Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

What was Jake Roberts' line about why his DDT was different? Something like "When I do it, they don't get up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The Rock Bottom is just a bodyslam, and he doesn't even get much height with it.

But if you can sell it as a finishing move, it's a finishing move.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The Mandible Claw was a finisher and all you realistically had to do was bite their fingers to counter it but nobody did because kayfabe. Britt Baker uses a fancy Mandible Claw as her finisher and it owns.

The Head Claw was a finisher. The Sleeper was a finisher for multiple people. Hogan used a goddamn leg drop. Dusty used an elbow drop. Big Show used a punch. Fat guys used splashes. Earthquake just sat on people after hopping around and running the ropes. The Lariat is literally just a clothesline but when Stan Hansen did it it was murder.

Tons of finishers are silly but kayfabe is awesome so gently caress these nerds who take everything literally in this goofy fightpunch theater business.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Mandible Claw was a finisher and all you realistically had to do was bite their fingers to counter it but nobody did because kayfabe. Britt Baker uses a fancy Mandible Claw as her finisher and it owns.

The Head Claw was a finisher. The Sleeper was a finisher for multiple people. Hogan used a goddamn leg drop. Dusty used an elbow drop. Big Show used a punch. Fat guys used splashes. Earthquake just sat on people after hopping around and running the ropes. The Lariat is literally just a clothesline but when Stan Hansen did it it was murder.

Tons of finishers are silly but kayfabe is awesome so gently caress these nerds who take everything literally in this goofy fightpunch theater business.

:hai:

I want someone to make a move that people would never think would be even close to a finisher into a finisher. Imagine killing your opponent with a headlock or back rake

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Saucer Crab posted:

What was Jake Roberts' line about why his DDT was different? Something like "When I do it, they don't get up."

It was something like that, yeah.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

the skull end isn't a finisher but sanada wants us to believe that it is, however i refuse

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

boxcarhobo posted:

the skull end isn't a finisher but sanada wants us to believe that it is, however i refuse

He never wins (with it) so it isn’t a finisher actually

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Sanada's actual finisher these days is the Muta Moonsault

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Head Claw was a finisher.

It was recently Lance Archer's finisher in NJPW for about a year with the name "EBD Claw" (Everybody Dies) before he went to AEW where he went back to the Blackout. It was simple, but it got over. He also had a Texas Death Match for the IWGP US title against Mox at Wrestle Kingdom where he did it while holding a plastic bag over Mox's face and it just looked brutal, with several comments in the GDT thread being along the lines of "drat, Lance, don't actually kill him!".

a cyborg mug posted:

I want someone to make a move that people would never think would be even close to a finisher into a finisher. Imagine killing your opponent with a headlock or back rake

I think Paul Heyman once said that you can get anything over as a killer move if you book it well, and brought up the idea of someole like Mark Henry killing guys with a basic headlock. Problem is, at the time Vince would have never gone for it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hoss Corncave posted:

It was recently Lance Archer's finisher in NJPW for about a year with the name "EBD Claw" (Everybody Dies) before he went to AEW where he went back to the Blackout. It was simple, but it got over. He also had a Texas Death Match for the IWGP US title against Mox at Wrestle Kingdom where he did it while holding a plastic bag over Mox's face and it just looked brutal, with several comments in the GDT thread being along the lines of "drat, Lance, don't actually kill him!"

iirc a big part of the EBD claw was him whacking his opponent's head against the mat repeatedly with it locked on.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

iirc a big part of the EBD claw was him whacking his opponent's head against the mat repeatedly with it locked on.

Yeah it was great. I really hope he's just saving it to re-debut in AEW at some point.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Wasn't he using it when he turned up in AEW? I've got memories of him murdering Big Dustin with it.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
lord help me i'm dying

https://twitter.com/RussPavey/status/1437154605482250240

https://twitter.com/RussPavey/status/1437158476157964298

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
The real answer is WWE isn't willing to pay the couple hundred dollars to re-wrap the production trucks because they don't care

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Vincent Kennedy McMahon-Dammit, a man known far and wide for his even temperament and forgiving, easygoing nature

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd be amazed if a local jobber named Phil Brookson doesn't show up some time soon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatansOnion posted:

Vincent Kennedy McMahon-Dammit, a man known far and wide for his even temperament and forgiving, easygoing nature

Indeed! Like letting New Day take Demolition's reign of the longest time with the tag belts but not actually having the New Day do much of anything during that time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RussPavey believes this about Vince McMahon but unironically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wfPlgKFh8

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Those stupid trucks are always years out of date. I remember one that still had Ezekiel Jackson and Eve Torres on it like 6 years after they left the company.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
For some reason Danielson's face being on the door is hilarious to me

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The only time I can remember those trucks not being out of date is when they ripped Enzo's face off like THE DAY they fired him, which just goes to show you how much they hated him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the Matt Hardy one is funnier because no one caught it until now.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

coconono posted:

the Matt Hardy one is funnier because no one caught it until now.

He’s only been gone since the beginning of the pandemic.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Lockjaw/Mandible Claw is totally buyable because the idea is that they're forcing your mouth to stay open. Try closing your jaw while your hand is pulling it down with equal force and squeezing your tongue. It's surprisingly hard. Now add the kayfabe that the whole time it's also pinching a nerve in your jaw, and it's a very unpleasant move.

a cyborg mug posted:

Genki Horiguchi has been using a backslide as a legitimate finisher for years, and it rules.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I mean the mandible claw was literally invented by for-real former doctor “Killer” Sam Sheppard.

What a weird life that guy led. Become an acclaimed surgeon, get accused and convicted of killing your wife, spend years in jail while your attorney tries to get an appeal going and agree to have cancer cells injected into you to help establish a pattern of good behavior, your attorney dies and F. Lee Bailey - that F. Lee Bailey, the guy who defended Patty Hearst in court and worked on OJ’s “dream team” - gets the appeal, wins it, gets it knocked back down by a higher court, knocks it up to the Supreme Court and a near-unanimous decision to free you because the original trial was a goddamn circus sideshow and should have been mistrialed the moment it was pointed out that the judge straight up told a paper ahead of the trial “oh yeah, he’s guilty” and never sequestered the jury(!). Try to re-establish your medical practice, but you’re too old and now a drunk because of the stress of regaining your freedom to perform surgery, your buddy trains you to be a pro wrestler, you invent a move that won’t achieve mainstream popularity for thirty loving years, a year into your new career you die because of your alcoholism either causing liver failure or severe brain damage. Your son devotes his life to clearing your name, thirty years after your death they exhume your wife’s corpse to get at the tissue of the fetus inside of her and it’s discovered that the fetus was already autopsied.

Almost makes you want to…

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Can't believe this wasn't the finish.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Cameo posted:

I mean the mandible claw was literally invented by for-real former doctor “Killer” Sam Sheppard.

What a weird life that guy led. Become an acclaimed surgeon, get accused and convicted of killing your wife, spend years in jail while your attorney tries to get an appeal going and agree to have cancer cells injected into you to help establish a pattern of good behavior, your attorney dies and F. Lee Bailey - that F. Lee Bailey, the guy who defended Patty Hearst in court and worked on OJ’s “dream team” - gets the appeal, wins it, gets it knocked back down by a higher court, knocks it up to the Supreme Court and a near-unanimous decision to free you because the original trial was a goddamn circus sideshow and should have been mistrialed the moment it was pointed out that the judge straight up told a paper ahead of the trial “oh yeah, he’s guilty” and never sequestered the jury(!). Try to re-establish your medical practice, but you’re too old and now a drunk because of the stress of regaining your freedom to perform surgery, your buddy trains you to be a pro wrestler, you invent a move that won’t achieve mainstream popularity for thirty loving years, a year into your new career you die because of your alcoholism either causing liver failure or severe brain damage. Your son devotes his life to clearing your name, thirty years after your death they exhume your wife’s corpse to get at the tissue of the fetus inside of her and it’s discovered that the fetus was already autopsied.

Almost makes you want to…

Wow! That's one hell of an act you got there! What do you call it?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

you left out the part where he was briefly married to Joesph Goebbels' wife's half sister

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Karma Tornado posted:

you left out the part where he was briefly married to Joesph Goebbels' wife's half sister

Of all the facts about the good doctor, thats one i did nazi coming.

:dadjoke:

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 13, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Wasn't he using it when he turned up in AEW? I've got memories of him murdering Big Dustin with it.

Yeah, he has used it a few times in AEW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"The Suzuki Incident" is now the #22 twitter trend in the US.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
nobody cares about these dumb wrestlers from japan aew will never get over with just new japan talent

THEY DISRESPECTED THE LEGEND OF MINORU SUZUKI

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

"The Suzuki Incident" is now the #22 twitter trend in the US.

A lot of the tweets are in good fun, at least. I don't know if there's a corner of Twitter that's serious about this, but I don't want to look that deep for it.

https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/1437433280161325064
https://twitter.com/AndrewTRich/status/1437434931307810825

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Oh those are all gold lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

A lot of the tweets are in good fun, at least. I don't know if there's a corner of Twitter that's serious about this, but I don't want to look that deep for it.

https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/1437433280161325064
https://twitter.com/AndrewTRich/status/1437434931307810825

The original tweet didn't receive a single QT or RT until I posted it here, everyone had moved on from The Suzuki Incident when he tweeted. So every single tweet about it is making fun of the Unofficial New Japan Fan Club North American Chapter.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/NJPWFanClubNA/status/1437450705627860995

https://twitter.com/NJPWFanClubNA/status/1437457446608388099

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
jesus christ

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1437467000201269251?s=20

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

can't you just try touching the hot stove again, maybe this time it won't hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Babyfaces cashing in to beat up a weakened opponent is so dumb. Like, who gets over that way?