Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1435850762341519362?s=19

P

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1435869920512954368?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think the story was just too rote to really garner any attention. The premise of "candymancers trying to destroy/protect the world" is perfectly fine and I'd be lying if I wasn't interested in things like a mysterious willy wonka factory leaving mutagenic sweets on the shelves. Plus we had the idea that someone's power could go out of control resulting in a massive increase in size and the MC pulling some questionable candymancing out in the end. The problem I see is less about it being a parody and more the story just pulling from too much familiar stock with nothing gripping to add. Felt kind of like a flavor of World Trigger what with the public defense force installing an agent as a transfer student but even that trope is well worn. The execution just wasn't there.

Like, I look at mashle and despite there being some clear inspirations from ONE's Mob Psycho and even One Punch Man the story has solid visuals, I love how Mash flips from being a stoic to the point of being funny to painfully serious when someone he knows is threatened. The Wizarding world of harry potter as it's initially presented gave me a decent enough reason to care, Mash has to infiltrate a school of magic with just superhuman feats of strength like crushing his pen to make magical letters stand in line. The comedy is what sold me more than anything else the initial chapters. The other character's aren't as strong in terms of presence but fit well into the mold and complement mash. That was enough to carry things until we started to become more like Naruto but by that point we've exceeded the dreaded first 19 chapters. Looking at Roboco I think one of the reasons it's survived as well is because it's jokes are landing as well.

For Candy Flurry since it wasn't trying to be super funny I think it could have leaned into a more serious kind of opening. The MC could have been actively looking for the lolipop criminal and be some type of vigilante that tracks down other rogue sweet users trying to find leads while trying to keep her public image dissociated from her power. Make her more proactive instead of someone just living life hiding in plain sight. And that can be how she gets on the radar of the police as well instead of it being some fluke.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Candy Flurry had a really good premise. It’s completely stupid, but it worked. I latched onto
it so I’m probably not seeing the negatives as much but I honestly thought it was way better than Red Hood or Neru. Where with Red Hood I’m still reading it but that feels more generic to me, and I really don’t like the art because it’s so much more chaotic and hard to follow at times.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

I'm just going to say that I'm mystified by how One Piece can manage to stay up there at the very top: the current arc has been dragging quite a lot, and the arc before that too. I get that it's basically a money printing machine, but it's starting to get annoying.

Colour pages for big series usually put the series at the to by default

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the candy stuff was completely forgettable, but i loved the character writing.

So you don’t want the GOD drat candy flurry?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Brought To You By posted:

Felt kind of like a flavor of World Trigger what with the public defense force installing an agent as a transfer student but even that trope is well worn. The execution just wasn't there.

Looking back, actually, how did World Trigger manage to not get canceled when it started? I always saw it as having a weak beginning—the first dozen chapters are pretty boring—but of course if a series actually has a weak beginning it doesn’t survive, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sometimes there isn't a whole lot of competition and slow starters get a chance.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

getting caught up on Dandadan and getting a bit sad about how it gets to goof around with the exact plot element i had hoped to see play out in Phantom Seer: a normie/romantic rival getting inducted into the supernatural world via some Frankensteining

DDD's Acro-Silky Aira and PS's Kamaitachi Komachi are both great designs too

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-baHj9N6dM

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

nrook posted:

Looking back, actually, how did World Trigger manage to not get canceled when it started? I always saw it as having a weak beginning—the first dozen chapters are pretty boring—but of course if a series actually has a weak beginning it doesn’t survive, right?

The current arc of World Trigger is incredibly boring, and it being monthly only makes it more painful. I don't really know what the payoff is going to be, but I hope it's good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I will never forgive Jump.
If candy flurry leaned harder on its gag goofball side itd have been better received.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's really weird to have a one shot called Dadadadan when Jump Plus just started Dandadan this year.

It also feels weird to have something with another doomed sounding premise replace Candy Flurry. Because the candy thing was a bit of a hard sell, and piano isn't much better.

If I had to guess why Candy Flurry got canned, I'd start with it having no good hook in the opening chapter. Candy powers are a kind of goofy gimmick, but it's not leaned into for a joke. There's no interesting villain beyond the long term clear my name thing, the lead doesn't start with good interpersonal dynamics beyond a pretty basic one with the first government agent, the art's fine but not amazing, and in general there's nothing (like Red Hood's weird wolf monsters, or Neru's old school style) to even get people to give it a "I'm onboard for chapter 2".

And then it never added anything dramatic to change people's opinion. There wasn't a moment like Jujutsu Kaisen dramatically promising one of the three leads would die, or Chainsaw Man introducing Power, or even I Tell C's failed pivots. We just got more of the same, done better. Sure, the humor got better, but it was never Hinamatsuri funny. Sure, the plot got more direction, but it was stock "join the organization" beats.

It wasn't terrible, but Candy Flurry started bad and never got good enough to recover. And in a magazine as competitive as Jump, that's a death sentence.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

It's really weird to have a one shot called Dadadadan when Jump Plus just started Dandadan this year.

It also feels weird to have something with another doomed sounding premise replace Candy Flurry. Because the candy thing was a bit of a hard sell, and piano isn't much better.

There's a weird trend recently to have a lot of repeating syllables in series names. Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction, Dadadadadan, Dandadan, I'm fairly certain there's more too. Wonder what started the trend, maybe Durarara? I would say maybe Japan just likes repeating characters, but it seems like it's a relatively recent trend (maybe only the last 5-10 years)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

There's a weird trend recently to have a lot of repeating syllables in series names. Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction, Dadadadadan, Dandadan, I'm fairly certain there's more too. Wonder what started the trend, maybe Durarara? I would say maybe Japan just likes repeating characters, but it seems like it's a relatively recent trend (maybe only the last 5-10 years)

It's a horrible trend because it's impossible to remember how many times the syllable repeats.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Must be a pretty harsh business if Beethoven's 5th only qualified for a one-shot

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
I blame repeat syllables on Bobobobobobohowdoistopbo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sanda Ch 2

”There seem to be a pack of frenzied chihuahuas outside the school. Please use caution”

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Paru has an absolutely bizarre writing process, but when it works it really works. I'm starting to get into this weird rear end manga.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
There is something mentally incorrect with the Itagaki family. I enjoy their works immensely.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sakamoto days continues to be the standout of sunday updates. Really strong character introductions this update and I love Slice the most he's delightfully OCD about things. I also love that the old man from his one-shot is back in action.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I look forward to the rest of the new Sakamoto arc a lot now after seeing the old guy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Red Hood is pretty fun this week too. I really hope it survives.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

Unlike poor Mash, who died this week

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lmao @ Fire Force this week

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm completely into this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Ranking's pretty bad this week, but Jump has two slots open, so it's got until the next round of serialization to shape up. It's trending on twitter in a positive way, and if the common belief that chapter rankings reflect surveys from two months ago then it's being ranked on its worst chapters so there's room for recovery.

That said, yeah. Current ranking is worrisome, and Jump is pretty competitive right now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

It's so bizzare in a good way.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Candy Flurry: I'll never forgive Shounen Jump (Part 2). It's sad to lose a charming series so early on as it was finding its groove. I hope the author can return with a new series and hit it big.

Elusive Samurai: Really good concluding chapter for the arc, also the dude with the smiley face is the best. I look forward to Elusive more than any other series in SJ (besides One Piece and occasionally Sakamoto) at the moment. Glad it's going strong.

Mashle: Feelin' pretty meh-shle. I refuse to give dogsicle any satisfaction though.

Roboco: Still decent!

Sakamoto: Very good chapter, really excited for all the poo poo to go down, holy poo poo this is some good stuff.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I loved Sakamoto's scene with the assassins in the van. There's something deeply hilarious to me about the exchange of "I missed our exit, let me back up a little" "WE'RE ON THE FREEWAY"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Elusive Samurai: Really good concluding chapter for the arc, also the dude with the smiley face is the best. I look forward to Elusive more than any other series in SJ (besides One Piece and occasionally Sakamoto) at the moment. Glad it's going strong.

Honestly I think Elusive Samurai and Sakamoto are the best non-one-piece series in jump right now. They both have great writing, creative fights, funny comedy (more Sakamoto than samurai), and great art (more samurai than Sakamoto). I consistently enjoy their chapters more than MHA or JJK, both of which I've been following for quite a while. I really hope they keep going strong.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
JJK's strongest chapter in a while was Maki running through the Zenin household, and the most recent stuff before and after that has just been whatever (I'm still not sold on this stupid death game) IMO.

Sakamoto kicks rear end. I think the character modeling on it is really good everyone looks nice and distinct and weird and the author's shown a pretty deft hand at quickly sketching out characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

JJK's strongest chapter in a while was Maki running through the Zenin household, and the most recent stuff before and after that has just been whatever (I'm still not sold on this stupid death game) IMO.

Sakamoto kicks rear end. I think the character modeling on it is really good everyone looks nice and distinct and weird and the author's shown a pretty deft hand at quickly sketching out characters.

I think the Culling game looks very interesting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jjk still has the problem for me where powers and terminology turns the translation into a stilted mess, but it and mha/undead are honestly the things that i rarely miss weekly because i simply care about the plot developments. everything else will only get better if i let it sit for a week or more, so i don't mind.

sometimes a series will hit a peak/arc that makes it a must though, and it's not like i'd disagree with sakamoto and elusive as big up and comers either. but thinking about it, the jump+ lineup is where it feels like they've got the best stuff that also just compels me to pick up the chapters asap.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Alacron posted:

I loved Sakamoto's scene with the assassins in the van. There's something deeply hilarious to me about the exchange of "I missed our exit, let me back up a little" "WE'RE ON THE FREEWAY"

Can't wait for all the assassins to find a job working at Sakamoto's grocery store. Last week still had one of my favorite understated gags in the whole series, with the Triad dude calmly helping the old lady shop while also expositing about X.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Undead: Cool armor bro, but what's it do? I wonder how Creed is feeling now.

Sakamoto: The movie theater returns. I just love how different the three react to the movies each time they go in there. Combined with how the author is taking the time to establish the new killers and the order group killers without really losing pace is quite something.
I don't remember the old guy though? When did he show up before?
I wonder if the OCD guy will join the crew to keep the stock filled for Sakamoto, I'd think he'd be pretty good at that.

Elusive Samurai: I think this was my favourite arc so far. It looked really good. Had a good plan going. And instead of using the art shift to establish how evil someone is, he used an art shift to just add some levity to this chapter. Like the :) man brutally murdering everyone and the square guy. It was good stuff.

Candy Flurry. This was a typical last chapter of a canned series. You can see glimmers of greatness, but it's rushed and doesn't quite land the beats it wanted too. I'm saddened that just as this series was finding its feet it had to die. I really hope the mangaka gets a second chance and will play to his strengths.

Witch Watch Guess the tiny warlock isn't joining, but we got a werewolf out of the deal. So that's not so bad. Cool chapter though. It continues to be just an easily digestible series. Which made the way the warlock died seem even worse than it was.

Mashle: I was hyped for Mash to go Rock Lee on !Gaara. But then some stuff happened that I didn't understand at all? :psyduck: Mashle is hard at work at losing me. This chapter was basically saved by Mashle being just as confused as I was and summarizing the new goal. Destroy the dark magic school. :shrug: Okay, I'm game.

Me and Roboco: :)

Magu chan: :)

Neru: Neru meanwhile is doing a good job at selling itself to me. Good chapter. :) No surprises story wise though

Currently I'd say the things I look forward to the most are Sakamoto, Mashle and Witch Watch. I was quite invested in Candy Flurry at this point as well.
I'm always quite interested in Elusive Samurai, but I'm also always apprehensive in case it goes too deep for me with Japanese History and names that really don't mean anything to me. :shrug: Also annoying monk guy. :( The less he's in it the better.
Magu chan and Roboco are somewhat the same for me. I don't really look forward to reading them in the same way, but generally I'm really happy when I have read them. Especially Roboco which never fails to at least elicit a sensible chuckle.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sindai posted:

This chapter is all a lot of words and pictures to say "I like drawing boobs".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I don't remember the old guy though? When did he show up before?
He's from a one-shot the author did titled Garaku

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I enjoy reading Witch Watch.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think the Culling game looks very interesting.

I think my problem with the culling game is that this is like, the first chapter it's really felt relevant since it was introduced. I don't even remember all the rules or whatever, I'm glad the latest chapter reminded me of them. I'm also not super clear on why it's even happening? I'm sure it was explained I've just forgotten besides "bad guy did it" - I guess to get rid of non-curse users? Except he punishes curse users by removing their curse techniques? I guess so then they'll be killed too? But participation isn't forced for curse users, unless they took a cursed tool from bad guy or whatever? It's kind of arbitrary and convoluted and there really hasn't been much focus on it. I could see it working if the plot was very heavily revolving around it, in a way that something like Alice in Borderland does it, but we still have all this other story stuff that needs focusing on so we haven't really had time to devote to it yet. This chapter feels like the first "real" chapter of the culling game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I think JJK messed up by introducing a tournament/HxH-esque game and then noodled around for a bunch of chapters. This chapter it felt relevant because the characters were discussing ways to break the rules and out smart the contest, which is always half the fun of these dumb arbitrarily ruled games. If the game had just started the previous chapter you'd get the initial rush of "ok there's going to be a tournament-ish arc, lets see where this goes!" and then follow that up with the characters immediately strategerizing and trying to be clever.

Might be a writing misstep or maybe it all reads fine once its over, but I think sticking closer to convention would have been better for this particular plot. Also the rules of the contest were so obviously bad for the good guy heroes that you know they'd have to either introduce dozens of fodder bad guys or have them find some way to out clever it, which isn't a great design in a manga where the characters cleverness usually just extends to how they punch people.