread for it, but it’s really upsetting to me. Like with people deciding they won’t wear masks or get vaccinated, it seems like another thing that breaks society that there’s not a solution for in our present circumstance.
The US is a bit of an outlier in having abortion legalized via the courts rather than by deliberate legislation. Abortion being a thing that state legislatures or congress can change with laws will make it a much more salient issue. Up until now there wasn't too much difference when voting based on abortion rights, so the only people who did were the really concerned anti-abortion types.

There's no reason to expect that to remain the status quo. Legalizing abortion is a fairly popular position nationally, including in quite a few states currently controlled by Republicans.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

No it wouldn't, Democrats lost the senate in 2016, McConnell would have just held the seat(s) open for 4 years and good luck getting reelected with covid ravaging the nation in 2020

E: even if they won the senate too, Republicans would just filibuster, and according to you Democrats can't use the nuclear option to change the filibuster rules because that's "calvinball" right?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

No it wouldn't, Democrats lost the senate in 2016, McConnell would have just held the seat(s) open for 4 years and good luck getting reelected with covid ravaging the nation in 2020

You mean like how all the governors who were proactive saw boosts in approval and helped them win reelection?

If Trump and his administration were even remotely competent at dealing with COVID he likely would've beaten Biden (EC wise for sure, popular vote probably not) while keeping the Senate. Instead he basically beat himself by doing less than nothing and causing a huge blow to the economy, the only thing he could point to as a 'success' during his time in office. Clinton wouldn't have burned Obama's pandemic playbook out of spite and I doubt she'd have spent weeks saying "nah it's fine it'll come and go NBD" because sure Clinton's full of herself but she also knows that a crisis is an opportunity for a politician.