Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I wouldn't normally post something from this subreddit, because who knows if it is real, but it is possible an oft-requested feature is coming soon to Xbox.

https://reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/pm3j4m/a_toggle_has_added_to_settings_in_prealpha_system/

quote:

A toggle has added to settings in pre-Alpha system, mute your TV audio when connect a headset to your Xbox

A toggle has added to settings in pre-Alpha system (forget the official name), mute your TV audio when you connect a headset/headphone. Normally it will rollout to Alpha/Aplpha SA within 2-3 weeks and all users 2-3 months later, just like the "4K" UI.
Screenshots NDA, no source.

This has come up a lot in this thread, and a toggle is the best possible outcome. Hopefully it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zerot posted:

I wouldn't normally post something from this subreddit, because who knows if it is real, but it is possible an oft-requested feature is coming soon to Xbox.

https://reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/pm3j4m/a_toggle_has_added_to_settings_in_prealpha_system/

This has come up a lot in this thread, and a toggle is the best possible outcome. Hopefully it happens.

Fuckin finally! It’s my pet peeve.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It's what I miss most coming from a PS4.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
PS4 doesn't have a toggle either. It just automatically mutes the console without any way to unmute, a worse solution than the current Xbox situation of having to press one button on your TV remote after connecting your headset.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

American McGay posted:

PS4 doesn't have a toggle either. It just automatically mutes the console without any way to unmute, a worse solution than the current Xbox situation of having to press one button on your TV remote after connecting your headset.

I admit this is the most pedantic poo poo ever, but I can't mute my tv because a big red Ghostbusters cross mark bounces around the screen like a screensaver on a DVD player. I have to manually turn the volume all the way down to zero, which is somehow not the same thing as mute. First world problems. I have an older LG OLED, for the record.

I'm happy about the addition if it works well.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

American McGay posted:

Nah it’s a way better solution because with the PS4 I’m never going to forget once to mute the tv when playing late at night and I’m never going to be annoyed by the blinking blue mute light on my sound bar.

Should this toggle exist it’s being flipped once and never touched again.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I've been playing Artful Escape and I'm pretty sure I haven't taken any drugs today.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tsietisin posted:

I've been playing Artful Escape and I'm pretty sure I haven't taken any drugs today.

Contact high?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Having a sound toggle is the most obvious solution to the problem and I'm curious why neither console did it. Being unable to stream my playstation with headphones because it mutes my stream audio is a huge no, and the while I can always lower the volume on the tv for the xbox many people here have shown that they can't be bothered with that. Maybe there is some sort of technical reason for it, but who really knows but the devs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tsietisin posted:

I needed drugs to finish it. Bleck!

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Bought Valhalla, my first rear end Creed since AC 2 and I'm not digging it as a stealth game. It's more of a Viking raiding simulator so far. So I abandoned it in favour of Hitman 3 and got the access pass for Hitman 1 since I've never played any of the games before.

Digging it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

23 Skidoo posted:

Bought Valhalla, my first rear end Creed since AC 2 and I'm not digging it as a stealth game. It's more of a Viking raiding simulator so far. So I abandoned it in favour of Hitman 3 and got the access pass for Hitman 1 since I've never played any of the games before.

Digging it.

Definitely don't play Valhalla as a stealth game. It's super broken.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Admittedly I haven't played Valhalla at all, and only the first few missions of Odyssey, but I don't think AC has been a stealth-focused game in years. Not since they dropped a couple of turd games and decided to just wholesale copy Witcher 3, at least

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

webmeister posted:

Admittedly I haven't played Valhalla at all, and only the first few missions of Odyssey, but I don't think AC has been a stealth-focused game in years. Not since they dropped a couple of turd games and decided to just wholesale copy Witcher 3, at least

Valhalla is a pretty good game where you play as a Viking. If you're looking for the old stealth from the first couple of games, stay right the gently caress away.

Still surprised they haven't copied the new Hitman games for an AC series.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
You definitely can play the newer AC games stealthily, especially with Valhalla's one-hit assassination stuff—it's just very clearly not the sole focus anymore. Going loud is usually way more satisfying and less time-consuming, the latter of which is important because Valhalla is very easy to sink 100+ hours into

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

You definitely can play the newer AC games stealthily, especially with Valhalla's one-hit assassination stuff— it's just very clearly not the sole focus anymore.

Yeah, this is what I meant. Sure it's possible and hell, Valhalla does good on it with the one-hit assassination option (stupid that Odyssey ever did away with that). But I think what most people miss is the assassin fantasy of the games, which just hasn't really been present too much in the game, and when it is (Hidden Ones) it gets put aside for a while before Ubisoft even remembers they did it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Skeezy posted:

Still surprised they haven't copied the new Hitman games for an AC series.
AC: Unity's assassination missions are mini-Hitman levels

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Ruffian Price posted:

Syndicate also has a bunch of hitman lite missions in it. Finding the assassination opportunities for an 11/10 over the top finish was always so satisfying.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Some good games on sale right now that ends shortly. You can see them all on the store but some notable picks are DragonBall FighterZ if you're a Marvel vs. Capcom fan, Trials HD (360 BC version) is a classic physics platformer, Soul Calibur VI is stupidly cheap (and X-Enhanced unlike Tekken 7 which is also on sale, so it looks fantastic and on par with the PC version) and some others such as the Borderlands Collection, Guardian Heroes (!!!), Mortal Kombat 11, Devil May Cry V, the Saints Row Remastered games and some other titles with pretty hefty (up to 80%) discounts.

Also for anyone that wants to grab it, Forza Motorsport 7 is on sale and will be permanently delisted from the store shortly. Not that big of a deal when the new Forza Horizon is due soon but for people who like the track-based racing of the series there won't be any Forza Motorsport games to buy on the store once this is gone. The assumption is the next Forza Motorsport will probably launch next year but nobody knows for sure and it could have a significantly reduced car and track count given they're developing for a new console again. Considering the long development time however I'm hoping that's indicative of a lot of content for launch and a good chunk of the better tracks from Forza 7 being updated and in the game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Yes I know, and they added the black box stuff to Valhalla with the last expansion. They should go all out with it though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
For some reason I thought the new Life Is Strange was going to be day one game pass and I'm really disappointed now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apparently it runs like poo poo at the moment

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It runs very well (on PC).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Blue Raider posted:

No idea. I played it a couple of years ago and found matches, but I guess it’s like most shooters and the only people that still play it are the die hards. Titanfall has a very high skill ceiling, so these people are likely filthy after 8 years of practice.

It's actually much easier to get a game in T1 than T2 for some reason. Sucks they'll probably never make another one

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Professor Beetus posted:

For some reason I thought the new Life Is Strange was going to be day one game pass and I'm really disappointed now.

I've heard critics say it's the best one yet.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Apparently it runs like poo poo at the moment

It's fine on Series X. A little chunky with ray tracing on in the outdoor scenes and the loading times are rough.

It's not really a game that needs high performance. I'm pretty impressed with how it looks. The facial animations are great.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I wish they would make assassins creed games just contained stories set in historic locales and leave out the ancient aliens and what have you. That crap has always been the weakest part in the ones I’ve played with 2 as an exception.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Blue Raider posted:

I wish they would make assassins creed games just contained stories set in historic locales and leave out the ancient aliens and what have you. That crap has always been the weakest part in the ones I’ve played with 2 as an exception.

You'd think they would have realised all this after Black Flag, where the protagonist becomes an Assassin by finding the outfit, and then when someone tries to explain the significance and the lore and backstory etc, he basically just goes "yeah whatever, I don't care about any of that, just let me stab people from hay piles". It was one of the best (and best-received!) games in the series :v:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

webmeister posted:

You'd think they would have realised all this after Black Flag, where the protagonist becomes an Assassin by finding the outfit, and then when someone tries to explain the significance and the lore and backstory etc, he basically just goes "yeah whatever, I don't care about any of that, just let me stab people from hay piles". It was one of the best (and best-received!) games in the series :v:

Black Flag is greatly partly because the plot starts there and he goes on an actual character evolving journey into the assassin's and templars and learns and changes.

Which is also nice in Origins when it flirts with that. I haven't played beyond those. But most AC games give you flat characters who travel in a bee line to their revenge. Origins' secret sauce to me is just every time Bayek interacts with children, he almost becomes a different, happy person and it's simultaneously endearing and heartbreaking. Origins is good!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lammasu posted:

I've heard critics say it's the best one yet.

Yeah, I checked into the game pass thing because I heard lots of good buzz and I was excited they did a whole game instead of putting it out episodically. There's also a hilarious tiktok of a streamer playing on "streamer DMCA friendly mode" that doesn't even bother to replace the cut music with anything so the main characters just look like psychos for 2 minutes, it's pretty great and doesn't spoil anything if you look it up; apologies in advance for losing the link.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

webmeister posted:

It seems they tried this again with Valhalla in which your character is not an assassin at all through the story. At one point an assassin shows you how to fall properly and gifts you a hidden blade, which you wear incorrectly for the remainder of the game.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I'm that person.

I'm the one that actually liked the modern day story in conjunction with the historical setting. I kind of miss the simultaneous plots that are mostly missing from the most recent trilogy.

I just couldn't get into Origins or Odyssey. I'm not sure exactly what it was but they didn't feel like assassins creed games. And I hated the level gatekeeping with a passion.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Tsietisin posted:

I'm that person.

I'm the one that actually liked the modern day story in conjunction with the historical setting. I kind of miss the simultaneous plots that are mostly missing from the most recent trilogy.

I just couldn't get into Origins or Odyssey. I'm not sure exactly what it was but they didn't feel like assassins creed games. And I hated the level gatekeeping with a passion.

I wouldn't mind the modern story if it wasn't such a mess now.

I played the Odyssey and the first 2 DLCs for it. I had started the third one, but put it down for some reason.
Played Valhalla and was a little confused about what was going on with Layla and figured it was just something I missed in the DLC and that I'd go back and play it and find out.

I never got around to it until this past week when I tried playing and the game just wasn't landing with me anymore so I watched a video of the cutscenes.
It still didn't answer any of the questions about what happened from when Layla contacted her team and her working with the the team in Valhalla.
I don't remember them even mentioning about what happened to Otso Berg after Layla crippled him.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, I checked into the game pass thing because I heard lots of good buzz and I was excited they did a whole game instead of putting it out episodically. There's also a hilarious tiktok of a streamer playing on "streamer DMCA friendly mode" that doesn't even bother to replace the cut music with anything so the main characters just look like psychos for 2 minutes, it's pretty great and doesn't spoil anything if you look it up; apologies in advance for losing the link.
I stream to like a half dozen people max and have gotten DMCAed due to in game music. When GTA Vice City HD comes out I'm getting banned/sued.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I stream to like a half dozen people max and have gotten DMCAed due to in game music. When GTA Vice City HD comes out I'm getting banned/sued.

It’s pretty ridiculous that this is how it is.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My Extra Life stream got cut because of "Four Little Diamonds" playing in Vice City. RIP.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

RodShaft posted:

Did they DMCA the stream or the vods? I follow a guy that does very little but watch music videos and talk poo poo about them, and he’s going strong.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Not really that surprising considering Arkane is one of the best singleplayer developers in the industry, but reviews for Deathloop are coming out and the consensus appears to be that it is a masterpiece. IGN and Gamespot both awarded it 10/10 and I cannot wait for it to hit Xbox next year and see what extra content may be included. I imagine that the game will see high quality DLC much like their prior releases. Out of the whole Bethesda deal I think Arkane will go on to become one of Xbox's singleplayer powerhouses given the sheer quality of their output. Here's a couple of video reviews for anyone who feels like watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn6xfWyYkB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_wHbSmEaTE

Very excited to see how Redfall turns out as well. We've only seen a prerendered trailer so far but the premise looks like another fun and inventive take on Arkane's core formula that they somehow find ways to keep improving.

Hopefully Dishonored 2 gets an FPS Boost like Arkane's other titles soon as well. It's the only one yet to bumped up to 60fps and considering Death of the Outsider was a smaller scale sequel running on the same engine and tech I hope that it isn't forgotten or some bizarre technical hitch specific to Dishonored 2 only is preventing the upgrade.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RodShaft posted:

How is this such an issue for music when you're literally streaming loving video games in their entirety. Maybe the music industry should wise up that people are more inclined to get into your music if they can hear it. No one is shutting off their spotify or not going to live shows because they're getting their music fix from someone streaming a bideo game. YouTube dmca'd me for a 20 second clip of Haddaway's "what is love" because I dubbed it over a funny animation glitch I got that made Wrex and Ashley look like they were bopping like the SNL sketch. I actually appealed arguing that it was clearly fair use and less than 30 seconds of the song and they just denied me with no reason given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Music DMCA poo poo drives me nuts. Everyone who can is paying for a streaming service, either directly or indirectly. The ones who can't aren't using Twitch streams of GTA as a replacement. They got their defacto music tax, it's time to stop acting like there's some awful risk of Unauthorized Listening, and if they can't then let's all go back to pirating like in 2005.